• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Karate Joe Tunes In From Rhythm Heaven - This beat is nonstop!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

Yes, Karate Joe!
...Who is he? He's a character from the Rhythm Heaven series, just like the Chorus Kids. However, unlike the Chorus Kids, he's appeared in all three Rhythm Heaven games and is one of very few mainstays to the series. He shows up in the very first minigame of the first game, along with the last minigames of the main set of the other two games. He may not be the most recognizable character to the majority of people, but to fans of Rhythm Heaven he's an icon of the series.

MOVESET + POSSIBILITIES
Yes, Karate Joe doesn't do much in his games, but that's never prevented a character from getting in before. In fact, a good amount of the newcomers this game have had movesets invented for them. Rosalina, Palutena, Villager, and Miis are all examples of this.
What I theorize is that Karate Joe can go in one two ways.

1. The entire moveset is Karate-inspired.
Some Rhythm Heaven fans have scorn for this because of how it doesn't really well-represent the entirety of the Rhythm Heaven games. This is something I understand, but with over a year of thought, I think a more traditional fighter would work better and just have more appeal than another fighter who attacks with "things" like Villager and G&W. Karate has a wide range of move to pull inspiration from, and I think it would probably end up looking aesthetically better than him fighting with a bunch of objects. However-
2. The moveset takes inspiration and objects from the different minigames in Rhythm Heaven.
This was the first idea that came to me and the one I stuck to the most. Really, it is probably the best way you could represent Rhythm Heaven as a single character and fans would love all the easter eggs they could cram into him. However, I don't believe in characters as "reps" and instead as fighters, and I just think the idea is too weird to work, and it doesn't exactly cover any new ground like a Karate moveset would. Some people may prefer this way of doing things, but I've gravitated away from it over time.​

SPECIAL MOVES
While the standards, smashes, grabs, etc. could work whatever they decide on, there are a couple moves that I think should be in his moveset. So whether they go with the karate or the rhythm heaven-based moveset, these are the special moves I think he should have.

Standard B - Hit 3: Karate Joe punches in front of him, which sends projectiles to the opponent in a high but short arc. Holding the B button causes him to hit up to 3 total, taking about 1.5 seconds for him to hit all of them. These projectiles can also fall of the stage and hit people offstage. A pot does standard hit damage and isn't particularly special. They can also be picked up if they land on the ground, but will disappear when another pot is spawn. The second punch results in a lightbulb, which does less damage than a pot, but leaves opponents stunned. The third punch is a rock, which does the most damage and also meteor smashes opponents in the air.
Down B - Combo: If you're within range of the opponent, trap them in a combo that would work similar to Marth's dancing blade. The final hit can knock them back in any direction you choose. However, if you miss, you go completely helpless, so be careful.
Side B - Bomb: Another projectile, but while the the standard B is more vertical with a small arc, the Bomb is more horizontal with a larger arc. Karate Joe crouches down and kicks a bomb forward. Opponents are hit with very much knockback and damage. However, it has a decent amount of start-up lag, so use it when you know you can get a hit.
Up B - Barrel Explosion: Now this is a move I've just invented on my own, he doesn't have a lot of choices for recoveries. A Barrel appears around Karate Joe and then explodes, blasting him upwards. Shrapnel from the explosion can also damage enemies. It has a lot of vertical range, but very little horizontal range, so know when to use it.

One more thing...
Along with all of these potential move, there's the possibility - like every other Rhythm Heaven character - that his moveset is rhythm-based. What this means exactly? I don't know, I have no idea how it would work. However, it would be one more thing to separate him even more from the rest of the cast.

Alt Costumes
Courtesy of Thelimomon
From Left to Right: Karateka GBA, Karate Man, Karate Man 2 DS, Remix 6 DS, Karate Man 2 Wii, Multiplayer P1, Multiplayer P2, Remix 7 Wii, Arcade Tempo Up

Extras and Tidbits
Victory Theme - Karate Man Prologue
Taunts - 1. Karate Joe faces the screen, puts one hand on his hip, and gives a thumbs up.
2. Karate Joe looks at his belt, reties it and then tightens it.
3. Karate Joe underhands a pot right in front of him and then punches it, smashing it to pieces.

Arguments Against
1. He's not iconic or recognizable like the rest of the characters in Smash.
It's true that he's not a real household name like your Pikachus, Links, and Marios. However, more obscure characters get in Smash all the time. Many characters people wouldn't even recognize if they weren't a fan of the series, like Sheik, Palutena, or Robin. I think Karate Joe fits the same bill. Plus, it's always nice to see new series get characters over more characters for existing series.
2. He does not represent Rhythm Heaven as well as other character.
It's true that he's not really as music-based or themed as other characters like the Chorus Kids or Rhythm Girl, but he holds an entirely different part of Rhythm Heaven on his back. He's one of a handful of characters that's been in every game, has two full minigames in each game, and being the first character you encounter in the first game and the last one in the other two, he sort of book ends the series.
3. Rhythm Heaven, as a noncharacter-centric and minigame-based series, doesn't deserve a character.
Now this is a tough one to argue against because it's entirely down to opinion. There are other series that aren't character-centric that still manage to have characters, like Animal Crossing or the Game & Watch games.
Also, seeing how the Sneaky Spirit is in the game Sakurai's obviously at least looked at the series before, so it's definitely in his field of view for potential newcomers.

KARATEKAS
Hippopotasauce, SmashKirby, DonkaFjord, LucaSmash, BluePikmin11, PSIGuy, Dustiletto, Aguki90, Luugyhero2, Tillie-152, HyperSlash, StaffofSmashing, AgentHX, Pacack, Smashoperatingbuddy123, Iko MattOrr, Zzuxon, Souldin, GM_3826, Groose, Keybladeguy, Themagnificentmoldy, Craxian, God Robert's Cousin, Thelimomon, JoeKarta, Louie G.​

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pretty good. I like what you've done. I do think his standard special should be the pots which should include other objects (light bulb, soccer ball, rock, bomb) and maybe the side special be the Hit 3. Just a though.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
That's a good idea.
I'll expand on the idea and add an alternate moveset section.

D

Deleted member

After Wii Fit Trainer, this would not surprise me.
At least he's a recurring character within Rhythm Heaven and has a somewhat larger degree of sense as a fighter than WFT.

I suppose what would surprise me more is if we did get a RH character and it wasn't Karate Joe. (Like possibly the Ringside Wrestler, Marshal, Tap Trials Girl, etc.)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Do I see this happening? No.

Would I be okay with this if it did?

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Maybe as a sixth alt.
The full-blue skin and outfit is the most common projection of Karate Joe in the games.
Edit: Also the thing with Sony owning Parappa might have a thing to do with it too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I may have realized RhythmHeaven has enough popularity to warrant a character. With WFT bring opportunity to other underrated characters, I think Karate Joe has a chance.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Marshal might be more in my liking in means of RH-representation, but Joe ain't too bad.

Also I bet if Joe made it in, he'd be forever shipped with Miss Fit (C'MON NOW, THEY'RE LIKE MADE FOR EACH OTHER)

D

Deleted member

Marshal might be more in my liking in means of RH-representation, but Joe ain't too bad.

Also I bet if Joe made it in, he'd be forever shipped with Miss Fit (C'MON NOW, THEY'RE LIKE MADE FOR EACH OTHER)
It's more like Wii Fit Trainer X Ringside (I don't care if that's the name of the game itself, I don't want to just call the wrestler "Rhythm Heaven Wrestler"...).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's more like Wii Fit Trainer X Ringside (I don't care if that's the name of the game itself, I don't want to just call the wrestler "Rhythm Heaven Wrestler"...).

Maybe though hey, martial arts also asks for flexibility and such. Maybe that's where Miss Fit's lessons come in.

Also skin color, c'mon now, they're meant to be paired if that happens-

D

Deleted member

Maybe though hey, martial arts also asks for flexibility and such. Maybe that's where Miss Fit's lessons come in.

Also skin color, c'mon now, they're meant to be paired if that happens-
Their kids would be invisible.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
I was just thinking of this, I was literally addicted to Rhythm Heaven, having songs on my phone, playing constantly, I even perfected every game on Fever. If Joe doesn't make it in, I at least hope there will be RH stages for both versions of SSB. When Brawl was out there was only one game in the series, but now there are 3 and it is becoming much more popular. So I expect and hope to see either, or any combination of a stage, a character, or and/or an assist trophy.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This guy... just looks like he works.

If you ever make a supporters list, throw me on it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hey, thanks for putting my idea on the OP.

Glad to see some people interest in Joe. It's hard to get discussion about Rhythm Heaven really going, but this is nice to see.

I was just thinking of this, I was literally addicted to Rhythm Heaven, having songs on my phone, playing constantly, I even perfected every game on Fever. If Joe doesn't make it in, I at least hope there will be RH stages for both versions of SSB. When Brawl was out there was only one game in the series, but now there are 3 and it is becoming much more popular. So I expect and hope to see either, or any combination of a stage, a character, or and/or an assist trophy.
Glad to see another RH fan. I think we will defiantly get a stage. The series is rather popular in Japan so I'm sure it is enough to warrant something. RH music would be the bomb.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not much to say, but I figure I'll bump this thread. Kind of hard to keep them alive.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
One thing I like to think about is how Karate Joe could be Smash 4's answer to Olimar, given how they were both characters from franchises created between Smash Bros games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I like to think about is how Karate Joe could be Smash 4's answer to Olimar, given how they were both characters from franchises created between Smash Bros games.
Hard to say because there were a ton of series created between Brawl and now. They just aren't your normal series (save for many Xenoblade).

Interesting fact, Rhythm Heaven for the DS has outsold both Pikmin games. So there is always that.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Hard to say because there were a ton of series created between Brawl and now. They just aren't your normal series (save for many Xenoblade).
Yeah, I didn't put much thought into the statement.

Last edited:

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
I fully support the idea of Karate Joe being in Smash 4.

The way you portrait his possible moveset it makes me want to play him right now (however I think it might be a better idea to make his normal B a projectile attack).

D

Deleted member

Still thinking Rhythm Wrestler would get it.
Despite being in all three games, Karate Joe isn't that iconic.
The Wrestler was only in one, and he's frigging memetic worldwide and is often used for promotion for Fever.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The entire time this thread's been up, I've failed to notice that I put a "Back Smash" in the Other Moves category.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I was looking over this earlier while writing my rhythm heaven thread and I would have to say if Rhythm Heaven got a fighter it would most likely be Karate Joe, but he isn't my most favorite choice and Rhythm Heaven might just get a stage or less, sadly.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I was looking over this earlier while writing my rhythm heaven thread and I would have to say if Rhythm Heaven got a fighter it would most likely be Karate Joe, but he isn't my most favorite choice and Rhythm Heaven might just get a stage or less, sadly.
Yeah, I don't really expect anything more, but here's for wishful thinking.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah, I don't really expect anything more, but here's for wishful thinking.
Do you think they would be flat or 3 dimensional with cel shading effects? I think them remaining as vectors would be kind of cool but thats game and watch's kinda thing unless they made the model look flat no matter where the camera was pointed or something.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Do you think they would be flat or 3 dimensional with cel shading effects? I think them remaining as vectors would be kind of cool but thats game and watch's kinda thing unless they made the model look flat no matter where the camera was pointed or something.
Both would be interesting but I think they'd just be converted to 3D like how Kat and Ana were in Brawl, just hopefully of a higher quality because those were some ugly models.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Both would be interesting but I think they'd just be converted to 3D like how Kat and Ana were in Brawl, just hopefully of a higher quality because those were some ugly models.
Mmm but wario ware is not in that art style 100% and I would hope rhythm heaven would stay closer to its roots (Plus Brawl's art style may be to blame for turning the cartoony cute characters darker and more realistic.)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Mmm but wario ware is not in that art style 100% and I would hope rhythm heaven would stay closer to its roots (Plus Brawl's art style may be to blame for turning the cartoony cute characters darker and more realistic.)
Yeah, it's just that outlines are the 3DS's thing and being flat is Game and Watch's thing.
However, it could work either way really.

I liked how Game and Wario translated Ashley into 3D with her minigame. Since Game and Wario basically adopted Rhythm Heaven's artstyle that could be a pretty good way to do it, even though it still has an outline.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah, it's just that outlines are the 3DS's thing and being flat is Game and Watch's thing.
However, it could work either way really.

I liked how Game and Wario translated Ashley into 3D with her minigame. Since Game and Wario basically adopted Rhythm Heaven's artstyle that could be a pretty good way to do it, even though it still has an outline.
Mmm I don't know It does seem this time around they are following the individual game's art style more (The shading on wft and the homage to low poly with villager's pointy hair (They made him way smoother than he actually is in his own game) as well as everything about megaman.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Mmm I don't know It does seem this time around they are following the individual game's art style more (The shading on wft and the homage to low poly with villager's pointy hair (They made him way smoother than he actually is in his own game) as well as everything about megaman.
Well, we'll see how they decide to interpret them.

I mean, we might not see.
But we'll see if we'll see.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, we'll see how they decide to interpret them.

I mean, we might not see.
But we'll see if we'll see.
We are definitely getting an assist trophy or stage .... (Hopefully not just music that would really be sad) But sakurai has mentioned he liked warioware so maybe since rhythm heavens in the same vein... (Then again he could say have two minigame styled reps would be overdoing it.)

Groose

Smash Champion
Karate Joe, it's your turn on Rate Their Chances tomorrow.

Take this as a free bump.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to give this thread a bump. BTW, I also wanted to also ask you, Hippopotasauce, is the Kirby Hat for Karate Joe basically supposed to be referencing Fighter Kirby?

Top Bottom