• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U 9.0 No life loss build suggestions

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I actually got the 12 minute Marth challenge without any home run bat shenanigans. I just had vampire and auto-heal equipment and then the strongest defense item as my third piece.

I beat MF with Ike and Lucina yesterday, but still haven't done it without dying.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I mean I couldn't do the whole thing without dying. I will get at least one BS death somewhere before the boss about half the time, and I almost always die at least once during the boss. Usually somewhere between Giant and Edges.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So, I just did 9.0 with Shulk and made it all the way to Master Fortress without dying. Then, I took too much damage and lost a stock near the very end. Ughhhhhh.

pmort

Smash Cadet
So last night I decided before bed to just take another stroll on Classic 9 to work on my Custom Headgear collection-fest, as it's my last challenge. This is my first foray into Classic since beating it without losing a life as my Ike build that I posted earlier. I had no intention of clearing without losing a stock again…

But by some hilarious twist of fate I cleared it without losing a stock again.

I confess to getting a completely cake lineup for the first 5 rounds. A 1vs1, 1vs1, 4 character free for all (including me), 1vs1, and 3 character free for all (again, with me). I took out the Miis with no issue. And then the hands and Master Core? I bet I racked up 50% damage TOPS. Giant did some damage with its shriek, and only because I held my block in front of him, and the beast got me with his electricity. I nailed the beast's background attack with a counter, and Edges was pretty straightforward. I cleaned house with Shadow a lot more smoothly this time, and then I went into Master Fortress and destroyed it without getting hit once.

Absolutely dumbfounded. I waited until the end credits to just make sure I did it on 9 and sure enough, when the announcer went "WOW. INCREDIBLE" I nearly ****.

Anyway, I did get a very lucky setup of opponents, but I still am a big fan of that Ike configuration and think its got an answer for pretty much everything Classic throws at you.

So, I just did 9.0 with Shulk and made it all the way to Master Fortress without dying. Then, I took too much damage and lost a stock near the very end. Ughhhhhh.
This just came in as I was posting mine...That sucks dude, but you'll get it though. Hopefully they can throw you an easy setup like I just got.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
This just came in as I was posting mine...That sucks dude, but you'll get it though. Hopefully they can throw you an easy setup like I just got.
I think I can do this with Shulk. I've made it to the boss without dying 4 times just today. I just keep getting a BS death somewhere along the way. What really sucks is, the very first time, I made it all the way to MF before dying, and I might have made it if I had just waited for the auto-heal to reduce my damage before going on. I had enough time. I'm so mad at myself for messing that up. Shulk can just destroy Giant with the Buster Monado though, and Beast isn't too hard either. It was Edges/Shadow that got me last time, which is infuriating.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I once again attempted the challenge on Christmas Eve as Rosalina and I finally beat it without losing a single stock.
Of course, I was forced to use customazion to get the job done.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I too have managed this twice. The first time was intentional. The build I made specifically for it was Ike with Vampire Brawn, Auto-Healer Sword, and King's Cape. Important specials were Close Combat (For the clone fight at the end) and Smash Counter for Master Beast. It only took a few attempts after I unlocked Smash Counter.

I main Robin and also managed to do it with him. That one was Critical Hitter Protection Badge, Vampire Brawn Badge, and Risky Respawner Boots using Speed Thunder. It worked much better than expected, and I did it in one playthrough and even got more points than with my Ike build, just shy of a million points.

Best advice from me though, don't bother trying until you have a routine for Master Fortress. I many, many times there, and had to watch someone beat it to find the hidden laser guys that kept killing me. I kill all of them and the flying things and now it's no problem.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
I can't do this. So many cheap deaths, and Master Beast goes from being simplistic in 8.5 to **** in 9. Been trying for 5 hours now, so frustrated.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I can't do this. So many cheap deaths, and Master Beast goes from being simplistic in 8.5 to **** in 9. Been trying for 5 hours now, so frustrated.
If you want to be cheesy, equip a Home Run Bat and first strike advantage custom. You'll start the battle with a bat, and if you land the first hit, you'll be invincible for about 10 seconds, allowing you to OHKO enemies. Of course, this works in theory, but not on paper. The CPUs are obnoxiously good at perfect shielding, which renders the strategy rather pointless. The other issue is that in the 5+ player matches, you won't land the first hit, which makes everything much harder. Worth a shot if you're sick to death of trying it legit though.

Otherwise, all I can say is find a good custom set, in terms of equipment and moves. Find what's the most useful and works best for you. And for the love of all that is holy, fight the fewest amount of people possible. Even though the CPUs cheat very badly, it's much better to go against one or two cheaters rather than seven. Not to mention that if you get hit in an eight player match, there is good chance someone will intercept, and you'll get repeatedly wombo combo'd. Items are your friends here.

Best strategy for Master Beast is to wait for him to attack first. He loves to counterattack, so don't make the first move. Once he's done attacking, use a quicker attack, like a tilt. May be slow, but as long as you know his moves, he won't get you.

Make sure you've memorized how to deal with Master Fortress. You don't want to **** up and die against him after making it so far.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I went with a Shulk + vampire equipment + auto-healer set up and was able to beat this challenge my first try with the set-up.

Shulk naturally just makes multiman melee easier with his tilts and having a counter makes the hand/core battles easier.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I used Bowser with auto heal and a lot of defense equipment.
I was in disbelief when I got the challenge cleared.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
YEEESSSSSSSS. I just accidentally pulled this off with ROB of all people. I had a pretty standard build with Vampire and then his strongest attack and defense badges. Overall stats were +104/-23/-33. All specials were default except for the fire gyro. Was up over 100% by the time Master Shadow showed up but managed to beat him at 157%. Could not believe it... my heart was racing when I went into the fortress, but luckily ROB's movement is so good I was able to cruise through it.

I had tried this so many times, and made it to the boss without dying with so many different characters, I didn't know who was eventually going to beat this. I'm glad I decided to just work on the "Classic on 7.0 with everyone" grind to see if I happened to get this one along the way.

I went with a Shulk + vampire equipment + auto-healer set up and was able to beat this challenge my first try with the set-up.

Shulk naturally just makes multiman melee easier with his tilts and having a counter makes the hand/core battles easier.
On my first try with Shulk (who had pretty much the same build), I cruised all the way to the boss without dying, and made it to MF without dying, but I screwed up in the fortress and got KOed. I was so mad. I tried several more times with him but never got that close again. I thought for sure he would be the one I did it with.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Overall, I'm up to 32 characters who have beaten MF, and 13 who have beaten the game on 9.0.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Make sure you've memorized how to deal with Master Fortress. You don't want to **** up and die against him after making it so far.
Fortress is the easiest part :-). Thanks for the Beast advice -- different than the guide I read and clearly Bowser is my main so since there was a guide using him I thought I'd follow along. Works well, aside from cheap deaths and the Beast.

I almost did this with Ganondorf on my first try but his recovery SUCKS and lost at the Beast.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Believe it or not, though I may not consider myself a REAL PROFESSIONAL Smash player, I've actually beaten the Clear 9.0 With Losing A Stock challenge on my first week playing the Wii U version. I'm not kidding. I used Bowser as a custom fighter with no amiibo.

It actually isn't that difficult if some of you think about it. What WOULD be difficult is clearing Classic Mode 9.0 without EVER taking damage. SOMEONE should capable of doing that challenge.

pmort

Smash Cadet
You may not be a pro player but I think a lot of "I beat it on my first try (or some early measure of time)" people could drop the false modesty and admit that they have above average skills or, if insisting on claiming modest skills, admit they got a lucky setup.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
You may not be a pro player but I think a lot of "I beat it on my first try (or some early measure of time)" people could drop the false modesty and admit that they have above average skills or, if insisting on claiming modest skills, admit they got a lucky setup.
Agreed.

I technically beat this challenge on my "first try" with ROB, but I have been playing Smash since about 1999 (off and on), so I'm not exactly new to the game, and of course there is going to be some luck along the way, especially in terms of which items show up during matches.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Fortress is the easiest part :-). Thanks for the Beast advice -- different than the guide I read and clearly Bowser is my main so since there was a guide using him I thought I'd follow along. Works well, aside from cheap deaths and the Beast.

I almost did this with Ganondorf on my first try but his recovery SUCKS and lost at the Beast.
For Bowser, I recommend mainly killing Beast with the forward or up tilt. Fairly powerful, and not a ton of cooldown. I've found defense equipment pretty helpful in general, since I'm almost certain you're lighter than usual on 9.0.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
For Bowser, I recommend mainly killing Beast with the forward or up tilt. Fairly powerful, and not a ton of cooldown. I've found defense equipment pretty helpful in general, since I'm almost certain you're lighter than usual on 9.0.
Thanks. I've tried an auto-healer brawn build with 2 Diamond Shells, but am mixing it up to use a KO Healer Defense equipment instead of the other Diamond Shell. I think it'll make the early stock stages easier (as it did with my Ganondorf) then I know Fortress is cake. I can do that with my eyes closed...it's just getting to that point without dying that kills me.

Edit: Finally got it today with Ganondorf. I guess after trying so many times with Bowser before and making it so close made the sheer power and defense of Ganondorf shine through my imperfections. His kick (Up Smash) was a game changer. Load him up with auto-heal, ko healer and another strong defense badge and you're set for this challenge. I was amazed at how easily I did it once I switched back to Ganondorf.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Wait quick question guys. I need to be clear, the Challenge to clear 9.0 with no customs just means custom moves? As in we can still use all that vampire equipment and stuff?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wait quick question guys. I need to be clear, the Challenge to clear 9.0 with no customs just means custom moves? As in we can still use all that vampire equipment and stuff?
It means no customization at all. No equipment, No custom moves.
(Mii's might be an exception to at least the second scenario.)

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
I tried the 9.0 no equipment as my main Ganondorf, and with his high damage output the heart things in the fortress go down in 2 U airs, Unfortunately I fell in the acid at 278% due to my Controller dying so my tech didn't register and a got slammed in

Raijinken

Smash Master
A helpful tip for any Master Fortress run is that enemies don't respawn until a core is damaged. If you take it slow and kill each enemy cautiously, you make the environment as safe as possible for charged smashes/special moves/whatever, then kill some more, and repeat.

Ganondorf was the easiest to do the No Customs run, for me. Haven't yet gone for the no-death or 12-minute Marth runs.

Last edited:

d00derino

Smash Cadet
A helpful tip for any Master Fortress run is that enemies don't respawn until a core is damaged. If you take it slow and kill each enemy cautiously, you make the environment as safe as possible for charged smashes/special moves/whatever, then kill some more, and repeat.

Ganondorf was the easiest to do the No Customs run, for me. Haven't yet gone for the no-death or 12-minute Marth runs.
Words to live by. There's no rush, 6 minutes is way more time than you'll need. I usually finish with 3 minutes to spare at least.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
So after alternating between Bowser (my main) and Marth (counter and dashing assault for the win) and getting nowhere I try shulk for the first time and breeze through everything until I get to the mii team. Bowser and Marth had ways to easily destroy the miis but Shulk cant on 9.0 even in Smash mode. Any tips for Shulk to handle the miis? Or tips in general?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So after alternating between Bowser (my main) and Marth (counter and dashing assault for the win) and getting nowhere I try shulk for the first time and breeze through everything until I get to the mii team. Bowser and Marth had ways to easily destroy the miis but Shulk cant on 9.0 even in Smash mode. Any tips for Shulk to handle the miis? Or tips in general?
I usually cruised all the way to Master Core with Shulk. I had a build with vampire and maybe auto-heal. I think I mainly used counters and f-smash on the Mii team.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Well, since I cleared 9.0 without customs fairly easily with Luigi and just got a pair of Critical Hitter Gloves in Crazy Orders, I thought I'd try doing this challenge with this build:

Critical Hitter Gloves (+7 Atk -44 Def)
Risky Respawner Gloves (+60? Atk -12 Def)
Risky Respawner Protection Badge (+59 Def -13 Spd)
Default moveset

First try, I breezed through the normal stages (Miis excepted, but once I remembered to use b-down it was easier), obliterated the first three phases of Master Core and did decent at the Edges and Shadow... then completely choked at Master Fortress. Clearly it's been too long, and Luigi's admittedly not very mobile (Side-B 3 could've helped, I suppose). I think this'll end up being pretty easy to clear with this set now, at least. Luigi's 10-damage aerials and quick 13-damage usmash with +70 Atk and Critical Hitter equipment are downright scary.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Update: Donkey Kong is AMAZING. I was going through my 7.0 with everyone run and for a lot of characters I try on 9 to see how they'd do. My first go with DK I used an auto-healer tie, had all my stats positive, and had Hot Slap. I died once against the Miis, but thats it. I NEVER get through Core without dying, but DK pulled through. Hot Slap, while bad against the miis, made quick work of both Master Giant and the Fortress hearts, and I ended that with 2 stocks, 0 damage, and an unused heart container. If I can get past the Miis Im golden

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I did this one with Bowser Jr. I first planned to do it with Rosalina in order to abuse her down B so I can get those OP items more easily (looking at you, Ore club) but it happened that I almost never used it, plus she's a lightweight. Then I tried to choose another character and Bowser Jr. looked cool due to being heavyweight and having a powerful projectile.

The equipment I used:
- Protection Badge (Vampire, +18 def, -33 speed)
- Brawn Bagde (Auto-Healer, +8 atk, -20 def)
- Shell (Air Attacker, +43 def, -31 speed)

Special moveset:
- Neutral special: Clown Cannon (default)
- Side special: Koopa Drift (custom 2)
- Up special: Abandon Ship! (default)
- Down special: Big Mechakoopa (custom 3)

Vampire and Auto-Healer alongside a +41 defense bonus are here to give Bowser Jr. a solid staying power. Koopa Drift combined with Vampire is amazing; it heals a lot when used against two or three enemies at once. Big Mechakoopa is a great, powerful projectile. The last equipment is here primarily for the defense boost, with Air Attacker being a nice bonus particularly useful against Smash Balls, the hands and Master Edges, plus it makes no-car aerials even more deadly. Speaking of Bowser Jr.'s up B, it is awesome against the fighting Mii team. You basically just have to spam this move to beat them all, the explosion is very effective against them and the jump makes camping easy. And did I mention Smash Balls? Because another interesting thing is Bowser Jr.'s amazing Final Smash, arguably the best in the game due to how "no risk high reward" it is - mash the B button once you break the Smash Ball to activate your Final Smash asap and watch things die. In fact, I advise you to give Bowser Jr. a Smash Ball Attractor equipment if you have one that doesn't mess up his stats. An Item Hurler equipment can also be useful in order to make Mechakoopas absolutely deadly - assuming it works with character-generated items, I'm not sure about that.

Also, try to fight as little enemies as possible - like, avoid things like eight-player battles. One or two enemies is the best. If you're unlucky enough to be forced to do a chaotic battle with more than four players, try to camp as much as possible with minimal investment to the battle so CPUs can kill each other - though dont let them summoning Pokémon/Assist Trophies, break Smash Balls or pick OP items such as Ore club or Gust bellow. Only start to fight seriously when there are only two or three enemies left, and as I said earlier if you use a combination of Koopa Drift and Vampire equipment try to hurt several enemies at once to heal a high amont of damage.

Still, this challenge was pretty frustrating not because of high-level AI or Master Core but because of those items, those that made me consider using Rosalina in order to beat it. Those Dragoon parts the enemy always picks before me, those random Bom-Ombs always in the wrong place and those freaking BEETLES I didn't see coming can all burn in hell - I disabled many items like those even in chaotic casual battles with items on. I just don't enjoy using items like those. Fun fact, a Bombchu in the wrong place once killed both me and my last opponent in a battle, but regardless, the game still considered the challenge as beaten - I guess it considered my opponent as being killed one frame or two before I hit the blast line, so my K.O. wasn't counted.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I read somewhere that if your teammate gets killed in a team battle, the game counts that as you failing the challenge. Is this true?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Oh my God this is impossible. I have Ganon with high attack, lifesteal, and 0 defense. Enemies are riping me to shreds. His FSmash can take anything out in 2-3 hits, including Master Core forms. I've made it to Master Fortress several times, but can never go without dying.

Item luck, stage luck, enemies ganging up on you, enemies reading your every move and killing you, and of course 9.0 means they're powerful enough to launch you early. It's ridiculous. I think I'm going to get an aneurysm if I don't get a good setup soon.

The absolute worst part about this challenge is that it's luck-based. Anything can turn the tide against you, no matter how good at the game you are.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
So I FINALLY beat it with Donkey Kong. The trick? Auto-Healer stats in the positive (I'll post my setup later but it won't help because of how randomized equips are) and Hot Slap. It took me lots of practice and a bad roll could ruin it, but once I got to the Hands for the 3rd time, I won. Use Hot Slap against Giant, but watch out for his attacks, don't be stupid about it. Hot Slap also wrecks the Fortress hearts and even the Miis. Just roll to an edge, face away from the edge, and spam Hot Slap until you beat them.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
Before I came to this forum, I thought I could never get even close to beating Master Fortress. I'm so glad this thread exists.

Hope it's okay if I try out some of these custom sets y'all have made. Especially to get myself out of a stump.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Heavier characters tend to excel at this challenge since they survive longer in the final battles. Wario was my first character to beat this challenge (and the 9.0 no customs in a separate run.) I later found DK to be even easier, so consider trying one of them if you haven't already. I didn't even need to modify either of their special moves since their default move sets worked just fine.

My approach is different, though. I prefer going in with my strongest DEFENSE equipment, plus an auto heal item. Why? The problem with taking the high offense approach is that you sacrifice defense to do so. Sure, the all offense approach can be faster in general, but it is riskier, and can add to the frustration factor if you make a mistake or mistime a move, which is easy to do. But with the high defense approach, you mainly sacrifice speed, and that generally is not an issue.

Wario completely nullifies his speed penalty from the defense equipment with his bike. Your speed while riding the bike is always the same, regardless of how high or low your speed bonuses/penalties are. Take advantage of this as often as possible. In group battles, and especially the Mii battle, you can spam his bike and wheelies, but just be careful using those on smaller stages. Even if you aren't spamming the bike, it still makes a very effective escape against large groups, and obviously it makes for an easy recovery back to stages, regardless of your speed penalty.

After you defeat the hands, immediately spawn the bike, turn around, jump off, pick it up, and carry it to the very middle of the stage. You'll have just enough time to pull this off. As soon as you can visibly see the Master Core's head, throw that bike straight up. It will bounce off the top of his head and do a great deal of damage, giving you a head start. Wario's neutral aerial deals multiple hits of damage, so use it often against most forms. Repeat this tactic after each of Master Core's forms, bringing out the bike, and using it as a heavy projectile as each form is initially spawning. I usually save the Wario Waft for the swords, but just be careful not to be too high into the air when you let 'er rip!

After defeating all of Master Core's forms, the bike will once again be handy for speeding through certain portions of Master Fortress. It also allows you to drive over acid unharmed, but just beware that abandoning it on acid will not cause it to break, making it difficult to retrieve. Fortunately when you scroll it away far enough (or wait long enough) you can bring out a new one as needed. Wario's chomp is handy against some enemies in the fortress, plus you can use it to heal when you eat your bike, or preferably its remains. Use a fully charged smash (or a couple good aerials), and then a Wario Waft on the second and fourth targets for an easy victory.

And if Wario doesn't suit your needs, DK's up+B is very handy against most of Master Core's forms. And obviously charge your punch between forms for an easy head start. You might find his raw power to be more handy (and quicker), but I find Wario to be more fun. Good luck!

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
I had no idea Wario could be so helpful in these situations. Thanks for the tips on using him. I figured DK would be handy, too.

I'll have to add these two to my list of characters to use in MF.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
Is this for classic?

I had Bowser and my highest 3 attack equipment. He ends up with +130 attack, so literally 2 smash attacks on anyone is a ko

Top Bottom