• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideal Melee Roster Reboot thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's the year 2000, you are Sakurai. Your first Smash Bros. game on Nintendo 64 bombed! The people really liked it. And, they are expecting more! Luckily you got hired for a new project from Nintendo, creating a sequel for the new console system: the Nintendo GameCube. You are ambitious, and full of ideas! Now, it's time to set your ideas into motion.

We can all say that Melee is for many their favorite Smash Bros. game. And for good reasons, as the game stepped up majorly from Smash 64., had awesome gameplay people really got into quickly and people are still loyal to this game even today. One thing the game is often critised for however is it's cast of playable characters. Hence why we are here creating a new reality: a completely different roster for Smash Bros. Melee!

Rules are simple:

-All original 8 at least are a given. You must include these in the roster no matter what.
These characters to specify are: Mario :mariomelee: Donkey Kong :dkmelee: Link :linkmelee: Kirby :kirbymelee: Pikachu :pikachumelee: Samus :samusmelee: Fox :foxmelee: Yoshi :yoshimelee:
The 4 unlockable characters from 64 Jigglypuff :jigglypuffmelee: Captain Falcon :falconmelee: Luigi :luigimelee: Ness :nessmelee: are not manditory, yet I do recommend adding them to your rosters.

- 26 character roster limit. However, that's counting clones. You can 'buy' an original character for the cost of 2 clones. Say, you include MetaKnight :metaknight: only, but keep the roster the same, you must drop 2 clone character. Or one original character (Zelda and Sheik count as 2 characters, and so do all transformation characters). Decloning Ganondorf also takes up an original character spot. :ganondorfmelee: So think wisely how you'd include Ganondorf if you plan on adding him. Luigi counts as an original (cause I'm not allowing you to cut Luigi). You can also make Luigi a full clone if that's what you wish for.

-No characters from 'the future'. It's the year 2000 now. Characters created after this time are not possible. That means, no Krystal, no Lyn and no Bowser Jr.. Olimar is an exception for now cause he had a throphy in Melee untill someone proofs me he shouldn't be on it. :olimar:

-No 3rd party characters. And of coarse no 4th party characters either. This means no Sonic, no Megaman, no Goku, no Naturo, no Homer Simpson.

-Characters created by Rare also have their limitations as sad as it sounds. Nintendo and Rare where in this buyout around this time. Rare-created characters Nintendo eventually got the rights of as Diddy Kong, King K.Rool, or other DKC characters are possible, but characters as Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, James Bond, Jet Force Gemini characters and others (unfortunately) are not.

And off we go!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My changes. * = unlockable

Super Mario series:

Mario :mariomelee:
Bowser :bowsermelee:
Peach :peachmelee:
*Luigi :luigimelee:

Donkey Kong series:

Donkey Kong :dkmelee:
*Diddy Kong :diddy:

Legend of Zelda series:

Link :linkmelee:
Zelda :zeldamelee:
*Ganondorf :ganondorfmelee:

Yes, Ganondorf is still a clone here. Sorry.

Kirby series:

Kirby :kirbymelee:
*King Dedede :dedede:

Would've picked MetaKnight, but Sakurai himself would've put King Dedede in. He was also planned for Smash 64.

Pokémon series:

Pikachu :pikachumelee:
*Jigglypuff :jigglypuffmelee:
*Mewtwo :mewtwomelee:

StarFox series:

Fox :foxmelee:
*Falco :falcomelee:

Metroid series:

Samus :samusmelee:

Yoshi's Island series:

Yoshi :yoshimelee:

Mother series:

Ness :nessmelee:

F-Zero series:

Captain Falcon :falconmelee:

Retro series:

*Marth :marthmelee:
*Pit :pit:
*Mr.Game & Watch :gawmelee:

Wario series:

*Wario :warioc:

Cuts:

- Dr.Mario :drmario:
- Pichu :pichumelee:
- Sheik :sheikmelee:
- Ice Climbers :icsmelee:
- Roy :roymelee:
- Young Link :younglinkmelee:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Uhhhh....

Dedede replaces pichu and dr mario
Ridley replaces young link and roy
Real Ganondorf replaces falco and ?????

I think thats about right and FAIR! (-_-) Oww crap Wario! Uhh Wario should have been in melee...damn this is hard....(@_@) a little help? Or someone elses roster?

Nice thread by the way bro.

Groose

Smash Champion
Axe Young Link and Clonedorf--- insert Ganondorf. Oh, and make him broken as heck. This is the Great King of Evil, baby!
Axe Pichu and Doctor Mario--- insert Wario.
Axe Falco and Roy--- insert Homer Simpson Ridley.

And there you have it! Nobody really misses anything, and you get a roster even better than Brawl's!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Dedede over pichu and young link
Diddy Kong over Doc and Roy (I'd rather him then clone Roy)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am surprised nobody quite said something as, replace Ice Climbers for Pit. Cause I'm going to do exactly this in my roster.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Am surprised nobody quite said something as, replace Ice Climbers for Pit. Cause I'm going to do exactly this in my roster.
I was thinking about it, but I opted for ICs.
I wonder if Pit did make it in for Melee would he actually look the way he does now or would he look like how originally looked straight out of Charlie Brown.

Groose

Smash Champion
My original post also included this little blurb, but I cut it out right before I went public with it:

Axe Ice Climbers--- insert Pit (hopefully that would make a Kid Icarus sequel happen years before Uprising)

But then I did some thinking, and I thought that would mess up the time-space agreement thingy. The last thing I would want is ending the existence of that masterpiece named Uprising.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
I'm going to base this on the amount of Nintendo history I am currently aware of pre-2000 because if I based it on my knowledge of Nintendo history back then it'd be a pretty uninspried roster.

No villains, Wario is usually a protagonist same with Donkey Kong

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Yoshi
5) Wario
6) Donkey Kong
7) Diddy Kong
8) Kirby
9) Ness
10) Captain Falcon
11) Samus
12) Fox
13) Falco (clone)
14) Link
15) Shiek
16) Pit
17) Mike Jones
18) Pikachu
19) Marth
20) Leif (clone)
21) Little Mac
22) Ray MK

If I based it on my knowledge of Nintendo history at the time

1) Mario
2) Luigi (clone)
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Yoshi
6) Wario
7) Donkey Kong
8) Diddy Kong
9) Kirby
10) Dedede
11) Ness
12) Mike Jones
13) Samus
14) Pit
15) Captain Falcon
16) Link
17) Shiek
18) Ganondorf
19) Fox
20) Falco (clone)
21) Pikachu
22) Mewtwo

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
At no point would I have considered putting in Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch nor would I have kept JigglyPuff. I would not have thought of those things at the time and as much as I like the Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W now I'd rather have other characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm going to base this on the amount of Nintendo history I am currently aware of pre-2000 because if I based it on my knowledge of Nintendo history back then it'd be a pretty uninspried roster.

No villains, Wario is usually a protagonist same with Donkey Kong

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Yoshi
5) Wario
6) Donkey Kong
7) Diddy Kong
8) Kirby
9) Ness
10) Captain Falcon
11) Samus
12) Fox
13) Falco (clone)
14) Link
15) Shiek
16) Pit
17) Mike Jones
18) Pikachu
19) Marth
20) Leif (clone)
21) Little Mac
22) Ray MK

If I based it on my knowledge of Nintendo history at the time

1) Mario
2) Luigi (clone)
3) Peach
4) Bowser
5) Yoshi
6) Wario
7) Donkey Kong
8) Diddy Kong
9) Kirby
10) Dedede
11) Ness
12) Mike Jones
13) Samus
14) Pit
15) Captain Falcon
16) Link
17) Shiek
18) Ganondorf
19) Fox
20) Falco (clone)
21) Pikachu
22) Mewtwo
Hell yes! That's the roster that should've been. Villains are great and all... but 4/5 Zelda reps coming out of ONE? 5 Mario characters out of 2? And 4 Pokemon out of 2 (at least somewhat excuseable)?

Maybe in an alternate reality... Probably the same reality that would've given us Melee Online Edition for Wii, and we'd JUST be getting a 3rd ssb. :D

Groose

Smash Champion
No villains
I can understand Ganondorf... but the lack of Bowser is kind of odd. I remember when I got Melee, Bowser was my most highly anticipated new character; I even mained him for a time. I respect your opinion, though.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Melee Roster 3.png

Jigglypuff removed for Typhlosion [pictured by Cyndaquil] (establishes starters of current generation as reps, which is better than Pseudo Legendaries).
Ganondorf made via clone plus Dr. Mario. I would prefer Ganon because he occurs more but he's too big in OOT form.
Diddy Kong made by removing Mr. Game and Watch.
Pit made by removing Ice Climbers still.
Remove Sheik for Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden). Now Sheik is reduced to one attack (B Down) for Zelda.
Falco decloned by removing pichu.
Added Lip to represent puzzle gaming, by removing Dr. Mario and Roy.

This is my not safe roster.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
I could probably include Bowser since he was at least once a protagonist before Melee (in Super Mario RPG a game I quite enjoyed).

At the time I didn't think of including Bowser much if at all because I thought of Smash Bros. as only being for the heroes.

Now, I'd like to maintain Smash Bros. being only the heroes but maybe some anti-heroes aren't out of the question, I already threw in Wario. Dedede, Meta Knight and even Bowser aren't always bad guys.

Groose

Smash Champion
I could probably include Bowser since he was at least once a protagonist before Melee (in Super Mario RPG a game I quite enjoyed).

At the time I didn't think of including Bowser much if at all because I thought of Smash Bros. as only being for the heroes.

Now, I'd like to maintain Smash Bros. being only the heroes but maybe some anti-heroes aren't out of the question, I already threw in Wario. Dedede, Meta Knight and even Bowser aren't always bad guys.
I can dig that, actually. Giga Bowser could still be a boss in the ideal Melee even if he weren't a playable character---such would only make that fight all the much better.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I did in mine, and it also has cool consequences.
My original post also included this little blurb, but I cut it out right before I went public with it:

Axe Ice Climbers--- insert Pit (hopefully that would make a Kid Icarus sequel happen years before Uprising)

But then I did some thinking, and I thought that would mess up the time-space agreement thingy. The last thing I would want is ending the existence of that masterpiece named Uprising.
The way the time and space theory would work is that Kid Icarus reboot would be moved up, and we get Kid Icarus: Uprising as the sequel to his smash hit DS game Kid Icarus: Duel Souls. This game's synopsis: Pit returns to fight evil once again in the name of Goddess of Palutena. However, someone has beat him to it. An angel who isn't afraid to use more dangerous means to combat evil. Enter: Dark Pit! What will you do you when darkness overcomes light? And the people you're sworn to protect turn to darkness as well? The game satirizes and makes fun of the darkness in action games since the 128 bit generation has begun, and is a critically acclaimed return to form for the series.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Interesting question! For a start, I wouldn't have added any clones: Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Young Link, and Ganondorf are all out. Ice Climbers would also be out because I'd have never considered them. The remaining newbies (Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Mewtwo, Mr. G&W, Marth) all have good reason to be there so they're all safe. With four slots now open I'd add in the following:

- Non-clone Ganondorf, as Ocarina of Time was a huge success and he's already a beloved villain.
- R.O.B. as a retro rep to go alongside G&W.
- Charizard, as a ridiculously popular character in a ridiculously popular franchise; Pokemon can have four reps.
- King Dedede, giving a bit of bias to Kirby over Metroid or Star Fox for a second rep.

Ends up looking something like this (not really accounting for placement of unlockable characters):

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, 26 characters, no villains, but clones must be included unless I sacrifice 2 for 1 original character.... Ready.... GO!

Red = Bought at the expense of 2 clones
Green = Clones (Luigi doesn't count)

-Mario
-Link
-Samus
-Kirby
-Yoshi
-Pikachu
-Donkey Kong
-Fox
+Luigi
+Captain Falcon
+Jigglypuff
+Ness
(Subtotal 12, the originals)

NEWCOMERS:
-Lark/Nester (Pilotwings, Nester's Bowling, Club Nintendo magazine)
-Ray (Custom Robo)
-Marth (Fire Emblem)
-Mike (StarTropics)
-Little Mac (Punch Out)
-Pit (Kid Icarus)
-Saki (Sin & Punishment)
-Balloon Fighter/Alice (Balloon Fight)
-Krystal (Dinosaur Planet/StarFox Adventures)
-Peach
-Airan Jo (to Saki)
-Diddy Kong (to Donkey Kong)

Total = 24 characters

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Your a sick man! its perfect ! You could even scrap roy for olimar for ultimate originality juice.

Roy can have a potentially new moveset
But for sake of adding a better choice i would picked Lyn
How bout now?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

How bout now?
unfortunately Lyn does not exist yet. her game was first released in 2003. she's not even mentioned in FE6.

Alright, 26 characters, no villains, but clones must be included unless I sacrifice 2 for 1 original
-Krystal (Dinosaur Planet/StarFox Adventures)

Total = 24 characters
I'm assuming that the changes we make to the timeline results in Krystal still being one of the main characters, and the game remains Dinosaur Planet, creating a new IP.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is the year 2000, not 2002
I thought that game had started development on the Nintendo 64?

I'm assuming that the changes we make to the timeline results in Krystal still being one of the main characters, and the game remains Dinosaur Planet, creating a new IP.

This. It's like many things changed. :p And if I had known about Dinosaur Planet back then, I'd be putting Krystal in a SSB roster. (Or maybe not, but it could have been in the realm of possibilities)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
unfortunately Lyn does not exist yet. her game was first released in 2003. she's not even mentioned in FE6.
How is Lyn NOT going to exist at that time, but at the same time Roy does?
Roy is Eliwood's son. Eliwood appeared in the same game as Lyn.
She could potentially be Roy's mother depending on the support conversations.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

This took awhile for me to figure out. I was debating on the 4th slot for Pokemon before giving it to Charizard due to his popularity in the anime. So of all of them, Falco and Luigi are pretty much the clones/semi-clones for this game and edit Ganondorf with a new moveset instead of Captain Falcon's

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
How is Lynn NOT going to exist at tha but Roy does?
Roy is Eliwood's son. Eliwood appeared in the same game as Lynn.
Well, let's say we get a prequel to Awakening. Whoever Chrom's mother or father is, at the moment, not been created yet.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
How is Lynn NOT going to exist at tha but Roy does?
Roy is Eliwood's son. Eliwood appeared in the same game as Lynn.
Eliwood appears as an older father in FE6, but Lyn isnt revealed as a character until FE7. There is no mentioned of her in FE6. All the FE7 playable characters who appear or who are heard of in FE6 have a child or relative, but Lyn has no confirmed child. And if you want to get technical, due to the supports in the game, Ninian is thought of the unconfirmed by more canon mother of Roy, and Lyn is thought to be the mother of the Nomad Archer Sue, due to the death scene of Rath, Sue's father.

But this is just fan speculation. But there is no speculation against that Lyn's first game comes out in 2003.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Eliwood appears as an older father in FE6, but Lyn isnt revealed as a character until FE7. There is no mentioned of her in FE6. All the FE7 playable characters who appear or who are heard of in FE6 have a child or relative, but Lyn has no confirmed child. And if you want to get technical, due to the supports in the game, Ninian is thought of the unconfirmed by more canon mother of Roy, and Lyn is thought to be the mother of the Nomad Archer Sue, due to the Death's scene of Rath, Sue's father.

But this is just fan speculation. But there is no speculation against that Lyn's first game comes out in 2003.
It was cleared up right above you, bruh. I didn't realize that Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi came out before Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Edit: I need to read the rules.

Reserved for fixed roster!

There. 26. And **** your rules, Diddy. Banjo should've been there, and Banjo's going to be there. Anything about that we don't know for sure related to Smash, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise!

That said, have a ****ing epic roster.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I'mma rebel using my own icons... Anyway, if I followed the rules correctly, then here's what I got: 23 characters + a random button.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, are we making our Dream Melee rosters? :p

My changes would be minimal.

I'd only cut Pichu and Doc for King Dedede. No more changes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Edit: I need to read the rules.

Reserved for fixed roster!

There. 26. And **** your rules, Diddy. Banjo should've been there, and Banjo's going to be there. Anything about that we don't know for sure related to Smash, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise!

That said, have a ****ing epic roster.

Sorry man, Banjo wouldn't have been a possibility. Melee wasn't really planned on having 3rd party characters anyway, and it was developed at the same time as the Rare-Nintendo buyout. However, because it's YOU I'll accept it on you ;)

Snake has been ruled out. Sakurai has said he decided on all characters before he heard of Snake's request. So no, no Snake. There's no way Sakurai would've thought of adding him on his own. And from now on, no Banjo on rosters either. Read the rules. Apply the rules.

Have updated the second post with my own roster.

Also, no in fact Krystal and Lyn are no possibilities yet. Haven't decided on Olimar yet. But seeing as he has a trophy in Melee, I'm letting it pass untill someone can reason why he shouldn't be on it.

@ peacock: Cut at least 10 characters from that roster. 26 character limit, less so if you don't include clones (and I'm being generous here - Sakurai said he could finish ONE unique character, King Dedede in the time of adding the 6 Melee clones). Again, read the rules. Joanna Dark also isn't a possibility, and neither is Banjo actually...

Angelglory got the right idea. And has a nearly perfect roster. Only thing I'd change is swapping Ridley for Diddy.

@Crushermania: How much I like your roster, and think it's ideal (love how you have Charizard and Diddy in for example) you have too many characters. You'd have to cut 2 unique characters I think. My suggestions: Ice Climbers, Zelda or Sheik (your choice) or Mr.Game & Watch.

Seeing a lot of Diddy / Dixie tagteam on you guy's rosters. And I'm cool with counting it as a single character as long as Down B doesn't involve changing the lead Kong from Diddy to Dixie. Am sorry, have to be strict. They can work as an Ice Climber duo, but if they switch around, it counts as two characters, like Zelda and Sheik do.

Also, you are allowed to expand on the 26 roster with the 'clone rule'. But you'd need to sacrifice an unique character. Say, you have the Melee roster, but only cut say, Ice Climbers or Sheik for example, you can replace them with an unique character, or two clones. Which would make the roster 27 characters in total. If you cut two unique characters, you can replace them with 4 clones, growing thhe roster even further. Clones have to be BELIEVABLE though. Diddy being a clone of DK for example wouldn't really work cause of his physique being clearly powerbased, and his moves as Gaint Punch and Headbut. Unless you'd change around DK's moveset that it WORKS. Anyways, specify.

Currently I'm also pondering wether or not I'd swap Jigglypuff for Meowth, or include Skull Kid in in trade for somebody else. Then again, I think Skull Kid would make the most sence if Young Link was still there.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Currently I'm also pondering wether or not I'd swap Jigglypuff for Meowth, or include Skull Kid in in trade for somebody else. Then again, I think Skull Kid would make the most sence if Young Link was still there.
Wasn't Meowth considered to be playable in the 64 version? Wonder how the roster would've been had he was there instead of Jigglypuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom