• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The White Witch, Lana casts herself into battle

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

LANA
Welcome everyone, to the Lana support thread, the thread for the spunky protagonist from Hyrule Warriors, Lana.

Who is Lana?
Lana, nicknamed the White Witch, is a new character from Hyrule Warriors. Not much is known about her atm, however she is shown to be very energetic, and is said to be very knowledgeable in both magic and monsters. She also has a deep rivalry/hatred with the main antagonist, Cia, and is determined to stop her at any costs. Some theorize she may be related to the Goddess of Wisdom, Naryu, based on the symbol on her book. Others also theorize she may be related to Lanaryu, perhaps a human form of the ancient dragon spirit.

Why Lana in Sm4sh?
First off, it should go without saying that Hyrule Warriors was created far to late to receive any recognition in Smash 4. However, that does not mean that Lana could not be a DLC character added later. First, the 4 criteria of Smash characters.

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game?
Zelda is a very popular series, part of the Big 3 Triforce of Nintendo. Lana is a key part and possible mascot to the newest Zelda game, Hyrule Warriors. As such, she can be a bridge for Smash fans into the Dynasty Warriors games as well as Zelda, and a bridge for Zelda/DW fans into Smash

2. The character must be unique.
We'll get to this one in more detail in a second, but first off, she fights with magic that is far different than the likes of Zelda or Palutena, focusing more on projection, while also being very agile and quick.

3. The character must fit into the style of Smash Bros.
Lana is a character that could fit into Smash Bros even better than some of our current and previous fighters, while bringing something new to the table

4.They must contribute to game balance.
Lana would likely be more about stage control and tech punishes based on her speed and ability to create solid objects.

Lana is a character that could bring something very unique to the Smash Bros universe., and fits all the criteria needed for a Smash Bros character (and even better, is 1st party), and also helps promote a new different idea for the Zelda series as a whole.

How would she even fight?

May I direct your eyes to this

Lana posses the ability to project various objects across the battlefield, as well as fighting with one of the most unique weapons, a Book (and given the promise of multiple weapon styles for characters, would likely bring other tools to the table). She is also capable of unleashing powerful lightning magic. Her moveset would incorporate her various weapons, as well as her martial arts ability, to control the battlefield and her opponents, the potential for her is very high.

Criticisms against Lana
A) There are many more deserving Zelda characters to choose from, she shouldn't be in before Impa/Vaati/Ghirahim/Darunia/Link's Uncle/etc;:

Certainly, there are lots of characters from the past that deserve recognition. However, we shouldn't look to the past, but instead look to the future, and Lana could be a key future character in the series. If sales are good, we could very well see the likes of Hyrule Warriors 2, or her appearing in the main timeline series. Plus if she is related to Naryu/Lanaryu, she is very very important to the main series through just that. Plus her potential for uniqueness is off the charts, I'd say more so than every Zelda character, including the 5 veterans we currently have (I'm looking at you Toon Link)

B) Zelda doesn't need 6 characters anyway. We need more Golden Sun/Custom Robo/Advance Wars/Star Tropics/Chibi Robo/etc; instead!

Again, there are a lot of series that deserves to have a new rep, however Lana does not take away any chance for any other character to show up from another franchise, and Zelda certainly does deserve 6. As mentioned, it's part of the holy Nintendo triforce, and with both Mario and Pokemon looking to get up there in roster count, it's only fair that Zelda also gets recognition

How can we help Lana?
As I said, Lana came about most likely to late in Smash 4's development to be an on disc character. I guess we should just give up then huh? Wrong. As said, the chance for DLC (especially since it's backed by the Gematsu leak) is very high, and Lana would be a great choice for DLC, for many of the reasons I have covered in this OP. Still though, how can we help see this happen?

1) Tweet at key Nintendo personal: If you want to see Lana added, it's simple, get your voice out there, become a wave, and crash down on the establishment showing that yes, we want Lana. Be sure to tweet out #LanaHW4Smash4 to any of the following (or better, all of them

–Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica)

–Bill Trinen, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@trintran)

–Alison Rapp, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@mnemosynekurai)

–Erik Peterson, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@CountLePants)

–Dan Fazio, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@danfazio)

–JC Rodrigo, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@JCDotface)

–???, Nintendo Treehouse Member (@ramtower)

–Masahiro Sakurai, Game Director (@Sora_Sakurai)*

–Yo****o Higuchi, Game Director (@HIGUCHI_BNG)*

–Katsuhiro Harada, Game Producer/Lead Developer of Tekken Project (@Harada_TEKKEN)*

–Kazuya Kiyoshima, Namco Member of the Board, Managing Director (@kiyoshimah)*

–Nintendo of Japan (@Nintendo)*

*'s are JP accounts, so remember to translate before you tweet. Or don't, long as the message gets out.

2) E-mail to Nintendo: Right here we can reach Nintendo directly, as a consumer of their products and a fan of their work. As such, we can e-mail them telling them, we want Lana. What's that? You don't want to write out a long e-mail? That's ok, I'll write it for you.

Greetings,

I'm e-mailing you about your upcoming game, Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS, and about DLC for said game. I'm writing to suggest that this new game developed by Nintendo and Namco Bandai, should add Lana, one of the main characters from one of your other new games, Hyrule Warriors, into these games as a playable character.

Lana is the perfect fighter to add as DLC, as she is a new character to this long standing franchise from a historic new game from said franchise, possessing much in the way of being a new fresh unique fighter to the Smash Bros series. She may be new, but that only makes it all the better to include her, she is part of the new future of the Zelda franchise, and a mascot for the innovation and personality Nintendo is known for. She could be developed very easily, having so much she could potentially pull from for a moveset, and is both an advertisement for Zelda and Dynasty Warriors fans to Smash, and an advertisement for Smash fans for Zelda and Dynasty Warriors, much as Marth and Roy bridged the gap between Fire Emblem and Smash back in Melee, starting the wave of a game series that went from a niche Japanese product, to a world wide critically acclaimed phenomenon, it's win win for fans and Nintendo.

I hope you listen to me and other fans of this great new character, our fanbase loves uniqueness, and the uniqueness and fun she could bring is through the roof, and I'm confident she would sell very well to we fans. Zelda deserves this, Hyrule Warriors deserves this, and of course, Lana deserves this.

Thank you for your time reading this e-mail

-A Lana Supporter for Smash 4 DLC
3) Send a letter: It's one thing to e-mail something. It's another to physically show them the support for the character, so guys, mail them, heck, print out the sample e-mail above and send it to either

Nintendo of America Address: 4600 150th Ave NE; Redmond, WA 98052

Namco Bandai Address: 1740 Technology Drive, Suite 600; San Jose, CA 95110

4) Call: If you really want to get your voice out there, what better way then to actually get your voice out there.

Nintendo of America Phone:
(425)-882-2040

Namco Bandai Phone: (408)-235-2000

5)Spread the movement: Social media is huge in our world now adays. From Facebook to Twitter to Tumblr to Instagram, our world revolves around it much like how we revolve around the sun. Facebook to your friends, Tweet to your followers, make an Instagram video, heck, go knock on your neighbours door right now, and tell them to support Lana as Smsh Bros 4 DLC, and to tell the their friends and followers to support her, so they tell their friends, and then we as a collective voice will all be heard around the world as we scream in Masahiro Sakurai's ears, WE WANT LANA FOR SMASH 4. Thanks for your time everyone, and remember, if you support Lana in Smash 4, you support this

Special Thanks

@Chandelure for the OP inspiration

@BKupa666 for the DLC campaign inspiration

Everyone who supports her

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Add me to the supporter list! Lana looks like she'd be a really fun character to play as in Smash.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I just saw the trailer with Lana, and I came here for that reason ! Add me to the supporter list^^ We need an ice based character !!

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Add me as well! She looks like she would be a great addition to smash.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Could totally use some sig icons btw :p

And of course she does, heck, I expect to one day see her on the main site!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was going to make this goddamit aaaa

Oh well. Sign me up as a supporter. She looks interesting a fighter. I'll probably post a moveset later.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Huh, a thread already?

I suppose she would definitely be interesting based on what we saw her trailer, that ice magic was great... but I can't say I support her before some other longer running Zelda characters.

I wouldn't mind if she somehow magically winds up as DLC, however.

FyrianFate

Smash Apprentice
OOOOOOhhhhhhhhh I didn't see that gameplay trailer, she looks sooooo fun to play. I love the idea of a character based around area control attacks, and she just looks so great: original, great design, seems fun, likeable.
I do want Ghirahim, but since Lana (god I keep thinking of Lana del Rey every time I say that name -.-) would be competing for a DLC spot while he'd be on disc, I have absolutely no problem supporting her. I only hope she doesnt take away Lucas' hopes of getting in through DLC, but that's not specific to her, so yea^^.
Add me to the supporters list^^

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I absolutely love Lana's design and I can't wait to use her in Hyrule Warriors. Add me to the support list! She would be an extremely cool character in smash.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ever since E3, I've become more and more interested in Lana as a character in Smash Bros. But my preferred Zelda character is still Ganon, who trumps her in iconic status and relevance.

Decisions, decisions...

Neo Zero

Thank you guys for the support (even you Fal :p).

Like I mention, it's my belief that she deserves to be in, not necessarily over any other Zelda character, but deserving for a different reason all the same. In the ideal world, they'd all be in (especially Link's Uncle), I just want to show why she should be in, all factors aside, while also showing people just how they can really support her inclusion.

D

Deleted member

Huh, a thread already?

I suppose she would definitely be interesting based on what we saw her trailer, that ice magic was great... but I can't say I support her before some other longer running Zelda characters.

I wouldn't mind if she somehow magically winds up as DLC, however.
Oh you! :4pacman:

Anyway, I'm completely neutral toward the character herself at the moment, though her color scheme does slightly remind me of Sayaka, and she does look like she could have quite a few interesting moves based on that video.

I think the real question though is if she would get the Triforce as her icon. Isn't Hyrule Warriors a spin-off of sorts?

Neo Zero

Oh you! :4pacman:

Anyway, I'm completely neutral toward the character herself at the moment, though her color scheme does slightly remind me of Sayaka, and she does look like she could have quite a few interesting moves based on that video.

I think the real question though is if she would get the Triforce as her icon. Isn't Hyrule Warriors a spin-off of sorts?
It's still a Zelda game. Think of it like this, Rainbow Road uses the Mushroom and it's from a Mario spin off.

D

Deleted member

It's still a Zelda game. Think of it like this, Rainbow Road uses the Mushroom and it's from a Mario spin off.
Yeah, that's true. Forgot about Mario Kart. It's weird though. Mario Kart music is listed as a separate series of sorts, yet it uses the Mushroom icon. Make up your mind!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By the way, who owns the rights to the character? Well, could it be a Geno-like situation?

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I'm not a supporter, but I must say you did a GREAT job with the OP. One of the best support threads I've seen in a while.

Neo Zero

By the way, who owns the rights to the character? Well, could it be a Geno-like situation?
Honestly, I'm not sure, but I imagine it's a situation like Metroid Other M, which is where all the Metroid designs for 4 are coming from, so I imagine any HW asset can be freely used.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ew. With so many interesting Zelda characters, this generic moe girl is like, one of the last chars I would want to see in Smash.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Gah she's really cute... *Cough* Sign me up as a supporter, though she seems really unlikely since this is a Dynasty Warriors spinoff of all things. Maybe a trophy if we're lucky.

Does the Dynasty Warriors series usually have magic users like this? All I know of the series is that there's usually 80+ characters playable but that's about it. Like 90% of the people excited about Hyrule Warriors, I don't know much about the DW series.
Like Aonuma said, maybe this could help fans each series get interested in the other.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Interesting character with a cool design and personality, and interesting powers. I think she would have been great as a titular protagonist in a standalone Nintendo series.

I must say, at first I did not have high expectations for Hyrule Warriors, but after seeing the most recent footage, it looks to be showing some promise.

Anyhow, though I doubt she would appear in Super Smash Bros, at least not as a playable character, her powers would definitely make her an interesting and unique character.

I honestly hope to see this character in future core Zelda titles. She could act as Link's sidekick, providing knowledge and using her powers to help Link reach certain areas, solve certain puzzles, and defeat certain enemies.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
She's adorable, I'll give you that, add me to the supporters!
Seriously, she's adorable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Add me to the supporters since I really do like her more than Tia the Black ***** due to dat moveset and personality.

But in the end, it will always be Impa > anyone else in my eyes.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Oh God this game is reusing so many soundclips. Link's original spin attack noise gets higher in pitch for Zelda to use (and not changed from there) and then Lana has it even HIGHER. And watching Impa's trailer, she says it too, just while being strangled and sounding a little bit more feminine.

It looks like the only character who doesn't talk like Link are Agitha and Midna! >_> So apparently all humans older than 10 learn to do a Link impression while they fight?

I only came to this thread to point it out because I was actually quite disappointed that Lana said it.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ah, a thread to rival my Cia thread >:)

The Lana vs Cia fight will be amazing in Hyrule Warriors
Especially when Cia wins:evil:

But of course, I support!
And you did a great job with OP! I'm going to be lazy and not update the Cia thread until the game is out :shades:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Lana's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
While I don't necessarily support her as a character, I definitely enjoyed reading your page! Very well put together Neo!

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Sign me up. After seeing her in both her character trailer and in the most recent footage, there's no way I would complain about her being in Smash.

Top Bottom