• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Batsman (Indoor Batting Machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Say hello to Nintendo's single oldest video game character: The Batsman, from Indoor Batting Machine, which was made in 1968!

While this character hasn't really made any canon appearances since his debut, he did appear in WarioWare Smooth Moves, where you can play as him in one of 9-Volt's microgames.

You may be wondering why such a character would be chosen, when we already have Ness, who uses a baseball bat for a smash attack. Plus, we have Miis, who could also use sport based weapons. Well, there really isn't any reason, so Nintendo would have to get creative with this character, just like Captain Falcon, ROB and Wii Fit Trainer.

As you can see, this character is made of a simple wire frame model, similar to Wireframe Mac. But I think he could use a combination of baseball moves and some slightly less... conventional moves. This character would make for yet another cool novelty fighter.

Special Moves:
Down: Cooldown (After all this running and jumping about, the Batsman takes a short while to stretch his legs to cool off. This in turn powers up his bat, making it glow with pixelated energy. You can combine this attack with his neutral special, which will be explained below)

Neutral: Home Run (The Batsman takes a baseball out of his pocket and whacks it towards his opponent, dealing a surprising amount of damage. If the Batsman had used the down special move Cooldown previously, the baseball with hit the ball even harder, making it fly farther and cause opponents to get stunned for about 2 or 3 seconds)

Side: Quick Fire Lob (The Batsman grabs the automatic baseball throwing machine and swings it around like Kirby's hammer, which also launches three baseballs at once (each one flies at a different angle) , except these ones deal far less damage. The machine itself does far more damage on contact.)

Up: Polygon Plane (The Batsman folds himself up into a polygonal paper plane and flies upwards in a similar fashion to Meta Knight. The move doesn't do as much damage as Meta Knight's up special though.)

Final Smash:
Nintendo Power (The Batsman grabs one of the large Nintendo signs from the adverts in the Indoor Batting Machine stadium. With one mighty swing, the Batsman grand slams anyone in the way of the Nintendo sign, instantly koing them.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm fairly certain the "Batsman" is a character that debuted in the WarioWare microgame, and the "Indoor Batting Machine" is just the Ultra Machine, which was not a video game - just a toy. I mean if you look closely, the object pitching the balls in the microgame is red with a hint of blue, same as the Ultra Machine.

Not to mention 1968 is pretty much a good decade before Nintendo entered the gaming market, and the same year the toy debuted.

If you can prove otherwise that'd be great, and interesting, but I'm thinking this is just a thread for a nameless character seen for a few seconds in a WarioWare game.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
After doing some research, you are right, in that the Batsman himself hasn't actually appeared in a video game before WarioWare, but the Ultra Machine toy is included in his moveset. It's really no different to Sakurai including Mr Game & Watch, who until Melee had only appeared in Game & Watch Gallery as a background character.

It was really quite clever of Nintendo to turn an obscure 60s toy into it's own universe so to speak. Perhas the Batsman's moveset could also involve toys like the Ultra Hand.

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
This guy has zero chance to get in... that doesn't mean I don't want him in though.

I'm at least hoping the Ultra Machine makes it as an item.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe the guy with the Ultra Machine for a head could be an Assist Trophy where he runs around while the machine throws balls at characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom