• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Addressing the Smash 4 hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
For the past few days, I have read through a majority of threads regarding some hate for the newest installment of Super Smash Bros. and even participated in them. This post was created to get some insight, discuss calmly and professionally, and share my beliefs on how this new Smash should be handled.

First, I'd like to note that Smash 4 is still in development and has not been completed. Nintendo has made available a [possibly glitchy] demo version of the game months before its release. There is still room for development, but hopes that it will include any input regarding Melee's physics should not be too high. Some have made the suggestion that the type of air dodging you are able to do should be a part of the character customization options, which would allow the use of wavedashing. However, it is possible that customized character sets may not be used in tournaments.

Cutting to the chase now. For those complaining about Sakurai, he is listening to his fans and the Smash community. By Smash community, I do not mean just the Melee community, this includes the entire Smash Bros. community. Not all players are for unity and it's a shame to see that some players from either community will bash each other over games. Smash 4 is made to be fun for all audiences which include both casuals and competitors. By now we should understand that Brawl was made with the intention of slashing competition by making the gameplay significantly slower than BOTH its predecessors and adding major inconveniences. However, people are still able to play Brawl competitively. To those claiming that Smash 4 will simply become Brawl 2.0, there is no valid claim that can confirm this as the game is still under development. Sakurai and his team have considered that the game should be both competitive and fun. The Smash Bros. Invitational allowed the players to give their own suggestions for the game and simply have fun.

The Melee community has been heard, but despite the Melee community being one of the largest between 64, Brawl and PM's, they are not entitled to their Advanced Techs of the past. Again, the Melee community is STILL lumped in with the rest of the Smash community. Nintendo has already developed a way for players who are quite familiar with the GCN controller to be used on a Wii U, let's not get greedy here. It is unfair to criticize Sakurai because he didn't give us another Melee and that the Invitational Smash tournament was meant to be a fun display of a not game, not the high-intensity Melee tourneys that the community loves. Before people were complaining about Post-EVO/Documentary Melee players, now people are collectively bashing a new Smash Bros. I am honestly surprised people aren't telling Post-EVO players to go play Smash 4 and leave the Melee community alone. Where did all of this hate come from?

Here's my opinion of this whole ordeal:

Smash 4 is a faster paced game than Brawl from what I have seen, and while it does not include wavedashing and other techniques we're used to seeing in Melee/PM, there is room for new techs. I still believe it is a bit floaty, but the hits are real. The momentum of attacks seem to be greater than Brawl's, though not as much hitstun as 64. Surely, we will find ways to take advantage of the field since the ground game is faster than Brawl's was. I believe Smash 4 is a swing in the right direction, one that Sakurai wanted to begin with. Melee had plenty of exploits, some of which we call "Advanced Techniques", and was too fast/heavy. It was also unbalanced, which is what the developers of PM wanted to do using all that Brawl had to offer. However, people still complain about balancing and characters in PM. As a former competitor in the Street Fighter and Melty Blood scene, I can honestly say that this will be a problem for any fighting game.

Let's just try something new. This is not going to be another Brawl, this will be the Smash that Sakurai was hoping for. If you are an avid Melee player and still stand by your beliefs, please don't unfairly complain about Sakurai or say things that will ruin the game for others who want to compete in Smash 4. The simplest solution that will put an end to all the flame wars is to continue showing your love and support for Melee (and Project M for those who enjoy that, too.) From what I've read, Project M for Smash 4 is a very, very slim possibility. Nintendo will continue to step forward with Smash Bros. and more than likely not look to recreate Melee, so there is no point in pestering the PM dev-team due to failure to adapt to new games and mechanics.

tl;dr: Let's stop the hate and flame wars, and start talking professionally about the game we've all come to love: Super Smash Bros. I love Melee, loved it since I first got it on Christmas 2001 and I still play both forms of Melee with so much intensity. I admit that I have complained to the same degree about Brawl years ago when it came out, but have since developed a new perspective. To the community members who support your own favorite game, give it all you've got for the game you love and leave Sakurai alone. He [Sakurai] was the one who developed and delivered your favorite version of Super Smash Brothers. Remember that.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've never seen Smash Bros this Toxic, it is pretty scary....Like it is worse than League of Legends and that has a Toxic community.

Last edited:

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm honestly disgusted at the volume of hate this game is getting....ALREADY. People have their opinions, I'm completely aware of that but...damn!

I understand that there's a huge fanbase in Melee and people weren't satisfied with Brawl but we're going down the same road that almost killed Brawl and the games aren't even released yet, nor were the versions being played even anywhere near the final versions. Sakurai stated those were beta versions and may have bugs, which is why the Fairy Bottle for example isn't completed in those builds yet (act just like Mr. Saturn).

Last edited:

Krigeris

Smash Rookie
I'm disgusted at the lack of care in these posts. This is a company which has made millions of the Smash name is a little bit of quality so much to ask for? Are you really expecting people not to be mad after the atrocity that was brawl instead of learning from their mistakes they make another floaty game with no combos?

You sound so passive, either that or you don't know what makes a good fighting game. Let me tell you what this game is going to boil down too, and thats playing defensively. Because its clear defensive playing is rewarded on this game, its also clear that this game is going to be played as a hit/run/hit/run/hit/run that is absoutely boring as ****.

People have a right to hate on this, this isn't what we asked for as a community and instead they would rather cater to the audience which plays their game once a month.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The amount of hate coming from these boards over the past day have been incredibly terrible. Even top players like PeachyHime are even bashing the game.

Let's please remember the words in the OP, and also appreciate that we're getting the first Smash game where a competitive community is being considered as a valid play style.

So with that in mind...

Keep calm and play smash.png

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'm old. I don't have the time to learn a game like Melee anymore. All I want is a game that rewards aggression, plays fast, and has combos. I didn't get that from the stream and initial impressions have left me immensely disappointed. That's all I think most Melee fans even really want. Very few people want and need all the techs and even fewer thought it would really happen. But if the game rewards slow, campy play then it's just not fun. To play or to watch

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Smash 64 = Supporters feel left out.

Melee = (Can go a couple ways here) Supporters feel as though others are misunderstanding their desires and labeling them as close-minded, elitists. Don't exactly want this "Melee 2.0" people are speaking of, but desire at least some of the elements that made Melee great...then you have the radical supporters that will continue to bash any Smash game that is unlike Melee, leading to more tension.

Brawl = Supporters feel that Melee supporters are hating on Brawl because it's not Melee and lacks a true competitive feel, so ultimately, I'm sure there are Brawl players who feel as though they're looked down upon because they're playing a game that doesn't require as much tech skill, it's sluggish, boring, blah blah blah (**Please note that I am not declaring that Brawl lacks a competitive feel and saying that it's a boring game. I am not making this commentary on a personal level**)

The Grey Area = Supporters of Smash as a whole that are tired of the hate that have this goal of trying to bring all communities to the light to be able to commune and just share love for the main community we all belong to - Super Smash Bros.

^^^
That's basically my take of things after observing posts throughout the boards and hearing all sides.

For starters, I'm thankful to simply get more installments of Smash Bros. I have played all of the games, and I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed each one. You (general "You") may be thinking that I am a "casual" player since I have managed to enjoy each Smash game with little to no complaints, but that's not the case. Maybe it's just my nature, but I'm pretty open-minded so it's no problem for me to enjoy all Smash entries at both a casual and competitive level - they're all different games, and I treat them as such. I understand that when it comes to new Smash games, if you really expect and hope that you're going to get the same game, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

EDIT - I do understand where people are coming from with their opinions. I like open discussions where people can express their views. I just don't see a need for hate.

TL;DR - Opinions are too skrong.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm disgusted at the lack of care in these posts. This is a company which has made millions of the Smash name is a little bit of quality so much to ask for? Are you really expecting people not to be mad after the atrocity that was brawl instead of learning from their mistakes they make another floaty game with no combos?

You sound so passive, either that or you don't know what makes a good fighting game. Let me tell you what this game is going to boil down too, and thats playing defensively. Because its clear defensive playing is rewarded on this game, its also clear that this game is going to be played as a hit/run/hit/run/hit/run that is absoutely boring as ****.

People have a right to hate on this, this isn't what we asked for as a community and instead they would rather cater to the audience which plays their game once a month.
And yet Street Fighter, which is one of the biggest keep away and defensive games with all its full screen spamming fireballs constantly gains the biggest audience in EVO, while Marvel 3, a super aggressive one touch of death game, is dying.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Hmm... I understand why people are reacting negatively to what they're seeing. There are a lot of people who didn't like Brawl for obvious reasons, and seeing those same problems present in the sequel is pretty sobering. This is doubly so when being told "wanting Melee 2.0 is bad" for all these years, then Smash 4 looks so much like Brawl 2.0. How the heck is that fair to them?

I don't have any problem with the negativity. I've seen plenty of series turn their backs on the competitive community. I've been part of some. It hurts. While I don't play Smash at a level where I'm going to be affected, I understand what it's like to have the creators of my favorite game not care about the competitive merit of a series I'm so very passionate about. So let people be loud, negative, and emotional. Maybe it'll get noticed.

And yes, maybe the fans being entitled to the sequel they want is selfish, immature, etc. Sakurai / Nintendo / Sora / whatever work hard and love Smash, and they'll get the appreciation they deserve. That doesn't mean that a final product is immune from emotional criticism. It also doesn't mean that groups of friends have a responsibility to sit down to play games and say "hey, we don't really enjoy this game after the honeymoon phase, but we should play it anyway to honor the creators' hard work."

I want to now go into the importance of being polite, the hope to be found in the fact that Nintendo is seeking feedback, and a bunch of very true things that have been said before, but honestly others will say them anyway. I just wanted to defend the rights of people to feel emotional at what they see =/

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Hmm... I understand why people are reacting negatively to what they're seeing. There are a lot of people who didn't like Brawl for obvious reasons, and seeing those same problems present in the sequel is pretty sobering. This is doubly so when being told "wanting Melee 2.0 is bad" for all these years, then Smash 4 looks so much like Brawl 2.0. How the heck is that fair to them?"
The problem is that most vocal people are just mindlessly bashing Smash 4 for being an alleged Brawl clone even though from what I seen, the game looks heavier, faster, and removed some of the features Brawl had like swimming and random tripping to make the game more fluid. The developers were even taking in fan feedback at the invitational, didn't one developer write down what one player had to say on the game and how it could be improved for competitive play?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't mind concerns, but why are we pretending like Sakurai is the devil or something? He's clearly said that the game is still in the development stage... and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the Smash Invitational was a ruse so that Sakurai could see how competitive players will play Smash 4, then adjust the game.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
The problem is that most vocal people are just mindlessly bashing Smash 4 for being an alleged Brawl clone even though from what I seen, the game looks heavier, faster, and removed some of the features Brawl had like swimming and random tripping to make the game more fluid. The developers were even taking in fan feedback at the invitational, didn't one developer write down what one player had to say on the game and how it could be improved for competitive play?
You're not wrong. There's definitely a point where the complaining is too mindless/etc, and there are real reasons to reconsider the reality of the situation. My point is that it's easy to look at people being negative and understand where they're coming from, and I feel as though I should defend them because I've been the one feeling betrayed before. And let's be honest here, Smash 4 definitely appears to be WAYY more similar to Brawl than it does to 64 or Melee, at least to the point where you can see where they are coming from even if you don't agree with them.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
"I can't flick the control stick back and forth or dodge into the stage, the game must be terribad."

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Game is 2 months away from going gold. It is what it is.

A bunch of people went through this exact same process with Brawl late '07. If Smash 4 is a good game it'll last. If it isn't it won't. Nothing new at this point.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
For those complaining about Sakurai, he is listening to his fans and the Smash community. By Smash community, I do not mean just the Melee community, this includes the entire Smash Bros. community. Not all players are for unity and it's a shame to see that some players from either community will bash each other over games. Smash 4 is made to be fun for all audiences which include both casuals and competitors.
^ Amen to this (and everything else but mainly this haha). There are a ton of Smash Bros. fans that consider it a party game and play casually, many who don't voice what they think because they aren't on sites like Smashboards. You can't blame Sakurai for wanting a compromise and trying to appeal to both audiences. He increased the speed and removed random tripping too, let's remember. Not everyone is a competitive player, most who play Smash most likely aren't, including myself. I love what I have seen so far with Smash 4 and it really is tiring to see complaints, especially when anything can still change as it is still in development.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
You don't get it. They had the most massive hype wave from TWITCH TV explosion ever. All smashers from all games and generations were getting together from that very hype and everyone eagerly waiting for a new smash we could all finally love. This was a super let down because all of the teasers and info released seemed that it would be at least similar to Smash64.

In my personal opinion they dropped the ball on the one yard line, and fumbled it. So to me all the hate is warranted.

I hope this game goes on to be the best game ever. I will still buy it on 3ds but I really, Really have my doubts it will have the strong, hyped, sustained longevity we all were hoping for if it stays anything like this. I am hurt to an extent and I am sure other people are too.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
"Hey guys, remember that direction you've been PRAYING we weren't going with Smash 4? Well, we're going with it
"

- How some people perceive the situation.

Last edited:

Krigeris

Smash Rookie
"I can't flick the control stick back and forth or dodge into the stage, the game must be terribad."
"I'd rather not have combos in a fighting game, too many different moves in a row to remember"
- You

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
"I'd rather not have combos in a fighting game, too many different moves in a row to remember"
- You
Shows how much you know about competive smash. It's not all about memorization, it's just as much about adaptation and improv.

Morbi

Scavenger
Most of us have not played the game; those that have have not played enough to make a decision that was based on logic and thoroughly evaluated. How could we possibly hate it? That rationale is fallacious.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
To the community members who support your own favorite game, give it all you've got for the game you love and leave Sakurai alone. He [Sakurai] was the one who developed and delivered your favorite version of Super Smash Brothers. Remember that.
Is not that easy Bro. If it was like that...the community would have not been soo divided even now after so many years of Brawl.

Fans like me hate the fact that Sakurai had a winning formula with Melee, but he simply destroyed the hardcore fanbase at the expense of his selfish desires, and he is not willing to look back.

if this game doesnt deliver.. it deserves all the flag it is getting.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I love that you said "Let's just try something new." I think thats the mind set we all should have. Great topic my friend. :b:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
All I'll say is that no reaction to a game is "unfair." Barring extreme or unusual circumstances, games generate the reactions they deserve, positive or negative, and it's laughable to sit around as a community and mope about the game not getting the reaction it "deserves." It's not entitled to anything, but everyone is entitled to whatever opinions they can adequately back up.

Last edited:

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
Melee had plenty of exploits, some of which we call "Advanced Techniques"
Define "exploit".
As I explained in another thread, things like L-Cancelling were 100% intentional in Smash64, and so they most evidently must have been in Melee.
Their removal wasn't bugfixing, it was Sakurai changing his mind about Smash... and most of this new vision seems to hold true for SSB4.

Shows how much you know about competive smash. It's not all about memorization, it's just as much about adaptation and improv.
Melee had that. At a quicker pace. AND it still had combos. Isn't it great?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
You're not wrong. There's definitely a point where the complaining is too mindless/etc, and there are real reasons to reconsider the reality of the situation. My point is that it's easy to look at people being negative and understand where they're coming from, and I feel as though I should defend them because I've been the one feeling betrayed before. And let's be honest here, Smash 4 definitely appears to be WAYY more similar to Brawl than it does to 64 or Melee, at least to the point where you can see where they are coming from even if you don't agree with them.

Exactly.

I even get frightned after seeing the same fonts used in the % health numbers, becauyse it remembers me the atrocity called Brawl.

Unlike last time that i was hyped to no end with brawl.... this time im totally the opposite... i feel like impotent and sad. But in no way ill spend dollars on this game like i did with Brawl in the current state.

Ill NOT support it.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Exactly.

I even get frightned after seeing the same fonts used in the % health numbers, becauyse it remembers me the atrocity called Brawl.

Unlike last time that i was hyped to no end with brawl.... this time im totally the opposite... i feel like impotent and sad. But in no way ill spend dollars on this game like i did with Brawl in the current state.

Ill NOT support it.
Lol you will probably end up buying it. :rolleyes:

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405

Brawl was not atrocious, Brawl was a great game that the "competitive" scene did not like, which I should remind is the vast minority. There is quality in this game, we have seen quality for over a year through Miiverse, all the small details are crazy and says something about how much care is going into the game. Again, just because it doesn't seem as competitive as people may want, doesn't make it trash in the slightest.

There is so much entitlement going on here its crazy.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Lol you will probably end up buying it. :rolleyes:
No, i have bills to pay now, unlike years ago.

And no, im not naive enought to fall in the same trap and let down twice. Ill borrow the game from someone or play it wherever i can... but ill NOT BUY IT BLINDLY like i did with Brawl.

NEVER AGAIN.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

And no, im not naive enought to fall in the same trap and let down twice. Ill borrow the game from someone or play it wherever i can... but ill NOT BUY IT BLINDLY like i did with Brawl.

NEVER AGAIN.
Lol I bet if they slapped a Melee sticker over it you would. :lick:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Brawl was not atrocious, Brawl was a great game that the "competitive" scene did not like, which I should remind is the vast minority. There is quality in this game, we have seen quality for over a year through Miiverse, all the small details are crazy and says something about how much care is going into the game. Again, just because it doesn't seem as competitive as people may want, doesn't make it trash in the slightest.

Its trash if you take into account how bad it is compared to melee.

But if you ignore the existence of melee.... yes is a nice party game indeed.

Shroob

Sup?

NEVER AGAIN.
The drama is real.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
One of the things that need to be addressed that there will be no Wavedashing in SSB4. It is that simple, Sakurai doesn't want it, as well as L-Canceling.

He wants a simple game, and nothing that involving intricate button inputs that a noob could not understand.

I keep hearing that "Well it is in development, so it is possible they might add Wavedashing."

Even Sakurai said in the roundtable that they can not just cater towards the fanbase, they cannot make it exactly like Melee.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Exactly.

Ill NOT support it.
So you're saying that Super Smash Bros Brawl was a bad game? What?
"Super Smash Bros. Brawl received critically positive reviews,[11] with critics praising the game's entertainment value, despite issues relating to Brawl's loading times.[9] The game's musical score, which was composed through a collaboration among 38 renowned video game composers,[12] was lauded for its representation of different generations in gaming history.[13] It received an aggregate review score of 93% on Metacritic[11] and 92.84% on Game Rankings.[14]Brawl was ranked "Fighting Game of the Year" of 2008 by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences.[15] In 2010, the game was included as one of the titles in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.[16] As of March 31, 2013, it is the ninth best-selling Wii game by selling a total of 11.49 million copies worldwide.[17]"

Taken from Wikipedia but still counts.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
So you're saying that Super Smash Bros Brawl was a bad game? What?
"Super Smash Bros. Brawl received critically positive reviews,[11] with critics praising the game's entertainment value, despite issues relating to Brawl's loading times.[9] The game's musical score, which was composed through a collaboration among 38 renowned video game composers,[12] was lauded for its representation of different generations in gaming history.[13] It received an aggregate review score of 93% on Metacritic[11] and 92.84% on Game Rankings.[14]Brawl was ranked "Fighting Game of the Year" of 2008 by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences.[15] In 2010, the game was included as one of the titles in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.[16] As of March 31, 2013, it is the ninth best-selling Wii game by selling a total of 11.49 million copies worldwide.[17]"

Taken from Wikipedia but still counts.
Don't even try to talk to him. He will call upon the Melee Gods to lift him up and praise the good lord Melee.

D

Deleted member

So much negativity...

I think I need to get off the internet and find some more rainbows to recharge myself after reading most of the responses, and try my best to stay neutral. I am terrible at debating people, and don't care to get caught in a war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267

My thoughts exactly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom