• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Square-Enix Character Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Hello, and welcome to the one-stop discussion topic for all things Square-Enix! If you don't know who the company is or why they should have a character in Super Smash Bros, then you've come to the right place. So let's get started, shall we?

What is Square-Enix?
(NOTE: I'll be using the Japanese names for consoles for games that were not released outside of Japan.)
Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, there were two companies that were the juggernauts of the RPG genre. Squaresoft, which created franchises such as Final Fantasy, SaGa, and Secret of Mana, and Enix which created franchises such as Dragon Quest and Star Ocean. The two companies merged into one on April 1st, 2003 (Naturally, many thought it was an April Fools Joke), and while other companies such as Atlus and Intelligent Systems have been creating some amazing RPGs, Square-Enix is still a powerhouse developer due to owning the two biggest Japanese RPG franchises: Final Fanasy and Dragon Quest.

Why should they have a character in Super Smash Bros.?
Both Square and Enix have had long, deep, and close histories with Nintendo. Here's a small sample of the history that this company has had with Nintendo throughout the years:

Squaresoft's History with Nintendo:
+ Started the Final Fantasy series in 1987 on the Famicom. They released Final Fantasy II and III on the Famicom, IV, V, and VI on the Super Famicom, and co-developed Super Mario RPG on the SNES.

+ Started the SaGa trilogy on the Game Boy (Released in America as Final Fantasy Legend), as well as the Romancing SaGa trilogy on the Super Famicom.

+ Started the Seiken Densetsu series on the Game Boy (Final Fantasy Adventure), which was followed up with Secret of Mana on the SNES and the Japan exclusive Seiken Densetsu 3.

+ Started the Front Mission series with Front Mission and Front Mission: Gun Hazard on the Super Famicom.

+ Created several smaller series/one-off titles such as Chrono Trigger, Live-A-Live, Bahamut Lagoon, and Secret of Evermore on the Super Famicom/SNES.

Enix's History with Nintendo:
+ Started the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series on the Famicom in 1986. Also, Dragon Warrior was given away in a Nintendo Power contest when it was first released in America in 1989.

+ Started the Itadaki/Fortune Street series on the Famicom.

+ Started the Star Ocean series on the Super Famicom.

+ Started the Ogre Battle series on the SNES.

+ Released several smaller/one-off titles on the SNES such as ActRaiser, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.

Square-Enix's History with Nintendo:
+ Started the Nintendo exclusive Final Fantasy spin-off series Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube and Tactics Advance on the Game Boy Advance.

+ Released ports/remakes of Final Fantasy I-VI and Dragon Quest I-VII on Nintendo's portable systems.

+ Co-developed Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Sports Mix, and Fortune Street (All three games feature crossovers between Mario and Square-Enix characters.)

+ Released several games in the Kingdom Hearts series on Nintendo's portable consoles.

+ Started The World Ends With You on DS.

+ Released Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (25th anniversary game) on 3DS.

If Square-Enix got a character, who could it be?
While Square-Enix has many popular and successful games and franchises, like other third-party companies they will most likely only have one character representing them. When Square and Enix merged, they stated that Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest would be the three pillars of the company, and since third-party characters in Smash tend to be from big flagship franchises, it is safe to assume that a Square-Enix character will be from one of these three franchises. (Source for those who don't believe/haven't heard this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/04/01/square-enixs-first-words)

(Continued in next post)

Ascended

Smash Ace
Essentially the first console RPG series, many of the designs and tropes of the genre can be traced back to Dragon Quest. Since the original release in 1987, the series has seen nine numbered sequels, with only one not being available on a Nintendo platform (That would be 2004's/2005's Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, which was and still is a PlayStation 2 exclusive). In addition to this, several Dragon Quest characters have made appearances in the Square-Enix developed Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street. This section of the topic will talk about possible representatives from the Dragon Quest franchise.​
Popularity
First, according to a 2010 poll by Square-Enix themselves, we can see which games, monsters, and characters were voted the most popular among the series by the fandom. Here is a link to the results of that poll: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/661.html
Although popularity and relevancy don't automatically guarantee a character, it can provide a good frame of reference as Sakurai and Square-Enix would want to choose a Dragon Quest character that would be pleasing to the fans. Going off of the poll, we can conclude that a DQ character could be one of these characters:​
Slime
Slime is the mascot of the Dragon Quest franchise. It made it's first appearance in the series as the first enemy to be encountered in the first Dragon Quest game, and it has appeared in every Dragon Quest title since then. It has also had its own spin-off series in Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, and was the only Dragon Quest character to be playable in the Mario Sports Mix title on the Wii. While an unconventional choice, it would be iconic and could provide a very fun and unique moveset.​
Dragon Quest III Hero
As the name implies, he (or she since you can choose your gender) is the main character of Dragon Quest III. Although only the third most popular game in the poll, he/she was voted as the most popular character in the series. The game itself was first released on the Famicom in 1988 and on the NES in 1991 as Dragon Warrior III. It was then ported to the Super Famicom in 1996, and eventually the Game Boy Color in 2000. It was also released on the Wii Virtual Console in 2011, and both the original Famicom and Super Famicom versions are a part of the Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Commemoration Famicom & Super Famicom for the Wii.​
Dragon Quest IX Hero
Although not the most popular character according to the poll, he (or she, since you can choose your gender), is the main character of what was voted as the most popular game in the series, which just so happens to be exclusive to the Nintendo DS, is the most current offline installment in the series, and was published by Nintendo.
While there are other characters that can be talked about in the Dragon Quest franchise, I think that Slime is the most likely, as it is able to represent the series as a whole and its moveset could have elements of the other slimes such as Heal Slime. A single hero would cause friction in the fanbase, and I don't think that there is one single character that could represent the franchise due to having a new cast with each installment.

Ascended

Smash Ace
While Dragon Quest is the first console RPG and the most popular one in Japan, it could be argued that Final Fantasy has more worldwide popularity, and could be credited with bringing the genre into the mainstream. Final Fantasy started on the Famicom with the release of Final Fantasy in 1987, leading to five sequels before the series moved on to the PlayStation. Since then, there hasn't been a numbered mainline Final Fantasy on a Nintendo system, but there have been remakes/ports of the first six games. Because of this, it could be argued that Final Fantasy has more history with the PlayStation consoles especially due to the massive success of Final Fantasy VII. However, there have been some exclusive Final Fantasy titles on Nintendo consoles such as the Crystal Chronicles and Tactics Advance series, and some one-offs such as Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings and Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (which was released to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary.)​
Popularity
Final Fantasy is one of the largest and most popular video game franchises. While the quality of recent titles has been questionable, it still has a large fanbase and selling power. Here is a quick breakdown of what appears to be the most popular titles/characters in the franchise:
Final Fantasy I:
+ First game in the series.​
+ Remade/ported to the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, mobile phones, PSP, and Wii Virtual Console.
+ Characters/job classes have appeared in some form in all succeeding titles as well as Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix (Black Mage, White Mage, and Ninja)
Final Fantasy IV:
+ First game in the series on the SNES.
+ Remade/ported to the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, DS, mobile phones, PSP, and Wii Virtual Console.
+ Received a sequel that was ported to WiiWare.
+ Was one of the few titles in the series to receive an additional character in the Dissidia fighting games on the PSP.
+ Seems to be Square-Enix's favorite title in the series.​
Final Fantasy VI:
+ Last numbered entry released on a Nintendo system.
+ Has the most popularity with Nintendo's fanbase.
+ One of the most popular titles in the series.
Final Fantasy VII:
+ The most popular title in the series.​
+ Received two prequels, a sequel, a movie, and an animated short.​
+ In addition to gaining another playable character in the Dissidia fighting games, it was the only game in the series to have an assist character in the Dissidia games.​
+ Out of all the Final Fantasy characters that are in Kingdom Hearts, the majority of them come from Final Fantasy VII.​
Final Fantasy X:
+ One of the most popular titles in the series.​
+ Has received a sequel.​
+ Was one of the few titles in the series to receive an additional character in the Dissidia fighting games on the PSP.​
+ The only Final Fantasy character to join your party in the Kingdom Hearts games comes from X.​
+ Will be getting an HD remaster.​
Final Fantasy XIII:
+ Most current (offline) installment in the series.​
+ Has received one sequel with another on the way.​
+ Its main character, Lightning, appears to be a company favorite.​
Black Mage
The Black Mage is one of the original six job classes from Final Fantasy I, and has been present in some form or another in every succeeding title. While not a character, this doesn't matter as we already have avatar characters present in Super Smash Bros. The Black Mage would make for a good representative as he could represent the entirety of the series and his moveset would consist of magic, which would bring something unique. I do think that most of his popularity stems from the webcomic 8-Bit Theater, although he has made appearances in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and Mario Sports Mix, plus he was chosen to be in the fan game Super Smash Flash 2. Out of all the possible Final Fantasy representatives, I think he would be the safest choice.
Cecil Harvey
The main character of Final Fantasy IV, which has made an appearance on the SNES, GBA, DS, and Wii. There is no doubt that FFIV is a popular title, and Cecil would be a reasonable choice, but despite the popularity of FFIV, I'm not sure how popular Cecil himself is. He could be a cool character, perhaps being able to switch between his Dark Knight and Paladin forms similar to how he plays in Dissidia, but I don't think he's the most likely candidate for a Final Fantasy representative.
Terra Branford
While some have argued that Final Fantasy VI has no main character and instead focuses on an ensemble cast, it is clear that Terra is the main character of the game due to 1) Being the first character you get, 2) Having a large amount of the plot focus on her, 3) Automatically showing up at the final boss fight even if you don't get her, 4) Appearing as the hero for FFVI in Dissidia, and 5) Appearing as a default playable character in Theatrhythm. Terra would be a good choice due to the potential for a moveset that could incorporate sword fighting with magic attacks, and her Esper form or the Magitek armor could be a potential final smash. She would also be a good choice due to the fondness Nintendo fans and old-school gamers have for FFVI. I could also see some people liking her due to her being another female newcomer. If there is a Square-Enix character, I don't think it will be her, but I would be thrilled to have her.
Cloud Strife
The main character of what is the most popular installment of the Final Fantasy series, I feel that Cloud fits the idea of third-party characters being a big deal. We already have icons such as Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man, so Cloud would be right at home with the rest of these juggernaut characters. Although he has made appearances on Nintendo systems in the form of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, his most important and well known adventures have remained exclusive to the PlayStation consoles. Due to this fact, it is argued that he doesn't have a history with Nintendo and is more of a Sony/PlayStation icon. On the one hand, Cloud would be a good pick due to his iconic status and the mainstream's familiarity with him and his game, but at the same time he wouldn't be the best pick due to having little history with Nintendo.​
Chocobo & Moogle
In the same sense that Slime is the mascot of Dragon Quest, both of these characters are the mascots of Final Fantasy. Chocobos have appeared in every mainline Final Fantasy game since II, usually as a means of transport, but they have been seen as summon monsters in IV, V, VII, and VIII, as well as party members in Tactics. Moogles have had a somewhat more inconsistent track record, but they have appeared as playable characters in VI, VII, the Tactics Advance series, and are seen as summon monsters in VII and VIII. I feel that the Moogle would be a great choice due to its mascot status, and could take inspiration from FFVI's Mog character being able to use lances/spears and dances in its moveset. A Moogle riding a Chocobo would be able to be awesome, unexpected, and unique while representing the series as a whole. I'm not sure how certain it is, but it would be cool to see.​
All in all, I think that if Square-Enix were to choose a Final Fantasy character to represent their company then it would be either the Black Mage or Cloud, but I'm not quite sure how likely Cloud is.​

D

Deleted member

If Square Enix had a character, I would say that it would most likely be a character from Dragon Quest as I find that series has a better history with Nintendo than Final Fantasy does. So, I think it would be the hero from a Dragon Quest game or even Slime. If Final Fantasy got a rep, I'm thinking that it's a Black Mage.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Created in 2002 for the PlayStation 2, Kingdom Hearts became a huge hit due to it being a crossover of Disney movies and Final Fantasy characters. As the series went on, the focus became less on the crossover elements and more on the original characters and story, with the franchise having celebrated its 10th anniversary with the 3DS exclusive Dream Drop Distance last year, and the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts III being announced at E3 2013, the series isn't going away anytime soon. While it hasn't been around as long as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, it is still a popular series, with several titles being released on Nintendo systems:
Chain of Memories for the Game Boy Advance in 2004.
358/2 Days for the DS in 2009
Re: Coded for the DS in 2011
Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS in 2012
Despite this, Chain of Memories has been ported to the PlayStation 2 as Re: Chain of Memories and the PlayStation 3 as part of the HD 1.5 Remix. 358/2 Days is also a part of the HD 1.5 Remix, although it is only in cutscene from and not the full game. Also, what many consider to be the main installments of the series are exclusive to the PlayStation consoles. Some other counter points for Kingdom Hearts are that the series hasn't been around as long as Square-Enix's other franchises, and that the series doesn't have much the same amount of Nintendo history that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have. Lastly, a Kingdom Hearts character would require Nintendo to not only get permission from Square-Enix, but also from Disney, as Disney co-owns the franchise. If a Kingdom Hearts character were to get in, it would definitely be Sora as he is the main character of the franchise.
Other Square-Enix Properties/Characters
In addition to the above three franchises, Square-Enix owns many other smaller RPG franchises. Although small, these franchises do have large fanbases, with their characters having a large amount of support. These franchises include SaGa, Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana, Front Mission, Star Ocean, and The World Ends With You. Despite it's large amount of characters, the only two that don't fall into the three pillar franchises are Crono from Chrono Trigger and Geno from Super Mario RPG. These characters already have support topics on this board, so I won't go into much detail with them. I will say that while they are popular with the Nintendo fanbase, I don't think they are very likely due to not having the same iconic status as a Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts character. I would love to have them and be proven wrong though.
Well, that concludes my thoughts/analysis on Square-Enix. This was inspired by ChronoBound so thanks to him for inspiring/influencing me. I would love to have a character from Square-Enix as they are my favorite third-party developer, and I think that they should have a character due to their long history with Nintendo.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Despite the fact that I haven't played many Square-related games, I loved Smash Flash 2's version of the Black Mage and wouldn't mind him in a Smash Bros. title.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
All the Square-Enixers in my signature.

Also...
"My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!"
Setzer Gabbiani, gal darnit. We need someone who murders other someones with dice, cards, darts, and gambling magic.

Edit: And by "need" I mean I think it's entirely unlikely we'll get any SE representatives. It'd be sweet, all the same.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I think everything to discuss has been discussed elsewhere on these boards, in great detail... I think this is a worthwhile thread, but I don't think there'll be much in the way of discussion on this thread I'm afraid.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Totally fair. I mean, I started a thread for SE also, the only difference being that I specified characters that have been featured on Nintendo. Mostlyyy because I didn't want to talk about Cloud and Sephiroth. :p

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Six possible characters I can see are:

-Black Mage
-Chrono
-Sora
-Terra
-Cecil
-A Dragon Quest Main Character

Squeenix don't push the Chrono series.. heck they canceled Chrono Break before it even hit production, Chrono's not getting in.

I also doubt we'll have any heroes because it's a changing cast each game; generics like Black Mage, Slime, Moogle and Chocobo seem more likely, or a possible generic 'hero' character based on DQ10 online... Sora would be a foolish choice given it's non-nintendo roots, greater difficulty getting rights from Disney, and fairly lack luster sales in comparison (especially domestically, it's not really that well recieved in Japan).

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Old thread but I don't really wana make a new one. Personally I like the Black Mage as he's the most recognizable retro icon of the FF series and has been seen as Vivi in the underrated gem that is Final Fantasy IX. A moogle would work too as they premiered in Final Fantasy 3(japan) and have been in almost every 8 and 16 bit game since.(I didn't see any in FF4 but that's it) Mog from FF6 is seen as the best candidate for a fighting moogle as they mostly take support roles while Mog actually joined the party.

As for Dragon Quest I'd love to see that get in too as it's also an RPG icon.

MrAmaboKcorb

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmaboKcorb
The perfect rep would be Chocobo and Slime as a tag team. Representing Square and Enix/Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom