• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Syrup, Wario Land's Sultry Pirate Captain!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
CAPTAIN MAPLE SYRUP

THE CHARACTER
The only character with any merit in the Wario Land series besides the big man himself, Captain Syrup is Wario's sexy, yet cunning rival and nemesis. She is the main antagonist in the first (Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land) and second (simply Wario Land 2) Wario Land games, and also appears in Wario Land: Shake It!! as your "helper"...that is until she snatches the reward for herself.

THE SERIES
Since Sakurai has decided to ignore the much better Wario Land series when creating Wario, Syrup would bring said series to relevance within the Smash Bros. universe. Wario Land has some of the most lauded platformers in the history of Nintendo to its name; Wario's creative puzzles and odd mechanic of relying on the various types of damage enemies would inflict on him to change form were praised as brilliant. While this series as seemingly fallen by the wayside (following the mediocre Wario Land: Shake It!!), its legacy lives on within Wario himself, essentially giving him all of the character development and personality he's received and making him into the character he is today.

THE GOAL
Before continuing, I'd like you all to keep something in mind: this is assuming that Wario's moveset will not change to reflect the Wario Land series at all. This moveset and character's main goal is to capture the Wario Land series that Sakurai has decided Wario should not, and will be rendered null and void if Wario were to resemble his Project M iteration, or combine the two continuities into a moveset appealing to Wario's nostalgia and wackiness. Syrup stands to create both a worthy reference to the Wario Land series, as well as a uncouth and underhanded female character; not to mention she'd be the first female "villain" in the roster.

THE STATS
Moving on, let's talk about big bad Captain Syrup. As you can see from the picture above, she's not anywhere near the same stature as her beefy, crude counterpart, but very slim and trim. She would likely move very quickly and get around very well, and it seems from her proportions that her attacks likely wouldn't do much damage. However, Syrup is known for her various explosive weaponry (pirates seem to love bombs and cannonballs, don't they?), so odds are, she'd have a few attacks that would cause a big stir in crowds and, if they hit correctly, would send even the heaviest foes reeling. Her dodges would be lithe and quick, her attacks either fast and precise, or slow and sloppy.

THE MOVES
I'm no Smash Pro; I'm not going to try to trick anyone into thinking that. So I'd very gladly accept input from you fine Smash Brothers and Sisters on this. I'm only going to list her specials for now, because I'm not much for balancing and control; please submit ideas and such, and I'll gladly list them as well.

Standard Special: Shoulder Bash
Wario's signature move and all-around puzzle-solver, Capt. Syrup has picked up on this move from watching Wario's fat behind for so long. She charges forward at slightly-faster-than-sprinting speed, her shoulder lowered. Being that she's much lighter and more slender than the meaty millionaire, Syrup would don the Bull-Helmet from Wario Land I during the attack. This attack is very similar to Project M Wario's Side-B, and can transition into a jumping dash or cancel into a crouch. However, if someone makes contact with Syrup's spiky helmet during the attack, they'll be tossed straight up with minor damage and decent knockback, making jumping into foes from below a sound strategy. Using this move in midair will propel Syrup very slightly forward, but doesn't make her go prone. There is a delay after using the attack, not making it prime for repeated recovery use.

Side Special: Pirate Cannon
Syrup pulls a medium-sized cannon from seemingly nowhere, then fires a large, black bomb with a skull and crossbones on it in an arc forward. She cannot move while performing this attack, but moving the control stick will change the angle of that cannonball's arc. The bomb will explode if it hits someone in midair, but the damage and knockback aren't much to talk about. However, if you manage to land this awkward projectile on the ground next to someone, the explosion will be much more powerful and damaging, essentially making it good for blowing apart crowds or, at short range, making approach a little more difficult.

Down Special: Chubby Syrup
Syrup pulls out a big, juicy apple, scarfs it in one bite, then quickly inflates into a chubby, sweaty ball. She can barely move, but her weight is so great that attacks will barely affect her; all damage is reduced and knockback is nearly entirely negated. At high percentages, however, she will still be knocked away, and she cannot change back into regular Syrup in mid-air, so you're pretty well screwed if you get knocked off. Mostly because Chubby Syrup is HEAVY. She cannot jump on her own, but if you manage to waddle your way off a platform or use the attack in midair, and you'll be coming down like a star from the heavens, smashing everyone in your wake and creating shockwaves on impact. To change back to Syrup, repeatedly smash the special attack button and Syrup will work off the weight like the fit girl she is. The downside, obviously, is that Syrup becomes a big, fat punching bag, and even with reduced damage, you can still rack it up on her quickly.

Up Special: Allergic Syrup
Syrup somehow picked up Wario's horrible bee allergy; however, the swelling seems to have some positive effects, so she keeps a bee stinger on her at all times. With a tap of her Up-Special command, she pricks herself with it and swells in size; however, rather than gaining wait, she inflates like a balloon and floats upward. Oddly enough, others can actually stand on her while she's inflated; however, trying to attack Syrup while you're standing on her will result in you getting thrown off sharply in one direction as her plump form spins uselessly in midair, so don't get too greedy. Syrup will float up for a few seconds, then return to her normal size, helpless. If you're feeling evil, carry someone off the blast ceiling for a free Star KO.

Final Smash: The Sweet Stuff
They don't call her Captain Syrup for nothing! With a whistle, her mighty vessel, the Sweet Stuff, pulls into the foreground, manned by her various mooks from the Wario Land series. Firing cannonballs randomly onto the stage, it's easy to get lost in all the carnage, but don't worry; Syrup can't be hurt by her own crew. This lasts for about ten seconds, then the crew shoves off and the attack ends.

The Pros and Cons
Pros
+Represents an entirely unrepresented but popular and quality series, despite the main character of it appearing in Smash
+Another female character is always nice, but she's also a villain and doesn't retain the personality of any other female characters
+Save a possible Toon Zelda/Tetra, we have no pirates in Smash
+Nostalgia value
+Introduces newer players to an older series

Cons
-Not very well known
-Adds a rep to an admittedly small series while other, more popular series go underrepped
-Would probably lose out to another WarioWare rep
-Wario Land is currently a dormant, possibly dead sub-franchise

The End
There's your post, folks. If there's anything I missed, I'm terribly sorry and I'll get right on it. While Captain Syrup likely won't appear in Smash, it'll be nice to see what you good folks think of her as a character. I think the Wario Land series was way too good to go completely unmentioned in Smash, and if Wario's not going to rep it, Captain Syrup should.

Sweet Stuff Swabbies
PigmaskColonel
Princess Toady
KingShadow
Dreamking
BlindFox
Tepig2000
FalKoopa
Zero2570
Lanius Shrike
Mr. Boombastic
Freduardo
Golden Icarus
YoshiandToad
Andimidna
Smash Daddy
Shalashaska

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for this thread for almost a year now... It's about time she joined the fight! :bee:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
You can add me to the list of supporters lol.

For her Up B, she could use her genie, Denpu, to lift her up for example.

I'm not familiar with what she exactly does in the games (she does not appear in the Wario Land I have), but I'm sure she would be a great fighter. Plus she's another female and I tend to play exclusively female characters.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
We need more supporters! Make a supporters list, please. Also, are there any Captain Syrup support sig icons?

I think I'll make a moveset soon though, due to me having a slightly different moveset in mind.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You can add me to the list of supporters lol.

For her Up B, she could use her genie, Denpu, to lift her up for example.

I'm not familiar with what she exactly does in the games (she does not appear in the Wario Land I have), but I'm sure she would be a great fighter. Plus she's another female and I tend to play exclusively female characters.
She generally rides around in robots and commands her mooks to do things. There's not much as far as actual actions, so I drew from the Wario Land series as a whole and pirates in general. Her genie, though, I had forgotten about. He could certainly make an appearance in her moveset.

By the by, you should pick up the games you don't have on the E-shop. All of them are there besides 4, which is an Ambassador title. They're all excellent games, my personal favorite probably being Wario Land II.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I have the third and fourth ones, I'll probably look into it though !

And I see, I wasn't sure whether she was actually fighting or not. ^^

She reminds me a little of Shantae's nemesis, Risky... Well, it's more the other way around since Maple's was created before Risky.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Count me in as a Syrup supporter. I tried finding the moveset on my computer that I thought of for her, but I couldn't find it. Below is what I recall.

B: Pirate Bomb - Works like Link's SSB64 bomb. One can drop it and it won't go off until a few seconds afterward or will go off instantly if used as a smash attack. Here's the twist though. The bombs don't explode like bombs do. The effect is fire damage consistent with Ness' PK Fire. The bomb looks like Melee Link's but has a cartoony-like skull on it with a design consistent with her bird Bobo, the SS Teacup, etc.

B^: Owl - Would work like Snake's Cypher move, but Syrup is holding onto the Owl from WL2 and WL3.

B>: Dangerous Boomerang - Unlike Link's boomerang, this one can't be controlled. It moves in a circular pattern just like the Dangerous Duck's appearance in Wario Land or imagine Rolling Cutter from the Mega Man game.

Bv: Bottomless Coin Sack - Syrup brings out the Coin Sack and starts shaking it. Holding down and contuing tapping B results in more coins flying out. Range would be far.

Final Smash: Bobo - The giant bird from WL1 and WL 2 appears and flaps his wings. If Syrup is facing left. Bobo appears to the right of the screen and if Syrup faces right, Bobo appears on the left. Think of Landia's attack in Return to Dreamland of when he flaps his wings and those slashes go across the screen.

Entrance: Syrup comes in riding her machine from The Final Battle from Chapter 5 from WL2 which takes place in Syrup Castle.

Losing animation: She has a unique pose. Instead of clapping like most characters. She is on her knees looking steamed like when Wario defeats her in Wario Land.

This is what I have so far, but I hope to have win animations and taunts. She would be a speedy character along the style of Sheik.

PS: If she were to get in, she needs her original WL2 art as a palette swap which would probably work for green team.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, she didn't have a support thread until now? I'm bit disappointed.

Add me as a supporter.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
We need some sig icons, guys. Captain Syrup is definitely my fourth most wanted newcomer. Screw WarioWare, let's have some more Wario Land rep! Oh, and I'd also like to proudly say that I own all four original Wario Land titles in cartridge form. I also own Shake It!! just for kicks.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Give her a knife. Knife, canons, bombs, candy, gold. Make her a cutthroat Pirate girl. Make her Smash's Ruby Heart.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Captain Syrup could be a really cool character. Though I would imagine a moveset based more on a pirate theme. Like Shiek has ninja based moveset. Falcon has a Super Hero based moveset, and Fox's stuff is based on what the Arwing can do. I can see her using stuff like cannons, swords, and daggers to fight. Throw in some punches and kicks. And have her crew do the fighting for a Final Smash.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Captain Syrup could be a really cool character. Though I would imagine a moveset based more on a pirate theme. Like Shiek has ninja based moveset. Falcon has a Super Hero based moveset, and Fox's stuff is based on what the Arwing can do. I can see her using stuff like cannons, swords, and daggers to fight. Throw in some punches and kicks. And have her crew do the fighting for a Final Smash.
Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Even if I prefer the Idea of Wario being based on Warioland and getting a Warioware rep like Mona or Ashley, add me to the Sweet Stuff Swabbies!

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Even if I prefer the Idea of Wario being based on Warioland and getting a Warioware rep like Mona or Ashley, add me to the Sweet Stuff Swabbies!
That's a nice title there. Captain Syrup's Sweet Stuff Swabbies!

We need to get a mod to change the title! :p

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That's a nice title there. Captain Syrup's Sweet Stuff Swabbies!

We need to get a mod to change the title! :p
That's the name of the support list... :p

Ooooooh, yeah, I would definitely that prefer this. This is just assuming Wario doesn't change.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Add me to the support list, she'd be a cool wario villain.

Too bad all nintendo cares about are those lame wario ware games.... so she's probably unlikely.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
If we do get a new Wario rep, it would probably be Ashley, sadly. That's why Syrup isn't very likely in the end...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hells to the yeah. I can't believe that it took this long for her to get a thread... Heck, I'm surprised I never made one. Add me to the supporters list, she would be awesome.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I agree, she'd be great. Can't be that dead of a franchise if she just had a Wii entry.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Even though I'd prefer that we got a WarioWare rep like Jimmy T. and have Wario's moveset be changed to represent the Wario Land games. This would still be a great alternative. I support.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Syrup didn't have a support thread until January of this year?

Seriously?

Alright count me in as a supporter. Honestly the only Wario character I'd be excited to see is Syrup.

andimidna

Smash Master
Captain Syrup didn't have a support thread until January of this year?

Seriously?

Alright count me in as a supporter. Honestly the only Wario character I'd be excited to see is Syrup.
I think most just thought it would be Ashley (or Mona), looks like this thread was made around Ashley's deconfirmation...

I agree she deserved much sooner though.
I mean, a Honey Queen thread existed not to long after this one :troll:

Smady

Smash Master
I'd hope so. Wario Land deserves a rep when Wario is his flatulent oh so funny WarioWare self. Syrup also has any potential. Sign me up.

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't anybody supporting Captain Syrup? :sadeyes: One ninja on the roster without having a pirate is too much but now there is two ninjas? This will not do! People think is all about "Ninjas vs Samurais" but the true battle lies in the ever so popular "Ninjas vs Pirates" where there is even a Wikipedia article on the matter. We need more pirates on the roster to "even it out" by having Captain Syrup (and Tetra) on the roster so we can finally have the popular battle and decide who is truly greater Pirate or Ninja?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Supported. Definitely, this game needs a pirate. As much as I love warioware, I'm gonna have to agree with Shalashaska.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Why isn't anybody supporting Captain Syrup? :sadeyes: One ninja on the roster without having a pirate is too much but now there is two ninjas? This will not do! People think is all about "Ninjas vs Samurais" but the true battle lies in the ever so popular "Ninjas vs Pirates" where there is even a Wikipedia article on the matter. We need more pirates on the roster to "even it out" by having Captain Syrup (and Tetra) on the roster so we can finally have the popular battle and decide who is truly greater Pirate or Ninja?
Maybe Ridley really is playable, he's so big he can count as like 5 pirates. I only know who Captain Syrup is because of the prerelase brawl days. Seems like she was actually a decently popular pick, or at least had a pretty active group of supporters. keeping attention on her. I'd be lying if I said I she had a good chance, but she would be a welcome character if she did manage to get in. You can rarely go wrong with a (fictional) Sultry Pirate.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does anyone think she could use a weapon? Maybe something standard for Pirates, like a curved sword, or a dagger. Though I guess it's not entirely necessary.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I support! Now that Sheik and Greninja are in, we can have a pirate vs. ninja battle or event!

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
K. Rool counts as a pirate - a tagteam of Rool and Syrup vs Greninja and Shiek would be sweet.

In fact, Captain Syrup is in a verrryyy K. Rool-like situation. She appears as the main antagonist for quite a few Wario games then seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. While K. Rool would probably be the more popular of the two due to his personality/potential, if Syrup made a few more appearances prior to her disappearance (i.e. the other 2 Wario games and maybe a few WarioWare cameos), I'd say she'd have a very similar fanbase.

In fact, perfect way to reintroduce Syrup into the WarioWare mythos - have her be pirating Wario's games!

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I've had her in my sig for a while now. It would be nice to have a female villain (or at least troublemaker), especially being that she's a pirate. I could honestly see her in as another crazy pick (except not as crazy as WFT say) if we got something like a new Wario platformer for WiiU at E3.

Top Bottom