• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Daitoryo is good and all, but... Rain Man for Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
NOTE: Credit to BridgesWithTurtles for the whole idea. I just stepped up and made a thread for him.

Well... The most recent "trendy character" around Smashboards is Daitoryo, who is a character based on Napoleon that represents Nintendo's beginnings as a company, Hanafuda cards. Go check out the thread if you need more details. But the character was based on Napoleon, who DID kill people, so it could bring a bad taste in people's mouths. (not like Villager doesn't though... :troll:)

However, the idea of a Hanafuda rep is a great idea, so I didn't know what to think. But then I saw a post from BridgesWithTurtles about the idea about Ono no Michikaze (Rain Man), who is a character from a Hanafuda playing card in the November suit. He is based on a Japanese calligrapher (who didn't kill people). Here is the picture of the card for reference:

And here are some ideas for his moveset:

[COLLAPSE=By me]B (Lightning): Rain Man charges a bolt of lightning in his hands, and fires it as a long bolt of electricity, the more charged, the longer the bolt.
Side B (Free Bird): Rain Man releases a bird from his hands that fly around and peck enemies, dealing damage each time they hit. They can be killed, though. The type of bird is randomized from these choices:
  • Butterfly: Fastest, but weakest bird in terms of both pecking and health. It has a 50% chance of appearing.
  • Cuckoo: A little slower but stronger then the butterflies. It has a 25% chance of appearing.
  • Goose: As slow as the Cuckoo and as weak as the Butterfly, but it shoots eggs as a ranged attack instead of pecking. It has a 15% chance of appearing.
  • Crane: A very slow bird, but does very high amounts of damage with pecking. It has a 8% chance of appearing.
  • Chinese Phoenix: Even slower than the Crane, it shoots fireballs that do very high amounts of damage. It also had the highest HP out of all the birds. It has a measly 2% chance of appearing.
Up B (Frog Hop):Use this once to turn into a frog. Press A or B to jump really high as a frog. Doing this will revert Rain Man to his human form.
Down B (Boar Kick): Rain Man transforms into a boar and kicks his hind legs while spinning around, doing a lot of damage and knockback.
Final Smash (Rain Dance): Rain Man starts dancing with his umbrella, causing rain to fall. Like PK Starstorm, but the raindrops are smaller and there are more of them.[/COLLAPSE]
[collapse=By BridgesWithTurtles]
  • Jab: Ribbon: Rainman whips the opponent with a whip-like ribbon, continually if the button is held. 2-4% per hit.
  • Ledge Attack: Ribbon: Pulls a ribbon out from underneath the opponent, tripping them. 4%
  • Ledge Attack (Strong): Ribbon: Forcefully cracks a ribbon on the foe like a whip. 5%
  • Dash Attack: Dock: A small, personal-sized wooden dock appears underneath Rainman as he rolls across it, bashing into foes. He re-positions himself gracefully after the attack. 10=11%
  • Ftilt: Crane: Multi-part attack. First, Rainman goes into a crane martial arts stance, which deals no damage. Then, he strikes forward with an open palm, pushing the foe backward (5%). If continued, he sends out an actual crane, which flies forward and hits the foe (7%). Forceful and a great damage-racker.
  • Utilt: Cherry Blossom: Raises his free hand, from which a burst of cherry blossoms appear. Similar in effect to Peach’s Utilt. 13%
  • Dtilt: Cuckoo: A cuckoo swoops down and hits at Rainman’s feet. Can be read but has no cooldown. 10%
  • Fsmash: Iris: Causes a patch of iris grass with a flower to rise up in front of him. 12-18%
  • Usmash: Moon: Smoothly arcs his free arm above his head, bringing a miniature floating moon along with it. Slow but reliable kill move. 20-27%
  • Dsmash: Curtain: Facing the screen, brings both arms down simultaneously, causing a curtain to appear and close, following his motion. Quick and forceful with a bit of end lag. 13-19%
  • Nair: Butterflies: Twirls around with yellow butterflies circling around him. 12%
  • Fair: Geese: Three small geese, each capable of hitting, swoop down in front of Rainman before disappearing. A great edge guarding move. 13%
  • Bair: Maple: Throws a mess of red, yellow, and black maple leaves behind him. Comes out fast. 13%
  • Uair: Bush Clover: Holds up an open palm, and vines of bush clover sprout upward. 12%
  • Dair: Wysteria: Casts an open palm downward, sending short wysteria vines straight below. Good priority. 11-13%
  • Grab: Ribbon: Grabs with a long ribbon. Can be used as a tether.
  • Pummel: Chrysanthemum: Slowly hits with a chrysanthemum branch. 4%
  • Fthrow: Deer: A stag appears, ramming the foe forward with its antlers. Good KO move. 15%
  • Bthrow: Plum Blossom: Casually walks forward as a plum branch appears where he was, holds it back with one hand, and launches the foe from it. 13%
  • Uthrow: Pine: Conjures a small pine tree to rise from beneath the foe and propel them skyward. 15%
  • Dthrow: Pampas Grass: Lays the foe on the ground, raises his hand, and causes grass to grow beneath them, hitting them as it rises up. 10%
Neutral Special: Rain Frog:Holds out an open hand, and a frog appears in it. The frog jumps forward, hitting anyone in front of Rainman. Weak and predictable, but can be annoying. 8%

Side Special: Boar: Sends a small boar running forward. The boar will keep running until it goes out of bounds or falls off the stage. There can only be one boar on the stage at once. Fast with good knockback. 12-16%

Up Special: Swallow: Shrouds himself in his umbrella, then reappears as a swallow, flying in any direction inputted.

Down Special: Lightning: Casts a bolt of lightning down in front of him, similar to Pikachu’s Thunder, with less vertical range and power. 25%

Final Smash: Phoenix: Anyone above Rainman is frozen in place. Clouds part, and a stylized sun bursts out from behind them. As the screen brightens, stylized rays of light shine upon Rainman, and calligraphic flowers bloom at his feet. From these flowers rises a red phoenix, which boosts straight upward. Likely a KO for anyone the attack was initiated on.[/collapse]

Supporter List: Fortanono, Keybladeguy, BluePikmin11, AlRex, SuperBrawler, BridgesWithTurtles, Pacack, Tepig2000

So that's my idea, hope you like it, if you don't, don't flame me, yadda yadda yadda. Peace out!

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I actually think this is good. I'll support.

Although, Daitoryo is not Napoleon.
Thanks for your support! And Daitoryo is based on Napoleon, but hey, it would still be a cool character!

EDIT: BluePikmin, I'll add you too.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I like this. And I also thought that this was the one that was suggested before Daitoryo. Yes, you can add me as a supporter.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Glad to see this idea getting more attention, though I still wish there was just a general "Hanafuda characters" thread that all of this stuff could be merged into.

Here's a moveset I made a long time ago. It's terribly lacking in detail, but who knows? Maybe it has something of interest in it. All of the attacks are taken from a different card in the traditional Hanafuda deck.

• Jab: Ribbon: Rainman whips the opponent with a whip-like ribbon, continually if the button is held. 2-4% per hit.
  • Ledge Attack: Ribbon: Pulls a ribbon out from underneath the opponent, tripping them. 4%
  • Ledge Attack (Strong): Ribbon: Forcefully cracks a ribbon on the foe like a whip. 5%
  • Dash Attack: Dock: A small, personal-sized wooden dock appears underneath Rainman as he rolls across it, bashing into foes. He re-positions himself gracefully after the attack. 10=11%
  • Ftilt: Crane: Multi-part attack. First, Rainman goes into a crane martial arts stance, which deals no damage. Then, he strikes forward with an open palm, pushing the foe backward (5%). If continued, he sends out an actual crane, which flies forward and hits the foe (7%). Forceful and a great damage-racker.
  • Utilt: Cherry Blossom: Raises his free hand, from which a burst of cherry blossoms appear. Similar in effect to Peach’s Utilt. 13%
  • Dtilt: Cuckoo: A cuckoo swoops down and hits at Rainman’s feet. Can be read but has no cooldown. 10%
  • Fsmash: Iris: Causes a patch of iris grass with a flower to rise up in front of him. 12-18%
  • Usmash: Moon: Smoothly arcs his free arm above his head, bringing a miniature floating moon along with it. Slow but reliable kill move. 20-27%
  • Dsmash: Curtain: Facing the screen, brings both arms down simultaneously, causing a curtain to appear and close, following his motion. Quick and forceful with a bit of end lag. 13-19%
  • Nair: Butterflies: Twirls around with yellow butterflies circling around him. 12%
  • Fair: Geese: Three small geese, each capable of hitting, swoop down in front of Rainman before disappearing. A great edge guarding move. 13%
  • Bair: Maple: Throws a mess of red, yellow, and black maple leaves behind him. Comes out fast. 13%
  • Uair: Bush Clover: Holds up an open palm, and vines of bush clover sprout upward. 12%
  • Dair: Wysteria: Casts an open palm downward, sending short wysteria vines straight below. Good priority. 11-13%
  • Fthrow: Deer: A stag appears, ramming the foe forward with its antlers. Good KO move. 15%
  • Bthrow: Plum Blossom: Casually walks forward as a plum branch appears where he was, holds it back with one hand, and launches the foe from it. 13%
  • Uthrow: Pine: Conjures a small pine tree to rise from beneath the foe and propel them skyward. 15%
  • Dthrow: Pampas Grass: Lays the foe on the ground, raises his hand, and causes grass to grow beneath them, hitting them as it rises up. 10%
Neutral Special: Rain Frog:Holds out an open hand, and a frog appears in it. The frog jumps forward, hitting anyone in front of Rainman. Weak and predictable, but can be annoying. 8%

Side Special: Boar: Sends a small boar running forward. The boar will keep running until it goes out of bounds or falls off the stage. There can only be one boar on the stage at once. Fast with good knockback. 12-16%

Up Special: Swallow: Shrouds himself in his umbrella, then reappears as a swallow, flying in any direction inputted.

Down Special: Lightning: Casts a bolt of lightning down in front of him, similar to Pikachu’s Thunder, with less vertical range and power. 25%

Final Smash: Phoenix: Anyone above Rainman is frozen in place. Clouds part, and a stylized sun bursts out from behind them. As the screen brightens, stylized rays of light shine upon Rainman, and calligraphic flowers bloom at his feet. From these flowers rises a red phoenix, which boosts straight upward. Likely a KO for anyone the attack was initiated on.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Glad to see this idea getting more attention, though I still wish there was just a general "Hanafuda characters" thread that all of this stuff could be merged into.

Here's a moveset I made a long time ago. It's terribly lacking in detail, but who knows? Maybe it has something of interest in it. All of the attacks are taken from a different card in the traditional Hanafuda deck.

Final Smash: Phoenix: Anyone above Rainman is frozen in place. Clouds part, and a stylized sun bursts out from behind them. As the screen brightens, stylized rays of light shine upon Rainman, and calligraphic flowers bloom at his feet. From these flowers rises a red phoenix, which boosts straight upward. Likely a KO for anyone the attack was initiated on.
I saw that on a different website. You made that? Either way I'll add it to the OP. And I've added all you too.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord

how about hanafuda item's cards? one card appear and awesome stuff occur, rain and such.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sorry, but Rain Man is just too non-Nintendo for me. It has more to do with Hanafuda than Nintendo hanafuda. Not to mention I am the owner of the Daitoryo thread. Regardless, you have my support. I would love this guy, too.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Sorry, but Rain Man is just too non-Nintendo for me. It has more to do with Hanafuda than Nintendo hanafuda. Not to mention I am the owner of the Daitoryo thread. Regardless, you have my support. I would love this guy, too.
Added!

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I support.
I'm creating a really diverse 9-volt moveset with some ultra-obscure references (like the famicom disk system), and i'm going to have an attack where he hits you with an umbrella and throws a bird at you :yeahboi:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Rain Man's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom