• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ness

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ness

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Ness match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Ness. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 7/19/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4ness:
Default only | :rosalina: | +2
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +2
Default only
AlMoStLeGeNdArY: +2
Kaine <3: +1
Kodystri: +2
Luco: +2
Noa.: +1 - +2
Saturns [FM]: +2
TSmasher1000: +1
Underhill: +2

Default + Custom
AlMoStLeGeNdArY: +2
Kaine <3: +1
Kodystri: +2
TSmasher1000: +1
Underhill: +2

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Genius. Last time we had the unfortunate nature of not coming to the discussion much if at all. This time I think it's important that as many :4ness: mains as possible give their input on this MU, as well as :rosalina: mains . To that end, I'd like to tag @ Noa. Noa. @Earthbound360 @Shaky @Meccs @Waael @ Kodystri Kodystri @Pazx @PKBeam @NAKAT @Dabuz @ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY @falln and whoever else would like to contribute should because I believe this is one of our most critical MUs to discuss.

With that opening, i'm going to give you my short evaluation (I have not been in the competitive scene for over 7 months now and my analysis tends to become very general so forgive me in advance).

In terms of the neutral game, Luma gives Rosa a particular edge in this MU. If Ness gets rid of Luma, he gains a distinct advantage against her (as most of the cast do), and if Luma falls to the ground, PK Fire can occasionally trap it and create a wall which is obviously quite neat. When rosalina gets put in disadvantage without Luma it's not the worst but I'm pretty sure GP-ing PKT in juggles can be punished if Rosa is close enough to the ground? Grab combos apply here now that Luma can't act when Rosa is in hitstun but followups that aren't guaranteed can be iffy. When Ness gets put off-stage, he HAS to save his DJ for the right time. Thankfully Ness has a great AD and set of aerials, allowing him to survive most times he's taken off-stage by the majority of the cast that can gimp him GP-style or windbox-style or any-style really. Should Ness be forced to GP, it's probably death, especially if Rosa spaces it well. If ness gets hit by the PKT bolt in the middle of absorption, he should consider himself very very lucky (not even sure if he can't get gimped again if Rosa is quick enough).

Rosa being a light and tall target with average mobility means it's not awful in neutral, and Bthrow and other aerials will kill at quite low percentages, but even so this almost certainly Ness' worst MU.

I have been told that it's not that bad by quite a few top players (including Dabuz) and Ness mains just need to get over their fear of the MU. In theory I believe this MU very much has the potential to be a -1. However I am also, as some here have heard me say, a big believer of the "now." In that 'now', Dabuz and I believe possibly Falln(?) have a flawless track record against the top Ness mains, which indicates to me it is obviously worse than -1 and, at least in the present, possibly our only -2.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Luco Luco : Keep note that when making score inputs, you should mention if the score is under "default only" rules, or if custom specials are involved. Also, it'll be easier for me if you mention whose perspective the scores are for, since I'm a bit confused on if the scores are for Ness or for Rosalina.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ Luco Luco : Keep note that when making score inputs, you should mention if the score is under "default only" rules, or if custom specials are involved. Also, it'll be easier for me if you mention whose perspective the scores are for, since I'm a bit confused on if the scores are for Ness or for Rosalina.
Right, of course. I'd have no idea what to think with a customs on MU (floaty star bit would probably be more annoying though because it's a full stage projectile that iirc can't be absorbed?), so my rating is customs off, and my perspective is for Ness (sorry that's an intrinsic thing I do :p ).

From Rosalina's perspective I would argue this MU to be a +2.

EDIT: Oh yay. That's actually the first time Smashboards has ever copied a post of mine. :p Sorry about that :/

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Okay, I will make my post since @ Luco Luco kindly directed me to this.

(Skip first paragraph if you don't care about my introduction)
I will introduce myself. I am Kodystri. As many people on Smash Ladder knows, I am usually on the top of SmashLadder until I started sandbagging with Lucas(Mainly because of experience), but I am mainly a Ness main and use him for majority of tournaments. Most people would call me a "Wi-Fi Warrior." or something similar like that. Not only I am that, I am also a rising player in Georgia, a region filled with amazing Rosalinas such as @Neos and @Gadiel_VaStar . True, they may not be amazing as Dabuzs, but they are still amazing Rosalinas regardless in my eyes. I am currently ranked 23rd in Georgia's PR, although I have started beating PR players in Georgia as of lately.

Without further delay, lets get to the MU.

I feel like the MU is +2 in Rosalinas favor and both customs and default.. I highly believe this is Ness's worst MU follow closely by Sheik, Mega Man and Sonic(the Ness boards will strike you to the ground that Sonic is THE worst MU *pokes*). Besides the gimps, Ness really struggles in the neutral game. I know in the past I have advertised that Ness won the neutral game on a reddit post, but as more Rosalinas got more advanced and perfected this play, I no longer believe this.

Why does Ness not win the Neutral Game? Because Luma. I like to occasionally joke that Luma is the character and Rosalina as the sidekick, but it is especially true in this MU. Ness has an incredibly hard time dealing with Luma. All of Ness's aerials doesn't knock away Luma until Luma is at low enough health and Ness's aerials are extremely important, PK Thunder gets absorbed by Magnet, and PK Fire just straight up misses Luma unless its in the air.

So what knocks Luma away? His Aerials when Luma has less than half its health, PK Thunder, Smashes, and Dash Attack. PK Thunder is unreliable because Rosalina can absorb it, Smashes require hard read or puts you in a long frame duration(Down Smash can miss too), and Dash attacks sends Luma straight up, and you need the Luma to go off the stage instead. So in other words, Ness can't really get rid of Luma without putting tons of effort while many other characters can get rid of Luma much more reliably such as Mario, Sonic, Lucas, and Captain Falcon's dash attack.

Whats even worse, Ness has an INCREDIBLY hard time landing vs Rosalina and Luma, especially on platform stages like Battlefield and Dreamland. Because Ness is really floaty, Rosalina can Up Smash or Up Air Ness for days. Many times I have lost 40-100% because I wasn't able to land and the Rosalina was predicting my landing correctly. Ness just can't really do much about it besides either grab the edge, or outpredict her. Grabbing the edge is risky because if Rosalina and Luma knocks you away before grabbing the edge, say goodbye to your stock. Rosalinas, i am telling you, abuse Ness's bad landing options.

In the Neutral game, Ness basically just has to punish while Rosalina can just dance on him all day. PK Fire is almost useless in this MU as Rosalina's Run and Dash Attack goes over that move. PK Thunder, an important juggling tool, is useless against Rosalina as she can just Gravitational Pull it. Ness's aerials, although one of the best aerials in the game, have short range aside from Fair, which does only 8% and staling just makes that aerial worse. Ness's Fair and Uair beats Rosalina's Nair, but loses to her Back Air, and maybe Fair iirc unless spaced perfectly. Rosalina's aerials have great Range where as Ness's does not have the best range. What makes this worse is Rosalina is one of the hardest characters to grab, and Ness's momentum comes from grabs(although he does not rely on this and Ness mains can do fine without it). Regardless, this almost invalidates a kill option unless the Rosalina just screws up horribly. Even if Ness gets the grab, he can only UThrow, Fthrow, or BThrow because Luma makes Down Throw combos impossible. Rosa's needs to get Ness in the air to make the MU much more easier.

Now to the infamous gimps. Rosalina gimps Ness hilariously easy. Tbh, I don't even think she needs Gravitational Pull to gimp Ness as her Down Air is extremely disjointed and would gimp Ness regardless. Gravitational Pull just makes it effortless and easy to do. Basically, if Ness has to recover with PK Thunder, Ness is dead unless the Rosalina didn't feel like going out there. What the Ness can do is recover early and high or recover far enough away to grab the edge from that point as Ness has invincibility during part of the duration of PK Thunder. If you recover high with PK Thunder, you will probably eat an Up Air, Forward Smash, Up Smash, or Down Smash(The most optimal punish imo as it sets you up for a gimp). Lets just say that Ness almost has no hope in recovering if he used his second jump.

After reading all of this, you are probably wondering I haven't really given advantages to Ness at all. That is because he really only has three. Edgeguarding and Strong Punish Game and speed in his moves. Those are the only two advantages he has in this MU. You may be laughing that Ness can edgeguard Rosalina, but definitely no harder than edgeguarding Pits. Rosalina does not have a hitbox aside a while after free fall as Luma can do something. Ness can do his normal edgeguarding tools except PK Thunder as Rosalina invalidates it. However, you can bait Rosalina into doing that and take a hard punish with Bair or Uair. If you are a Ness main and you are going to win this MU, you better edgeguard Rosalina as this is your only advantage. If you screw up the edgeguarding by edgeguarding with an aerial.... well... lets just say gg stock. And if Rosalina is on the edge trying to get back on, Ness can cover most of these options, but he has to commit to one of the other. Down Smash covers the Get Up, Attack, Jump off the stage, and Jump but fails to get the Roll unless it was used to early. Down Smash really only gets Get up and Attack in most cases and sometimes can get Jump and Jump off the stage if you are frame perfect. Also Rosalina has to recover low or Down Smash can end Rosalina's stock fairly early, but she also risks being stage spiked by Fair or Nair.

Now to Ness's Punishes. Ness, punishes SUPER hard. Rosalina may win the MU, but you better not screw up or Rosalina may lose a potential stock. This is especially true as Rosalina is the 5th Lightest character in the game. Rosalina can't afford being hit by PKT2 or a Tipper Bat as those hits like a truck and have amazing knockback. And even though it is hard to land, Back Throw can end Rosalina's stock earlier than most characters, so you definitely have to respect that. Also, you have to be reminded, all of Ness's aerials aside from Dair kills pretty early. Nair kills around 140% while Uair kills around 110%(And even earlier with rage!) Back Air kills stupidly early near the edge and Fair can kill and difficult to tech if using it to stage spike.

Ness does have speed in his moves, that is the last advantage he has in this MU, but Rosalina's huge hitboxes and disjointed hitboxes basically makes this part ineffective.

Well, this is all I have to say about MU. I may be extremely bias as I hate fighting her(I main her in every other game that features Rosalina because I love the character, and I would probably be a Rosalina main if it wasn't for Ness, but regardless, i still respect Rosalina mains) and generally do better with Mario, Lucas, and Lucina, my secondaries than I ever due with Ness, which is practically only true in the Rosalina MU and the Mega Man MU.

I was rating this a -3 for Ness, but I did take it as a -2 even though I still believe it is a -3.

So Outcome?

With Customs +2 in Rosalina's Favor
Without Customs +2 in Rosalina's Favor

Last edited:

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
I give this MU +1 customs on and customs off, despite what everyone thinks, this MU is not that bad for Ness and is very winnable.

:rosalina:Pros:
  • Luma
  • Disjointed aerials
  • Great at edge guarding
  • Great at juggling

Cons:
  • Huge target
  • Top 5 lightest character
  • Heavily dependent on Luma so killing it makes her worse
  • Recovery has no hit box
  • Great at being juggled
  • If you mess up you're probably going to die (although this can be said for many characters it is especially true for her since she has really light weight and Ness can kill her earlier than usual)
:4ness:Pros:
  • Disjointed aerials
  • Fast moves in general
  • Has a kill throw
  • Up air kills early
  • Tiny and has good weight
  • Good at edge guarding

Cons:
  • If he has no double jump he's really easy to kill off stage
  • Gets juggled really hard
If I missed anything on Ness let me know

Last edited:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
I give this MU +1 customs on and customs off, despite what everyone thinks, this MU is not that bad for Ness and is very winnable.

:rosalina:Pros:
  • Luma
  • Disjointed aerials
  • Great at edge guarding
  • Great at juggling

Cons:
  • Huge target
  • Top 5 lightest character
  • Heavily dependent on Luma so killing it makes her worse
  • Recovery has no hit box
  • Great at being juggled
  • If you mess up you're probably going to die (although this can be said for many characters it is especially true for her since she has really light weight and Ness can kill her earlier than usual)
  • Disjointed aerials
  • Fast moves in general
  • Has a kill throw
  • Up air kills early
  • Good at edge guarding

Cons:
If I missed anything on Ness let me know
  • Disjointed aerials
  • Fast moves in general
  • Has a kill throw
  • Strong Aerials
  • Good at edge guarding

Cons:
  • Short Range
  • Fairly slow in speed

Just fixed a few things on the Ness thing.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I said it in the other thread and Kodystri summed the MU extremely well.

+2 Rosalina customs on or off

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY : If you're going to continue to participate, please give good explanations for your score inputs. And remember to state if the score is for "default only" conditions, or if custom specials are involved.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
@ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY : If you're going to continue to participate, please give good explanations for your score inputs. And remember to state if the score is for "default only" conditions, or if custom specials are involved.
I think Kodystri summed it up well. I talked about it in the competitive character impression thread with luco. I fixed what you said though.

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
+1 With Customs
+1 Without Customs

Good Ness players will save their jumps and their fairs not only pushes luma away, but also can combo. Rosaluma still wins neutral though and still beats out Ness's recovery easily.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
+1 With Customs
+1 Without Customs

Good Ness players will save their jumps and their fairs not only pushes luma away, but also can combo. Rosaluma still wins neutral though and still beats out Ness's recovery easily.

Fair doesn't push Luma away until later percent.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So someting that @ Noa. Noa. suggested that he said was crazy but had the potential to work is to PKT2 into Luma on-stage. Apparently Rosa's punish especially at lower percents isn't that bad and it's worth it to get rid of Luma. He might be able to explain more, and it's just something that stuck in my mind when he was talking about it recently. :p

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
So someting that @ Noa. Noa. suggested that he said was crazy but had the potential to work is to PKT2 into Luma on-stage. Apparently Rosa's punish especially at lower percents isn't that bad and it's worth it to get rid of Luma. He might be able to explain more, and it's just something that stuck in my mind when he was talking about it recently. :p
Except its really telegraphed and Rosa has Gravitational Pull, please also keep in mind that a good Rosalina will protect Luma and won't make it easy for you to kill it :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Except its really telegraphed and Rosa has Gravitational Pull, please also keep in mind that a good Rosalina will protect Luma and won't make it easy for you to kill it :p
It's probably more of a 'lol what am I even doing?' thing. Though I think onstage if Rosa used it she'd be covered in end-lag which would be punishable if Ness used it on the ground. Having Luma being hard to hit is probably an option though. It was just a crazy thought. :grin:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
For the Rosalina and Ness MU, lets begin.

:rosalina:: She destroys Ness off-stage thanks to her gravitational pull, down air, and back air. Its really hard to get back on stage since Rosalina can take away his PK thunder with GP if he's recovers below the ledge or try to reach to him on time without getting hit once he connect it. There's the back air in case if he use double jump and see a chance to stage spike(if he doesn't tech). Then the down air; Not only can she spike him down with it(if he hasn't use his double jump to survive), but also if you hit with luma's hitbox, then it's a stock for Ness if he uses his double jump.
Since Ness is floaty, he has a hard time landing thanks to Rosalina's up-air, up smash, and up-tile; So avoid being above her or else, she will eat you with one of these attacks, especially up-air because she can use that to juggle Ness and even get a early kill with enough damage to sent him off screen.
Rosalina's ground moveset can give Ness a hard time as long as luma is with her. Forward tile and down tile can out-range Ness even without Luma. Gravitational pull takes away Ness's PK fire set ups for a grab. With Ness's short ranged grab and Luma around, it ain't easy to grab Rosalina with her jabs and tiles on her side. Her smashes are better than Ness's because she can kill with her up and forward smashes while Ness's can't and his bat is slow and easy to punished.

:4ness:: Since Rosalina is one of the lighting characters in the game, she can die eariler by Ness's back throw, up air, back air, and forward smash. While Rosalina's edgeguarding game is stronger, Ness can gimp her recovery since she doesn't have a hitbox, staring with back air and forward air for a stage spike. While Pk thunder is not 60% useful against Rosalina because of GP, it can be used to bait a punish due to endlag on her GP. He has the mobility in the air to juggle her with u-air since she also has a hard time landing because of her tall frame, being light weight, and floaty. He doesn't have the best ways to knock out luma early like most of the cast, but he has forward smash, down smash(I think), and back air.

Avoid Battlefield and Dreamland against Rosalina because there are her favourable stages and she can use platforms to give Ness a hard time getting to the ground thanks to her up-tile, n-air, up smash, up air, up smash, and being tall.

Not much on Customs, but Rosalina's one-shoot star and teleport luma can increase her use of edgeguarding and with the one-shot star, you can use it as a projectile against Ness since it's fast, good to bait rolls and air dodges, and he can't heal against it too with his down special.

This MU is 2+ for :rosalina: and I consider this as one of Ness's one wrost MUs; Customs, same as well. While Ness has the mobility to keep up with Rosalina and kill options to take her out early with back throw and forward smash(for a read), Her edgeguarding game, ground game, and luma on her side, can hurt Ness even more than he can if he doesn't get rid of luma to make it easier for himself and avoid offstage against her. Ness will have to do his best to get luma off stage if he can to rush down Rosalina and try to juggle her as much as he can; Otherwise, with luma around, he'll have to deal with her range and the star which will be the death of him.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
For the Rosalina and Ness MU, lets begin.

:rosalina:: She destroys Ness off-stage thanks to her gravitational pull, down air, and back air. Its really hard to get back on stage since Rosalina can take away his PK thunder with GP if he's recovers below the ledge or try to reach to him on time without getting hit once he connect it. There's the back air in case if he use double jump and see a chance to stage spike(if he doesn't tech). Then the down air; Not only can she spike him down with it(if he hasn't use his double jump to survive), but also if you hit with luma's hitbox, then it's a stock for Ness if he uses his double jump.
Since Ness is floaty, he has a hard time landing thanks to Rosalina's up-air, up smash, and up-tile; So avoid being above her or else, she will eat you with one of these attacks, especially up-air because she can use that to juggle Ness and even get a early kill with enough damage to sent him off screen.
Rosalina's ground moveset can give Ness a hard time as long as luma is with her. Forward tile and down tile can out-range Ness even without Luma. Gravitational pull takes away Ness's PK fire set ups for a grab. With Ness's short ranged grab and Luma around, it ain't easy to grab Rosalina with her jabs and tiles on her side. Her smashes are better than Ness's because she can kill with her up and forward smashes while Ness's can't and his bat is slow and easy to punished.

:4ness:: Since Rosalina is one of the lighting characters in the game, she can die eariler by Ness's back throw, up air, back air, and forward smash. While Rosalina's edgeguarding game is stronger, Ness can gimp her recovery since she doesn't have a hitbox, staring with back air and forward air for a stage spike. While Pk thunder is not 60% useful against Rosalina because of GP, it can be used to bait a punish due to endlag on her GP. He has the mobility in the air to juggle her with u-air since she also has a hard time landing because of her tall frame, being light weight, and floaty. He doesn't have the best ways to knock out luma early like most of the cast, but he has forward smash, down smash(I think), and back air.

Avoid Battlefield and Dreamland against Rosalina because there are her favourable stages and she can use platforms to give Ness a hard time getting to the ground thanks to her up-tile, n-air, up smash, up air, up smash, and being tall.

Not much on Customs, but Rosalina's one-shoot star and teleport luma can increase her use of edgeguarding and with the one-shot star, you can use it as a projectile against Ness since it's fast, good to bait rolls and air dodges, and he can't heal against it too with his down special.

This MU is 2+ for :rosalina: and I consider this as one of Ness's one wrost MUs; Customs, same as well. While Ness has the mobility to keep up with Rosalina and kill options to take her out early with back throw and forward smash(for a read), Her edgeguarding game, ground game, and luma on her side, can hurt Ness even more than he can if he doesn't get rid of luma to make it easier for himself and avoid offstage against her. Ness will have to do his best to get luma off stage if he can to rush down Rosalina and try to juggle her as much as he can; Otherwise, with luma around, he'll have to deal with her range and the star which will be the death of him.
Actually Ness can heal from Shooting Star Bit(Just not the default one)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh ok. I forgot it was energy and it's not like boomerangs.
Just keep note that the standard Star Bits are not treated as projectiles; they can't be absorbed or reflected. Floaty Star Bit and Shooting Star Bit are classified as projectiles, however, so in a customs match, Ness can use PSI Magnet to absorb them.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Just keep note that the standard Star Bits are not treated as projectiles; they can't be absorbed or reflected. Floaty Star Bit and Shooting Star Bit are classified as projectiles, however, so in a customs match, Ness can use PSI Magnet to absorb them.
Ok, I'll keep that in mind if facing Ness and maybe use it to bait for a grab if possible.

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Yeah Magnet is very hard to punish unless Ness is standing right next to you.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Good luck with magnet end lag and magnet cancel. >:D
Now you got me curious with magnet cancel. How do you cancel it? I also play with Ness along with Rosalina.

Yeah Magnet is very hard to punish unless Ness is standing right next to you.
Because of magnet cancel? Well, dash grab or attack is better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
Because of magnet cancel? Well, dash grab or attack is better than nothing.
The end lag and it has virtually no end lag if you magnet cancel it. So you are not punishing it unless you don't use it and Ness is right beside you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
As soon as you absorb something with Ness, like literally as soon as it comes into contact with the magnet, press down, up or back to spot-dodge, jump or backwards roll respectively, cancelling the magnet immediately. It's really handy. :D

Kodystri

NNID
Kodystri
As soon as you absorb something with Ness, like literally as soon as it comes into contact with the magnet, press down, up or back to spot-dodge, jump or backwards roll respectively, cancelling the magnet immediately. It's really handy. :D

Dont forgot you can do an Up Smash too(not like that will help lol)

Noa.

Smash Master
All right so I think this matchup is +2 in Rosa's favor. I do sometimes consider +1 for Rosa cause it's not that awful, but it is solidly in Rosa's favor. I do play this matchup a lot and I feel like the matchup is perfectly winnable at a mid and low level. Perhaps at a top player level it may not be winnable as shown by Dabuz against Fow and Shaky. Not sure about that though because I don't think either of them played the matchup that amazingly and Dabuz has historically been a stronger player than the both of them.

Rosa wins in neutral but it's not that bad for Ness. Dash attack outranges a lot of Rosa's moveset and will pop Luma into the air which allows some time away from Luma for a bit. Dash grab doesn't really work well against Rosa at all unless the Ness player has conditioned her to shield as he's dashing to her.

Short hops are a very poor option to approach Rosalina because Ness can't make it pass Luma. Most of Rosa's smashes will stuff any approach Ness makes with a short hop.

Full hopping with Ness isn't too bad. If she tries to dsmash or jab Ness as he's falling down in between Rosa and Luma then he can just nair her head. If she shields his landing he can land an grab her. Usmash is the strongest option that Rosa has against a Ness that full hops against her. It will stuff both an empty landing and a landing aerial. Rosa's usmash is like the worst part of the matchup for Ness imo. It really limits his options when he's trying to land. When approaching with a full hop the only option Ness has against Rosa's usmash is to just bait it out from her and then try to land just outside of those hitboxes and then punish the end lag of it with a dash attack or dash grab.

PK fire can hit Luma if she's really low. That usually happens when she's doing ditlt, dsmash, or jab. It hits pretty inconsistently though and is difficult to rely on. When pk fire activates on Luma it won't be much of a hassle for Rosa herself but it can quickly rack up damage on Luma. Ness generally speaking doesn't have too much trouble with killing Luma because his aerials have huge hitboxes so when he lands them they more often than not end up hitting both Rosa and Luma. Ness also has a pretty high damage on hit as well. Rosa usually has a pretty easy time just jumping out of Pk fire because of her floatiness.

Ness's dash attack is incredibly important in this matchup for catching Rosa's landing and having Luma temporarily out of the way.

In the neutral Ness can poke at and damage Luma with aerials and with really good spacing and a double jump it can be difficult for Rosa to punish him for doing that.

So yeah Rosa does do better than Ness in Neutral but it isn't too awful for him.

The real pain is disadvantage for Ness. It is super awful and he gets wrecked by Rosa in this state. It's the reason way it's so awful for Ness. Landing is so very hard for Ness because of Uair, Usmash, and Dash attack. To get out of uair juggles from other characters Ness usually air dodges past them and tries to hit his opponent with a nair or uair. But Rosa's uair with Luma has such a huge hitbox that he can't airdodge past it.

Usmash as I have mentioned before just powers through any of Ness's aerials and will destroy Ness if he tries to land with an airdodge or empty landing. This is especially true if Luma is still alive.

If Ness just tries to drift away from Rosa, she can just dash attack his landing and if Luma is there, his aerials will not win.

If luma is alive his only option is to retreat to ledge, and Ness still has a hard time getting onstage between Rosa's smashes, grab, and jab.

If Ness is ever forced to use pk thunder offstage he's dead. With a hard read if you knock him offstage without a double jump he's dead.

Ness can exploit Rosa's recovery with smart use of pk thunder and his aerials, but this edgeguarding requires a lot of matchup experience on Ness's part. If Ness makes one small mistake while edgeguarding he's dead though.

The margin of error is really small for Ness in this matchup. He has to play very well all the time. He also cannot press his advantage too strongly. He has to play really cautiously at all times. Often times ness mains play way too aggressively and risky and you just cannot do that against Rosa.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ness is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Saturns [FM]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
In addition to the offstage problems and short range Ness has, he also has a lackluster approach game. Rosalina seems like the type of character with an ability to force an approach using luma. The neutral, imo can be very hard depending on how defensive the Rosalina plays. I see this as much of a problem as GP, leading me to believe +2 in Rosalina's favor.

Top Bottom