• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ryu

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ryu

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Ryu match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Ryu. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Ryu does not have any custom special moves. However, he can still face fighters who do have custom special moves to use. As a result, if Rosalina is using her custom special moves against Ryu, the match should be treated as a "Default + Custom" scenario.

Last Updated: 2/7/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4ryu:
Default only | :rosalina: | ±0
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +1 - +1.5
Default only
Kaishin: -1
MeteorSpike: +1

Default + Custom
Kaishin: +1
MeteorSpike: +1 - +2

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I won't speak about custom moves (since most all tourneys don't use them anymore + lack of experience against custom Rosa players)

I will not give my thoughts on MU numbers without sufficient evidence collected but here's my take on the MU.

Ryu hits hard, very hard. His Fair, Bair, jab combos, Utilt2, Hjab, Fsmash, Dsmash, Uthrow, and Dthrow are all sufficient ways to get rid of Luma or bat her around. To stay safe and take care of her, I'll throw out some SH Shakunetsu's. Rosa can absorb this butit also puts her in heavy lag which means the Ryu could bait her and punish.

It general, the Rosa needs to protect luma or at least sacrifice her for clean damage.

Rosa's grab range is VERY good, Ryu's approach range is VERY bad. His aerials rely on shield slide most of the time to stay safe. Learn the quick timing on grabs and get into a habit of looking for shield grabs on his aerials.

Ryu may be able to kill Rosa early but you won't be seeing combos from him in this MU. Her floaty weight is very un-ideal for the cool combos. Just a lot of Fairs to be expected.

The Rosa's goal should be to get Ryu in the air. Take Ryu somewhere without platforms. Don't give him more options to escape. Ryu will try to use his FADC to descend safely but Rosa will not have any of it as long as luma is with her. Use uair to catch Ryu in FADC or once he dashes out with the lingering hitbox. I usually opt to tatsumaki away but you can still follow and punish the end lag. Do not let him land, this is where you have a huge advantage. Punish landing with rosa+luma upsmash. It will beat any FA attempt and has good range. Dash attack will have the same effect.

If you have Ryu off stage, he can mix up his recovery very well. I would try to fake him out and edge guard low to bait a tatsumaki and use dair to punish. If no bait is required, dair the tatsu immediately and directly above. You will lose on its sides. When Rosa is being edge guarded, try to camp off stage. Ryu does not have many good edge guarding options atm. If he's coming off stage, let him struggle for a second, have to jump back, and then you up b.

This is all conclusive info i have now. Much more to come :D

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If any Rosalina players wanna throw down, hit me up in a private message. East coast and Midwest of the US only though sorry. I'm always looking to learn and level up.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
rofl stop with that best Ryu in NA stuff bruh. its def not true lol

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
I'm inclined to think that Rosa has slight advantage against Ryu in both scenarios.
Ryu has his trademark damage and killpower, but struggles to approach.
Just from that statement alone, he's more or less a Luigi with a less-spamable projectile.
Tatsu's really do tear Luma up, though, and are likely to send him tumbling to death, but Rosa can easily block and punish, if not outmaneuver the tatsu altogether, potentially saving Luma as well.
Rosa's aerial characteristics prevent her from being forced to take too much crap with Ryu's soft tilts, but his hard tilts will hurt.
Also, Ryu's DownB will largely be useless for multiple reasons: For starters, Rosa's already-decent grab game is further bolstered by an opponent who can't crouch under her grabs (like Kirby), and with Luma, all of Rosa's moves consist of more than one hit.
With defaults, Rosa's SideB also cancels Ryu's specials and approaches nicely, and Ryu doesn't get much off of blocking it either.
The combination of Luma and Rosa's DownB prevents Ryu's fireballs from being too effective.
However, there's the difference in weight and killpower: Ryu can afford to play somewhat haphazardly here because any incidental smash attack will hurt Rosa quite hard, while Ryu's above-average weight makes Rosa have to work a little harder than usual to kill him.
When Ryu's offstage, he's in trouble.
I have seen firsthand Rosa's DAir clearnly spiking Ryu out of his SideB, and both his standard UpB and 623 UpB (in the case of the latter, Rosa will need to DAir outside of the reach of Ryu's fist, at the end of the UpB's jump, or whenever the UpB snaps to the edge, in order to beat the more-thorough intangibility)
When caught in the air against Rosa, her Luma-enhanced aerials prevent Ryu's DownB from helping, meaning he has to handle the juggle like everyone else would.
When Rosa's offstage, the flexibility of her UpB's timing and trajectory, combined with Ryu's inexistent air-acceleration can make her hard to intercept.
Ryu will need to take advantage of air FADC's if he wants to mix-up his attempted intercepting-patch.
All in all, with Luma, Rosa in neutral is just too good against Ryu in neutral.
If Ryu tries to walk, move, zone/space, or dash towards her on the ground, Rosa can outpoke with SideB, her jab, or tilts.
If he tries to come in from the air, he's asking to get swatted by Rosa's anti-airs.
If he tries to use fireballs, they will be eaten by either Luma, Star Bits, or Pull.
If he tries to approach with tatsu's, whether on the air or ground, he may take out Luma, but Rosa can simply block or move around it to punish afterwards.
However, with Luma out of the fight, Ryu can get in for free, but I find that he has too much trouble getting past an intelligently defensive Rosa, who still outreaches Ryu on the ground with FTilt, can still swat him out of the air with USmash, beat out careless attempts in with DSmash, can still just as easily grab him, throw, then regrab upon the predicted landing trap, or do other things to stall for Luma's return, while preventing Ryu from gaining too much offense and ground.
Without Luma though, Ryu can safely apply his NeutralB and DownB, potentially get the crumple and dish out heavy damage; Rosa's only multi-hit move alone is her unsafe FAir.
In defaults only, I'd say Rosa's favor, +1
With customs, Rosa gets the obvious Shooting Stars, which are a real pain for Ryu.
Unlike the default Stars, Ryu can now focus them, but it doesn't help that Shooting Stars just beat out his normal fireballs, and have such long range, and also stuff tatsu's.
Luma warp can surprise a Ryu trying to zone or focus, and against a focusing Ryu, the warp can break the focus armor, and Rosa can have Luma immediately follow up to hit the now-armorless Ryu.
With customs, Rosa only stands to gain benefit, while Ryu doesn't which, by proxy, makes him suffer.
With customs I'd say Rosa's favor +1 or +2

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Neither Ryu nor Rosalina are forced to ever approach nor are they approaching characters.

They play the same game with different tools.

Closing space is not approaching.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ryu's U-throw and D-throw both instantly kill Luma. It's hilarious.

That being said if he's caught in the air while Luma is alive...nothing he can really do against her U-smash.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I won't speak about custom moves (since most all tourneys don't use them anymore + lack of experience against custom Rosa players)

I will not give my thoughts on MU numbers without sufficient evidence collected but here's my take on the MU.

Ryu hits hard, very hard. His Fair, Bair, jab combos, Utilt2, Hjab, Fsmash, Dsmash, Uthrow, and Dthrow are all sufficient ways to get rid of Luma or bat her around. To stay safe and take care of her, I'll throw out some SH Shakunetsu's. Rosa can absorb this butit also puts her in heavy lag which means the Ryu could bait her and punish.

It general, the Rosa needs to protect luma or at least sacrifice her for clean damage.

Rosa's grab range is VERY good, Ryu's approach range is VERY bad. His aerials rely on shield slide most of the time to stay safe. Learn the quick timing on grabs and get into a habit of looking for shield grabs on his aerials.

Ryu may be able to kill Rosa early but you won't be seeing combos from him in this MU. Her floaty weight is very un-ideal for the cool combos. Just a lot of Fairs to be expected.

The Rosa's goal should be to get Ryu in the air. Take Ryu somewhere without platforms. Don't give him more options to escape. Ryu will try to use his FADC to descend safely but Rosa will not have any of it as long as luma is with her. Use uair to catch Ryu in FADC or once he dashes out with the lingering hitbox. I usually opt to tatsumaki away but you can still follow and punish the end lag. Do not let him land, this is where you have a huge advantage. Punish landing with rosa+luma upsmash. It will beat any FA attempt and has good range. Dash attack will have the same effect.

If you have Ryu off stage, he can mix up his recovery very well. I would try to fake him out and edge guard low to bait a tatsumaki and use dair to punish. If no bait is required, dair the tatsu immediately and directly above. You will lose on its sides. When Rosa is being edge guarded, try to camp off stage. Ryu does not have many good edge guarding options atm. If he's coming off stage, let him struggle for a second, have to jump back, and then you up b.

This is all conclusive info i have now. Much more to come :D
thanks for the info but will using luma's multijab to edgeguard be good?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the info but will using luma's multijab to edgeguard be good?
Which edgeguard are you talking about? If you mean the Dabuz tech, then no. We have hit boxes that will hit and maybe kill luma, if you mean the ledgeguard, then also no. I don't know at what point the late hitbox of shoryuken will knock luma out of spin jab but the hitbox of shoryuken extends past the ledge when we recover. So most likely, luma will be knocked away, leaving you in the jab animation, luma with more damage/possibly dead, and us back on stage.

RoninX1819

Smash Rookie
Rosa does not completely out zone ryu in neutral. really good safe pokes he has to get ride of luma are a sh fair or bair. hes also got Lftilt and really good dtilt pressure as well. he has all the tools to get rid of luma and fast. yes rosa sharks ryu off stage but so does rosa. sure she can mix up her recovery but shes still aiming for the ledge which we can either tatsu and get a stage spike, ledge trump bair, walk of nair stall to spike we have solid options as well when it comes to off stage.

w0ah

Smash Cadet
NNID
lanybobany
Basic :rosalina: stuff like up throw to jab or up-tilt go a long way. Ryu doesnt have a disjoint and his projectile isn't the fastest so Bair is a decent spacing tool if you don't have luma. Don't use gravitational pull on hadouken since he will get a free punish. Use Luma's jab to beat out his hadouken.

When recovering you can mix it up by going high and landing on a platform or the otherside of the stage. Ryu doesn't have the fastest run speed so he won't be able to punish often. This works really well on smashville because of the platform.

Space your ariels well since you cant afford to only have Luma hit his focus attack. Other than that up air is free.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
-1 without customs for Rosa (who the **** thinks we win this? what?)
+1 with customs

Either because of Ryu's movement speed in the air, the speed of his aerials, or their range in general, he often times can just blast through the Rosa train. Jab gets beaten by Ryu's fair (or whatever that massive-ranged kicking move is). Anyone whose aerials Rosalina has to respect she can't just stomp on.

Rosalina does has some discreet advantages, however, such as having an easier time gimping Ryu because of the direction she's coming from as well as many of her moves hitting twice so escaping juggles with Ryu's down b isn't free against Rosa like it is with a lot of characters.

However, it is more difficult to juggle Ryu than other characters with his air speed thanks to his ability to use down b not just to absorb a single hit, but to shift his direction on a dime. All of my juggles are on people who don't realize this is the case. C'mon guys, please adapt.

However, above all else, the thing that makes this match bad for us is the fact that up tilt to true shoryuken kills us at 60 on every stage but Battlefield or Duck Hunt and nothing Rosalina has can possibly make up for that. I like how Ryu is a hard character to use for how good he is but why on Earth did they make his most powerful tool piss easy.

Ryu doesn't have customs so we can just spam SSL until the end of time against him, which is why we win with customs.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ryu is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Mr. GVO

Smash Rookie
If any Rosa's are looking to practice the MU PM me. Always looking to get better at it.

Null2000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1864-9953-6648
In my opinion, perfect pivoting into shield is super important in this matchup for Rosalina. Perfect pivoting towards Ryu will protect Luma and completely throw off his aerial spacing/combos, and perfect pivoting away from Ryu will allow you to mix him up. Don’t be predictable, don’t perfect pivot every time he approaches you from the air, and remember to mix it up always.

Top Bottom