• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mega Man

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Mega Man

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Mega Man match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Mega Man. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 3/6/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4megaman:
Default only | :rosalina: | ±0 - +0.5
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | ±0
Default only
Addy Who Dat: +1
CopShowGuy: +1
Eternal Blue Syaoran: +1
Gadiel_VaStar: ±0
Pika Kong: ±0 - +1
ravemaster47: ±0
Red Shirt KRT: ±0
Sneak Sneaks: ±0 - +1
SpottedCerberus: ±0
xIvan321: ±0

Default + Custom
Gadiel_VaStar: ±0
Pika Kong: ±0 - +1
Red Shirt KRT: -1 - ±0
SpottedCerberus: ±0

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I don't play customs so my experience will only be on default settings.

This is an extremely frustrating match for megaman. Rosaluma is probably one of our worst match ups. Her gravity pull shuts down our zoning tools and even gives her our METAL Blade. We are pretty heavy so she can do some pretty nasty things to us because of it. Luma is an absolute pest to deal.with in this matchup as it blocks all of our followup from grabs if we ever get in to grab her. She is one character I don't pummel just because Luma will whoop my robot ass.

That being said, mega has a few things that do work for him here. Rosa is pretty gimp able with megamans dairs and bairs. Our crash bomber also explodes on contact with luma, causing small damage to Rosa if she is near it. I do think megaman can shine in the matchup as long as Luma is not around, as I feel Rosa looses the shield that allows her to wall our projectiles and get insane amounts of damage on us.

70:30 is my gauge on the matchup, rosalina's favor. But I'd almost go as far as 60:40, its just a tough fight for the blue bomber.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
As a megaman main I must say zoning with megaman is very important but it isnt all we can do.. we are at a disadvantage in projectiles but we can still take advantage of her big hurtbox and the upgrade from crashbomber exploding inmediately, also we can condition her to gravity pull and take advantage of that, also we shine at gimping and her approaches arent that good either and because of tools like crashbomber we win the camp war, Ill give it a 50:50 or 55:45 since in this matchup I think you only need experience to win it with patience

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
My best friend plays a Megaman.. on the surface this seems like a matchup that would be completely dominated by Rosalina. But a smart Megaman can actually do some pretty interesting things in this matchup.
If his projectiles are used right they can actually cause some interesting things to happen. Also he has a decent spike for her no hitbox recovery. Back air too can cause edge guard her pretty well.
Him being a heavy character can help him last against her, but his recovery going straight up makes him an easy target for her.
Luma can punch the Metal Blades, and attack the crash bombs. (can't remember if jab will do it but other luma attacks can beat it if timed right but generally they aren't that optimal.. will have to test jab later)
I would like to say it's still in Rosalina's favor.. I would say maybe a +1 for Rosalina and Luma.
EDIT: Default movesets.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I think it's even because Rosalina can die so early to an uptilt/bair edgeguard. Customs or no customs, it's even.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
It is a frustrating match, but I've noticed that Gravitational Pull doesn't really benefit Rosalina very much. Good Mega Man players are already good at baiting reflectors and absorb moves. I also feel like Mega Man has an easier time getting rid of Luma compared to most of the cast. Mega Man's biggest problem is securing the KO most of the time and Rosalina doesn't have that problem (when Luma is around).

I'd say the default matchup is even or +1 in Rosalina's favor.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Rosalina is annoying, and I personally don't do well against her, but I don't consider her tht bad a matchup with or without customs. Gravitational Pull can be a pain in the neck and renders our Uair (one of my favorite moves) a lot less reliable than usual, but its easily punishable at close or mid ranges, and most of the time Mega Man should be in mid range anyway so we can bait and punish that. I also find it a bit easier to dispose of Luma than it is with other characters and Rosaline is pretty weak without Luma: crash bomber explodes instantly on him and can harm Rosa too, and metal blades can pierce through and pressure Rosa's shield while still damaging Luma. Not to mention Rosalina is one of the lightest in the game (which is kinda funny, considering how she's usually a light heavy in the Mario games lol) with a recovery that lacks a hitbox you can die real early from Utilt and we have a setup into it with fullhop metal blades, and edgeguarding you isn't too tough with Bair, Leaf Shield, and z-drop Metal Blades. With Customs we get tornado hold, and that makes our edgeguarding even better and harder to avoid, at the cost of a mediocre recovery. I don't think Rosalina wins because of GP, but because of her superior damage output, kill moves, and priority with Luma.

As annoying as she is, I think the matchup is even for the most part and I ain't convinced we lose it just yet. Could be Rosalina's favor by just +1, but I don't buy it yet. I can think of MUs worse for us than her, honestly.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
No, for customs too. I do personally watch put for Luma Warp, but other than that it feels the same for the most part.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Luma Warp can be stuffed by most of Mega Man's attacks. The few times I've fought a custom Rosalina, Warp was less of an issue for me compared to other people he played. Mostly because she warped Luma right into me as I was attacking which stopped Luma from doing anything.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
I think it's even in default or customs. Crash Bomber is great in this match-up.
And, if customs are enabled, danger wrap is a very good KO option.

Gravitational pull is kind of overrated. Mega Man can bait and punish it. She can use it to steal Metal Blade, but that also limits her options. Ever since the exploit that allowed tilts while holding items was patched out, this hasn't been as much as a threat.

Rosa can't depend on shield at all against Mega Man, because he will destroy Luma, whether with Crash Bomber or Metal Blade.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
One thing Ill like to point out is that, Luma gets destroyed very often, but that doesnt leave Rosalina totally useless since she can change her playstyle to a defensive play and spam her no startup lag smashes

Addy Who Dat

Smash Cadet
As a Rosa and Mega pocket, its easy to see Mega gets easily frustrated in this MU, and even a calm and extremely disciplined Mega still is limited against Rosa. The most crushing thing is that Rosa wins the neutral against anyone, and Megaman, built upon establishing stage control and initiating neutral, loses an integral piece of his typical strategy that gets him success. Gravatational Pull is the main culprit, but Lumas presence alone haunts Mega as it eats anything Mega throws out (aside from his F-smash), and helps in stage control. However, there are things Mega can do or exploit more effectively, and it goes a long way towards ur confidence and calmness mid-match. Landing F Smash aerials may put Luma offstsge, and Megaman can breathe. Rosa, expecting Mega to spam projectile now that she's lost her protection may sheild often and Gravitational Pull. Megaman can now open up his grab game, for extra damage. And since Rosa likes jumping out of pressure, and using dair once above you, d throw or up throw to uair may be easier to connect, putting Rosa in a rare situation where her dair is challenged (and arguably beaten by Mega's uair), and could lead to those cheeky 30% kills off the top :p. Rosalina likes FD, BF, and Megaman relies on BF and Duck Hunt for early kills. Town & City could offer Mega help, as the platforms may provide temporary relief from Rosalina's intimidating stage control, and possibly lead to Metal Blade setups. Megaman's customs are silly, so a Rosalina will really be on their toes, especially in the air with Megas side b 2. Rosalina still gets milage from her strong side b, but its insult to injury as she already wins stage control on Megaman. Opting for the sheer speed of custom Luma shot may be a solid option, as moving Luma around the stage a bit faster allows for good hits on it to become less common, terrible for Mega who only thrives in this MU when Luma is gone. 60:40 or 65: 35 are reasonable. I guess it's nice using Rosa and Mega, as I feel my Mega is equipped to fight Rosa as I play her myself, and understand both characters. Love discussing this MU :chuckle:. (+1 Rosalina's favor)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mega Man is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
My previous posts still hold true. "Default only" though. +1 in Rosa's favor at most.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Yeah, not much has changed on this matchup. It's probably about an even matchup. And a matching that requires patience on both sides.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I certain especially now, its an even match up. I mean before you'd just had to know the match up, but since then we have one more option that should be explored which is the advanced technique boost blade. (forward tossed) I feel like it definitely changes how safe gravitational pull really is in terms of usefulness. Which is why Rosalina herself will need to mix up even more to keep up with Mega Man, or else she can die from such great bait at 50-60% in this patch.

I do think the match up on both sides is just annoying. Mega Man has projectiles and can auto detonate a crash bomber on Luma and get a follow up in the air, while Rosalina's problem for us has mostly just been Luma's kill power as most Mega Man players will often say. While the anti-projectile move can be an inconvenience, it can mostly be a non-issue. Its not a problem for me, especially when I can just slide over there and mix it up with good baits.

I've played this game as a solo main for a very long time and this hasn't been a match up more professional Mega Man players had struggled with as much as some may imagine, even before the boost blade. However, certainly more should be explored with against Mega Man players who can do that advanced technique, but unfortunately that's gonna take more time before we see a Mega Man other than myself, Scatt, or Smasher1001 all do it flawlessly and can test the MU, but from enough experience, I have a pretty good feeling its pretty equal.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
This matchup is even. With customs 55-45 in Megas favor simply because of danger wrap.

Grav pull is not as useful as you would think. Yes it shuts our projectiles down but that is all it does. Once we condition you to use it we have power over you.

We have a good edge guard game and we have great off the top kill options which work against Rosas weight and size.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
This matchup is even. With customs 55-45 in Megas favor simply because of danger wrap.

Grav pull is not as useful as you would think. Yes it shuts our projectiles down but that is all it does. Once we condition you to use it we have power over you.

We have a good edge guard game and we have great off the top kill options which work against Rosas weight and size.
Why is it in your favor with danger wrap?

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
Why is it in your favor with danger wrap?
I haven't used much of customs but from what i do know, it gives us another tool to pressure with from below. Both up air and danger wrap are viable kill options against Rosalina. Plus Danger Wrap acts like Crash Bomb in that it detonates when Luma is hit by it. So stages like Battlefield would be really good for us because it would make it harder for her to land when we can platform camp. This is me just theory crafting though so i can't really say for sure. Can another Mega Man player who has used customs confirm this?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Danger wrap is a really strong off the top kill move and rosa being so light it can be trouble. Yes she can grab pull it but one mistake at reasonable percent and its an easy stock.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
They are pretty much irrelevant you are correct. There is no way DW is worse than CB. It a very good kill option for us.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
They are pretty much irrelevant you are correct. There is no way DW is worse than CB. It a very good kill option for us.
Kill options aren't what I'm arguing about, its about how much useful it is in the neutral. To me, what good would it be trying to kill your opponent if you can't even hit them? Maybe you can kill earlier with Danger Wrap, but that's about it. Crash Bomber simply has a lot more utility. Generally Crash Bomber is a better combo tool, lowering shields, and condition opponents to make huge mistakes. Danger Wrap is mainly for a punish game, but its still pretty hard to land due to its angle.

But like I was saying, I'm not disagreeing with you for being a better kill option, however that does not automatically mean its better overall. Its a nice custom, but I can't help to feel its overrated.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Last edited:
Top Bottom