• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All in one pal iso without replacing trophies (sharing my last wip mod thingy)

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
Sup y´all?
This was the last mod I made back when I was still interested in playing melee, thought I might share it with you guys.

Long story short: It does the same thing that achilles does in 20xx. It replace the file path name with a different one (for custom skins, ntsc chars, music etc.), only difference is that the table of contents of the iso has been modified to allow ADDITIONAL files to be placed inside the iso (that means you no longer overwrite trophies. You get the single player mode back, aint that a blast).

With this modification the following file´s will all get an additional copy (pretty much like an additional slot for all your custom goodies):
DbCo.dat
All effect files (Ef****.dat)
All stage files (Gr***.dat) (exept GrVe and GrPs, those already have 5 slots through language selection)
All textures (Pl***.dat) /also the char attack data to switch between ntsc and pal
BGM ( audio/*****.hps)
custom sound effect for chars

all conveniently accessible form the language select option screen:

If that sounds like your cup of tea download the files from https://www.mediafire.com/?4xllldu34zl35xf, get your custom skins and everything ready (you will only know if it´s working if you put custom skins in, otherwise you are just replacing vanilla files with copied vanilla files and you won´t see it) and prepare yourself to copy/paste like never before in your life.

[COLLAPSE="How to set up your iso"]
I´m assuming you know the following things in advance:
-how to export/rebuild isos with the rebuilder.
-what filename does what( for instance PlCaRe.ukd is red skin for CF etc)

There won´t be any pictures or visual tutorial here, you´re a strong independent melee modifier who don´t need nobody to tell him how to do things he has probably done a million times for the 20xx pack anyway.

Okay, let´s go....
1) Open your PAL iso with the rebuilder and export the root somewhere and close the rebuilder again (duh)

2) Add the files form the rar into the iso. They are mostly already prepared ntsc chars. you can of course add your own crazy melee minus chars, the only thing really important are the start.dol & game.toc in the "&&systemdata" folder

3)Add your custom files.
3.1) custom sound effects
the additional slot for custom sounds is the "audio/us" folder, paste all your sound effects there without changing their name at all

3.2) custom BGM
add your custom BGM into the audio folder after giving them the ending ".hpz"
warning: there´s still the 1,45 gb limit on the total iso size, don´t add 30 custom tracks that are all 30mb big, that will obviously NOT work. For starters just copy the original OST and maybe 1 or 2 small custom songs.

3.3) custom stages
add the custom stages to the root, give them the ending ".daz",except the 2 stated above.
for those 2 just overwrite the .gmd and .spd version of that stage

3.4)DbCo.dat & All effect files (ALL Ef****.dat)
just like 3.3 with the ending ".daz" into the root folder

3.5)All textures (ALL Pl***.dat)
you guessed it, just like 3.3 with the ending ".daz" into the root with those suckers

and yes, you have to add all of them or else the rebuilder give you an error message "file zzz.ppp not found"
in case you dont have a custom version of that specific file just copy the original one and change the ending

4) (OPTIONAL) language fix
my guess is that most won´t be able to read all 5 languages of the iso so let´s just replace all texts with the english version. for that go through the entire iso and everytime there´s a file in multiple iterations with the endings
.gmd / .frd / .ukd / .itd / .spd
copy the one with .ukd 4 times and replace all the others with that one

5) rebuild and test

[/COLLAPSE]

known issues:
-additional languages now only have english audio. sorry, had to save some space at some place. But honestly I shouldn´t be excusing myself for that. If you really want the german/french version of jiggs there´s something seriously wrong with you.
-the code only takes place after you switch the language once, meaning after bootup everything is always going to be vanilla pal until you change the language once (can someone get a dol mod going to always boot up in english?)
-no texts etc of the menu where changed. I tried to find the flag-icons in the MnMaAll.ukd file but failed miserably and gave up. If you want to try feel free to test your luck

[COLLAPSE="Notes about adding files to an ISO"]
*Pasted by Achilles from a Facebook conversation with Sham Rock stating he is having trouble logging in.

Some of the information is just based on assumptions and I´m not even sure how accurate it is. But in case you ever want to play around with it yourself the 1 definitive thing I can recall from the top of my head is that the toc is devided into 2 parts. the first part contains the structural information about each file and the second part contains the file names. You can clearly see the where the second part begins in HxD. If you take the length of the first part and divide it by the number of files in the iso you get the length of one property/parameter string. They usually have like a 00 00 in between them to to make it even easier to see. Now specific parts of that string have different settings, for instance there are 2 byte that describe the y-offset and 2 that describe the x-offset in the second part of the table, meaning (in compiler logic) something like: look at the offset yy yy xx xx of this toc, that´s where the name of this file starts. go there and copy the name until and end sign is hit ( 00 IIRC). That´s the basic logic behind it as far as i know. Also I tried to find something related to the final size of the iso to get rid of the pesky 1,45Gb limit, but that also failed..............

However there´s good news: NONE OF THE ABOVE MATTERS, you don´t need to know anything about the toc to add files. I´ve discovered at some point of the middle of testing that the gc iso rebuilder already has a functionality to do so. What you do is you export a root, add/remove as much as your heart desires and then before you open that root again you go under option and tick "do not use game.toc". That will cause the program to add everything that is in the root into the iso (except the systemdata folder, you´re not allowed to add misc data in there for reasons only cthulhu knows, so remove the .bak after editing the start.dol). That´s really all there is to it. Sometimes serendipity is worth far more that effort^^.

For space reasons i would highly recommend you to replace the special melee video thingy that´s only in the ntsc version of the game with a custom one second long black video, that should give you enough space for all the custom goodies. Or at least that´s my assumption since brawl also saved 4Gb from removing the story mode video cut-scenes.
[/COLLAPSE]

EDIT: found my (mostly) clean notes on the code and the start.dol modifications
EDIT 2: Added a blip from Sham Rock about adding files to an ISO. - Achilles 11/30/14

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Godlike.

Having access to additional files is hugggggee. To say I'm excited for the notes is quite an understatement. I'll feel like a middle aged woman reading fifty shades of grey.

You're the man, Sham rock.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
This is fuggin great! I love 1P mode and I'm exited to be able to play it again without troubles.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
Now I can't decide whether I want Pummeluff or RONDOUDOU as a custom ntsc sound pack.

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
Now I can't decide whether I want Pummeluff or RONDOUDOU as a custom ntsc sound pack.
You fool, the only sound effect other than jigglypuff that is acceptable is purin, since that´s the only one that doesn´t cause ear bleeding over an extended period of exposure.

FYI for all: certain custom stages have caused issues for the testing group of this iso. mainly ntsc custom versions of pokemon stadium(multiplayer) and green greens(singleplayer). You might experience a lockup of the game every now and then with those, that´s the stage file´s fault, NOT the code or anything.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
I just added notes on the OP about adding files to an ISO that Sham Rock sent me.
Started thinking about this when you were talking about using trophy files to store extra textures in 20XX, and I never asked if you tried just adding an extra file. Still wondering how gcrebuilder does it. The toc/fst it makes is so different from a normal gc iso; it aligns the files starting at a different and extremely large offset.

Hey, if it works...

zankyou

Smash Lord
This is amazing. Has any progress been made on porting this over to 1.02. I plan on looking into this and wanted to know if I was the only one.

Doq

Smash Lord
This is amazing. Has any progress been made on porting this over to 1.02. I plan on looking into this and wanted to know if I was the only one.
I have plans to work on a custom/vanilla build compatible with 20XX.

Getting it 20XX compatible will be the hardest part.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I have plans to work on a custom/vanilla build compatible with 20XX.

Getting it 20XX compatible will be the hardest part.
Yeah that actually sounds really hard without achilles help. I really just want to be able to add multiple versions of the same stage into the game.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yeah that actually sounds really hard without achilles help. I really just want to be able to add multiple versions of the same stage into the game.
The new 20XX will be using these ideas for PAL chars, alt costumes, and hacked stages. Id like to make a new, hacked stage select screen as well, now that we have some new good ones. There will be multiple versions of the same stage.

There was some unknown bug causing incompatibility with the current 20XX and adding new files to the ISO. Today, I started remaking 20XX from scratch using a vanilla DOL (so mainly just reinserting codes and not rewriting them). It's a tedious process, but I've been wanting to restructure some things and fix/trim a few codes that I've been meaning to work on. It will be good in the long run, and everything is working as of now.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
So adding a file as a random dat allowed me to just add 1 file. But I broke the bgm. Plays event music instead. Its kinda funny. And I cant just change the extension of 1 because it breaks the game.
Edit: Nvm. Im an idiot. Was accidentally using one of my hacked isos to test it. Seems like you can add just 1 file and change the extension. Im pretty sure random music breaks it.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
However there´s good news: NONE OF THE ABOVE MATTERS, you don´t need to know anything about the toc to add files. I´ve discovered at some point of the middle of testing that the gc iso rebuilder already has a functionality to do so. What you do is you export a root, add/remove as much as your heart desires and then before you open that root again you go under option and tick "do not use game.toc". That will cause the program to add everything that is in the root into the iso (except the systemdata folder, you´re not allowed to add misc data in there for reasons only cthulhu knows, so remove the .bak after editing the start.dol). That´s really all there is to it. Sometimes serendipity is worth far more that effort^^.

For space reasons i would highly recommend you to replace the special melee video thingy that´s only in the ntsc version of the game with a custom one second long black video, that should give you enough space for all the custom goodies. Or at least that´s my assumption since brawl also saved 4Gb from removing the story mode video cut-scenes.

EDIT: found my (mostly) clean notes on the code and the start.dol modifications
EDIT 2: Added a blip from Sham Rock about adding files to an ISO. - Achilles 11/30/14
Having a little trouble with this at the moment. Just so I'm clear on my goal to replace files, is this what I need to do?

1. Export the root of the iso (in my case a 1.00 iso)
2. Add additional files with a new extension (I've added an additional 27 .pal character files and 27 .sdr character files. some are v1.0 characters since there are no changes)
3. Open gcr and check the option "do not use game .toc files."
4. Rebuild
5. Change the extensions in ram (I'm doing this manually at the moment just for testing with no luck)

Any help?
@ Sham Rock Sham Rock @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515

zankyou

Smash Lord
Having a little trouble with this at the moment. Just so I'm clear on my goal to replace files, is this what I need to do?

1. Export the root of the iso (in my case a 1.00 iso)
2. Add additional files with a new extension (I've added an additional 27 .pal character files and 27 .sdr character files. some are v1.0 characters since there are no changes)
3. Open gcr and check the option "do not use game .toc files."
4. Rebuild
5. Change the extensions in ram (I'm doing this manually at the moment just for testing with no luck)

Any help?
@ Sham Rock Sham Rock @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515
Thats how I got my code to work. Are you not finding it in the ram.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Thats how I got my code to work. Are you not finding it in the ram.
Just tested it with fox and it works fine. I think something's wrong with my sdr Pikachu player file. I can't even import it to an ISO without the game freezing on the loading screen.

Thanks for the reassurance tho.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I don't know how many people have tried this but has anyone gotten Captain Falcon and Pokemon stadium to swap?

shuall

Smash Apprentice
You fool, the only sound effect other than jigglypuff that is acceptable is purin, since that´s the only one that doesn´t cause ear bleeding over an extended period of exposure.
It's done, luckily we only have one player in our group that plays puff (I mean luff...hehe), and he's in Japan right now. The CSS name is still jiggs, so I'm hoping to troll future me: The future me which has forgotten I've done this.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I think managed to find a problem with the "do not use game.toc files" method. If the file is larger than it is in the header, the game will freeze upon loading the file. A perfect example of this is the v1.00/SDR Donkey Kong (PlDk.dat). The file header indicates that the file length is 0x2A0C5. However, the file length is actually 0x2A0E0. Upon changing the length, Donkey Kong could be used. I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I think managed to find a problem with the "do not use game.toc files" method. If the file is larger than it is in the header, the game will freeze upon loading the file. A perfect example of this is the v1.00/SDR Donkey Kong (PlDk.dat). The file header indicates that the file length is 0x2A0C5. However, the file length is actually 0x2A0E0. Upon changing the length, Donkey Kong could be used. I may be wrong.
That has nothing to do with not using the original TOC, and it just how the game's file loading works. The same thing happens with any file. I did notice this same thing with the files from the SDR pack.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Do you mean the file header in the dat. If so Im surprised it worked in the first place.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
That has nothing to do with not using the original TOC, and it just how the game's file loading works. The same thing happens with any file. I did notice this same thing with the files from the SDR pack.
Yep. SDR files are too large. I'm confused as why they work with a regular rebuild? Weird.

Do you mean the file header in the dat. If so Im surprised it worked in the first place.
Yep. No idea how the SDR/1.00 files work.

Top Bottom