• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for my brother? (Video)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. I'm back again since the last topic i've made my brother did play a few friendlies with me. I taught him some "Super basics" wavedashing grabbing out of shield etc. I was able to get a few matches out of him yesterday and i wanted some luigi mains to evaluate on what he should be doing more and what not. Now if you do watch the entire video there are some things that i do point out but i lack general knowledge of luigi to really be of help.

Disclaimers:
1. I am well aware how god awful the quality looks on these matches. I do not have the equipment to provide super HD videos so don't bother. I'm gracefully asking advice about his luigi (Quality aside) is viewable even though a terrible youtube setting.

2. Please be critical as possible even if i said it in the video. I really want to know what could have been done or not to do so my brother can improve.

3. I thank you for your patience and Honest helpful comments. I'm all for the year of luigi...even if i do play Yoshi hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VZsqi2A-1k

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
What's up, Anthony my dawg? I hate to be that guy, but I'd look into posting this in the video thread so people are more than likely to give it a look. It'd probably be more convenient for the mods. ;)

Last edited:

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Well, he's playing the pink skin so he already has step one covered (Lupinky forever, top tier Lug lol)

I think the first thing to work on for a new Luigi is to become comfortable with his movement. Basically at least 90% of Luigi's ground movement is wave dashing so the first thing is to be able to consistently perform many wave dashes in a row and to be able to do them very quickly between one another. Once this is accomplished, the next step is the same thing but with wave land movement on platforms. With wave dashing in general he should be aiming to get good distance and this is especially important with wave lands since the longer the wave dash=the faster the wave dash. Next after that is consistent ledge dashes. In addition to movement training, he should also practice recovery, there is a thread somewhere on here specifically about the tornado, very helpful learning tool about recovery.

True combos and proper spacing will come with time as he plays more and comes to understand through experience what works and why it's good.

A few bad habits I noticed to avoid include:

-Dash attacks. Luigi's dash attack has very very limited usefulness and should never be used save for very specific situations that I won't get into. Using dash attack in neutral will result in leaving yourself open to punish and is a free grab for the opponent if it's done on shield
-Excessive use of down-B in neutral. Don't get me wrong here, it is absolutely a valid move in neutral but it has it's time and place, it's usually used only when very few options exist. Just tell him to try not to use it and he will figure out what it is good for in time. One thing I can tell you is it can sometimes be good for beating U airs while trying to come down from the air if it's spaced properly, I've had times where it was my only ticket to get back to the ground.
-Side B on stage. Luigi should NEVER side B on stage unless he for some reason has absolutely no other options. Note however that it can be platform edge canceled just like Fox/Falcon side B and I have seen that used in recoveries in creative ways but this is difficult. It has a ton of lag when you land on stage with it and is a free punish for the opponent. One exception to the rule is some Luigis like Abate will side B after finishing a combo in hopes of misfire but this is only an option if the opponent is too far away to punish in the instance that it's not a misfire.
-Excessive attempts at strong Up B. Honestly mostly Luigis (myself included) actually do not go for enough Up B however there is a difference between going for a lot of Up B and going for a lot of Up B for a good reason. If it is used at the right moments (I.E. any guaranteed hit, such as on sheik during her lag after her Up B) then it is a great thing but if it is attempted often as a hard read or just willy nilly it can leave you open to be punished when you get the coin

Lastly, he obviously needs to be able to manipulate RNG with his mind to misfire on command otherwise it clearly means he is not chosen by the almighty Luigi black vudu magica and should be vanquished from the character for all time.

Top Bottom