• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling --- Updated

Doraki

Smash Lord
Mudassir said:
for the mario superman di vs samus,
Could you just have pressed straight left each time for the smash Di instead of alternating diagonally upleft and down left? Would that allow you to move further left?

Also you call it "Smash"DI, do you really have to smash the direction to move during hitlag? If I get hit by a fully charged shot, can I smash left and then repeatedly nudge it between upleft to downleft to get more SDI's? I mean I don't have to let the stick go to neutral for every SDI during one hitlag, right? Also, what if I do it slowly kinda like a tilt, would that do anything?
Sorry I didn't see that..
yes if you want to input several smash DIs in one direction you have to let the stick go to its neutral position each time.
The thing is that alternating diagonals goes a little faster than alternating left and neutral
.. about 1.414 times faster.

SmashMac, you're saying that the platform acted as a ceiling ? weird...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
This guide is extremely informative. Are there any big differences between the American SSBM and European SSBM as far as DI is concerned?

Doraki

Smash Lord
Some moves, at least Sheik's Downthrow, were made more DI-able in Pal, but I'm not aware of any difference. They could have changed the length of a SDI, but other than that, I doubt that they changed anything.

MagnuM

Smash Ace
Once when I was playing smash I teched a Fox up smash at a very high %age on Yoshi's Story while travelling through the top platform. It seems that I did a horizontal rolling tech, one that would happen if you were to press L and hold left/right if getting kneed by a Falcon for instance. Is it possible to tech the floors of platform while passing through them from the bottom?

monkey and co.

Smash Apprentice
ok....
good guide
but
a few questions
can u smash di, asdi, so on in the air? most likely just to make sure
ie. fox up throws jumps uairs can u di out of the uair?
can u di (all sorts) a shine?

Doraki

Smash Lord
Magnum, the only way that I know to tech on the platform is when your trajectory leads you to crash onto it. But maybe sometimes platform act strangely, look at SmashMac's posts on the previous page.
I haven't tested anything weird with platforms,but if you can give me directions that leads to something glitchy I'd be happy to look at it though.

Monkey : yes you can use all the DIs in the air, and on the shine too.
And in most situations, you can smash DI the first hit of Fox's upair to evade the second hit.

A somewhat easy way to do it is to wiggle your control stick as fast as possible as soon as you're thrown, so that you'll likely do a smash DI in some direction whenever the Fox does his up air.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
When you say perpendicular does that mean if you being hit directly left or right you would di straight up with analog stick and then c stick toward the stage?

Gekhoe

Smash Rookie
yeah i dunno but i cant read alot of information and understand it so i dunno... i guess that means you did a good job gettin the infromation you need, i'll get my crew members to read it so we can practice. ::thumbs up::

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that these have been put in videos that have already been distributed, but is there like, an official video of How to DI and the many ways to do it that's already out?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
TelpeFion said:
THAT is a VERY good question.
There so many stickied topics in Melee Discussion right now. It'd probably be a better idea to ask a mod to simply append this guide to a current sticky thread's frist post. DI is one of the most neglected skills in the smash community, IMO.

kzai

Smash Rookie
i'm a beginner at smash and I want to know what is the best thing to do to try to keep alive for most attacks (ie. not meteor smashes etc.)

from what I understand, there are a few moves that help you and I haven't been able to link them together yet

1) DI
As you explained, press perpendicular direction during hitlag frames

2) teching
This one is new to me press L while flying back? Does this work for smashes

3) waggling the stick
I read that if you press LRLRLRLR while flying back you also reduce recovery time? Is that true?

So my question really is what is the precise things i should press while being smashed back?

Doraki

Smash Lord
wiggling the stick while flying doesn't reduce your stun time, and mashing LRLR completely prevents you from teching, so you should NEVER do that.
To tech you only need to know how you'll fly and when you'll hit a wall/floor/ceiling. You have to press L or R before hitting the wall, but not too early either.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What's the frame data for teching again? I can't remember if it's 20 frames or 10 frames (though I'm leaning towards the 10 frame theory).

What wiggling the stick does is enabling you to airdodge once the stun is over.

kzai: Press during over period hitlag frames. Many are saying that Smash DI doesn't exist while others are defining it differentely. Yet others claim Smash DI does indeed make a difference. The fact remains that to DI (no matter what kind of DI), you only have to be holding in a certain direction the frame you're hit.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Simply holding the stick in a direction and then getting hit will not cause smash DI it will only allow of auto smash di and regular di. In order to DI you must smash the control stick in a direction during the hit lag frames and you'll DI in that direction. If you want to see how it works go to Training mode and put on 1/4th speed and shoot yourself with samus's charged shot and hit a direction as many times as you can during the hit lag and you will clearly see the DI. Also probably the best way to ASDI is to just hold the C-stick in the direction you want to ASDI(keep in mind this only cause about half the amount of DI as a smash DI) in that direction, that way you may SDI and DI in which ever direction you wish with the regular stick. Well not which ever direction you wish as far as regular DI... best to DI in a perpendicular direction as already explained.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
i think you should put more examples, not just attacks of foxandfalco, which IS the names of some guy on SWF...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
K1T3 said:
Simply holding the stick in a direction and then getting hit will not cause smash DI it will only allow of auto smash di and regular di. In order to DI you must smash the control stick in a direction during the hit lag frames and you'll DI in that direction. If you want to see how it works go to Training mode and put on 1/4th speed and shoot yourself with samus's charged shot and hit a direction as many times as you can during the hit lag and you will clearly see the DI. Also probably the best way to ASDI is to just hold the C-stick in the direction you want to ASDI(keep in mind this only cause about half the amount of DI as a smash DI) in that direction, that way you may SDI and DI in which ever direction you wish with the regular stick. Well not which ever direction you wish as far as regular DI... best to DI in a perpendicular direction as already explained.
I was answering a guy's question about DI, not about Smash DI.

Also, concerning spamming DI inputs repeatedly, that's not Smash DI, that's... whatever. The legendary Japanese DI? Consecutive DI? Frame-DI?

kzai

Smash Rookie
thx guys so this is now my improved understanding

smash (or press, depending on whether i believe there is smash di or not) direction perpendicular when hit

if i anticipate hitting a wall, and if i press L be4 that happening, it will let me wall tech which i don't know what will happen but it sounds like it will help me

btw, is DI only either up or down? does it help if i get hit in the left direction to press right? (or diagonal right up/down?)

Poilon

Smash Cadet
Scintillatedseed said:
Question about DI'ing, so if you use ASDI you don't have to press L or R to tech?

you have to press L or R to tech, and when you use an ASDI, you have to press L or R too to tech :)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Well, at first all this stuff was really confusing. After someone explained it to me it was easy. Di'ing is definitely one of the hardest things in this game. Good guide.

Top Bottom