• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - PAC-MAN

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - PAC-MAN

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. PAC-MAN match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against PAC-MAN. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 3/13/2016
Special Moves Allowed| | :4pacman:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +2
Default only
BSP: ±0 - +1
Karinole: +1
PEPESPAIN: +1

Default + Custom
Amazing Ampharos: +2

BSP

Smash Legend
So, about this "Discussions 'have' to be from Rosalina's perspective"...I can't do that well since I don't play the character, but I'll try.

Anyway, this MU has come a long way, and I still think 90% of the general public doesn't have a real clue about how this MU should work. Pac-Man doesn't get ROFL'stomped and can give Rosalina some serious trouble if she's not prepared (the MU isn't as easy as lol Grav Pull)

I'll discuss what I think about Neutral for Rosa, Advantage for her, and disadvantage for her. Keep in mind this is coming from a campy Pac-Man perspective whose primary win condition in this MU is timing Rosalina out. Other Pac-Men may try to be more aggressive, but I prefer trying to force her to come to me.

Neutral:

I think Pac-Man wins neutral unless Rosalina rushes him down. The main reason for this is Pac-Man's hydrant and his power pellet. Should Rosalina choose to not rush him down, Pac-Man can continuously launch hydrants at the duo with his Fair and follow them closely.

If Rosalina Grav pulls the hydrant, Pac-Man can heal himself for 2% (big deal in timeout scenario) and the situation resets. If Rosalina / Luma attacks the hydrant to cancel it out, that gives Pac-Man lag to punish. If Rosalina / Luma jump high over the hydrant (best option IMO), they are in a positional disadvantage, but that's about it. If the duo does anything else, the hydrant will eventually KO Luma. I don't think Rosalina wants to take positional disadvantages or have Luma dying all match, so I would recommend staying somewhat close to Pac-Man to not give him the leisure to set up what he wants.

When Rosalina is approaching Pac-Man, she has the advantage. Her moveset outranges his on the ground pretty solidly, and Pac-Man should only be winning direct confrontations if he's right in Rosalina's face (jab is faster than her buttons, and trampoline is much faster + unblockable).

If and when Pac-Man has a trampoline set, it's a bit more difficult for Rosalina to approach since she's coming in from the air. However, she still has a massive range advantage due to halos and galaxies. In my experience, Pac-Man's Bair is his only aerial worth going for to contest her jump-ins. With his general lack of disjoints, I find myself getting smacked by Luma quite a bit unless I go for a horizontal challenge with Bair.

Outside of his Fair launched hydrants, Pac-Man has difficulty in approach Rosalina too for the same reasons. She has a solid range advantage while GP negates typical fruit cover that Pac-Man can use to aid his approach.

Do not send Luma out to pressure Pac-Man. He can use his Dair to combo Luma off of the stage very easily regardless of how much damage Luma has taken prior.

Summary: keep pressure on him.

Rosalina Advantage:

Pac-Man is one of the few characters that has something Rosalina needs to worry about when pursuing him for Uair juggles. His hydrant will drop right through Rosalina's Uair and hit her. She can space around this somewhat, but it does stop her from juggling Pac-Man for free like most characters. She can GP the hydrant as well, but Pac-Man can drop another one near instantly right after she does or potentially heal himself off of the GP.

Rosalina's edgeguards are pretty brutal. GP will pull Pac-Man's pellet off course, leaving him pretty screwed if he was banking on it for recovery. Other than that, he has to deal with the usual business of Luma and Rosalina's disjoints. If Pac-Man has his back to the duo and uses power pellet super early or doesn't rely on it all, he should be able to make it back to the stage most of the time. As long as his trampoline has a bounce left, he is meteor proof, so he's pretty safe once he gets under the ledge.

Pac-Man also has a response to Luma jab at ledge + Rosalina jab at ledge roll distance away. He can let go of the ledge and charge to a piercing fruit (Galaxian and up) to subsequently throw at the duo to stop the combination. I don't think Luma's jab will hit Pac-Man's while he's hanging on the ledge, but I'm not 100% certain.

Rosalina has the KO power advantage in Luma, Fsmash, and Usmash no question. Neither of them KO off of throws that well.

If you catch Pac-Man's Fruit, hold it if you want to run the clock, or use it against him if you don't feel like doing that. Pac-Man shouldn't be throwing fruit willy nilly since GP gives Rosalina an easy pickup. However, he circumvents this by throwing fruit from his hand. GP will still stop it, but Rosalina won't be able to pick it up. Another reason not to let Pac-Man set up.

Rosalina Disadvantage:

Pac-Man can kinda chase her in the air, but Rosalina is pretty fast and still wins in terms of range. Of course, if she throws out an aerial with the intention of trading and Pac-Man shields instead, she's most likely getting punished. Pac-Man's best bet IMO is to come at Rosalina in a horizontal fashion and use Bair / Fair for solid hits or combo attempts, so try to stay above him or have your back to him so you can contest him with Rosalina's superior range.

Pac-Man can set up some silly traps on the ledge when Rosalina is recovering. Any time Rosalina grabs the ledge and Pac-Man has his hydrant available, he can immediately KO Luma by dropping it on it. In addition to that, with a tumbling hydrant and trampoline set, Pac-Man can set up unblockable ledge traps that get you hit no matter which ledge option you chose, with letting go leading to Pac-Man hitting you when you grab the ledge again. I'd recommend trying to GP any hydrants he's trying to set up before grabbing a ledge, but that also means you've given him an easy way to dispose of Luma. Your choice. Alternatively, Rosalina can recover high to avoid the mixups altogether, but this is very risky if Pac-Man has a Key stocked.

Rosalina Disadvantage, Luma dead:

Pac-Man is unique in the regard that his trampoline will pull any character out of defensive options such as spotdodging and rolling. This means he is actually quite effective at putting % on Rosalina when Luma is dead and she's grounded, since the usual response is to play keepaway. So don't sit in shield or roll a lot if you're trying to wait the respawn out.

Speaking of waiting the respawn out, I wouldn't recommend it for Rosalina. Although not having Luma is a huge blow to her offensive potential, giving Pac-Man time to get an optimal setup is pretty deadly too. If you sit back and wait for Luma, Pac-Man can get a Key in his hand. This will let him continuously launch hydrants at quick intervals, have an amazing OoS option that KOs, and prevent the Key from being picked up once it is thrown.

Overall Summary for a timeout Pac-Man:

Rosalina wins slightly because of her general range advantage and easier time landing a KO because of said range and raw KO power with Luma. The stage list also favors her in this scenario because there are more than enough stages that aid her in running away in retaliation. That being said, Pac-Man with a lead and setup time is very dangerous, so be careful. With the Rosalina board's number system, I'd give her a +1. Personally I'd say 60:40, and that's only because of the stage list. If FD was the only stage, I'd call it dead even.

I haven't played the MU in customs, but it would get a bit more interesting. Pac-Man's On Fire Hydrant would pose a significant threat to Luma, as its flames KO it rather early. This means that to have any semblance of a ground game, Rosalina would need to GP it immediately. However, that leaves Pac-Man at liberty to spam it and heal off of the GP.

I couldn't be bothered to unlock Luma warp. It might help, but with On Fire out at all times, I would imagine it'd be pretty dangerous.

Oh, references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUnMr-A3IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRbbfU9UW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7RROJ3LM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7pbFeiCv0

The above are some online friendlies with Dabuz in a Bo5. It went 3-2 in his favor. Game 2 couldn't be saved for some reason, and I took that one. Something critical that I could not pull off is Pac-Man getting Keys in his hand should Rosalina choose to run away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrPUZ1PMhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpMWXOx8Xo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrfFwrgkZE

The above are some ranked matches from anther's ladder against Frozen.

Unfortunately, these are all online. If I start travelling and run into Rosalina at high profile tournaments on streams, I will kill this game.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
@ BSP BSP : When you say neutral, you mean that everyone is using their default specials only. Am I correct?
Yes and no. The bulk of what I wrote applies to default Rosalina vs. Default Pac-Man. I talked about customs at the very end. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the MU with them.

The "Neutral" in my 4th paragraph refers to the state of the game in which neither character is at an advantage or disadvantage for the most part. IE when the game first starts. Advantage to me means you have the opponent above you, grounded near you, grabbed, in a combo, in hitstun next to you, offstage, etc. Disadvantage to me means you are offstage, getting combo'd, are above your opponent because they forced you there, you're on the ground next to them, in hitstun next to them, etc. Oh, and in Rosalina's case, Luma is dead.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have two local Pac-Mans in my area, Brail and Shaka (but I don't think either are active on Smashboards). I've played this MU enough to have a pretty firm grasp on it.

It's true that it's not simply "lol Grav Pull", but at the same time, Grav Pull is pretty bad for Pac. Frankly if I use it in a reasonable way I can wait out your entire projectile game easily. Pac-Man really can't approach Rosalina if she is smart with her defense either; if you jump at me, everything you have is super easy to usmash, and on the ground, you just have no way past Luma. If I stand really far away you can set stuff up, but I'm going to just stand in mid-range and wait to see what you do. Most of Pac-Man's moveset is unsafe on block so if he ever loosens up and just starts swinging he's very easy to just block and punish for Rosa. None of Pac-Man's moves are really good Luma killers either other than the key, but I can grav pull that if I see it coming which gives it to me to use. If Luma is dead, my offensive presence is pretty bad but Pac-Man has no real way to pressure Rosa in this situation other than charging up fruit and setting stuff up with it. If I just hang back and wait, I can get Luma back easy every time.

The trampoline is really not going to stop me from doing this; it only hits close to Pac and ties up his movement to throw out. I'm running away while I wait for Luma, not just standing there. Run up grab is what most characters do to deal with this, but Pac-Man's mobility isn't especially high and even if it were he has a pretty awful grab that doesn't even lead to high damage if he does land it. I feel like going for trampoline to try to break my defenses in general isn't a bad idea, but Pac-Man eats a heavy punish if he's ever wrong when he hits trampoline so it's a very "sometimes" option that I don't think is something you rely on as a core repeatable tactic.

If I catch a fruit and have Luma, I'm going to go into super turtle mode of running away, spacing cleverly, and shooting star bits at you. As far as I can tell, Pac-Man has no way in on this situation that doesn't just accept that I'm going to hit him with whatever fruit I caught and then get an immediate good chase situation. A smart Pac won't let me just do that a lot since he'll be following behind his fruit to protect it and get pressure, but if you aren't smart or careful with when you throw the fruit, I'm going to make your life hell especially if I catch something like the weight or the key that you really don't want to get hit with. In general this also adds a huge layer of risk to your end; in most MUs I can't do anything to my opponent as temporarily debilitating as they can to me by killing Luma, but I feel like catching the fruit cripples Pac-Man in the same way. If I have a large lead with your fruit in hand (like a full stock lead), you just lose as I'm going to time you out, but if it's close, you can at least force me to hit you with it (and hence give it up).

I really just don't see how the healing gimmick could possibly work out for Pac-Man. The locals here don't try it, and from what I've toyed with, it seems hopelessly non-viable in every MU. It's just so slow and committed for so little healing; if you get dash attacked even half of the time you go for it, you come out way behind.

The hydrant really does nothing for Pac-Man as a grounded spatial control tool in this MU, but it sure does help him get out of juggles. If I don't have Luma, I can't easily send the hydrant flying so that's something to keep in mind as well (but with Luma it's really easy); without Luma I'll mostly be grav pulling it. The local Pacs only use default Pac for some reason, but I suspect that On-Fire Hydrant would actually be kinda helpful since being pushed with water means nothing to me (remember, I'm making you come to me unless you do something committed that I can punish; that water is zoning you out more than anything) while the flames could disrupt Luma.

Neither character really kills the other quickly. Pac-Man's kill moves are underwhelming in the first place, and Pac-Man is getting camped in this MU so his opportunities are sparse anyway. Rosalina is camping so she's not getting as many set-ups as she does otherwise, and even when she has chases, Pac-Man has good escapes. If Rosa makes a sloppy mistake with flying hydrants or keys, she can die early, but a good Rosa shouldn't really let that happen. Pac will only really die early if Rosa makes a really solid read or catches him off-stage, but Pac should be expected to play well enough to make this a rare occurrence. Rosa will be doing damage at a higher rate since her defensive game is superior, but regardless, this MU will be pushing the timer basically every time it happens.

If Pac-Man takes the first stock, things flip around a bit and he starts the camp game himself. Rosa can approach him realistically (lots of walk up jab/tilt that Pac has poor punishes for), but I feel when she "has to" approach it's actually to his favor since he has lots of garbage to put in the way and slow her down. Just sitting right behind the hydrant when you have a stock lead makes Rosa's life hard, but it's not really an effective tactic at any time you don't have the stock lead.

I only play with customs so here's about what Rosa's mean here. SSB isn't quite as good as it seems at first; I do outcamp Pac regardless, but if I SSB him across the stage, he holds the fruit up, gets hit so it will drop to his feet, and picks it up which actually helps him out a fair bit. I'm still going to use lots of SSB when I'm free to do so, but I have to do so ready to deal with Pac-Man picking up fruit which does limit me somewhat. The best thing SSB does for me is prevent Pac-Man from charging fruit in recovery situations; Shaka in particular is always charging up Bonus Fruit off-stage, and I like to use SSB to hit him out of that and prevent him from getting the high level fruits without spending the time on-stage where I can pressure him for doing so. Luma Warp doesn't really do a lot of note for Rosa here; it's always a better move than the garbage default, but it's nothing special vs Pac-Man.

As per stages, I strongly feel that Lylat Cruise is really good for Pac-Man here. His gameplan seems completely unimpeded by slopes while Rosa is a bit awkward on them, and this often creates situations where he can slip past Luma far easier than he "deserves" to (he also gets some really interesting set-ups with the variable apple bounce timing here if he's prepared to use it correctly). If the Rosa bans Lylat, Pac-Man mostly just wants to avoid platforms; Rosa uses these to enhance her defensive game while he gets little from them. Stages like FD and Duck Hunt are good picks for the Pac in this MU while you definitely want to avoid BF or DL64.

Overall I feel this is something like 7-3 Rosa if not even better. Pac-Man loses the slow game and has poor approach options against Rosalina's top tier defenses. He has a few good things he can go for, but the basic fundamental stuff all just goes Rosa's way pretty hard.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Rosalina +1 over ol' pac. This is gathered from the times I've played against him in my region and some labbing I've done.

Common misconception, and really a misconception with rosa against any projectile character, is that this MU is that you just have to spam Grav-pull and pac-man just gets shut down. This is certainly not the case as reacting to stuff like the key with the pull can be difficult and just because you have a projectile counter doesn't mean the character still doesn't have tons of other stuff to hit you with. That being said gravitational pull is really fricking good. The fact that she has a straight up answer to the hydrant is HUGE and utilizing his own fruit against him can be very useful.

Also, his approaches on her are not too great, as a lot of his neutral can be beat by luma and he really doesn't have a quick "kill luma" move. So because of this the matchup tends to slow down and pac-man has to pick his spots carefully while rosa can still pressure but usually won't because it's better to stay reactive.

Even with these advantages it's still imperative to remain on top of what's happening on screen becausse pac-man still has tons of tools in his arsenal to get through her wall and his smashes are able to kill her at around 80%. Because of this I think Rosa has a prettyy clear aadvantage (probably around 7-3) but pac still can win. Same for with customs.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I literally never play the "default" game, but I don't think it would in theory change the MU. I'm always presuming people will use customs.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I hope you know that Pac-Man's dair puts Luma into tumble. That's the "kill luma" option you're looking for.

Also @Dabuz please explain to these people how the pellet healing technique works and that your matches with BSP helped you to learn the matchup better.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's not just about putting Luma into tumble; you have to physically move Luma horizontal distance which Pac-Man's dair isn't going to do. Even if you hit Luma, if you get punished for going for dair against Rosalina, it's probably not worth it since you probably don't actually seal the deal and get the kill.

BSP

Smash Legend
I have two local Pac-Mans in my area, Brail and Shaka (but I don't think either are active on Smashboards). I've played this MU enough to have a pretty firm grasp on it.
Are there any videos of these two out there?

It's true that it's not simply "lol Grav Pull", but at the same time, Grav Pull is pretty bad for Pac. Frankly if I use it in a reasonable way I can wait out your entire projectile game easily.
I agree that Pac-Man can't throw Fruit as liberally as he wants, but that's about it. He can't throw Fruit like an idiot. Hydrants are fair game if you insist on sitting back, and Pac-Man benefits if you keep GP'ing them.

Pac-Man really can't approach Rosalina if she is smart with her defense either; if you jump at me, everything you have is super easy to usmash, and on the ground, you just have no way past Luma.
He doesn't have to approach in neutral. Even when he's down on %, Pac-Man has no reason to rush his approach if you're not choosing to come to him. If you're choosing not to come to him, he's got setups that he can do that aren't in your favor.

If I stand really far away you can set stuff up, but I'm going to just stand in mid-range and wait to see what you do. Most of Pac-Man's moveset is unsafe on block so if he ever loosens up and just starts swinging he's very easy to just block and punish for Rosa.
First, Pac-Man should have a trampoline between the both of you, narrowing what you choose to do if you decide to do something about him setting up. Your wording implies that you're comfortable with waiting his setups out, so here's what I would do if you're insisting on waiting.

1) I'm going to continuously Fair launch hydrants at you and see what you do. Every response you have except jumping very high over them is in my favor through either Luma taking damage / dying, you giving me lag to punish, me healing (which isn't slow at all, where are you getting that from?), or you jumping high into the air leaving yourself at a positional disadvantage.

2) I'm going to get a Key in my hand, instant launch a hydrant at you and follow behind it. Like #1, every response you have is in my favor, except this time I'm going to remain close enough to you to punish GP by running up and using trampoline. Now you're playing neutral with a Key that you can't regrab and me close enough to punish GP if you use it.

None of Pac-Man's moves are really good Luma killers either other than the key, but I can grav pull that if I see it coming which gives it to me to use. If Luma is dead, my offensive presence is pretty bad but Pac-Man has no real way to pressure Rosa in this situation other than charging up fruit and setting stuff up with it. If I just hang back and wait, I can get Luma back easy every time.
Dair puts Luma into tumble at any % and depending on where Pac-Man hits Luma the first time, it takes 1-2 Dairs to KO it. If Rosalina grabs the ledge and Pac-Man has hydrant available, it will instant KO Luma.

If you're sitting back this entire time, I've said that Pac-Man will get Keys in his hand. You can GP them, but you can't pick them up + Pac-Man will be close enough to punish your GP.

If Luma is dead, Pac-Man can do the same thing he should doing normally in neutral, and the same stuff still applies except for Luma dying. Assuming you're still sitting back, you're giving him free Keys in hand at his leisure. If Pac-Man bans SV, this is a bad idea for Rosalina.

The trampoline is really not going to stop me from doing this; it only hits close to Pac and ties up his movement to throw out. I'm running away while I wait for Luma, not just standing there. Run up grab is what most characters do to deal with this, but Pac-Man's mobility isn't especially high and even if it were he has a pretty awful grab that doesn't even lead to high damage if he does land it. I feel like going for trampoline to try to break my defenses in general isn't a bad idea, but Pac-Man eats a heavy punish if he's ever wrong when he hits trampoline so it's a very "sometimes" option that I don't think is something you rely on as a core repeatable tactic.
Assuming SV is banned, giving me free Keys in hand to chase you down with is a prospect I will take any day. If you're full focused on running away without Luma, there is no way you're punishing a whiffed trampoline, unless Pac-Man retreats to the same side you're on for some reason. If you do decide to go at him for whiffing a trampoline, you've got to deal with Key OoS since you're letting him get it for free.

If I catch a fruit and have Luma, I'm going to go into super turtle mode of running away, spacing cleverly, and shooting star bits at you. As far as I can tell, Pac-Man has no way in on this situation that doesn't just accept that I'm going to hit him with whatever fruit I caught and then get an immediate good chase situation. A smart Pac won't let me just do that a lot since he'll be following behind his fruit to protect it and get pressure, but if you aren't smart or careful with when you throw the fruit, I'm going to make your life hell especially if I catch something like the weight or the key that you really don't want to get hit with.
If you're playing defense as hard as you're implying, this situation will never happen because Pac-Man will always have fruits in his hand that can't be picked up once thrown.

If by some chance it does happen, you can't full screen star bit camp Pac-Man because he will pellet shield them and keep doing that for as long as you keep shooting. Otherwise, if this happened to me, I will keep launching hydrants at you and continue the same game. What I've said about neutral still applies even if Rosalina has the Fruit, and it's still in Pac-Man's favor assuming not SV.

Don't get me wrong, I will agree with you that Rosalina catching to fruit is a very bad situation for Pac-Man. However, it's not going to happen with the play you're describing.

In general this also adds a huge layer of risk to your end; in most MUs I can't do anything to my opponent as temporarily debilitating as they can to me by killing Luma, but I feel like catching the fruit cripples Pac-Man in the same way. If I have a large lead with your fruit in hand (like a full stock lead), you just lose as I'm going to time you out, but if it's close, you can at least force me to hit you with it (and hence give it up).
Covered right above this and it'll never happen if you're playing full defense.

I really just don't see how the healing gimmick could possibly work out for Pac-Man. The locals here don't try it, and from what I've toyed with, it seems hopelessly non-viable in every MU. It's just so slow and committed for so little healing; if you get dash attacked even half of the time you go for it, you come out way behind.
That's why this full defense strategy is working for you. Pellet healing off of GP is not slow at all and is crucial to making the 100% defense Rosalina strategy fall. Outside of Dabuz, who I couldn't perform my optimal counter play against due to wifi (johns lol) and running back to Smashville, Rosalina players have all eventually started chasing me down because they realized they can't win the waiting game.

Let me explain this in full. If Pac-Man is baiting the GP by fair launching hydrants at you, you're in a bad spot:

If you GP the hydrant and Pac-Man doesn't have a Key in his hand, he heals himself on reaction and the situation resets. The risk is minimal, if any. Unless you have a stock lead, you're going to lose the lead if you keep doing this.

If you GP the hydrant and Pac-Man does have a key in his hand, he can keep walking to you and wait just outside of your range with the Key. If you GP now because of Key, Pac-Man can punish you. If you shield, Pac-Man can play the waiting game or chuck the Key and damage / KO Luma and reset because you aren't mounting an offense.

If you attack the hydrant to cancel it, you're giving lag for Pac-Man to punish.

If you roll, side step, airdodge, or shield the hydrant, Luma will end up dying.

If you jump over it, you're high in the air. You don't take any immediate damage, but you have to come down eventually. Assuming SV is struck and banned, this is not going to be easy, especially if Pac-Man has a Key in hand.

If you are using GP, you can't dash attack me for pellet healing. In general, I'm not sure why you think the tech is so slow. I can pull it off against Mario players approaching me with Fireballs and still have time to have an answer for when he's in my face.

The hydrant really does nothing for Pac-Man as a grounded spatial control tool in this MU, but it sure does help him get out of juggles. If I don't have Luma, I can't easily send the hydrant flying so that's something to keep in mind as well (but with Luma it's really easy);
Yes it does. As you said, Rosalina alone is unable to instantly launch the hydrant without charging a smash attack, and if you're launching it with a smash and Pac-Man is near you're getting punished. With Luma, you're right, easy launch. Trampoline is the better spatial control tool though, because it forces you in the air should you attempt to approch Pac-Man.

without Luma I'll mostly be grav pulling it.
Which is a free heal for Pac-Man every time. If your local Pac-Man players aren't healing off of this, it's no wonder you think defense works so well.

The local Pacs only use default Pac for some reason, but I suspect that On-Fire Hydrant would actually be kinda helpful since being pushed with water means nothing to me (remember, I'm making you come to me unless you do something committed that I can punish; that water is zoning you out more than anything) while the flames could disrupt Luma.
On Fire Hydrant is a significant problem for Luma. The flames will shred it and destroy Rosalina's grounded game for the most part unless you prioritize launching it or GP'ing it away, both of which Pac-Man has answers for.

I disagree on Pac-Man having to approach because of the giant wall of text I'm writing.

Neither character really kills the other quickly. Pac-Man's kill moves are underwhelming in the first place, and Pac-Man is getting camped in this MU so his opportunities are sparse anyway. Rosalina is camping so she's not getting as many set-ups as she does otherwise, and even when she has chases, Pac-Man has good escapes. If Rosa makes a sloppy mistake with flying hydrants or keys, she can die early, but a good Rosa shouldn't really let that happen. Pac will only really die early if Rosa makes a really solid read or catches him off-stage, but Pac should be expected to play well enough to make this a rare occurrence. Rosa will be doing damage at a higher rate since her defensive game is superior, but regardless, this MU will be pushing the timer basically every time it happens.
Your opinion of the MU is based on Pac-Man having no answer to GP and always coming to Rosalina. That's not the case.

If Pac-Man takes the first stock, things flip around a bit and he starts the camp game himself. Rosa can approach him realistically (lots of walk up jab/tilt that Pac has poor punishes for),

This right here makes me wary of how your Pac-Man players are playing the MU. With the defensive play you're describing, they should always have time to set up trampoline. Trampoline forces Rosalina to come from the air, where Pac-Man's moves are much better for contesting hers. Walk up anything shouldn't be an option.

but I feel when she "has to" approach it's actually to his favor since he has lots of garbage to put in the way and slow her down. Just sitting right behind the hydrant when you have a stock lead makes Rosa's life hard, but it's not really an effective tactic at any time you don't have the stock lead.
It is in his favor when she has to approach, which will happen more often than you're thinking. It's because of the trampoline though, not the hydrant, although hydrant does help a good bit.

I only play with customs so here's about what Rosa's mean here. SSB isn't quite as good as it seems at first; I do outcamp Pac regardless, but if I SSB him across the stage, he holds the fruit up, gets hit so it will drop to his feet, and picks it up which actually helps him out a fair bit.
These are free heals for him. He can get fruit in his hand without getting hit.

As per stages, I strongly feel that Lylat Cruise is really good for Pac-Man here. His gameplan seems completely unimpeded by slopes while Rosa is a bit awkward on them, and this often creates situations where he can slip past Luma far easier than he "deserves" to (he also gets some really interesting set-ups with the variable apple bounce timing here if he's prepared to use it correctly). If the Rosa bans Lylat, Pac-Man mostly just wants to avoid platforms; Rosa uses these to enhance her defensive game while he gets little from them. Stages like FD and Duck Hunt are good picks for the Pac in this MU while you definitely want to avoid BF or DL64.

Overall I feel this is something like 7-3 Rosa if not even better. Pac-Man loses the slow game and has poor approach options against Rosalina's top tier defenses. He has a few good things he can go for, but the basic fundamental stuff all just goes Rosa's way pretty hard.
We disagree on the MU at a fundamental level, so I'm not going to get into this. I think Pac-Man needs to ban SV for sure and then whatever else will aid Rosalina's running away. The stage list is very much in her favor though, and whoever wins game 1 will be at a huge advantage in terms of CPs.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I was just testing the Fair launched hydrant and it seems like shielding it isn't too big of a problem. All the hydrant does is move luma, dealing no damage so far as I can see.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
You aren't doing it correctly then. The hydrant should hit luma and deal damage.
ok. Could you explain how to make it hit luma and not just repeatedly shift luma away?

EDIT: Perhaps I'm wrong but it only seems to hit luma and deal KB/ damage when the top of the bouncing hydrant hits luma. Maybe its just a coincidence but it doesn't seem like it.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
ok. Could you explain how to make it hit luma and not just repeatedly shift luma away?

EDIT: Perhaps I'm wrong but it only seems to hit luma and deal KB/ damage when the top of the bouncing hydrant hits luma. Maybe its just a coincidence but it doesn't seem like it.
IDK if it's exactly the top, the but the same thing is happening to me.

@ Nu~ Nu~ our hydrant hitboxes may have gotten adjusted or something. The Fair launched hydrant won't always hurt Luma. Nintendo...

Regardless, I don't think this changes anything I said. Sometimes it won't deal damage, sometimes it will. If you insist on full defense and don't respond to the launches, eventually Luma will get KO'd.

Oh and to clear up this whole "pellet healing is slow" nonsense, I tested it out. I put two Pac-Mans with Rosalina in training mode. One Pac-Man stood right next to Rosalina, the other a bit away. Using 1/4 slow-mo hitting L, I made sure the Pac-Man next to Rosalina started a Usmash at the same the other Pac-Man stared a side B. Next, I tapped L again and made Rosalina do a GP.

The Pac-Man that did the side B was able to have his shield up at around the same time the other Pac-Man's first hit of Usmash hit Rosalina, meaning that the healing off of GP takes ~13 frames at most.

Edit: No comments? :(

Anyway, I played Rosalina in a tournament this past Sunday (7/26) and in a money match yesterday (7/27), won both, and it confirmed everything I thought prior. Not once did I get punished for healing off of GP because it's fast. My Fair launched hydrants compelled reactions, and my Dair got rid of Luma pretty consistently. On the flip side, Rosalina's range + KO power advantage is still real, and edgeguards are quite scary. I'm sticking with the 60:40.

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Fun Fact: Luma cant be called back to Rosalina if a hydrant is in her way. Luma will just run into the hydrant so that is opportunity to attack Rosalina or kill the Luma if Rosalina isn't close enough to bop you for it.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Fun Fact: Luma cant be called back to Rosalina if a hydrant is in her way. Luma will just run into the hydrant so that is opportunity to attack Rosalina or kill the Luma if Rosalina isn't close enough to bop you for it.
Fun Fact: when tethered, luma jumps when rosalina does. And luma can jump over hydrants. Pretty easily.

Doomsday

Smash Rookie
NNID
Doomsday_the_New
I know this is a bit late, but why don't you guys just look at the abadango vs dabuz match. Its pretty obvious who wins the MU.

There are more than one of them, and they are both high level players. These alone should be sufficient enough to figure out the MU. Also just because a PAC player beat a rosalina player at some locals, it doesn't mean anything. The PAC player could just be a better player overall or the rosalina could lack any MU experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

BSP

Smash Legend
I know this is a bit late, but why don't you guys just look at the abadango vs dabuz match. Its pretty obvious who wins the MU.
Don't just take what big names do as fact. Abadango didn't do half of the things we know today regarding this MU, and that's why it looked so bad.

There are more than one of them, and they are both high level players. These alone should be sufficient enough to figure out the MU. Also just because a PAC player beat a rosalina player at some locals, it doesn't mean anything. The PAC player could just be a better player overall or the rosalina could lack any MU experience.
As far as I know, this MU doesn't happen much at top level, and the one video that most people cite is an incorrect way to play the MU from Pac-Man's side.

I'm assuming you're referring to what I've posted when you said the bolded. I would agree with you if I said "Guys, I destroy this guy at my local who plays Rosalina. Pac-Man wins this MU easy," but instead I gave a detailed explanation of the states of the MU. I've given examples of legitimate strategies that Pac-Man can perform in the MU, yet also explained what Rosalina has against this and why I still think the MU is slightly in her favor. I've done every strategy I've mentioned in tournament, and I can go get more footage if necessary. I'm sure a lot of people think the 2% heals don't matter. Yeah, tell that to me after I got timed out by 4% last time I played this MU in bracket.

If you want to call out my player skill in general, no, I'm not a top player. That being said, I'm not screwing around either. 33rd at MLG, and I can go pretty even with the two best players in LA who got 13th and 25th at the same tournament. Are we on the top? No. Do we have an idea of what we're doing? Yes. If we're putting people on blast, I don't think anyone who posts here is a top player. That being said, assessing this game isn't rocket science.

Also, the set I'm referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXpuIJSe5A

Craig and I have met multiple times in bracket, so he knows what Pac-Man is capable of. I actually could've won if I used trampoline while he was shielding on BF's platforms, but oh well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
PAC-MAN is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I would say this MU is even or +1 for Rosalina, no way 70:30. PAC-MAN can kill rosalina REALLY easy around 103%+- with fair to key combo, she is really large .

This is my match against the best Rosalina Mainer in Spain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgcR3kHPSVM

Top Bottom