• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power of the Fairy Type: Sylveon for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

For too long, the Eevee family has been left out of representation in Smash Bros. For such a treasured family of pokemon, having only one trophy across a total of three games doesn't give alot of respectability to such a beloved bunch of Pokemon. So here is the start of something special, something as magical as the Fairy Type itself, a thread dedicated to Sylveon's inclusion in Smash Bros.

Sylveon is the brand new evolution in the Eevee family that uses the brand new fairy type, being the largest of the Eeveelutions while its stats are still unknown to the general public.

Q: Why does Sylveon warrant any importance in Smash Bros?

That's a good question, so allow me to give you a couple of reasons...

#1: The Eevee family is the most popular and famous pokemon family in the entire series, having the most main-pokemon appearances of any pokemon in the franchise. The Eevee family is also the most popular Pokémon that have not been represented properly in Smash Bros. Aside from Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, Eevee is one of the big mascots of the franchise and it deserves to be properly represented through Sylveon.

#2: The biggest issue I can see Sakurai having with an Eeveelution in Smash Bros is because due to they’re solely released in pairs or in a group like the original three evolutions, choosing one over the other is unfair. However, Sylveon has the special case of being the sole new Eeveelution for the new generation, also the representation of a brand new type as well.

#3: Aside from being released in pairs, the problem that probably defied Eevee’s chances as a whole was because it’s a quadruped that, unlike Pikachu, does not have a way of fighting and evening out its issues with being a Quadruped. However, Sylveon’s bows have shown to be under the control of Sylveon, and using them as appendages to help it fight in battle, much like Ivysaur’s use of vines to make up for its lack of functioning appendages to fight.

#4: Many will argue that Mewtwo’s new forme is the big reveal of Gen 6 and that it will count as the Gen 6 pokemon. However, what most people don’t understand is that even with a new forme, it’s still Mewtwo overall, not a brand new pokemon. The inclusion of Awakened Mewtwo does not entirely count as a Gen 6 rep that is an entirely new pokemon overall. However, Sylveon IS a brand new pokemon, is a brand new type, AND is, as stated above, one of the biggest families of Pokémon as a whole.

Sylveon in Smash Bros 4: Sylveon would, like Ivysaur, be a unique-fighting quadruped using its ribbons as its physical hitting limbs. Sylveon's fighting style would be graceful and elegant, just like its appearance suggests. Move sets will be coming soon.

Feel free to discuss this character amongst yourselves, and I thank you very much for supporting Sylveon and the Eevee family for Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U & 3DS! :)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If any Eeveelution were to be in Smash Bros., this is the only one I think could fit. Mostly due to the ribbons making Sylveon able to grab opponents and items. Vaporeon is the only other one that could pull it off, but it'd have to use its tail.

In terms of moves, we've seen: Swift, Focus Blast, Trump Card, Fairy Wind and Moonblast. We'll probably know more in October when the game comes out.

Certainly a different flavor of fighter than Zoroark or Genesect. I like this idea.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know. I never really like the idea. After actually reading through your thread I think I have warmed up to it though. I wouldn't mind Sylveon. Only if Mewtwo gets in before she/he/it does. The ribbons as physical hitting limbs would be interesting to see. Ivysaur was actually my favorite out of the 3 PKMN Trainer Pokemon. Eevee does need some representation. Hopefully Sylveon gets in as a Pokeball at the very least. It would be a troll worthy Pokemon in my opinion. I know what you mean about the duel characters. Umbreon over Espeon or vice-versa would have been strange to say the least. Same with Leafeon or Glaceon. That would make Eevee himself the only possible rep... until now.

About the Mewtwo thing though. He really is a representative of Gen 6. A Gen doesn't need to have a Pokemon to represent it. It needs something. Not to mention this is a different Mewtwo not from Kanto. The Awakened Form is an entirely new premise derived from Gen 6. So it would allude to Gen 6 just as much as a Pokemon would. Another reason Gen 6 doesn't even need a rep is because there is no written rule that a Gen needs to be repped by a playable character. We already don't have a Gen 3 or a Gen 5. I don't even think Pichu counts as a Gen 2. If a clone troll character that happens to be a pre-evolution that evolves into the Pikachu of Brawl counts as a Gen 2 rep. Awakened Form is MORE than enough for Gen 6.

Another point you should add to the original post to further sway people into supporting such an immaculate Pokemon is that Eevee represents Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 4, and Gen 6. If Sylveon got in, it would be the closest thing to representing all Gens with one Pokemon. I know you reference it in Point #1. I think you should elaborate though. Tell us what it means to have Sylveon. Just a suggestion of course. You don't have to by any means. I just feel that it would only strengthen your argument.

So overall... you convinced me. I would be fine with it. Sylveon is WAY better than Genesect or Victini. I still think I would prefer Meowth though. However, Meowth never really had a chance. So Sylveon is really one of the only Gen 6 Pokemon that has a chance currently. Obviously we would need to wait a little longer to determine whether or not Sylveon is more suitable than a future Pokemon. At the moment he/she/it seems like the best choice for Gen 6.

TL;DR- No longer a Sylveon hater.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm all for more Eevee in Pokemon. Sakurai said that, with Pokemon, they do look at what is the hot new Pokemon. I'm not sure how popular Slyveon is, but it is one of the promoted ones. So it could happen and it would be interesting if it does.

LINK

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Well, the whole "power of the fairy type" you propose can be used with Jigglypuff.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, the whole "power of the fairy type" you propose can be used with Jigglypuff.
Jigglypuff's moves will probably be similar to what they've been in the past, even with a new typing. Obviously, it wasn't an issue having two electric Pokemon who are exactly the same.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Jigglypuff's moves will probably be similar to what they've been in the past, even with a new typing. Obviously, it wasn't an issue having two electric Pokemon who are exactly the same.
We don't know that for sure. Maybe she will have a revamped moveset like Pit and Bowser. And also, that worked because you said, they looked pretty much the same so it worked to just copy and paste the moves. Even Sakurai said Pichu was a joke. But I'm open to Sylveon as long as Jigglypuff whole moveset doesn't represent the fairy type.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So nothing will be similar, despite Pit getting a new moveset from Uprising. At least Jigglypuff can get a few new moves with the new fairy type.

Reznor

work in progress
Sylveon is the only Eevee thing I like so i'm a supporter
any one think Sylveon will replace Jiggs because I don't think we'll get both

Groose

Smash Champion
Personally, I'd like to see a bit more of Sylveon in the games before I'd support it. It looks like one of the more promising Gen VI Pokemon, but I'd really like to use it before I make a decision.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
We don't know that for sure. Maybe she will have a revamped moveset like Pit and Bowser. And also, that worked because you said, they looked pretty much the same so it worked to just copy and paste the moves. Even Sakurai said Pichu was a joke. But I'm open to Sylveon as long as Jigglypuff whole moveset doesn't represent the fairy type.
So nothing will be similar, despite Pit getting a new moveset from Uprising. At least Jigglypuff can get a few new moves with the new fairy type.

Pit's new moves are functionally the same as his old ones. The Guardian Orbitars do the same thing as the Mirror Sheild. The Upperdash Arm is similar to the Angle Ring. Bowser has the exact same moves.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
The Guardian Orbitars cover both sides, and we don't how if it will do other things like in Uprising where it was used as a weapon. And key word being "similar". And despite that, we haven't seen his full movement. Dude, Bowser has changed a lot.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Sylveon is the only Eevee thing I like so i'm a supporter
any one think Sylveon will replace Jiggs because I don't think we'll get both
Well even if they decide to give jiggs fairy based moves they would play nothing alike and frankly Jigglypuff staying is more likely then Sylveon joining as far as I'm concerned.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Since Jigglypuff is a Fairy type also.. There's big competition between Slveon.
Not really. It's not like Sakurai says "hmm, there can only be ONE fairy type Pokemon on the roster".

Considering the two function completely differently from each other, they really aren't competing at all.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'd be cool with Sylveon for SSB4. I would like Mewtwo and Lucario to be in it, but Sylveon would be cool, if Jigglypuff was not changed,

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Sylveon ever got considered because of its representation of the new Fairy-type, that would be much like with how Pichu was in Melee to represent baby Pokemon; probably one of those "what the heck" moments.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Sylveon will replace Jigglypuff. I doubt Jigglypuff will be removed since she has perfect attendance so far, but I wonder how many people would be upset if that were to happen.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I would like to see Red's Eevee from the Pokémon Adventures manga, which could shape-shift between the original three Eeveelutions, but a lot of fighting games nowadays choose characters that have appeared in recent games by the developer/publisher, meaning the Sylveon is an actual possibility.

Reznor

work in progress
Personally, I would like to see Red's Eevee from the Pokémon Adventures manga, which could shape-shift between the original three Eeveelutions
sounds like some bad Fanfic character :bubblebobble:

BlueDrago

Smash Rookie
sounds like some bad Fanfic character
For further explanation, Red's Eevee was abused and experimented upon by Team Rocket before Red found it, which explains the shifting. Since its evolutions were triggered by stones which usually only have one charge, Red had to retrieve special stones from an undersea ruin after a while. It also eventually evolved into an Espeon, and because of this could no longer access Vaporeon, Flareon, and Jolteon. This was presented as a good thing in the story, because of the Team Rocket abuse.

I think that an Eevee gracefully flitting between each of its evolutions would be really cool.

Reznor

work in progress
I'm guessing you've never read the Pokémon Adventures manga??? Cus if not, read it. Trust me.
I read some of it years ago but I think i'll read it again

For further explanation, Red's Eevee was abused and experimented upon by Team Rocket before Red found it, which explains the shifting. Since its evolutions were triggered by stones which usually only have one charge, Red had to retrieve special stones from an undersea ruin after a while. It also eventually evolved into an Espeon, and because of this could no longer access Vaporeon, Flareon, and Jolteon. This was presented as a good thing in the story, because of the Team Rocket abuse.

I think that an Eevee gracefully flitting between each of its evolutions would be really cool.
I still think it sounds like something from a bad fanfic :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
If Sylveon ever got considered because of its representation of the new Fairy-type, that would be much like with how Pichu was in Melee to represent baby Pokemon; probably one of those "what the heck" moments.
I think it's a little more than just representing Fairy Types. It's more of a representation of the Eevee family and how important it is to the franchise more than anything else.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think it's a little more than just representing Fairy Types. It's more of a representation of the Eevee family and how important it is to the franchise more than anything else.
If that's the case, then odds are, Eevee would be more likely to be playable than its evolutions.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
How would Eevee grab opponents or items though?
I'll clarify, I don't have any interest in seeing eevee playable but for grab umm... He pounces on top of their heads and tackles them to the ground? *shrugs* and umm for items they'd probably just let him put them in his mouth :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom