• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character would help sell the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about one of the criteria Sakurai mentioned, "a character has to make someone want to play the game", what characters would do so? For Third Party characters this is obvious so let's focus on Ninty's own

Looking back on the previous cast (Only going to do starters or we'll be here all day)

Mario: Biggest selling franchise of all time, many grew up with him
Donkey Kong: Besides the arcade nostalgia, Donkey Kong Cuntry was a big hit and best seller
Yoshi: Kid-appeal character
Link: Another big series, less kiddy than others
Samus: The series had no games in a while but Super Metroid was still a big deal
Fox: Out of the cockpit for the first time (Take that Star fox Adventures)
Kirby: His power stealing translated into crazy matches.
Pikachu: Before the Wii, Pokemon was Nintendo's licence to print money

Bowser: The first playable baddies plus he's a huge dragon/turtle
Peach: See the princess kick but with her but, rounds out the Mario cast
Zelda/Sheik: Shows off character swapping transformation, helps us explain to annoying people that zelda is the princess, not the green dude.
Ice Climbers: Shows off their unique gameplay, represents retro Nintendo

This is where things get long winded as almost all newcomers were revealed beforehand in Brawl

Meta Knight: Fan Favourite, shown early to explain significance of Halberd
Pit: Both retro and showing off a swanky new design
Wario: Long awaited addition
Ike: Characater of the most recent Fire Emblem, more familiar internationally
Pokemon Trainer: 3 Pokemon in one *******! OR we finally found a way to make Charizard playable
Diddy Kong: See Wario
Lucas: Mother 3 was considered something of a masterpiece
Dedede: Now the Kirby family is complete
Olimar: A wanted yet unexpected character.

Comparing the starters to the unlockables, with one or two exceptions, the starters are much better at shifting the game. No where is this more apparent than in Brawl, let's look at the non-veteran unlocks.

Lucario: Almost too expected, we all saw it coming
ROB: Obligitory WTF unlockable (see MrG&W, Ness)
Wolf: Another Space Animal?
Toon Link: See Lucario

What does this mean for Smash 4? Let's look at these points and apply them to the revealed newcomers then to some popular predictions

Villager: Similar to Olimar, AC games are best sellers
Wii Fit Trainer: Wii Fit is Nintendo's best selling new series, maybe trick some casual players into buying (and enjoying) the game.
Mega Man: Convinces core gamers that this game has something special to offer, brings in Capcom fans desperate for new MM game.
Ridley & Palutena: Both fan favorites which would boost two single character series.
Little Mac: Another beloved retro, albeit one that had a comeback.
Dixie & King K. Rool: Both appeal to the now prevelant DKC nostalgia
Shulk & Issac: JRPG characters in a game without the long winded cutscenes

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't feel Nintendo has any real heavy hitters left beyond Ridley and maybe Little Mac. It's already seeming a bit questionable that Ridley will be playable so who knows what Sakurai is after.

After those two based on what people request Mewtwo, King K Rool and Palutena.

After all of those we come to getting hype from the more niche fan bases like Isaac, Shulk and some other retros like Lip or Takamaru. Maybe their fan bases aren't as big as many other Nintendo franchises but they'd make a lot of noise regardless.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
According to everyone: their favorite character.

Extra applyable to Ridley fans.

Really, the only characters that REALLY would have helped Smash a little have been in since the beginning: Mario, Link, DK, Kirby and Pikachu mostly. Sonic and some other certain newcomers could've generated more hype, but I honestly doubt that ONE character would help sell the game more.

Seriously, Smash will always be advertised and seen as 'Mario vs Pikachu' with a chance of 'Oh, Link, DK, Sonic and Mega Man are also there'.

Think that overall, Pikachu might have gained Smash the most regocnision cause Pokémon was HUGE back when 64 was released. So honestly, I think Pikachu is the only character that really got in cause of potential in rise of sales. And that was in 64. Now, Smash will just sell cause it's Smash. End pf story.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ridley's playable inclusion may spike some interests, but I think that it's mostly the representation of the top four franchises (Super Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Kirby) that offer the most attention.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kirby isn't a top franchise. DKC is noticably bigger, and even Wii Fit is bigger at the moment than Kirby.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmmm... Maybe it's the accumulative effect of the new characters. Not so much in themselves but the fact that they're their gives a tangible difference from previous versions. Any of you had a hard time explaining why you think melee is better when it doesn't have Mario vs Sonic in it? Or that you can't

As for individual characters I'd say the opposite effect was true for Earthbound, F-Zero, Fire Emblem and especially Kid Icarus.

The characters that sell are Mario, Link, Pikachu, the rest of the original 8, Sonic & Mega Man. Wii Fit trainer may get a few Wii Fit fans to try the game out though.

I guess the audience for "a character that would want to make someone buy the game" is someone who's on the fence.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sonic and some other certain newcomers could've generated more hype, but I honestly doubt that ONE character would help sell the game more.
There's quite a good chunk of Sonic fans who have bought Brawl just because of Sonic. Sonic is the one newcomer since the series' start that has literally sold more copies.

Otherwise it's more like a combination of characters. Meta Knight for example doesn't sell Brawl alone, but combined with Dedede, Diddy Kong, Snake, Pit, Wario, Pokémon Trainer (Charizard) and the rest of the Brawl newcomers, they sold the game to many people.

It's the cast of newcomers who sell the games, not one character specifically, unless you're a certain blue hedgehog. Of course each character adds something to the newcomer cast, so individual characters are important in their own right, but at this point I don't believe any character can sell the game alone, the only ones who have ever been able to do so are the Original 8 (Yoshi is debatable) and Sonic.

So even if Mega Man is in he still needs the support of other great newcomer choices, which is why we're still anticipating characters like Ridley, K. Rool, Palutena, Little Mac, etc. So yeah, there's my answer, the ones that'd help sell the game to hardcore Nintendo fans are the 4 I just mentioned, and no doubt Pac-Man and Mii would also help sell the game to casuals in the same spirit that WFT and Villager are doing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd argue Mega Man himself has already sold many copies but not nearly as much as Sonic did for Brawl.

I think that may be why people focus on expanding the casts of existing series. They got what they want, just want more of it. Indeed the only other Newcomers from New series that are on my list are Little Mac and Shulk.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
the only character I think that could probably help sell the game would be ridley, mainly to gamers you would be playing as samus's arch enemy, the huge purple space dragon, that can do everything dragons can do, and for non gamers and/or casuals, you'll be playing as a huge f***ing space dragon, I'm positive his inclusion would spark some interest, though I can't guarantee it
Kirby isn't a top franchise. DKC is noticably bigger, and even Wii Fit is bigger at the moment than Kirby.
well that is true, for Nintendo standards,
but for smash the top franchises are Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokémon, Kirby is treated as an important franchise, and gets largely represented in smash, and also this just might be me but, I always felt that Kirby out represented donkey Kong country, heck I felt like star fox even out represented it, now that's sad :ohwell:
Wolf: Another Space Animal?
untitled.png

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
If Banjo and Kazooie were somehow bought back and included, this game would sell like candy.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I apologise for the size of this post, but I've been giving it some thought for a while myself;

Amongst people who wouldn't usually pick up Smash I actually can't think of a single character.
Ridley isn't exactly someone everyone on the planet knows about, nor is Little Mac. Are they popular with people who were already going to get Smash? Yes. No frigging clue if they'd be able to entice newcomers in though.

I'd hazard non smash fans wouldn't buy a game because these characters were in it. I didn't even know who Palutena was prior to Uprising(or Brawl technically with her cutscene and being in Pit's FS), and the only reason I heard about Uprising was because I'm a Nintendo fan. If I say Kid Icarus to a non Nintendo fan, chances are they won't even know what that is so an additional character from the series(or rather Uprising; I doubt the first two games will factor into people wanting a KI newcomer) probably won't make much of a dent.

------------------------------------------------------

As previously said by others; Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and DK/Kirby newcomers may be able to grab some newcomers in, but three of those series already have their big players; Mario, Zelda and Kirby.
Granted there are a few additional members from each series that might help sell the game(Toad/Bowser Jr./Waluigi/Rosalina/Paper Mario, Tingle/Tetra/Impa/Vaati/Villain of the week, Waddle Dee/...err...Gooey or Daroach at a stretch?), but the Smash community thinks they're completed for the most part.

So that leaves...Pokemon and DK:

The most popular Pokemon of all time is Charizard, and he's already in. Pikachu is the best known Pokemon, and already in. Whose left that's not already in Brawl? Mewtwo obviously, Meowth who is at least known from the current day anime, Blaziken(largely popular) and maybe a few of the newer Pokemon for those who aren't as familiar with Red/Blue as we are.

DK has K. Rool and Dixie, which might help bring a few newcomers in. But that's about it. Tiny and Funky probably have a few fans, but they're less likely to bring in more sales than the formers.

------------------------------------------------------

Arguably the 3rd parties have the potential to bring in people who wouldn't ordinarily Smash.
Sonic probably sold a boat load of copies on his name alone, especially since Mario Vs. Sonic was always the dream battle of children everywhere.

Snake might of but all the MGS fans I personally knew owned PS3s instead of Wiis.

Megaman will probably sell a few, but chances are if you were a fan of Megaman you were probably a Nintendo gamer anyway.

Fans of non represented series may get a kick out of inclusions like Shulk and Isaac though which may boost sales a tiny bit, but it's not going to be anything drastic.

Perhaps ironically the ones who will be selling this game to newcomers are the same ones that have in the past: Mario vs. Sonic is still appealing, the Mario and Pokemon cast alone will probably be enough to entice new Smashers in with one's like Link and Kirby being the icing on the cake.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Thinking about one of the criteria Sakurai mentioned, "a character has to make someone want to play the game", what characters would do so?
It's not so much selling, but more like a character that will appeal to potential players. You know, the prospective of gameplay and diversity and all those fancy pretty words.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
It's not so much selling, but more like a character that will appeal to potential players. You know, the prospective of gameplay and diversity and all those fancy pretty words.
so in other words . . . .

and probably some other ones, but he is the first one to come to my mind :ohwell:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
If they want the best of sales that come from FE, they should probably add Chrom or Roobin.
and again, this is not about sales, this is about how the character would make people buy it, wither its through play style, looks, popularity, gameplay, or some other factor, just because Chrom or robin came from the game with the most sales, doesn't make people want them or play as them enough, just to buy the game for them

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
and again, this is not about sales, this is about how the character would make people buy it, wither its through play style, looks, popularity, gameplay, or some other factor, just because Chrom or robin came from the game with the most sales, doesn't make people want them or play as them enough, just to buy the game for them
But it is a BIT about sales, isn't it? Because we're on about which character would make non smashers buy it.

This is a bit on an awkward one actually, because for many people Chrom and Robin would be the stars of the very first Fire Emblem they played, as it was easier to get into than most previous installments; or more newbie friendly.

If they enjoyed Awakening, there's a chance a playable Chrom or Robin would make them want to get the game and could be a big draw. At the end of the day, a lot of the more casual Smashers won't care if a character adds something new and exciting gameplay wise; they're more interested in fighting it out as their favourite character. Chrom probably doesn't give us much new to play with(nor does Roy before anyone calls me out on this) but if that character is important to the potential buyer they're more likely to invest their cash into the game and the series.

For example; I originally wasn't going to bother getting a Wii U after hearing Smash was for the 3DS too. Especially if there was no newcomer that excited me. Why would I buy a brand new games console and a game if I could just buy the 3DS version instead with the same line up? I've found other reasons since to get a Wii U(no prizes for which game I'm excited for) but the fact I get to play as a character I've enjoyed playing as in the past and not had the opportunity to in single player for ages is a huge boost for me. Potential customers will be the same.

Just inserting some reality into the discussion.
Unfortunately Electric Mouse is right; look at Miiverse and you can see the amount of people clamouring for more Sonic reps and anime characters with no regard for what Smash is meant to be. Adding them would help sell the game, at the cost of Smash's integrity as a Nintendo All Stars fighter.

I wonder if Sakurai ever curses the day he added Snake and opened the floodgates for every third party and fourth party candidate under the sun.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena.
The Big 5 of course. Add all 5 and you can sell the game to anybody.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What about Simon Belmont? Would the Castlevania crowd jump right into SSB4 if he were announced?
Or is said fanbase not big/strong enough to make up for the hassle of having him in?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Mewtwo, perhaps? I'm not too big on Pokemon, but from what I understand Mewtwo has been getting a lot of attention lately due to his new design and his recent movie.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think some characters, like say, Goku, will make many casuals and Dragonball fanboys flock to the game, but drive hardcore Smash fans like us away.
So overall, 4th parties and too many 3rd parties won't help or hurt. There's no use really.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
This is a bit on an awkward one actually, because for many people Chrom and Robin would be the stars of the very first Fire Emblem they played, as it was easier to get into than most previous installments; or more newbie friendly.

If they enjoyed Awakening, there's a chance a playable Chrom or Robin would make them want to get the game and could be a big draw. At the end of the day, a lot of the more casual Smashers won't care if a character adds something new and exciting gameplay wise; they're more interested in fighting it out as their favourite character. Chrom probably doesn't give us much new to play with(nor does Roy before anyone calls me out on this) but if that character is important to the potential buyer they're more likely to invest their cash into the game and the series.

For example; I originally wasn't going to bother getting a Wii U after hearing Smash was for the 3DS too. Especially if there was no newcomer that excited me. Why would I buy a brand new games console and a game if I could just buy the 3DS version instead with the same line up? I've found other reasons since to get a Wii U(no prizes for which game I'm excited for) but the fact I get to play as a character I've enjoyed playing as in the past and not had the opportunity to in single player for ages is a huge boost for me. Potential customers will be the same.
ya I guess that is correct mate, even I can say I was in a similar situation with brawl,
back then, I've just recently played fire emblem path of radiance, and when I saw that ike was in brawl, I lost all nerve and told myself that I'm immediately buying that game (I mean I was defiantly buying the game, but I wanted it even more after that) and ike just ended up being one of my favorite characters in brawl, and is my favorite character in fire emblem.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ya I guess that is correct mate, even I can say I was in a similar situation with brawl,
back then, I've just recently played fire emblem path of radiance, and when I saw that ike was in brawl, I lost all nerve and told myself that I'm immediately buying that game (I mean I was defiantly buying the game, but I wanted it even more after that) and ike just ended up being one of my favorite characters in brawl, and is my favorite character in fire emblem.
Very much the same; I had been waiting for Wario and Diddy since Smash 64. When I saw they were both in AND Pokemon Trainer(best idea; include three hugely popular/well known Pokemon in one character) I pretty much started throwing my money at the screen. Sonic was pretty much the cherry on the top of the iced cake for me.

However now I'm on the other side of the fence, I can't work out what character would make the non Smash fans pick up a copy and get into it...

Maybe the Miis?

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Very much the same; I had been waiting for Wario and Diddy since Smash 64. When I saw they were both in AND Pokemon Trainer(best idea; include three hugely popular/well known Pokemon in one character) I pretty much started throwing my money at the screen. Sonic was pretty much the cherry on the top of the iced cake for me.

However now I'm on the other side of the fence, I can't work out what character would make the non Smash fans pick up a copy and get into it...

Maybe the Miis?
ya probably, though I still have to lean over to ridley just because of his design, I know quite a lot of people who would buy a game, just because of a dragon
also off topic: its good to see another person who actually liked the idea of Pokémon trainer, a lot of people don't like him or would rather have him gone for newcomers
thank you my good friend, another person who detest the mii is a good person in my book!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Maybe the Miis?
The customizability of the Miis is what might attract the customers, but not the actual character itself.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
thank you my good friend, another person who detest the mii is a good person in my book!
I don't hate Miis as much as everyone else.
I'm just saying that the casuals on Miiverse really want to see Goku.
Although they are nowhere near the top of my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom