• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendog for Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U/3DS! (Assist Trophy status confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
NINTENDOG 4 SMASH!
With the unleashing of the Villager, I did some research in order to see if Sakurai left any cryptic hints in development statements. Kind of a Gravity Falls/ Doctor Who thing in the fact that I looked through previous games and interviews. And accompanying the Villager was THIS:​
Hmm... It does not seem plausible, huh? Since WHEN was Smash plausible? It's the game where you play as an overweight plumber addicted to 'shrooms, a time-traveling fairy boy, an electric rat forced to live inside of a plastic child's toy and a saddled dinosaur who can stuff innocent creatures into eggs and poop them out to use as ammo, forcing them all to fight against a floating hand. I'm pretty sure that the Villager isn't too strange. But that got me thinking... What if Sakurai was predicting? What if Nintendog was going to join his brother to prove they can fight? Therefore, I am predicting that such character could appear in Smash. Not stating that it's a 100% thing, matching the likes of Ridley, Little Mac, King K. Rool or Mewtwo, but it could happen. Did we expect Game & Watch? NO. Did we expect R.O.B.? NO. Did we expect Wii Fit Trainer? NO. I'm pretty sure even those who weren't meant to be WTF characters, like Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff and even NESS, made people go "What?" so there's that reason. I'll update a moveset later.​
The moment you've all been waiting for...​
NINTENDOG AND OWNER MOVESET​
by StaffofSmashing, Keybladeguy and APC99​
OVERVIEW:​
"Wat. Nintendog can't fight. He iz a dawg. PETA would kill Sakurai." is a statement I hear often. So, I thought about it. How could Nintendog fight while not getting hurt but still be a balanced character? I came up with the idea of making a moveset based off the owner taking hits for the dog and using toys as attacks during my time making my first few movesets in Make Your Move. Then I came across two kindred spirits: StaffofSmashing and Keybladeguy, both very new to the Smashboards scene. They were among the people who ACTUALLY liked the idea of Nintendog, and were fellow movesetters. So, back all the way on July 22nd, 2013, we started planning the moveset and adding or removing or tweaking moves. Eventually, on August 13, 2013, we finished it. So, without further ado, here it is!​
STANDARDS:​
Jab: Scratch-Scratch-Bite. Nintendog paws with opposing arms and then chomps forward. The damage goes 2%, 3%, 5%.
F-Tilt: Bark. Nintendog barks and a small soundwave goes out. Deals 5%.
U-Tilt: Pounce. Nintendog jumps up and then meteor smashes. Deals 9%.
D-Tilt: Talking Bird. The hand points it in front of Nintendog and it reflects any incoming projectiles. Deals half as much damage as the projectile normally would, however.
Dash Attack: Tail Swipe. Nintendog skids and turns around to "chase his tail" as the tail smacks the opponent. Deals 5%.

SMASHES:​
F-Smash: Sic 'Em. The hand points forward and the dog lunges forward baring it's teeth. Deals 15%.
U-Smash: Pull Rope. The hand and dog start playing tug-of-war, but the hand accidentally sends the dog flying into the air. Deals 14% if you hit Nintendog, but 10% if you hit the Pull Rope itself.
D-Smash: Jump Rope. The hand and dog each grab an end of the jump rope and start skipping it. If caught in the jump rope, it deals 12%, but if you touch either of the two, it will deal 17%.

AERIALS:​
N-Air: Bubbles. The hand swishes a bubble wand as about 5 bubbles surround Nintendog and then spread out. Each bubble deals 2%.
F-Air: Piggy Bank. The hand throws a piggy bank in an arc similar to Yoshi's Egg Throw. It deals 4% if hit in the air, and 7% if it hits the ground and shatters near an opponent.
B-Air: Toys. Nintendog drops one of his toys, whether it be a Stuffed Dog, Dumbbell Toy, Soft Cube or a bouncing Squeaky Ball. Deals 8%.
U-Air: RC Helicopter. The hand holds a RC controller as he can now aim in 8 different directions for Nintendog to fly to while riding on the RC helicopter. They only go a small distance (about the width of Bowser) but will deal 6% to anyone hit by the RC helicopter.
D-Air: Balloon. The hand blows up a balloon and throws it as Nintendog pounces on it, pops it, and effectively meteor-smashes. Deals 4% if hit by the balloon during the pop, but 9% if hit by Nintendog.

GRAB GAME:​
Grab: Tethering Leash. The hand pulls out a leash and uses it as a lasso to pull in opponents, and the dog then grabs them with it's jaws.
Pummel: Paws of Steel. Nintendog paws it opponents. Deals 2% each hit.
U-Throw: Combat Copter. The hand throws the opponent onto the Combat Copter as they fly up and then the hand punches them. Deals 12%.
F-Throw: Wind-Up Toys. The hand winds up a toy and Nintendog throws the opponent onto it. Deals 6% and if the wind-up comes in contact with anything it will explode and deal 10%.
B-Throw: Backflip. The dog backflips with the opponent still in it's jaws and slams onto them, returning to it's owner. Deals 9%.
D-Throw: Tail Chase: Nintendog chases it's tail while spinning it's opponent. Deals 7%.

SPECIALS:​
N-Special: Tennis Ball. The hand starts throwing tennis balls, or the dog will catch them and throw them in back of him. Each tennis ball deals 12%.
F-Special: Frisbee. The hand throws a boomerang or frisbee and the dog chases it, acting much like Fox Illusion. However, the boomerang returns to the original spot. If hit by the toy, it will deal 8%, but if hit by the dog, it will deal 11%.
U-Special: Puppy Pounce. A trampoline spawns underneath Nintendog and he jumps off of it and pounces in whatever direction you point it in. The trampoline deals 3% if it hits an opponent, but Nintendog deals 13%.
D-Special: Doggie Treat. The hand feeds Nintendog a dog treat, which has a 10 second cooldown until you use it again. 50% of the time, you'll get a brown treat that heals 3%. 30% of the time you get a yellow or green treat that heals 4%. 15% of the time you'll get a red or pink treat that heals 5%. Finally, 5% of the time, you'll get a golden dog biscuit, which will heal 10%.

MISC.​
Final Smash: Robo-Dog's Stampede. Nintendog turns into the invincible Robo-Dog and summons hundreds of Nintendogs and Nintencats to attack. They stampede through the bottom of the stage as the Robo-Dog can move anywhere and attack with double the damage of any move. The stampede deals 20% per hit.

Victory Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfinVwz_Zts 0:00-0:11
Series Logo: The paw print from the Nintendogs logo.
Alternate Costumes: Nintencat
Dash: The hand holds a lure in front of the dog and it chases after it.
Idle Pose: Nintendog lowers into a playful pose, or lifts it's paw and licks it.
U-Taunt: A lightbulb spawns above it's head.
F-Taunt: Nintendog tries to lick it's nose as the hands do Master Hand poses.
D-Taunt: Nintendog dances while the hands clap.
Arguments:​
1. Nintendog can't fight, unlike Villager! Villager has tools, Nintendog has nothing!
Oh really? Come here, and let APC99 explain. Who said that you had to control the Nintendog directly? In the game, you bathe, feed, train and play with your puppy. The moves could simply be the hand used (Master Hand? DUH DUH DUH MAJOR PLOT POINT DUH DUH!) to make the puppy fight. For instance, the had could throw a frisbee and the dog could chase after it similar to Fox Illusion. A Smash Attack could involve the hand cleaning the dog and the dog shakes to dry off, leading in opponents getting the water effect.​
2. Nintendog is DS-exclusive! He'd only ever get on if there were console-exclusives!
Mr. Game & Watch. Pikachu. Lucas. All were exclusive to the handheld when they were introduced in Smash. Why should Nintendog be any different?​
3. Nintendog isn't an important franchise to represent in Smash!

Nintendogs sold 23.94 million copies worldwide, the second best-selling Nintendo DS game, only losing to New Super Mario Bros. There's plenty of merchandise, a sequel for the 3DS (which was the first platinum title for the system) and they even appeared in Brawl as an assist trophy and a stage in Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS, bringing up the next counter-point...​
4. There's a Nintendogs stage with a Nintendog so he can't be playable!

Let me guess, if this was your point you also think that Toon Link won't return... Look, yes, it is a Nintendog, but it's a certain breed. Just because a breed of Nintendog appears in a stage doesn't mean that a different breed won't appear as a "fighter"... NO! There can be more than one Nintendog. There's more than one Yoshi. More than one Toad. More than one Link :troll:
4. You can't fight with a realistic-looking dog! PETA would shut down Smash Bros!
Well, you have a point there. That's where the owner comes in. The owner would protect the dog, but it would still take damage. The only real place that takes damage is the hand, making it harder to hit him. The hand cringes, but the dog doesn't show any signs of pain or damage. For KOing, the hand goes into the distance with the stylus dragging it down, and the dog just runs off into the background. The hand can slam into the foreground for the Screen KO, and the dog does the same usual thing. As for KOs off-screen, the dog always jumps back onto the battlefield and follows other players and licks them. The hand regenerates and the dog returns to him. It reappears alongside it's owner for the other KOs with a present which it breaks and gives an item to the hand.​
Does Nintendogs fit Sakurai's criteria?​
Masahiro Sakurai said:
What is the uniqueness of this character?​
Nintendog uses dog tricks and help from his "owner" to win the battle. If the dog performs the trick (special attack/ smash attack) correctly, the owner will give him a doggie treat, which heals 1%. The more often you use the special attack, the more damage it performs since the dog has "learned it"​
Masahiro Sakurai said:
What does this character bring to the Super Smash Bros. universe?
Nintendog represents a more casual gaming community in the same vein as Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager, and life-simulation games as a whole, since I cannot see a SimCity character getting in.​
Masahiro Sakurai said:
What do they have that other characters don't?
The dogs have a buddy-like system with their masters assisting them, having the master's hand take the damage for the dog, protects him and gives him treats for when he does the trick right.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
How do they complement or contrast other characters?
He stands out because he's not an actual fighter, and fits in a fight alongside Mario, Villager and Pikachu.

EVENT MATCH IDEAS!

Title: Porky's Pet
Character: Nintendog
Ally: Lucas
Enemies: Porky, Ultimate Chimera
Stock: 1 each
Description: Where's Boney? Oh well, I guess this stray dog could help protect Lucas from Porky's evil...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Quadruped fighting, frisbees, DS representation, common knowledge to the public, actual non-fighting.
Ivysaur, projectile users, Lucario (and to an extent Toon Link), Mario, Villager.

It took no effort at all to take away "things Nintendog has that other characters don't". Albeit, nobody else has a frisbee, but a generic projectile isn't something that makes a character unique.
He stands out because he's not an actual fighter, and fits in a fight alongside Mario, Villager and Pikachu. I can't see Marth or Mega Man duking it out with him though.
Not an actual fighter, just like what Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are. The fact that you can't see Marth or Mega Man fighting him should work against your favor as well.

So far I'm not impressed by Nintendog's potential at all.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So far I'm not impressed by Nintendog's potential at all.

It's kind of a response to the "Villager can't fight in Brawl" statement Sakurai said, and it is my first character thread, so it's not too strong so far. So it's lacking right now. But when I get more time, I'll try to make a statement. Eventually.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i all ways thought this was the one character no one supported

still i guss itd be fun to play as

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would love, love, to see moveset ideas.

I'm thinkin' that it's entirely "jump onto an opponent and rip out their jugular".

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I would like to see a moveset myself. I do see a contradiction in mercilessly beating up the same puppies I spent all that time caring for while playing Nintendogs, however.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Well the one in the Nintendog stage isn't the same one from Brawl so..... :troll:
I would love to see Nintendog, but the problem is how do they manage the hitting and KOing a realistic dog.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't see this happening. Having a dog in the game would absolutely be a problem from PETA. They call out Pokemon and Mario thus far, they would do it again for this, and I would have to agree with them here.

In my opinion, Nintendogs does not need a playable character. A stage is enough to represent it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm not sure anymore if people just want to use Wii Fit Trainer as an excuse to show off just how ******** they can be.

But I'll bite; A playable character in Smash needs to originate from a video game. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager may be generic, but they at least visually represent the games they come from and are unique to those franchises. A dog, at the end of the day, is just a dog. You can call it 'Nintendog', but it's still just a dog.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Only if the Nintencat is Sakurai's cat. :troll:

Also there is the RoboPup breed who aren't living dogs but robots :

"Where is your dog now Megaman ?"

Double post =/
Sakurai's cat trolled me.
In that case Call of duty Dog for Smash bros 4.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Did this a while ago, but was only really supposed to be a joke. got some interesting responses, though.

"...What? That's horrible, who in their right mind wants to beat up puppies!?"

"Nintendog is an assist trophy, and that's all it needs to be."

and some kid kinda made a moveset on it.
[collapse=his moveset]
"i got a move set smash bite (if held it deals more damage) forward smash super pounce which launches you foward up attack beg which stuns the opponent with cuteness for 3 sec down smash digs a hole where opponents get stuck and final smash the trainer throws the bommer rang dealing massive damage while the dog catches it it presses A to attack for extra damage"
[collapse=translation]I got a move set!
Special: bite (if hold it deals more damage)
Forward Special: super pounce, which launches you forward
Up Special: beg, which stuns the opponent with cuteness for 3 seconds
Down Special: digs a hole where opponents get stuck
Final Smash: the trainer throws the boomerang dealing massive damage, while the dog can catch it, then you can press A to attack for extra damage [/collapse]

[/collapse]

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main issue that's working against the Nintendog as a playable character is the fact that it could end up referencing animal cruelty. This is also the reason why the Topi was changed into a fictional Yeti-like creature.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The main issue that's working against the Nintendog as a playable character is the fact that it could end up referencing animal cruelty. This is also the reason why the Topi was changed into a fictional Yeti-like creature.
Weren't Topis kept as seals in Japan by the way?

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Yes! I support Nintendog 100%! I'm pretty sure that it won't happen, but he has some great moveset potential. My idea was to have his owner in the background like Pokemon Trainer.

Here was my basic moveset idea for him:

Side-Smash
Pounce: Nintendog pounces forward
Up-Smash
Shake: Nintendog stands on its hind legs and waves his paw forward.
Down-Smash
Roll-over: Nintendog lays on his back and quickly rolls in both directions

Neutral-Special
Bite: Works like the Koopa Klaw in Melee
Side-Special
Frisbee: Nintendog throws a Frisbee from his mouth at a slightly upward angle.
Down-Smash
Treat: Nintendog's owner throws Nintendog a treat that heals 3 Damage.
Up-Special
Leash: Nintendog whips his leash upward for a tether recovery.

Sorry if this moveset sucks :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
OP's been updated. Me and StaffofSmashing are working on a moveset that will not only factor in Nintendogs, but a way to make damage and KOing non-violent.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Reminds me of the people at the PSASBR forums that were requesting the Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle as a playable. :laugh:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's gotta be something humiliating if your character is Samus, Link, Snake, a FE rep, etc and you get beaten by an ordinary dog.

Even though I don't support it and suddenly see the animal cruelty issues that would arise.

It'd be the ultimate joke character!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
OP's been updated. Me and StaffofSmashing are working on a moveset that will not only factor in Nintendogs, but a way to make damage and KOing non-violent.

So... no throat-ripping then?

Hmm. I'm suddenly less interested in this character.

But I'm still really curious what you two come up with for a moveset. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
>Damage
>Non-violent

Well, I sure do want to see what you come up with. :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So... no throat-ripping then?

Hmm. I'm suddenly less interested in this character.

But I'm still really curious what you two come up with for a moveset. :)
>Damage
>Non-violent

Well, I sure do want to see what you come up with. :p
Do not worry, at least the Final Smash I want can be violent... as for Nintencat, he shall become the new Assist Trophy to represent that series. So no coming up to the screen and distracting other players, that's too obvious! We need... to be more violent than Villager. You may never know :)

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
I'm not sure anymore if people just want to use Wii Fit Trainer as an excuse to show off just how ******** they can be.

But I'll bite; A playable character in Smash needs to originate from a video game. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager may be generic, but they at least visually represent the games they come from and are unique to those franchises. A dog, at the end of the day, is just a dog. You can call it 'Nintendog', but it's still just a dog.
That didn't stopped them for being Assist Trophies. They're legitly (is that a word? lol) a videogame character, even if they just are a carbon copy of a puppy of real life.

CalumG

Smash Lord
That didn't stopped them for being Assist Trophies. They're legitly (is that a word? lol) a videogame character, even if they just are a carbon copy of a puppy of real life.
Fairly sure the same rules don't apply for Assist Trophies... whilst we're at it, let's make Andross's giant jaggy-looking head playable too!

But honestly, I don't think I need to explain why Nintendog should not be playable. People can spout crap about animal cruelty being a reason for it not being playable, and I can go on all I like about whether or not Nintendog counts as a 'character that originated in a videogame' or not but at the end of the day, it's a dog. It's a standard, run-of-the-mill dog. I don't even think there needs to be any further argument than that on why Nintendog should not and will not be playable. This thread has about as much legitimacy as the threads wanting Mr. AR to be playable, or the Face Raiders from Face Raiders.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Hey hey, you said in your original post the character needed to originate from a videogame. I don't where are you getting at. And fairly, seeing Andross (obviously downsized) as playable character would be quite interesting. So your point in being a dog? It's still as much as a videogame character as Mario or Pikachu. Mr. AR is unlikely as hell, but it's a videogame character. Meh, I don't care for the Face Raiders.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Hey hey, you said in your original post the character needed to originate from a videogame. I don't where are you getting at. And fairly, seeing Andross (obviously downsized) as playable character would be quite interesting.
Sakurai said that, I was just paraphrasing. And for the record, he said nothing of the sort when it comes to Assist Trophies, as far as I'm aware. Assist Trophies are, to my knowledge, characters, creatures and other assorted nonsense who have been pretty crucial to Nintendo's history but miss out on one or more of the criteria to be a playable character. For characters like Waluigi, he's obviously lacking the importance to his respective series, whereas for Nintendog, it's pretty clear that the criteria it misses the mark on is being a videogame character. It's a dog and it's in a videogame - but it's still just a dog.

So your point in being a dog? It's still as much as a videogame character as Mario or Pikachu. Mr. AR is unlikely as hell, but it's a videogame character. Meh, I don't care for the Face Raiders.
No, friend. Mario and Pikachu are videogame characters. Nintendog is a dog that just so happens to be in videogames. In fact, it's not even that - Nintendogs doesn't exactly have a specific dog that you train/raise, it literally just has dogs. It's not a character, it's a real-life species that just-so-happens to have been in a few games. No redeeming features to set them apart from real-life dogs. Even Wii Fit Trainer, whilst essentially being a yoga trainer, has visual distinctions that make her stand out from real-life yoga trainers - Nintendog doesn't even have that.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Sakurai said that, I was just paraphrasing. And for the record, he said nothing of the sort when it comes to Assist Trophies, as far as I'm aware. Assist Trophies are, to my knowledge, characters, creatures and other assorted nonsense who have been pretty crucial to Nintendo's history but miss out on one or more of the criteria to be a playable character. For characters like Waluigi, he's obviously lacking the importance to his respective series, whereas for Nintendog, it's pretty clear that the criteria it misses the mark on is being a videogame character. It's a dog and it's in a videogame - but it's still just a dog.

No, friend. Mario and Pikachu are videogame characters. Nintendog is a dog that just so happens to be in videogames. In fact, it's not even that - Nintendogs doesn't exactly have a specific dog that you train/raise, it literally just has dogs. It's not a character, it's a real-life species that just-so-happens to have been in a few games. No redeeming features to set them apart from real-life dogs. Even Wii Fit Trainer, whilst essentially being a yoga trainer, has visual distinctions that make her stand out from real-life yoga trainers - Nintendog doesn't even have that.
You could say the same for others. Mario is just a plumber who happens to be in a videogame. Fox is just a fox who happens to be in a videogame. Villager is just a human who happens to be in a videogame. So because of that no Pokémon character should be in? Just because there isn't any specific one that you need to train or raise? And why is Pokémon Trainer in the game? He just happens to be a human who isn't anyone specifically. So Wii Fit Trainer is different from others just because she is a mannequin who has clothes? Really?

Look, I see your point. Nintendogs are just pretty much generic because they are basically just a copy of real life dogs, but that doesn't stop them being videogame characters, and them being in a videogame EXCLUSIVELY to videogame characters (Brawl) whatever form they are in proves they can be playable.

Just look at this image:

This right here proves the Nintendogs are VIDEOGAME characters and they CAN BE in Smash despite their looking. Now, the fact they are basically realistic dogs or they are unhighly as hell is another thing. But I think I've stated my point. Nintendogs are videogame characters as much as the other videogame character next to them, and they are able to be in Smash.

CalumG

Smash Lord
You could say the same for others. Mario is just a plumber who happens to be in a videogame.

Doesn't look too much like Mario to me.

Fox is just a fox who happens to be in a videogame.

Fox in HD? :troll:

Villager is just a human who happens to be in a videogame. So because of that no Pokémon character should be in? Just because there isn't any specific one that you need to train or raise? And why is Pokémon Trainer in the game? He just happens to be a human who isn't anyone specifically. So Wii Fit Trainer is different from others just because she is a mannequin who has clothes? Really?
I'm not going to keep posting real life examples to prove you wrong, but the point I'm making is that whilst Mario may be just a plumber, and Villager may be just a villager, they have designs that are unique to the world of gaming. Nintendogs do not. You've completely taken my argument out of context and though that because I said Nintendog is a dog, that's my reasoning for it not being in. It's not about the fact that Nintendog is a dog - it's the fact that it could be any dog, anywhere, and it would make no difference either way. Each and every character to be in Smash Brothers has some kind of design unique to video games - Pokemon Trainer is a design unique to Pokemon, Villager is a design unique to Animal Crossing - Nintendog does not have that factor. Nintendog's design is a design taken from a real-life dog. You could put Nintendog in Smash and that'd be fine, and then you could replace the design of the Nintendog with the design of a dog you found on the street and it wouldn't make any difference either way.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Mario. He has a story and many goals. Take his name away his name and he's still an Italian that can jump really high and fly around the universe. He is a video game character.

Pokemon. They're fictional creatures with abilities and purpose. Take their names away and they're still animals and objects with signature quirks and attacks. They are video game characters.

The Save Frogs from Mother 3. They're frogs that save your game and store your money. Take away their names and they're still talking frogs that can use a men's bathroom and talk their way out of a snake. They are video game characters.

Nintendogs. They're dogs that... Do dogs things in a dog simulator. Take away their names and they're still... Dogs. That does not sound like a video game character. They have nothing to distinguish them as characters of video game origin beyond their name. They're as much of a video game character as Mike Tyson is: Technically, yes, but in the scope of things, not at all. They can be in Smash Bros. as much as a generic bat or snake can. We have bats named Keese and snakes named Ropes in Zelda, but in the end, they're just animals in a video game. Same deal with Nintendogs. If Nintendogs had special abilities, like being able to fly or shoot ice beams, that would be different story entirely.

If Sakurai wanted to add a species with no notable individuals to speak of, he'd sooner add Miis. Please don't try to size Nintendogs up as anything close to likely--they're not. Stay modest with your hopes for them, you and the support thread will look better in doing so.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341

Doesn't look too much like Mario to me.

Fox in HD? :troll:

I'm not going to keep posting real life examples to prove you wrong, but the point I'm making is that whilst Mario may be just a plumber, and Villager may be just a villager, they have designs that are unique to the world of gaming. Nintendogs do not. You've completely taken my argument out of context and though that because I said Nintendog is a dog, that's my reasoning for it not being in. It's not about the fact that Nintendog is a dog - it's the fact that it could be any dog, anywhere, and it would make no difference either way. Each and every character to be in Smash Brothers has some kind of design unique to video games - Pokemon Trainer is a design unique to Pokemon, Villager is a design unique to Animal Crossing - Nintendog does not have that factor. Nintendog's design is a design taken from a real-life dog. You could put Nintendog in Smash and that'd be fine, and then you could replace the design of the Nintendog with the design of a dog you found on the street and it wouldn't make any difference either way.

Those images don't prove me wrong. (Plus, the plumber guy has some similarities with Mario and the fox one does look like Fox.) My point was in the first that Nintendog is a videogame character. And can be added to Smash. Which was what you said in the first place.And Pokémon Trainer says hi, he isn't unique, he could be absolutely anyone. Besides, yes, it would make a difference, I wanna see you taking a photo of a dog you found in the street and comparing it to the Nintendog just to see how there are no differences. :troll:

Anyways, to resume. I don't care if Nintendog isn't unique enough to be in Smash. Heck, I don't think the Nintendog will even return as an Assist Trophy. I was just saying that just because Nintendog are basically real life dog that doesn't make them no-videogame characters. If Sakurai adds Nintendog in the game, it would be most probabily the version he chose himself for the Assist Trophy in the game, and it's up to him if he wants to make that Nintendog an individual.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Thanks God Robert's Cousin, you've summed up what was trying to say but in a far better way. (:

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Mario. He has a story and many goals. Take his name away his name and he's still an Italian that can jump really high and fly around the universe. He is a video game character.

Pokemon. They're fictional creatures with abilities and purpose. Take their names away and they're still animals and objects with signature quirks and attacks. They are video game characters.

The Save Frogs from Mother 3. They're frogs that save your game and store your money. Take away their names and they're still talking frogs that can use a men's bathroom and talk their way out of a snake. They are video game characters.

Nintendogs. They're dogs that... Do dogs things in a dog simulator. Take away their names and they're still... Dogs. That does not sound like a video game character. They have nothing to distinguish them as characters of video game origin beyond their name. They're as much of a video game character as Mike Tyson is: Technically, yes, but in the scope of things, not at all. They can be in Smash Bros. as much as a generic bat or snake can. We have bats named Keese and snaked named Ropes in Zelda, but in the end, they're just animals in a video game. Same deal with Nintendogs. If Nintendogs had special abilities, like being able to fly or shoot ice beams, that would be different story entirely.

If Sakurai wanted to add a species with no notable individuals to speak of, he'd sooner add Miis. Please don't try to size Nintendogs up as anything close to likely--they're not. Stay modest with your hopes for them, you and the support thread will look better in doing so.

That wasn't even close to what I was saying lol I'm not even hoping for Nintendog to be in the game. This isn't even my thread neither I'm putting up movesets or anything. I would be perfectly fine if it isn't in. And yeah, Nintedog can be as generic as hell you want, but he is still the same amount of a videogame character as Mario, any Pokémon or the Save frogs. Memorable, popular, recognizable, beloved, wanted, etc.? Nope. But it is still a videogame character.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
And yeah, Nintedog can be as generic as hell you want, but he is still the same amount of a videogame character as Mario, any Pokémon or the Save frogs.
Oh? Are they? Answer me this then. Mario is a trademarked character. Link is a trademarked character. Pokemon are trademarked characters. You may use none of those characters in a video game of your own without getting permission first, lest you want to get into legal troubles. If you started selling your own unlicensed copies of "Mario's Brownie Bash" on Steam, oh boy, you'd be in some deep **** with Nintendo's legal team.

So tell me, since Dalmatians are a type of Nintendog, are you saying those are copyrighted too? Can I not use a dalmatian in my own game without crediting Nintendo first? After all, they are video game characters as much as Mario and Link are since Nintendogs has them. Like it or not, that is literally what you are implying if you say they're as much of a video game character as Mario or Link is.

You can't copyright an existing species of animal, meaning you can't copyright the breeds in Nintendogs. The brand is all Nintendo has control over. Any other 3rd party could just as easily make their own dog simulator on the PS Vita and have no issues getting it published and sold.

CalumG

Smash Lord
^This. Everything about this.

Seriously, with some of the threads on Smashboards, I honestly do feel like people are using Wii Fit Trainer (for her so-called 'wtf factor') and Villager (since it showed Sakurai going back on his previous word) as an excuse to turn the SSB4 Character Discussion into an anything-goes kind of frenzy where every character and non-character to ever grace a Nintendo game is suddenly fair play.

EDIT: And this doesn't really affect the thread one way or the other but I'm gonna have to correct this piece of misinformation.

And Pokémon Trainer says hi, he isn't unique, he could be absolutely anyone.
Nope. Pokemon Trainer, though unnamed, is quite visibly and obviously Red, a character from Pokemon with a backstory and personality. It's not some generic dude, he's a re-occurring staple of the series and the Kanto champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom