• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If SSB4 Was Owned By SEGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Post your rosters if SSB4 was owned by SEGA.

Rules

Replace Mario series with Sonic series

Third Parties can be same, but you can change them.

Mario has to be a Third Party to replace Sonic

Just use your own roster and replace the characters with reasonable SEGA replacements.

This way, we can see the roster if it was owned by SEGA. Think of it as an alternate world where Smash is owned by SEGA.

And it needs Mario instead of Sonic, like how Sonic was in Brawl.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Saving this for my roster. Although the roster maker is pretty hard to navigate in this case.

Additionally, I'm assuming that in this alternate universe that Nintendo became a third party while Sega flourished.

D

Deleted member

You know, I wouldn't put it past Sega to make their own SSB clone eventually...

It would be pretty hard for me to make a roster since I am not a hardcore Sega fan. (I love the Sonic games, but that's all I've really played from them... and several other Genesis games)
I like to imagine what if Nintendo owned Sega as a 2nd Party much like Game Freak... the roster would greatly increase.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Then it would have Sonic and Shadow and Knuckles and Tails and Eggman and Amy and...

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing's roster is a start.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
So basically Smash Bros. with SEGA characters? I don't see how that would be the equivelent of SSB4 being owned by SEGA (which doesn't really even make any sense) but okay. Might have a roster up.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Billy Hatcher! Awwww yissssss

It's a crime that he was removed from All Stars Racing Transformed. Have to make do with Knuckles. Harumph.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I present Sega Smash All-Stars 4! For the Sega Zii 2!

Sonic Series
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy Rose
Metal Sonic
Dr. Eggman
Shadow
Alexx Kidd (Alex Kidd)
Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Mega Man (Mega Man)
Shenmue Series
Ryo Hazuki
Lan Di
NiGHTS Series
Nights
Reala
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Isaac Washington (House of Dead)
Aiai (Super Monkeyball)
Streets of Rage Series
Axel Stone
Blaze Fielding
Amigo (Samba De Amigo)
Panzer Dragoon Series
Edge
Orta
Kasuma Kiryu (Yakuzi)
Valkyria Chronicles
Alicia Melchiott
Welkin Gunther
Selvaria Bles
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sakura Taisen Series
Sakura Shinguji
Ichiro Ogami
Phantasy Star Series
Alis Landale
Chaz Ashley
Hunter (Phantasy Star Online)
Skies of Arcadia Series
Vyse
Aika
Virtua Fighter Series
Akira Yuki
Sarah Bryant
Dural
Golden Axe Series
Gilius Thunderhead
Death Adder
Mario (Super Mario)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jack Cayman (Madworld)
Gunstar Red (Gunstar Heroes)
Jet Set Radio Series
Beat
Gum

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I present Sega Smash All-Stars 4! For the Sega Mii 2!

Sonic Series
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy Rose
Metal Sonic
Dr. Eggman
Shadow
Alexx Kidd (Alex Kidd)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Mega Man (Mega Man)
Shenmue Series
Ryo Hazuki
Lan Di
NiGHTS Series
Nights
Reala
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Aiai (Super Monkeyball)
Streets of Rage Series
Axel Stone
Blaze Fielding
Amigo (Samba De Amigo)
Panzer Dragoon Series
Edge
Orta
Kasuma Kiryu (Yakuzi)
Valkyria Chronicles
Alicia Melchiott
Welkin Gunther
Selvaria Bles
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sakura Taisen Series
Sakura Shinguji
Ichiro Ogami
Phantasy Star Series
Alis Landale
Chaz Ashley
Skies of Arcadia Series
Vyse
Aika
Virtua Fighter Series
Akira Yuki
Sarah Bryant
Dural
Golden Axe Series
Gilius Thunderhead
Death Adder
Mario (Super Mario)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jack Cayman (Madworld)
Jet Set Radio Series
Beat
Gum
Cool! Although I don't even know half the characters I think it's awesome anyway.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Cool! Although I don't even know half the characters I think it's awesome anyway.
I've played about maybe half the series and just used wikipedia to find the important characters of the others. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing was a great help.
So I've played Sonic, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes, Virtua Fighter, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Skies of Arcadia, as well as Mario and Mega Man. I know about Nintendo exclusive characters like the guy for Madworld, Bayonetta, and Billy Hatcher. In this scenario, Super Mario Sunshine was released for the Dreamcast. Mega Man appeared on a Sega Console with Mega Man 8 on the Saturn.

If any hardcore Sega fans out there (I expect a lot on basically Nintendo fan forum) think any changes are needed, or any franchises aren't represented, please let me know.

After making this, I realized, man, Sega has a lot of great and diverse franchises. Sonic stands clear above the other franchises. None of them even come close. While Nintendo has had the trio of Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda that are at least the level of Sonic, with other franchises like DK and Metroid as well. But their characters have a lot more genre and tone diversity than Nintendo. Imagine Isaac Washington shooting Amy Rose with a gun.

I really want this game to be made. It's a shame so many of these franchises are inactive at the moment due to Sega's poor financial status.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Ristar, NiGHTS and Alex Kidd would be shoo-ins.

Oh wait no SEGA doesn't give a **** about Ristar never mind

SonicMario

Smash Master
In Sonic representation. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik/Eggman (They'd probably either make him work in a walker, or perhaps even a sort of robotic suit), and Shadow would all be playable.

I assume alot of the characters in All-Star Racing would make up the rest of the cast.

As for 3rd Parties? I assume in this universe in which Nintendo and Sega switched business lives essentially. That there'd be huge support for Mario's return after the popular inclusion of him in the third installment.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
In said universe, there used to be a rumor that Mario and Luigi could be unlocked in the second game by doing an overly hard challenge.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I've played about maybe half the series and just used wikipedia to find the important characters of the others. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing was a great help.
So I've played Sonic, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes, Virtua Fighter, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Skies of Arcadia, as well as Mario and Mega Man. I know about Nintendo exclusive characters like the guy for Madworld, Bayonetta, and Billy Hatcher. In this scenario, Super Mario Sunshine was released for the Dreamcast. Mega Man appeared on a Sega Console with Mega Man 8 on the Saturn.

If any hardcore Sega fans out there (I expect a lot on basically Nintendo fan forum) think any changes are needed, or any franchises aren't represented, please let me know.

After making this, I realized, man, Sega has a lot of great and diverse franchises. Sonic stands clear above the other franchises. None of them even come close. While Nintendo has had the trio of Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda that are at least the level of Sonic, with other franchises like DK and Metroid as well. But their characters have a lot more genre and tone diversity than Nintendo. Imagine Isaac Washington shooting Amy Rose with a gun.

I really want this game to be made. It's a shame so many of these franchises are inactive at the moment due to Sega's poor financial status.
My problem with this roster (no offense intended) is that there are too many reps per series. Unlike Nintendo, I'd argue that Sega's franchises are more recognized and beloved than their actual characters are. Thus, if I designed the roster, I'd limit the reps to 1 per series (except for Sonic and Virtua Fighter) so I could maximize resources to include as many IPs as possible.

As for characters that I feel are missing/franchises that should be represented, I'd suggest adding a puzzle game rep from either Chu Chu Rocket! or Puyo Pop (preferably Arle Nadja for the latter). The former title is notable for being Sega's first serious foray into online gaming, and came bundled with the Dreamcast in Europe. The latter franchise is rather successful for Sega, especially in Japan. I'd also suggest more "retro reps" from Genesis titles. Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone is a must. He'd be odd to design in a fighting environment, but he was Sega's original mascot alongside Alex Kidd. Other good choices would be Ristar or the protagonist from Altered Beast, or for more "WTF" status/cult classic characters, Sketch Turner from Comix Zone and/or Kid Chameleon. I'd recommend another Saturn-era character as well, such as Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III from Clockwork Knight and/or a Burning Rangers character. Finally, Segata Sanshiro is basically a must-have.

I agree that this is a game that would be really fun to see come to fruition, but I also agree that it's definitely something that Sega is in no financial or critical position to tackle. They have a vast stable of beloved franchises and characters ranging a wide variety of genres, but very few of them have had releases in recent years, and lack mass commercial appeal. Realistically, I wouldn't expect a roster determined by Sega itself to be half as good as yours; they'd rely on an inordinate amount of Sonic characters and guest characters that have nothing to do with their history just to pull in as many sales as they could.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

Sonic Series
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy Rose
Metal Sonic
Dr. Eggman
Shadow
Alexx Kidd (Alex Kidd)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Mega Man (Mega Man)
Shenmue Series
Ryo Hazuki
Lan Di
NiGHTS Series
Nights
Reala
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Aiai (Super Monkeyball)
Streets of Rage Series
Axel Stone
Blaze Fielding
Amigo (Samba De Amigo)
Panzer Dragoon Series
Edge
Orta
Kasuma Kiryu (Yakuzi)
Valkyria Chronicles
Alicia Melchiott
Welkin Gunther
Selvaria Bles
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sakura Taisen Series
Sakura Shinguji
Ichiro Ogami
Phantasy Star Series
Alis Landale
Chaz Ashley
Skies of Arcadia Series
Vyse
Aika
Virtua Fighter Series
Akira Yuki
Sarah Bryant
Dural
Golden Axe Series
Gilius Thunderhead
Death Adder
Mario (Super Mario)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jack Cayman (Madworld)
Jet Set Radio Series
Beat
Gum
I said this on the Roster prediction discussion thread but since it should probably go here...

Add

Ristar

Snake

AiAi

And another third party, maybe.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Did something, following what BWT said:

Characters in green and yellow borders are placeholders, as some characters just don't appear on the SSB roster maker. Will fix that later.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh wow, I totally want to do this.
Just another excuse for me to waste time making more character slots.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace

Sonic Series
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy Rose
Metal Sonic
Dr. Eggman
Shadow
Alexx Kidd (Alex Kidd)
Vectorman(Vectorman)
Mega Man (Mega Man)
Shenmue Series
Ryo Hazuki
Lan Di
NiGHTS Series
Nights
Reala
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
Aiai (Super Monkeyball)
Streets of Rage Series
Axel Stone
Blaze Fielding
Amigo (Samba De Amigo)
Panzer Dragoon Series
Edge
Orta
Kasuma Kiryu (Yakuzi)
Valkyria Chronicles
Alicia Melchiott
Welkin Gunther
Selvaria Bles
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sakura Taisen Series
Sakura Shinguji
Ichiro Ogami
Phantasy Star Series
Alis Landale
Chaz Ashley
Skies of Arcadia Series
Vyse
Aika
Virtua Fighter Series
Akira Yuki
Sarah Bryant
Dural
Golden Axe Series
Gilius Thunderhead
Death Adder
Mario (Super Mario)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jack Cayman (Madworld)
Jet Set Radio Series
Beat
Gum

Add ToeJam & Earl and Segata Sanshiro in those two corner slots and I would pay any amount of money for this game.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
great words.
Duly noted. Although I do think some of franchises should get more than one in an ideal world. I think of Sonic as the big one (like Mario) and Virtua Fighter as well as Phantasy Star. They have also had recent successes such as Valyria Chronicles. I think if they have had multiple games, there is grounds for myltiple reps. I added most your suggests and picked on for the ones where you gave me options (Comix Zone and Burning Ranger). I originally left off Altered Beast because I didn't know what to call him and Aletered Beast was too long. I was originally thinking of Comix Zone but it looked too much like a 90s comic for me to stand (I know it's an awesome game).

So this roster should be more to your liking.
Ristar, Snake, AiAi
AiAi's on my original roster next to Ryo. Ristar's added. No Snake, since he never made an appearance on a Sega Console. I guess Twin Snakes was released on the Dreamcast maybe in this timeline, but the lack of Sakurai and complete lack of connection to Sega left him off SSB3. Sorry, I'm keeping third parties to a minimum (like Sakurai) and only major ones.
All rosters need Jack Frost on them now.
Done.
Add ToeJam & Earl and Segata Sanshiro in those two corner slots and I would pay any amount of money for this game.
Done.
Added most of the suggestions. I will explain who each are in later post. In this alternate timeline, development follows our timeline, so Jack Frost is the only SMT character able to be developed with Sega's purchase due to the game being one year away from release.
sega Roster smash version 2.png

In this roster, everyone is grouped in special way. All the characters are connected to someone around them. Jack Frost admittedly is kind of weak. But for everyone else they are grouped in either rows of two or three, columns, or whole squares. They are grouped by series, genre, console, and some other secret things. Some are groups in multiple different groupings, such as squares and columns, or squares and rows. Get any of the groupings and you get a special no-prize.

For example, from Sonic to Amy, those are all protagonists of the Sonic series. From Mario to Metal Sonic, all are major enemies of Sonic. Additionally, both Shadow and Metal Sonic are shadow doppelgangers of Sonic. Those are the easy ones.

Can you name the groupings?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Just looking at that roster... Sega used to be so great. They still make some pretty solid games here and there, but I wish I lived in a world where they were still a major force in the console wars. Some of my all-time favorite games are represented in that lineup. Streets of Rage 2, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Jet Grind Radio, Gunstar Heroes...

Sorry, the Sega Fanboy in me took hold. But yeah, I'd play the HELL out of Sega Smash Bros.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So now that they have ATLUS......
Sorry. In the timeline in my head, the purchase isn't finalized until November, like in the real world. Thus, only time to add one character. Jack Frost, who is on my second roster.
THAT ROSTER
IT NEEDS...
MORE
Objection! Using a capcom character to make a point about a Sega character! Separate company characters can't interact unless they are major icons! So says Sakurai!

As stated by another person, Big the Cat is too Ridley for the roster. He does however, appear in a hole in the City Escape Stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom