• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Leon S. Kennedy Fires Back for Smash 4: Analysis & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

Greetings one and all to the Leon S. Kennedy discussion for Super Smash Bros. 4.

Instead of the usual "oh, I would love to see this character in" topic, I'd like to start a large discussion on the possibilities of him being in, the possible moveset and various other material in an in-depth analysis. Now without further ado, let's get into this.

General Description:
The general description of Leon S. Kennedy is a man who fights hordes of zombies, Ganados and other horrors in his respective games. He first appears in Resident Evil 2 for the Sony Playstation, which was ported to the Nintendo 64 and was a revolution on the latter console for retaining its entirety of cutscenes on the cartridge. He is later seen in Resident Evil Gaiden for the Gameboy Advance, where he is again a main character.

Next in the series, he appears in Resident Evil 4, which was, at the time, a Gamecube Exclusive release. It was then eventually ported to other consoles, including the Nintendo Wii. Finally, he appears on Nintendo systems in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, where you play two missions for Leon S. Kennedy; a remake of Resident Evil 2 and a new story where you team up with Jack Krauser to find a man named Javier Hidalgo.

Possibilities in Smash 4:
Though it seems highly improbable that he could be in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, it's not impossible. First of all, the intent is that no character from the same series, that is 3rd party, can be in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. This does not, however, imply any character from another series.

As well, there's the possibility of having 4-5 slots for 3rd party characters this time around; we already got two out of the possible five characters, and it would seem likely that Leon could be part of the cast of characters.

On to the topic of how he would be a playable character. Now, there's a few chances or hints that could lead up to Leon's possible release into the game. One is that Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition releases onto the Wii U console within the time of SSB4's release, the second is that we get a Resident Evil stage announced for the latter game. However, these are chance situations.

Again, highly improbable, but not impossible. Though some would argue that he could get in, others argue he may not be.

Moveset:
Now, Leon is known to be a character who uses guns within the Resident Evil games. And since Sakurai doesn't intend guns to be remotely close to the Smash Bros. series, let's look at what Leon could have for his moveset that does not include any guns.

Knife: Leon could use his trademark knife for most of his moves, mostly his grounded attacks. His knife could give him considerable range and act similar to Marth's where the arm actually has a hitbox that is somewhat weaker than the knife hitbox, and near the tip of the knife is where Leon would best benefit from this.

Grenades: In his arsenal of weapons are his grenades. Not only could Leon pull out a regular grenade, but also Flash and Incendiary grenades, as well, and all with different effects. The regular grenade has high knockback and decent range, the incendiary grenades stall opponents and deals multiple hits of damage, similar to Ness's PK Fire, and his Flash grenades stun enemies momentarily and could make it to where the controls invert for a few seconds.

Rocket Launcher: The most destructive of Leon's equipment, the Rocket Launcher has been a staple in most, if not all, Resident Evil games. Leon could come packed with the RPG-7 and Special Rocket Launcher, with the latter being much more powerful than the former. He could also come equipped with the Mine Thrower and Grenade Launcher guns for more explosive damage used. If the latter two cannot be used as specials, it's also possible they could be items.

Remote Detonated Bombs: Similar to Snake's C4 and C3 attacks, Leon could place remotely detonated bombs down to the ground or from the air, with an added twist; they penetrate shields at the cost of sticking to opponents and have a large blast radius. These also can be put out in a multiple of 3, giving Leon more spacial advantage to the arena.

Melee Attacks: Another staple of the Resident Evil series, Leon could perform various attacks of his own, and from others, as his normal and special attacks. These attacks include the Roundhouse Kick, Wesker's Thrust Punch and Drop Kick and Helena's Sweep Kick. Attacks from other series, prominently Street Fighter, would also include Ryu's Hurricane Kick, Vega's Piece of Mercury and Scarlet Terror, and Balrog's Turn Punch.

P.R.L. 412: A non-canon gun to Resident Evil 4, this weapon could deal the same effects as Flash grenade, or, when fully charged, unleashes an extremely powerful/OHKO move similar to Little Mac's, but with amazing range and linear movement. The P.R.L. could also charge up more slowly than Little Mac's attack, but can be held indefinitely and used in the air and aimed. This could also be an effective Final Smash for Leon, and if so, could have all desired effects of penetrating dodges, delivering an OHKO, and auto aiming on the opponent(s).

Now with this covered, let's go onto his special moves and what they could be, act like and their damage total:

Neutral Special: Grenade Throw -
(Normal: 2% Damage when thrown, 7% Damage when close to the opponent, 12% damage for explosion, 14-19% Damage total) Leon throws an explosive grenade at the opponent, causing decent knockback. Has low start and end lag accompanied by decent blast range.

(Incendiary: 3% Damage when thrown, 2% Damage per burn with 9 hits, 5-21% total) Leon throws an incendiary grenade that explodes upon contact with the ground or the opponent. The burns cause the opponent to flinch until the fire is gone. Has low start and end lag accompanied by a larger blast radius. Can engulf opponents in the air and trap them.

(Flash: 3% Damage when thrown, 5% damage with flash affecting both players, 10% damage if hitting the opponent, 3-13% total) Leon throws a flash grenade that explodes a blinding light, causing any opponent within its blast radius to become dizzy for a while. Has low start but heavy end lag with a large range. If it hits the opponent, it has the same effects as breaking a shields.

Side Special: Rocket Launcher -
(Normal: 17% Damage upon contact, 3% damage if hit with smoke from behind) Leon pulls out the Infinite rocket launcher and shoots it at the opponent. It has moderate start and end lag, with a linear path and large blast radius. Can blow up after a set amount of distance, and can also affect the user of the attack. Rockets can be picked up and used again.

(Special: 19-25% Damage upon contact, 5% damage if hit with smoke from behind) Leon pulls out a special rocket launcher and shoots it at the opponent. It has moderate start lag with low end lag, with a linear path and large blast radius that is more powerful in the center, producing immense knockback. It can meteor smash opponents if the center connects and can also affect the user of the attack. Cannot be picked up and used again. Has a 1/10 chance of happening.

Down Special: RDB -
(20-27% Damage depending on radius, 3% damage if hit from air) Leon takes out a Remote Detonated Bomb and places it to the ground. Low start up and end lag, with a large blast radius where the center is the most powerful and decent knockback. Can only be pulled out once. The bombs can also hurt Leon in the process and must be detonated at a certain range.

Up Special: Scarlet Terror/Piece of Mercury -
(10% Damage with first hit, 5% damage with second hit, with a total of 10-15% damage; 20% Damage if it hits on first few frames) Leon performs the Scarlet Terror attack, propelling him forward diagonally with two hitboxes. Low start and end lag with decent range and knockback. When in the first few frames of the attack, it deals 20% damage and high knockback, similar to Luigi's Fire Jump Punch, but instead deals electric damage. If the B button is pressed again, Leon performs the Piece of Mercury, resulting in a meteor smash. The attacks are nods to Vega's attacks from SSFIV.

Final Smash: P.R.L. 412 -
(50% Damage when hit) Leon takes out the Plaga Removal Laser 412, charges it and releases an instantaneous large blast that penetrates shields and dodges and causes 50% damage with an OHKO property. It, however, cannot hit behind Leon S. Kennedy, but can reach from one part of the stage to the other. It also blasts Leon a large distance (which is overly exaggerated in air) when the P.R.L. is shot.

Conclusion and Discussion:
In conclusion, though Leon may be a highly improbable character, he may fit well into the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS games. His attacks could be based on his explosive, knife and melee moves from the Resident Evil games, and the Street Fighter games, as well. But I would like to hear your thoughts about this third party possibility. Does this man have what it takes to be in Super Smash Bros. 4 and not be a clone of any character?

Please discuss and speculate.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
There's already a thread for Leon S. Kennedy, so you should repost this there. Otherwise, it looks pretty cool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's already a thread for Leon S. Kennedy, so you should repost this there. Otherwise, it looks pretty cool.
No, this is fine. The other one was locked due to an insufficient OP. This one's fine, though. It's Leon Powalski that has a thread.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
No, this is fine. The other one was locked due to an insufficient OP. This one's fine, though. It's Leon Powalski that has a thread.
The last Leon S. Kennedy thread was poorly made. Therefore, this thread will stay unlocked.
Well, I guess you're really set, buddy. Welcome to the boards and have fun with this thread!

Smady

Smash Master
A Resident Evil rep would be cool, and Leon's pretty much unarguably the best representative. Just one piece of advice for now: add a picture to the OP. Not everyone knows what the character looks like.

The moveset you posted was also decent enough, but the down special and up special felt a bit odd as choices. To be honest, even the rocket launcher is a bit odd, as that is basically the ultimate weapon in the series ever since the first game. Although using the knife, grenades and other generic weaponry from the games in the other moves was all well-placed enough. I'd probably put his melee combat on some of the standards (jab, dash) and aerials, while giving the knife to his tilts and leave the fancier weaponry to smashes and specials, where it fits best. I'm sure he could have a fun grab game as well, similar in animation to Snake's but with quirks unique to Leon and Resident Evil.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
A Resident Evil rep would be cool, and Leon's pretty much unarguably the best representative. Just one piece of advice for now: add a picture to the OP. Not everyone knows what the character looks like.

The moveset you posted was also decent enough, but the down special and up special felt a bit odd as choices. To be honest, even the rocket launcher is a bit odd, as that is basically the ultimate weapon in the series ever since the first game. Although using the knife, grenades and other generic weaponry from the games in the other moves was all well-placed enough. I'd probably put his melee combat on some of the standards (jab, dash) and aerials, while giving the knife to his tilts and leave the fancier weaponry to smashes and specials, where it fits best. I'm sure he could have a fun grab game as well, similar in animation to Snake's but with quirks unique to Leon and Resident Evil.
Well, I chose the Down Special to be the Remote Detonated bombs since those are among the only things Leon can necessarily place down in the Resident Evil games. His Up Special was chosen to be Vega's Scarlet Terror/Piece of Mercury since in the Resident Evil games, Leon lacks an attack or item that propels him upwards; Ada, of course, has her grappling hook, but it's never used by Leon. And as for the Side Special, Rocket Launcher, it was chosen in favor of the P.R.L. as a side special; that and the P.R.L. would not fit Side Special criteria, since it needs to charge. Since both can affect multiple opponents, I decided to give the Final Smash to the one weapon of Leon's that can kill more enemies in a widespread range, hence the P.R.L. 412 Final Smash.

I also do agree that his normal attacks could use his melee and knife attacks, and as such, this wouldn't make him a Snake, Fox or Falcon clone, should he be in the next Smash Bros. game. For Leon's probable grab game, his Up Throw would be his Roundhouse Kick, Down Throw is Sherry's Back Stomp, Forward Throw is his low kick, and Back Throw is his Suplex. His pummel could be hitting the opponent with the bottom of his knife.

But this is a prediction and not all this is bound to happen, even if Leon made it into the game.

Smady

Smash Master
Well, I chose the Down Special to be the Remote Detonated bombs since those are among the only things Leon can necessarily place down in the Resident Evil games. His Up Special was chosen to be Vega's Scarlet Terror/Piece of Mercury since in the Resident Evil games, Leon lacks an attack or item that propels him upwards; Ada, of course, has her grappling hook, but it's never used by Leon. And as for the Side Special, Rocket Launcher, it was chosen in favor of the P.R.L. as a side special; that and the P.R.L. would not fit Side Special criteria, since it needs to charge. Since both can affect multiple opponents, I decided to give the Final Smash to the one weapon of Leon's that can kill more enemies in a widespread range, hence the P.R.L. 412 Final Smash.

I also do agree that his normal attacks could use his melee and knife attacks, and as such, this wouldn't make him a Snake, Fox or Falcon clone, should he be in the next Smash Bros. game. For Leon's probable grab game, his Up Throw would be his Roundhouse Kick, Down Throw is Sherry's Back Stomp, Forward Throw is his low kick, and Back Throw is his Suplex. His pummel could be hitting the opponent with the bottom of his knife.

But this is a prediction and not all this is bound to happen, even if Leon made it into the game.
The reason why I disagree on the specials is not because they're bad moves, but because I feel that movesets should represent the native gameplay of their respective characters' series, and it's not the most respectful item for Leon to use on a common input. It's pretty rare you find a mine in the RE games, compared to say, Snake, who has a supply of dozens of claymores, mines and magazines he collects in his games. Of course things are different in recent REs, but I think if Leon was to get in, he'd be most unique if he represented the roots of the RE series, when ammo was scarce.

So I dunno, maybe the down special could be some sort of healing moves, maybe if you charge you use herbs? It certainly represents the RE series well; use that time scarcely when an opponent isn't attacking you, but if you abuse it, Leon is easily punished. Of course healing is always a little abusable in any fighting game, but I feel it'd emphasize a RE set better than the mine, and Leon would likely be the only RE character, so he can use things every character tends to do. As for the up special he only does it once or something right? I know he lacks a good recovery... maybe a superhero leap would fit best there? I know it's over-the-top, but again, it does represent a side of Leon pretty well, and he does it all the time in later games. Not quite as fun, and no more a good move than the Scarlet Terror. Good ideas for the grab game. Although like I said, I would try to put in elements of survival horror too, even in the standards, to differentiate him.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Ah, yes, maybe the whole "3 RDBs" was a bit too much, which would make Leon a bit overpowered if they are all used within a bit of themselves. But then again, if Herbs were put into Smash Bros. 4, they'd most likely be Items rather than a special by Leon because no healing item has been used by a Smash Bros. character as a special yet; only Ness and Lucas use PSI Magnet to heal.

And as for the Rocket Launcher, it is going by its roots from Resident Evil 4, where you can buy a ton or have the Infinite Rocket Launcher. However, to emphasize on how rare the Special Rocket Launcher would be, compare it to Luigi's Luigi Missile Attack, which has a 1/8 chance of misfiring. Leon's Special Rocket Launcher would have a 1/10 chance of coming out, and thus, producing immense knockback similar to Rest if hit with the center. The Special Rocket Launcher is basically from the roots of the earlier Resident Evil games, in that sense.

Smady

Smash Master
Making it chance-related isn't so bad, it's just that the logic is a bit antithetical to the philosophy of Resident Evil, that you have to work to unlock the more powerful weapons. It may make more sense if say, Leon had that move as a smash, and was pulling out a weapon during the charge time. Then when he charges full, he gets the rocket launcher weapon which is practically a one-hit KO or something. Although your way of doing it is just as valid, plenty of ways to approach the character.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Yes, back in the day, it would have been impossible to have him in Brawl because of Mega Man's 2nd place ranking (beaten by Sonic). But this time around, however, there's still a chance to have Leon could get in, if there are a few circumstances, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom