• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amateur Marth VIDEO

Cocatriz

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone!, finally I join to this fantastic comunity.
Im from Spain and I love SSBM the problem is that I don't have friends here that want to learn the competitive Melee mechanics, so all i can do for now is try to learn all these stuff by myself againts CPU's... :(
Here I show a video trying to play Malee decent...but im sure that you guys could tell me some tips to know what i need to work/focus on...thanks to everyone.

Last edited:

Plebeian

Smash Rookie
ok it seems that you don't play all that bad considering how you just play against CPU's. Heres a few initial reactions (btw I'm not pro by any standards):

* You approach way too often using Neutral Airs / Airials. Yeah, it's a CPU and you can approach them with Air attacks (cos they're stupid, lol) but it will not work against most humans, it's too easy to just shieldgrab marths arials. Approach enemies in the air with your airials, or other attacks which you can punish also works. But since this is SHFFL training maybe you're just doing that to train SHFFLs, in which case fine.

* Try to work on dash dancing. Again, dash dancing is hard to practice against CPU's, but at least try to get a feel for it.

* Any specific reason why you are practicing against a Ganondorf? Whenever I play against CPU's I usually do it against Foxes or Falcos because then I can train chaingrabbing and also powershielding (both are necessary skills to know).

Cocatriz

Smash Rookie
thanks for the reply...I usually play against ganondorf because for now all my training is based on shffl and is a heavy character that could be easy comboed by shffl but im agree with you is a cpu so soon or later i will need some other tactics besides shffl...i start training dash dance just recently, before that i usually do just wavedash for practically all my moves (specially wavedash backwards facing opponent) Im practicing on a NTSC V1.0 ISO any problem with that? I consider the Ntsc marth much more deadly than on pal (down aerial spike instead of meteor smash).probably the next step should be jc grabs and chain throwing, but i think i need still practicing shffl too...still missin the 15% of the L-cancels when i miss the fast fall timing,well thanks for the advices friend.

MangoNation

Smash Rookie
thanks for the reply...I usually play against ganondorf because for now all my training is based on shffl and is a heavy character that could be easy comboed by shffl but im agree with you is a cpu so soon or later i will need some other tactics besides shffl...i start training dash dance just recently, before that i usually do just wavedash for practically all my moves (specially wavedash backwards facing opponent) Im practicing on a NTSC V1.0 ISO any problem with that? I consider the Ntsc marth much more deadly than on pal (down aerial spike instead of meteor smash).probably the next step should be jc grabs and chain throwing, but i think i need still practicing shffl too...still missin the 15% of the L-cancels when i miss the fast fall timing,well thanks for the advices friend.
Hey man, It's good that you are using bots because you have no other players to play with. Just look at mew2king (M2K) He only played with bots and hes the "2nd" best player in the world and I think that should be a inspiration towards you.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I'm a beginner, but I do still know some things you can work on.

• Work on your dash dancing a bit. Just go into FD on training mode and practice like that.
  • You should work on using the dancing blades. I wouldn't use them to edgegaurd or gimp recoveries, but use them onstage.
  • Try approaching with other attacks instead of arials sometimes.
  • Also, just cut out any unnecessary things you are doing (EX: Shffling and wavedashing after enemy is killed), just try to make the game as simple as possible.

Top Bottom