• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Nintendo make bad choices for newcomers?

What do you think about the newcomers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
What do you guys think about these newcomers?
1403413869203.jpg

I think that some of them were great, but I feel like they started randomly selecting after awhile. Like they gave up or something. For instance, adding Palutena was awesome, anddd so was Rosalina and Luma (in my opinion) I'm sure a lot of people were waiting for Palutena,but then wii fit trainer? Pac man? Out of all the amazing characters they could've chosen... what about Daisy? Has everyone forgotten about Daisy? She doesn't get enough credit. I believe they unnecessarily eliminated some good characters, like falcon. They could have kept everybody in. I want to hear everyone's opinion.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I feel like it's too early to say. I for one haven't plaed them, so while I am excited for Mega Man and Pac-man at the moment I might find them annoying to play as. There are also secret characters, or characters they'll announce a bit later. Some of the veterans that haven't been revealed yet such as Falcon won't be revealed before release cause they're secret. I'm sounding like a bit of a broken record right now but yeah, I can't say until I've played it for myself and seen the full roster.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
They haven't deconfirmed any veterans except Squirtle and Ivysaur yet (probably) so your 'unnecessary eliminations' aren't really a factor. Everything else really is just personal opinion; for instance, I think Daisy is a total throwaway character.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
If you told me that I would like the fact that Miis, Palutena and Pac-Man were in the game 2 months ago, I would have laughed and told you where to shove it. But, Sakurai worked his magic. I've grown to like them.

A thing that I feel a lot of people forget at times is that Smash's roster is mostly not down to personal preference, but as to who would be healthy for the game overall and in the end? We have a roster that includes some huge names, some "unknowns", some legends and overall, icons. Isn't that what Smash is about? Bringing Nintendo's greats together? Even as is, the roster is Nintendo.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually believe that most of the characters were good choices; they could have been better, but they could have certainly been worse.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No. Every newcomer has deserved and more than earned their spot in Smash Brothers at this point? Even the out there choices like Wii Fit bring something to the table no other character could.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So far? No.

We still have to wait and see for the rest. (Including hidden newcomers)

Also, Pac-Man was a good addition. His inclusion made history. Four of the top dogs of gaming in one game is amazing and nothing will top it.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Anyone who doesn't respect Pac Man or understand why he's in Smash Brothers at this point baffles me.

Without the steps he paved for other characters and video games? We wouldn't even be looking at the video game scene we're looking at currently.

Kay kay

Everything else really is just personal opinion; for instance, I think Daisy is a total throwaway character.
How so? I believe that is exactly the reason why she doesn't get enough credit. She's never really around except for in Mario kart, so people think of her as "useless, pointless". Although I feel that if she was exposed a bit more, like in games such as this, she would get a little more notice.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Falcon wasn't cut.... I think you don't realize that they haven't announced the entire roster yet... There is more to come.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Anyone who doesn't respect Pac Man or understand why he's in Smash Brothers at this point baffles me.

Without the steps he paved for other characters and video games? We wouldn't even be looking at the video game scene we're looking at currently.
Agreed

Falcon wasn't cut.... I think you don't realize that they haven't announced the entire roster yet... There is more to come.
This. Just this.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
The only questionable choice I would say is Greninja, if only because it's not the face of Pokemon X/Y, but he's well loved and his moveset looks like a lot of fun. Little Mac was long overdue, and the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer have their own followings that make them quirky experimental characters, and from what I hear they are pretty popular with quite a few players.

Until another character pulls a Dr. Mario (ironically my Melee main), being a clone character in both moveset and being on the roster twice, I think they are doing fine.

Last edited:

Cabbages

Smash Rookie
Nah. All of these characters deserve to be in Smash Bros., especially Pac-Man. Don't really understand why you consider Daisy to be an "amazing" character given that aside from her debut, her only role's been as a filler character in Mario spinoffs, but okay. The only character that makes me go "Huh, really?" is Wii Fit Trainer, but even though I don't have much particular interest in playing as her, she does make sense.

D

Deleted member

No. All of them are quite unique in how they look, feel, and play. I am withholding all possible judgments toward Gematsu characters/all other possible newcomers until they are shown in game. I hated Wario as a character, but I love how he plays, and learned to enjoy the character while at it. I was indifferent toward Pac-man until seeing him ingame made me really excited to try him out. Truly, there are no bad choices for newcomers, only opinions. If all the newcomers end up being as fresh and diverse as the ones we've seen thus far, I will be totally okay with losing characters that I enjoy using such as Ivysaur or Lucas.

But your complaint about losing Falcon is incorrect. Not all the characters will be revealed, and it seems like the good Captain will be a hidden character once again. Wait until the game launches, and we'll be seeing much more familiar faces from Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My anus bleeds upon the sight of these newcomers. Only Ridley, Mewtwo, and King K. Rool will soothe my rectal pain. :cry:

Kay kay

The only questionable choice I would say is Greninja, if only because it's not the face of Pokemon X/Y, but he's well loved and his moveset looks like a lot of fun. .
Questionable to me as well. I feel like Greninja brings a sense of repetition to the game though. Not many of his skills are new, I'm not very surprised. He is too simular to Shiek. disappearing in mist, ninja-like reflexes; haven't we all seen that before?

Speculator

Smash Ace
How so? I believe that is exactly the reason why she doesn't get enough credit. She's never really around except for in Mario kart, so people think of her as "useless, pointless". Although I feel that if she was exposed a bit more, like in games such as this, she would get a little more notice.
If it was between Daisy and Rosalina for a fifth Mario character, Rosalina clearly has a lot more to offer. She's providing a new mechanic that hasn't been seen in SSB before, which really isn't something that could have been achieved with Daisy. There's also enough charm and content in the Galaxy games for Rosalina to use in her moveset. On one level she's a Mario series rep, but on another she's really about representing SMG 1 and 2. I don't think there's quite enough there in the first Super Mario Land game (Daisy's only main series appearance) to bolster a whole moveset, and the sports games don't really offer anything unique either.

If the roster was designed entirely to adhere to fan character requests, it'd be a snoozefest. Some support bases care more about just seeing a character included than they do about that character bringing anything new to the game. It's Sakurai's non-obvious thinking that makes him so good at his job, and what makes speculating about potential newcomers so much fun.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I find it really really funny when people think that characters like Captain Falcon and Ness have been cut because they haven't been shown yet.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Questionable to me as well. I feel like Greninja brings a sense of repetition to the game though. Not many of his skills are new, I'm not very surprised. He is too simular to Shiek. disappearing in mist, ninja-like reflexes; haven't we all seen that before?
Why have you ignored all people telling you that Cpt. Falcon is not deconfirmed? I don't understand where you got that idea, almost NO veterans have been DECONFIRMED

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Why have you ignored all people telling you that Cpt. Falcon is not deconfirmed? I don't understand where you got that idea, almost NO veterans have been DECONFIRMED
Only Squirtle and Ivysaur at this point.

Kay kay

What makes you think I'm ignoring?

D

Deleted member

My anus bleeds upon the sight of these newcomers. Only Ridley, Mewtwo, and King K. Rool will soothe my rectal pain. :cry:
MEWTWO
IS
NOT
A
NEWCOMER

STOP TREATING HIM AS ONE.
(calling Mewtwo a newcomer is one of my pet peeves)

If the roster was designed entirely to adhere to fan character requests, it'd be a snoozefest. Some support bases care more about just seeing a character included than they do about that character bringing anything new to the game. It's Sakurai's non-obvious thinking that makes him so good at his job, and what makes speculating about potential newcomers so much fun.
So very much this.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Only Squirtle and Ivysaur at this point.
Yes I agree that is why I wrote "almost" it's easier than write Squirtle and Ivysaur

What makes you think I'm ignoring?
Well in your answers you don't adress this point that lots of people have pointed to you, and that is relevant because you made this topic with the argument, that some of them were included at the cost of veterans being cut, which is not the case. Only Squirtle and Ivysaur can be considered deconfirmed

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I do think some characters like Ridley should've gotten in before a few of these characters, (let's not get into another Ridley discussion though) but most of them, particularly Villager, Little Mac, and, third-party-wise, Mega Man and Pac-man are all perfectly justified inclusions.

I suppose Greninja is a bit questionable, particularly if Mewtwo does not return, but by Pokemon's standards, it does make sense. Sakurai stated in an interview he asks Pokemon's developers "what's hot" and from what I've heard and seen, Greninja is the most popular of the fully evolved starters in X/Y.

Last edited:

Kay kay

Yes I agree that is why I wrote "almost" it's easier than write Squirtle and Ivysaur

Well in your answers you don't adress this point that lots of people have pointed to you, and that is relevant because you made this topic with the argument, that some of them were included at the cost of veterans being cut, which is not the case. Only Squirtle and Ivysaur can be considered deconfirmed

Hmm, well I see your point. I would just like you to be informed that I have taken consideration in everyone's answers, I haven't thought of it that way.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Most choices were great. As humorous as it is, I myself think Wii Fit Trainer was a poor choice, but it's there, so I won't complain.

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
I wish there were a "meh" option because that how I feel. I'm not opposed to most of the newcomers, *glances accusingly at WFT (more like wtf heh)* but I'm not real excited about any of them honestly. Sure the matchup between Megaman, Pac-Man, Mario, and Sonic is legendary, but the characters individually I'm not real psyched about. I don't know man. I'm just indifferent about all of them.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I suppose Greninja is a bit questionable, particularly if Mewtwo does not return, but by Pokemon's standards, it does make sense. Sakurai stated in an interview he asks Pokemon's developers "what's hot" and from what I've heard and seen, Greninja is the most popular of the fully evolved starters in X/Y.
Doubtful on the "hot" part, considering Sakurai chose Greninja during the beginning of development. If they had waited for X/Y's release, it would have been too late. Source.

I'd like to make my judgement once the game releases, however, I personally think some choices we got so far are passable, while some being great.

Last edited:

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Son, did you just say Daisy? Daisy?? The crusty ass pimple of the Mario universe? Son, you need to rethink your life.

Anyways

I think all of these newcomers are amazing. They all looked great and this is the first time ever I've actually wanted to try all of the newcomers.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Doubtful on the "hot" part, considering Sakurai chose Greninja during the beginning of development. If they had waited for X/Y's release, it would have been too late. Source.
Ah right, I forgot about that.

I do think they made the right choice with Greninja, though again I think it would be questionable to add a new Pokemon and not bring Mewtwo back.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
At E3 2013, I couldn't help but think that they were saving the good newcomers for later. I thought the same thing after the Smash Direct. And again at E3 2014. But the release date is close and I still don't see hype-worthy newcomers, like the ones from Brawl.
There is only one newcomer I really like. The rest is ok at best.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ah right, I forgot about that.

I do think they made the right choice with Greninja, though again I think it would be questionable to add a new Pokemon and not bring Mewtwo back.
Yeah, I kinda get the impression that Sakurai may have had a Pokemon Newcomer placeholder (which doesn't count Mewtwo) in mind. And I agree that it would be questionable if we don't get Mewtwo, but anything's possible really ah ha... Mewtwo has a lot going for him, so I'm hoping for the best.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
The only newcomers that I'm STILL questioning are the Wii Fit Trainers and Villager.

I just don't get it. I know Animal Crossing has a pretty large following, but I just don't see why the series needed a playable rep. The series got enough representation in Brawl IMO. If AC did need a playable character, ol' Sonny Resetti would've done the job just fine.

As for WFT...I honestly think this slot should've gone to K. Rool. DK needs a rep. That's all I've to say about her inclusion.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The only newcomers that I'm STILL questioning are the Wii Fit Trainers and Villager.

I just don't get it. I know Animal Crossing has a pretty large following, but I just don't see why the series needed a playable rep. The series got enough representation in Brawl IMO. If AC did need a playable character, ol' Sonny Resetti would've done the job just fine.

As for WFT...I honestly think this slot should've gone to K. Rool. DK needs a rep. That's all I've to say about her inclusion.
It's a successful franchise in general. Not because it's following is large. A playable rep was deserved. Also, Villager is the main character/one of the faces of the franchise. I don't see why they wouldn't choose him over others. It's simple as that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Villager frankly is one that makes the absolute most sense. (Along with Mac and Palutena) The only reason anyone feels otherwise is Sakurai "bashed" him in the pre-Brawl days. (And, if I remember right, did the same to Miis in the same image.)

As for all the newcomer choices, he's done an excellent job of bringing unique playstyles to the game, similar to what Diddy, Olimar, Ike, Wario, ROB, etc. brought in Brawl. I hope at least the reamining newcomers we "know" about do too.

And Falcon, Wario, MK, and probably all the remaining vets (except maybe Lucas apparently) are totally safe, we just haven't seen them yet. Calm down.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Im actually pretty excited for all the SSB4 newcomers. Will definitely try them all out.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
You kidding? Greninja and Rosalina were characters that I always suggest with the preface "I know this will never happen" and now they've both happened. Having Pac-Man and Megaman makes this a piece of gaming history. Little Mac is LONG overdue. Villager is unique and his fan art has given me a lot of laughs (and nightmares). Wii Fit Trainer obviously wasn't my first choice, but Sakurai has certainly worked his magic with her. And Palutena... do I even need to say anything!?

The only newcomer I actively dislike is the Mii Fighters. I like Mii's as avatars, and in games like Nintendo Land, but not games like this. I HATE seeing them online in Mario Kart 8, and I don't like the idea of them here. And I know they aren't playable online with anyone, but that's kind of a mixed bag. On the one hand, I don't have to worry about seeing them, which is good. But on the other hand, I'll see those character boxes every time I reach the select screen, and the back of my mind will always linger on who else could be in those spots that wouldn't had to have been banned from online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom