• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Samus

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Samus

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Samus match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Samus. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 7/26/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4samus:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1.5
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +3
Default only
Gijsbeer: +1 - +2
Kaishin: +1 - +2

Default + Custom
Kaishin: +3

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
The more I play the more I hate this matchup.
In basic terms as the Samus metagame has progressed, Samus is a heavy combo and tech chase character with low priority. She thrives when she can land large chunks of damage in quick succession, but she has to get one of her starters in the first place.
Rosalina is a light, anti-combo, floaty anti-tech chase, anti-projectile, high priority character.
It means as a Samus main I have to radically alter my playstyle, never aiming for a trade because of Rosa's insane disjoints (with or without luma). I spend half the match ticking away Rosa with z-air and knocking luma off the stage (which Samus can do with most of her moves). It's definitely not impossible, even vs. a good Rosaluma, but I definitely give the matchup advantage to Rosa. Other Samus mains I know feel less strongly about the matchup but I'll let them speak for themselves.
I don't consider Rosa a balanced character. The hitboxes, disjoints and kill power are simply too strong and need to be toned down in a significant way. I actually play Rosa not infrequently, my 4th most played character, so I'm not a Rosa hater. But I do hate the Samus - Rosa matchup it's an ugly, un-memorable fight which more often than not ends with "well I tried to challenge X with Y and Rosa just won for no good reason" where X is pretty much any Rosa move and Y is pretty much any Samus move.

I don't play customs but Rosa's customs are very strong and Rosa invalidates Samus's best customs in the relentless missile.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Not much to say. Besides the fact that rosa has a projectile absorbing move, she also has luma to soak hits so even otherwise frame guaranteed (I catch you on the endlag of an ability) projectiles are not even 50/50. Rosalina, while has more endlag, also has significantly longer range and is totally safe in the matchup if properly spaced at all angles omitting zair which is a maximum 4% (1% pass through with 3% tip) move that if missed leaves samus open for whatever rosa wants to do. Even if I win game one (a pretty big if,) I would rather play a secondary than a second game of this matchup.

Kaishin

Smash Apprentice
Samus is floaty enough and has a nice get away attack in her down b to avoid combos and in general avoid vertical kill setups. Have to kill Samus with raw uair or usmash outside of punishes. Not a bad option at all but its our only one since tether characters are very difficult to gimp. Gravity pulling missiles give Samus stage control as well. Because the burden of approaching is on Rosalina, unlike when fighting Falcon and Dorf, we can't simply hold down to parry Samus's DA.

I don't need to list all of the advantages that Rosalina has but this is still doable thanks to some amazing options by Samus.

One thing I do need to note is that Samus's primary kill move, her charge shot, will almost never get past the luma (happened once in a corner case, otherwise I would say never). With that gone the mindgames go with it, and that is a huge hit for Samus. Samus can, however, shorthop to lob it over the luma for a headshot (Lylat could be good for multiple angles).

In general and on average, Samus players are some of the most creative as well as simply skilled smashers. They are good enough to make this +1 to +2 for us instead of a straight up +2. This is, however, without customs.

This matchup is absolutely awful with customs. All of Samus's camping gets traded for the burden of approaching and that's really all she had. I don't know what Samus's customs are but I'm sure it doesn't matter. +3 for us with customs.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
In general and on average, Samus players are some of the most creative as well as simply skilled smashers. They are good enough to make this +1 to +2 for us instead of a straight up +2. This is, however, without customs.
Reading this made me feel all warm and fuzzy. But yea, I have to agree for now. However I only played like 2 Rosalinas ever in FG, both times losing I think but I can't remember, I do remember one of them matches was close but no dice. Given her toolkit, and Samus burglarized toolkit ( read some of the topics on any of Samus' smashes or just skim through the thread you'll see the rage frothing forth) its an easy call. I'm just lucky I'm not meeting more Rosalinas out there, Yoshi is giving me enough vein throbbing rage as is.

Last edited:

Emerlad_Element

Smash Cadet
NNID
EmeraldElementLP
3DS FC
2767-1123-2046
In the newest patch one of Samus' customs was buffed. Her worst custom, Melee Charge shot. It deals quite a bit of damage and knockback, has a hitbox that is deceptively larger then it looks and when used at the proper distance can hit both Rosalina and Luma. It could also be used in conjunction with combos and we can go real deep with it since it pushes Samus back quite a bit. (Similar to Mewtwo's Shadow Ball in midair). I don't know if this really changes things as Samus is still forced to approach and all that but perhaps this change could bring the match up to a +2.5 rather then a +3. This is with minimal testing on my end so take this with a grain of salt.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Samus is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Samus Pros vs. Rosalina:

- Dash Attack > FJ N-Air > Luma falls offstage.
- U-Smash kills Rosalina at around ~95% on FD with perfect DI, with 60% Rage it kills at ~87% (perfect DI) and with 100% Rage it kills at ~78% (perfect DI). Samus's U-Smash is never staled because it's not a neutral- or a required Combo Move so these numbers are the norm in a Match.
- OoS U-Smash comes out at Frame 11 which punishes Rosalina's Dash Attack and other options very effectively. It also never whiffs against Rosalina's huge hurtbox. A very good early killconfirm punish.
- SH CS flys over Luma and hits Rosalina
- Rosalina has to approach, every match up where Samus doesn't have to approach is a good match up for Samus.
- Rosalina's Recovery is predictable, spiking or N-Air offstage for killconfirms.
- Samus doesn't rely on grabs, so Luma won't defend Rosalina much against Samus's approach game.
- SH N-Air & perfect framed RAR SH B-Air connects on Rosalina's big hurtbox, these moves send her offstage very early. B-Air can also kill very early.
- Frame Perfect SH U-Air fully connects on standing Rosalina, that's something no other Samus player did on previous Tournaments, and it's a big deal. Gamechanging for many Match Ups, and Rosalina is one of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEC6rkLYV-c

Samus Cons vs. Rosalina:
- Rosalina's D-Air beats Samus's U-Air & Up B
- Rosalina can Down B all of Samus's Projectiles
- Bad Landing Options against Rosalina (U-Air beats everything)
- Luma protects Rosalina against projectiles if Samus does shoot on the ground.

Rosalina & Luigi are the best high tier Match Ups for Samus. (Maybe Bayonetta also, but it's too early to tell, but what I can already tell is that Bayonettas BnB Combos won't connect against Samus even at 25% if Samus holds the Analogstick upwards while being hit. She's also tall and light, good for early OoS U-Smash kills)

For Customs:
Melee CS got buffed huge in 1.1.3, it can kill Rosalina near the ledge at under ~70% with perfect DI and without Rage. With Rage it can even kill her at ~40%. Melee CS can't be absorbed and Luma can't defend it.

Last edited:

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
I think this MU is absolutely abysmal for samus. Down B makes all our projectiles borderline useless against any competent rosa. But the biggest problem is that samus has no landing options, and Rosaluma's up air is absolutly bonkers. I agree that this MU isnt as terrible as other top tiers like sheik or pikachu. Ziar is really good versus rosa, samus is great ofstage and can stay there for extended durations due to her floatiness which helps edgegaurding rosa's hitboxless recovery. For me this MU is extremely unfun because our projectiles are neutralised, and Rosa's aerials beat all our aerials. But in terms of viability this MU is more doable than the other top tiers. Id say 35/65 in favor of rosa

Top Bottom