• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Wii Fit Trainer

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Wii Fit Trainer

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Wii Fit Trainer match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Wii Fit Trainer. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 4/3/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1 - +1.5
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | -1.5
Default only
GwJ: +2
John12346: ±0 - +1

Default + Custom
MeteorSpike: -2 - -1

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
WFT's dash attack is pretty decent again Luma. That's about all she has going for the matchup though. WFT has no tools to actually get past our zoning. Our jabs and tilts basically keep WFT COMPLTELY out. I'd put this at +2.

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
With customs, I think either +1 or +2 for WFT.
I think this MU rides entirely on the one, single move that overhauls WFT: The Jumbo Hoops
WFT literally turns a whole new leaf with the Jumbo Hoop, which lets WFT kill off Luma at any time, and there isn't much Rosa can do about it.
If Rosa gets caught in the move, whether she blocks it or gets hit by it, Luma's basically guaranteed to be gone.
WFT is vulnerable when landing after the UpB, but she can end it over an edge to grab it, and reset the situation, meaning Rosa isn't guaranteed a punish even if she does manage to outlast the Jumbo Hoop without taking damage.
The only reprieve for Rosa is that she can stop the UpB either by poking at WFT with Shooting Star Bits, or preempting the UpB with a Floaty Star Bit, walling WFT out if only temporarily.
Rosa's only means of avoiding it are being below WFT (which is sometimes not feasible if WFT does it on stage or if there isn't a edge close enough), being above WFT (also not feasible sometimes, since WFT can mash the UpB to rise into you), or with a projectile...which Rosa only has when Luma's around, much less not tumbling.
Custom WFT has a lot of tools to either dispose of Luma or disregard Luma, as she also gains Enriched Salutation and Sweeping Salutation.
Enriched charges and travels quite fast, while being undeniably strong: If it hits Luma, it'll likely tumble it into the blast line.
Sweeping is a piercing projectile, which does not bode well for not only Luma, but Shooting Star Bits as well.
If Rosa takes the time to Pull either one, WFT can simply get the Jumbo Hoops off the ground while Rosa does so.
If Rosa is caught offstage, WFT can set up a literally impassable edgeguard by hanging off the edge, dropping, and putting Jumbo Hoops out there, blocking Rosa's path to the stage if she can't recover high.
The amount of control WFT has over the placement and duration of the Jumbo Hoops with an edge nearby to cancel it with essentially puts up a test of how long the Rosa can tech stage spikes if, again, she can't recover high or otherwise recover around WFT.
On the other hand, if WFT is offstage, Rosa can poke at WFT exposed head with DAir.
If Rosa gets the spike, WFT can't do much since Jumbo Hoops have lesser vertical travel distance--even with maximized mashing.
On top of all that, Luma has a noticeably hard time hitting away any and all of WFT's soccer balls without getting hit as well.
Again, if Rosa takes the time to Pull, WFT can use the opening, where Rosa is guaranteed to be unable to put out a projectile, to get Jumbo Hoops out, sweep the screen, and likely clearing Luma as well.
Rosa will inevitably have to become very familiar to fighting without Luma, as he's guaranteed to be taken out very quickly if he isn't constantly out of the picture.
This MU can be incredibly frustrating for Rosa.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Customs Off, I actually believe this matchup is closer to even. Either 0 or +0.5 in Rosa's favor.

The key to this matchup is entirely based around Wii Fit's ability to take Luma out with relative ease. Her Dash Attack, Ftilt, and Uair will all knock Luma away regardless of his current damage and Bair and Sun Salutation will knock Luma away when he has been lightly damaged. Of course, Rosa's ability to space Wii Fit with Luma is always an ever-present threat, but Wii Fit's standard style of spacing with projectiles and pseudo-burst options, I believe, is sufficient to navigate the neutral in this matchup. These three moves are going to be what you see most often:

- Dash Attack, which will knock Luma away and thus reduce the damage of a punish if Rosa shields, regardless of whether or not Luma survives.
- Dash Grab, which leads into Fthrow/Bthrow on Rosa > Ftilt on Luma.
- Sun Salutation, which can negotiate Rosa's spacing game to a degree because she can stay out of range while constantly threatening to knock Luma away. Rosa also has to be careful about Pulling at the wrong time because it might lead into a free grab for Wii Fit which will also spell death for Luma.

That's the neutral for Wii Fit in a nutshell. She definitely has the tools to keep up with Rosa's presence, although I would say Rosa still has a very slight leg up, as long as she's very careful not to allow Luma to get killed too early. Being ready to slap Wii Fit's dash attempts with spaced moves before they reach Rosa, as well as Pulling Sun Salutations with proper timing are going to be paramount here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wii Fit Trainer is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Just gonna copy this in from the Competitive Impressions thread:

On the Rosa matchup, my stance on the matchup ratio hasn't changed much (I still believe it's close to even, but slightly in Rosa's favor). Dabuz just plays like a crazy person and it's more him than Rosa that bops me.

Of note, my opinions on how the matchup play out HAVE changed a good deal, so I'll just note what's different from the above quoted, below:

Here are the revisions:
- When Wii Fit grabs Rosa, she can Uthrow her and have time to get at least two clean hits on Luma, even if Rosa got thrown at 0.
- Bthrow is too slow, and Luma will hit Wii Fit before the animation finishes.
- Fthrow is not recommended because when you start attacking Luma after, you're just going to knock him towards Rosa, making things difficult.
- Even though Dash Attack launches Luma, it's still next to useless because Shield exists.
- Sun Salutation is a lot more important than I initially gave it credit for. In addition to everything I already mentioned, Rosa cannot dash forward, because then the Sun will hit her instead. Sun can also hit Luma if Rosa tries to block with anything other than a full Shield.
- You can also guarantee a kill on Luma if Rosa performs a low recovery, by using an outwards facing Uair from below right as she grabs the edge. You can try following up with this if you attempt and miss your Header spike.
- Wii Fit's ledge attack covers a HUGE amount of horizontal space, and will launch Luma at any percent, meaning that Rosa's punish on you if she blocks it will be trivial at best. If she wants to avoid this happening, she has to stand waaay outside of Jab pressure range which is nice.

Top Bottom