• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question about finger health

ElCid

Smash Rookie
Hey peeps, I'm a fairly new Luigi main, who has been to a couple of tournaments. I started practicing quite a lot recently and I have found that my fingers get pretty sore, especially my right index finger, which I use to wavedash, which of course is something we Luigi players do quite a lot :p

So I was wondering if any of you seasoned Luigi mains (or just seasoned smash players in general) have any advice for how to build up finger muscle endurance, and possibly alter my technique, so I don't start hurting at tournaments or during long practice sessions? And of course I want to avoide getting injured, that would be my nr. 1 priority.

Anyway thanks for you time and thanks for playing this awesome character :)

-ElCid out!

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
I'm sure Fox forums got alot of finger muscle stretching/endurance posts, the risk of picking the top tier!

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Stretch before you play and occasionally throughout the day, whether you feel like you need to or not; if you don't feel like your hands need it then that's a sign the stretches are working.

You can reduce the resistance of your trigger (whichever one you use to wavedash) by removing or shortening the spring, or by perforating the rubber (or silicon or whatever they are) button inside of it. If you don't like the feeling of the removed spring then you can just replace it, but perforating the buttons is irreversible, so be careful not to perforate them too much and end up destroying them.

I do both, and would strongly recommend it. The reduction in the amount of force you have to use is substantial, and it feels much more comfortable.

Older type controllers from before the white controllers existed (purple, black, silver, etc.) have less resistive triggers in general (due to multiple factors), so you can use one of those, or even remove the back of it and use just that part with a newer-model controller's front.

Last edited:

ElCid

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice. I actually happen to have a bunch of old controllers, so I might try swapping one of those triggers. I use R for everything, so was also considering taking L into use more, in order to spread the strain over two fingers instead of one, but it's quite a hassle to change grip, and I think it's mostly wavedashes that cuase the discomfort anyway.

Stride

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice. I actually happen to have a bunch of old controllers, so I might try swapping one of those triggers.
The older-model controllers having less resistive triggers is partly because of the shell; there's more space in the trigger housing so there's less friction. This means you'd probably want to replace the entire back instead of just the triggers. You could also sand or file down the trigger housing on a new-model controller to expand it.

I use R for everything, so was also considering taking L into use more, in order to spread the strain over two fingers instead of one, but it's quite a hassle to change grip, and I think it's mostly wavedashes that cuase the discomfort anyway.
Whatever triggers you use for things is mostly preference; no matter how you use you triggers there's nothing that's made impossible, though there will be things that are more awkward than necessary with certain methods (for example: wavedashing out of shield with the same trigger you use to shield, or L-cancelling an aerial out of a shield drop or a SHFFL out of shield when using the same trigger to shield and L-cancel, etc.). Although if you only use one trigger then removing the spring from that trigger is out of the question since you'd sacrifice the ability to light press entirely, so that's a pretty significant downside to exclusively using a single trigger.

If you are/can become comfortable with it, then it's probably better to use both triggers; though you shouldn't be particularly concerned about it if you don't do so. The sooner you try change your controls the better, since you will have less well-established habits to overcome.

Last edited:

ElCid

Smash Rookie
The older-model controllers having less resistive triggers is partly because of the shell; there's more space in the trigger housing so there's less friction. This means you'd probably want to replace the entire back instead of just the triggers. You could also sand or file down the trigger housing on a new-model controller to expand it.
Gotta say I'm a little spooked about modding my controller, but I am sure there is someone in my local scene with the tools/knowhow for it. For future I guess I will try to get my hands on the old style controllers when I get new ones.

Whatever triggers you use for things is mostly preference; no matter how you use you triggers there's nothing that's made impossible, though there will be things that are more awkward than necessary with certain methods (for example: wavedashing out of shield with the same trigger you use to shield, or L-cancelling an aerial out of a shield drop or a SHFFL out of shield when using the same trigger to shield and L-cancel, etc.). Although if you only use one trigger then removing the spring from that trigger is out of the question since you'd sacrifice the ability to light press entirely, so that's a pretty significant downside to exclusively using a single trigger.
I feel pretty good about wavedashing out of shield and the like with my current method (except for the finger pain of course), but I don't really know how optimized it actually is.

Stride

Smash Ace
Gotta say I'm a little spooked about modding my controller, but I am sure there is someone in my local scene with the tools/knowhow for it. For future I guess I will try to get my hands on the old style controllers when I get new ones.
It's not a bad idea to get someone to help you. That said, basic controller mods (shell, triggers, rumble pack, analogue stick caps, buttons, the rubber cushions under the buttons) are easy and low-risk. There are many tutorials on YouTube too.

If you're just wanting to replace the entire back of your controller, all you have to do is flip it over, and then unscrew the back and lift it away; the replacement back fits on easily. There's nothing that can fall out or anything (maybe the Z button if you move the front of the controller around too much; it's attached to the front and not the back so it should be fine). The only thing you'd have to worry about is making sure the shell is lined up properly, and the sliders for the analogue triggers are fully raised before you put the back on (you just have to look to make sure they are and slide them up if they're not; you can't really go wrong).

For opening the shell you'll need a triwing screwdriver (though you can maybe use a flathead as a substitute), and for doing anything to the triggers you'll need a small Phillips screwdriver to take off their covers; they're the only tools you'll need for most things. In all 4 of the old-model controllers that I've opened up, at least one of the screws for the black plastic sections that covers the triggers have been stiff to the point where it's impossible to unscrew (I assume due to age since it's never happened with newer-model controllers); if you're looking to mod the triggers on one of those controllers you might run into that problem. Changing the entire back should still be problem-free though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom