• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advancing the Diddy Kong Metagame

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
At the beginning of the Smash 4 metagame, Diddy Kong stirred up a lot of controversy with his infamous "hoo hah" combo. Not only was this an easy combo to pull off, it killed at very early percentages, making Diddy one of the best in the game in earlier patches. He also had a lot of mobility and was very fast with is aerial attacks. But after the patch 1.06 he was nerfed - the hoo-hah combo so many players relied on doesn't work anymore. The damage and knockback on several of his moves has been reduced- most notably his Up Air, Forward Air, Up Throw and Down Throw. For those who still want to play as the little Kong, however, NME Nanerz wants to help. In his latest videos, he talks about how to advance the Diddy Kong meta, and shows off some setups that you can do to help out your game.

Nanerz said that he's planning to post more every Friday, so make sure to stay tuned on his channel to see more. What do you think of this? Do you think that Diddy Kong meta will remain a top tier character? leave your thoughts in the comments.

Follow Michael on Twitter @AsuraHedo to discuss more about the Diddy Kong meta! :4diddy:

Last edited by a moderator:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
The year is 20XX. Hoo-hah no longer exists. Diddy players must develop creative play styles to avoid the Ness b-throw and Pikachu infinite combo.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
My least favorite opponent to go against. Your HOO HAing will not be missed you little monster....

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Is this really news-worthy? I honestly don't see what's so special about this, there are plenty of videos out there just like this.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I think most diddys will probably just stick to the hoo hah because it looks much easier.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
"But after the patch 1.06 he was nerfed - the hoo-hah combo so many players relied on doesn't work anymore"

Is this supposed to be a joke, dthrow upair is easier than ever

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Really? Why are you trying to advance the meta of a character who has the furthest developed meta thus far?

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
why would someone make this.... -__-
it is only going to cause more complaints....

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
"But after the patch 1.06 he was nerfed - the hoo-hah combo so many players relied on doesn't work anymore"

Is this supposed to be a joke, dthrow upair is easier than ever
Maybe the idea is that DI-ing it is a tad easier (placebo maybe) or that it kills much latter and does not work well at high percents since dthrow puts the opponent so much further

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
For me 1.06 Diddy is like Melee Fox: good players like Zero and M2K will be amazing with it while bad Diddy "mains" (90% of FG Diddys) will perish with the nerfs.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Well, for everyone thats not Diddy, anybody have solutions to these aerials? I'm usually screwed if I'm not someone floaty and hard to combo on, even with this patch...

Last edited:

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Meanwhile, there are quite a few characters that haven't received a solid meta, yet Diddy (character with the most meta atm) is given more explanation, seems legit lol.

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Meanwhile, there are quite a few characters that haven't received a solid meta, yet Diddy (character with the most meta atm) is given more explanation, seems legit lol.
To be fair, getting beaten by a widdle monkey sounds like a fresh cup of insta-disrespect.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
To be fair, getting beaten by a widdle monkey sounds like a fresh cup of insta-disrespect.
I kinda agree, I don't really mind getting beaten by a "widdle monkey", since it's Diddy after all, but I feel he's getting too much attention right now, just a thought.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Well, for everyone thats not Diddy, anybody have solutions to these aerials? I'm usually screwed if I'm not someone floaty and hard to combo on, even with this patch...
I'm personally trying to work that out, but what I can say is that Air dodging is not something that should be relied on. Counter specials stall you in midair, so unless you're making a very hard read, that makes you even more vulnerable.

my best suggestion would be to challenge it with a far reaching or quick aerial, but until I know how far away that kick reaches, I'm at a loss what fighters are capable of such a feat.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
If anything at all, there's been next to no news about any of the low tiers for that matter.

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
My opinion, the patch didn't do **** to Diddy. He's still broken, and so is Rosalina and the other top fighters.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maaan, that's great and all, but I really wish we'd explore other characters more often. Always hearing about new Diddy tech most ignore anyway to do more hoo hahs, would be nice to see some Wii Fit Trainer or Bowser discoveries, eh, Im just being whiny...

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Maaan, that's great and all, but I really wish we'd explore other characters more often. Always hearing about new Diddy tech most ignore anyway to do more hoo hahs, would be nice to see some Wii Fit Trainer or Bowser discoveries, eh, Im just being whiny...
I honestly am with you, there are so many undiscovered things for WFT, and she's one of the characters I use for fun sometimes, I kinda hate it when I don't know what to do in certain situations given her bad range on most of her attacks, specially when following throws.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hoo-Hah doesn't work anymore? Or is it that it deals less damage?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nono, stop that actually, we don't need any more good diddys

All joking aside tho, that dtilt to bair looks sick.

Top Bottom