• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South Smash Wii U Doubles & Singles Tournament

Smash Wii U Doubles & Singles Tournament
Posted by Wundermittens
Shades Crest Baptist Church
Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 02:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Chicago)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FEE AND NEW VENUE FEE OF $5!

Everyone is encouraged to do both doubles and singles! If you don’t have a friend to bring to the doubles tournament please feel free to comment on this website in order to find one! OR bring an amiibo as your sidekick to try and dominate the competition!

Please choose a tag for the competition. This is the name you will go by in the bracket and the name we will be calling to get your attention for a match. It can be as simple as your name or something funny but ABSOLUTELY NO PROFANITY OR INAPPROPRIATE TAG NAMES!!! Funny team tag names are encouraged (such as Tom and Jerry or whatever you can come up with).

Food is NOT allowed inside the gym under any circumstances. We will not be providing food but there are restaurants close to the church (such as New China whose lunch special ends at 3 so try to get it before then). Drink is also not allowed inside the gym unless it is in a sealed container. We will try to have drinks in the lobby but do not count on it.

Please bring set-ups if possible. Venue Fee is waived if set up is brought. My brother and I will only be providing 2. If you can bring a set-up, please leave a comment on this post letting me know or email me directly at swunder@uab.edu

We are hoping for a large turn out so please come early to register and have some friendly playing before the tournaments begin!

Please also visit:
https://bhamsmash.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/bhamsm4sh

Last edited:

Keet

Smash Journeyman
Will the tourney be streamed? What time does it start? Will the brackets be seeded?

Good stuff starting a new series in Birmingham. I'll try my best to come!

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Will the tourney be streamed? What time does it start? Will the brackets be seeded?

Good stuff starting a new series in Birmingham. I'll try my best to come!
The internet at the church is not the greatest so we probably will not stream the finals. We will definitely be recording the finals though and posting them on our website. Doors open at 12, doubles at 2, singles at 5. Winner and losers bracket. Check out the websites for questions! Most of them should be answered there but if not feel free to ask haha

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I will try my best to make it!

6 starter stages gives a huge edge to whoever wins the rock-paper-scissors. With the current rules, if you strike first your final strike is from a list of 3 stages. :|

Also I see nothing mentioned about Mii fighters. Are those legal in their entirety?

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the invite but I'm gonna have to Respectfully Decline on the grounds that I have a tournament to run the same day and I can only play melee.

LilBigham

Smash Cadet
Will the brackets be randomly seeded or do you have some way to reliably seed them? I know Keet already asked this but I wasn't sure if it was answered.

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Since this is our first tournament and we are hoping for a large crowd it will be difficult BUT we will try our best. Our plan is to look at the results of Birmingham Brawl and try to seed it the best we can. We also plan on having someone scope out the friendlys before the tournament begins in order to see who the true competitors are. In future tournaments we will recognize your faces and this will get better with time. We could attempt a pool style but are worried that this could become a disaster so we are sticking with double elimination. So don't worry lilbigham and keet, you won't be playing eachother in the first round!

Keet

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good man! Also just realized who you were after going on your website. Great stuff putting this together. Let me know if you guys need any help with anything!

I think it's a great idea to seed off of Birmingham Brawl results. I'd also check out the Smash 4 Alabama Power Rankings and seed off that as well.

Here's the link to the thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/alabama-smash-wii-u-power-rankings-08-30-15.416002/

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Thanks! That will also help a lot. I'll be sure to let you know if we need any help with anything. For now, we are just trying to get the word out as much as possible. So spread the word guys!

Tristan (and possibly I) will be at GG tomorrow so if you are going we will see you then!

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Since this is our first tournament and we are hoping for a large crowd it will be difficult BUT we will try our best. Our plan is to look at the results of Birmingham Brawl and try to seed it the best we can. We also plan on having someone scope out the friendlys before the tournament begins in order to see who the true competitors are. In future tournaments we will recognize your faces and this will get better with time. We could attempt a pool style but are worried that this could become a disaster so we are sticking with double elimination. So don't worry lilbigham and keet, you won't be playing eachother in the first round!
The easiest way to properly seed your bracket is to just have the players that travel and know what's up helping you out. When I was hosting my first events I always reached for reps from different regions to come look at the bracket before I finalized.

Doc_Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Teaming with amiibos might want to be reworked as high level amiibos do more knock back and percent than regular cpus.

I'll definitely try and make it out!

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
If you would rather have an amiibo then a human then go for it! Nothing is stopping you! Just remember that your amiibo fighter may not have any equipment attached. I personally would rather have a human on my side (even though the amiibo is stronger) but the decision is yours.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I will try and make it. If I do I will bring a setup.

Personally, I don't think CPUs or Amiibos should be allowed in doubles. I'm sure there will be people willing to step in and play.

Looking forward to challenging DanGR DanGR again!

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
I'm confused...
I don't believe it said anywhere in the rules that only certian people can have Amiibos as their partners.

If you are salty about the amiibos THEN HAVE AN AMIIBO ON YOUR TEAM!!!

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Personally, I won't participate in the doubles if Amiibos are allowed. Call me Salty, but I'd rather lose my money to humans than to computers.

Doc_Pickle

Smash Apprentice
I'm confused...
I don't believe it said anywhere in the rules that only certian people can have Amiibos as their partners.

If you are salty about the amiibos THEN HAVE AN AMIIBO ON YOUR TEAM!!!
You guys don't understand, having an amiibo on one's team is unfair to another team that doesn't have an amiibo as amiibos do more damage and knockback than regular cpus, therefore I would like to request that amiibos be banned as to not give an unfair advantage to a team with human + amiibo over a human + human team.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You guys don't understand, having an amiibo on one's team is unfair to another team that doesn't have an amiibo as amiibos do more damage and knockback than regular cpus, therefore I would like to request that amiibos be banned as to not give an unfair advantage to a team with human + amiibo over a human + human team.
I would like to further this by having a side event, if possible, for human + Amiibo vs human + Amiibo.

Last edited:

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Other tournaments have done it and had it work out fine. We wanted to give it a try! We don't expect a human and amiibo team to win the tournament (considering the best players there can handle amiibos no problem). An amiibo partner is fun for those who have taken the time to train their amiibos the best they can. If it ends up not working out then we won't do it in the future. It'll be fun to see how it works out though! And yes, Doc_Pickle Doc_Pickle we understand that amiibos are stronger. They also kill themselves and are computers. We are not banning them for this tournament. If it upsets you then don't compete. You won't hurt our feelings. Trust me.

Top Bottom