• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A “Chévere” Community: Super Smash Bros in Venezuela - Part 1

Chévere
is a slang word from Venezuela, meaning cool, sweet or awesome.​

Recognized as one of the most relevant exporting countries in terms of baseball talents, Venezuela is where hard-work routines and effort in the field are the daily bread of all the professionals in the area of this enthusiastic sport. This ethic has influences in other fields as well, such as gaming.

Now, talking about gaming in general, the Venezuelan community is still in its early stages, but without a doubt it is rapidly growing thanks to the arrival of new players ready to learn and spend enormous amounts of hours learning the game itself and practicing to improve their skill.

In the case of Smash, the scene is diverse. Sm4sh and Melee are the predominant choices among the Venezuelan community. The grassroots support of the players is the base of why the tournaments are commonly organized by themselves. Consequentially, matches are mostly hosted at the organizer’s house or at a local anime convention.

Vigorous and versatile playstyle

In Venezuela, the Sm4sh community is dynamic, thanks to the incorporation of characters that are not usually used by the players because they are considered by many to be “not optimal” or “low tiers”. Because it does not follow the regular metagame, the Venezuelan style of play has some “special sweetness” in terms of gameplay.

Venezuelan Power Ranking of 2015
The number one player in the Venezuelan power rankings for Sm4sh is 8A with his relentless Sonic. In second place is VeXx thanks to his Sheik and Marth, and finally in third place is GARU with Fox and, curiously, Greninja.

The international participation of Venezuela is low due to various difficulties in travelling outside the country. VeXx participated in Genesis 3 but regrettably he couldn't get out of pools like Chevaca, a Smasher born in Venezuela who lives in the United States.

"Winners finals of TCT. The last major tournament in Venezuela"​

A possible national tournament for Smash 4 will likely be held on April 9. Will VeXx reach first place due to the experience he gained in the USA?

Last edited:

Comments

As someone who has Venezuelan heritage, its nice seeing Venezuela take its spot in the Smash community.

How awesome it is that smash is now expanding through Latin America.

Que genial es que smash ahora se está expandiendo por America Latina.

How awesome it is that smash is now expanding through Latin America.

Que genial es que smash ahora se está expandiendo por America Latina.
Que se este expandiendo en latinoamerica? Siempre ha habido una comunidad competitiva, pero no es tan grande como la de EEUU

No es muy popular que hagan torneo a cada rato y lo divulgen a las masas como en EUA. Pero de que hay talento si hay.

Qué bueno es ver a los jugadores latinos. Mis raíces son mexicanos, pero siempre me considero parte de la comunidad latina.

Being Venezuelan, it's always nice to see when they talk about us. Good to see the community is growing further!

esta bueno, pero espero que saquen el de melee que es el mas me interesa, y espero que este año los numeros crescan un poco y no sea en casa de un pana random para poder ir a un torneo, por que la situacion esta fuerte

Nada mejor que ver una noticia sobre smash de Venezuela como regalo de cumpleaños (aunque lo vengo viendo el dia de hoy jajajaja). Con esta noticia espero que nos agrupemos mas seguido para organizar mas torneos y dar a conocer el potencial de los venezolanos.

Nothing better than reading a Venezuela-related Smash news as a birthday gift (even though I'm seeing it today lol). With this article I have hope in that we will join even more for tournaments and to get others to know the potential in venezuelans.

Last edited:
As a new player in the growing Smash Bros community in Venezuela i'm happy to read this post. It's good to know that different parts of the community (such as Smash Bros for the WiiU and Melee) are going to be in the ASTRA tournament. I hope we can go bigger and bigger!

Top Bottom