• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ganondorf

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Ganondorf

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Ganondorf match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Ganondorf. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 7/12/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4ganondorf:
Default only | :rosalina: | +2
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +0.5 - +1
Default only
A2ZOMG: +2
Nintenbro_Zeke: +1 - +2
tconan: +2
Xinc: +2

Default + Custom
A2ZOMG: ±0 - +1
Xinc: +1

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think there's much to say that hasn't already been said previously. But I'd go with +2 Rosa default, +1 or +-0 Rosa customs.

Pretty hard matchup for Ganon given it's one of few where his range advantage is less pronounced (while Rosalina has Luma) and also his short grab range makes it a bit difficult to punish Rosalina for shielding (though his F-throw is great for separating them). Though when he kills Luma (which he CAN do pretty quickly), he does much better in neutral against her.

Rosa still can edgeguard the hell out of him better than basically anyone, though Ganon doesn't exactly do bad killing Rosalina offstage either. Plus she's both light and tall, which especially without Luma means on stage Ganon's aerials are massively threatening to her durability.

Customs help Ganon a lot when dropkick makes it a lot harder for Rosalina to autogimp Ganon and either Flame Wave or Flame Chain are more useful SideBs against Rosalina that can both kill Luma. Not too sure on a specific matchup value, but it's definitely a lot closer in customs.

Last edited:

tconan

Smash Cadet
+2 default for Rosalina

Rosalina pros:
-great edgeguarding and juggling
-Luma basically shuts down all of Ganon's options except shield if the Rosalina player's reaction time is good
-Ganon really struggles to get past the infinite Luma jab spin
Ganon pros:
-with Luma gone, he can bait Rosalina into defensive options and punish
-has an easy time killing Rosalina, and can kill Luma if the Rosalina player is not careful

This matchup is the Rosalina player's match to lose. If the Rosa player doesn't make mistakes in the neutral, Ganon has few ways that he can get in.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
+2 default for Rosalina, +1 customs

Reasons:
Rosalina can play conservatively and defensively, which makes it difficult for Ganon since there aren't many mistakes he could feed off with Rosa having to overcommit. With Luma, she has a great spacing game, being able to send Luma and prevent Ganon from approaching. Killing Rosa and gaining that period of reprieve is a struggle in the matchup, but once Luma is gone, Ganon can approach more easily.

In addition, Rosalina has a great edge guard with her down air, as well as her up air juggling game, since those rings are transcendent.

What Ganondorf gets in the customs matchup are Flame Wave, which neuters Luma far easier, Blade, which allows for better spacing control (minimally), and Dropkick, which helps his survival as well as hitting at a better angle. Overall, Rosalina still is better than Ganon in neutral.

What Rosa has trouble in the matchup is the sheer power Ganon has. Rosa is fairly light, which means an up smash at 70 can spell death for her.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main dumb thing I learned recently is that Ganon's buffed D-smash actually instakills Luma pretty reliably.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I don't believe the MU spread has changed (maybe Ganon has a slightly better MU, but it's still really much in Rosa's favor).

Maybe the last patch may offer something new.

Nintenbro_Zeke

Smash Rookie
I've always felt Rosa has the better MU against Ganon. I feel I can never fully utilize Ganon's grabs or Side-B grab mainly due to Luma being able to immediately react once I touch her, but of course once Luma is gone for the short duration Ganon has a better neutral. Ganon can damage Luma pretty easily with down-tilts and forward-tilts, or down-B (but thats more punishable)

Her disadvantage is that she's tall and a little light which is easy prey for a heavy hitter, but her advantages are her awkward hitboxes and that absurd Up-air/Down-air to easily punish any of Ganon's falling or recovery back onto stage.

I'd say its 65-35 Rosa's favor.

Top Bottom