• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Klonoa DLC Support Thread: Dream Travelers Unite!

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Nintendo Games:

Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA) (2001) (Exclusive)
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA) (2002) (Exclusive)
Klonoa Heroes: The Legendary Star Medal (GBA) (2002) (Exclusive)
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Wii) (2008)
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (Wii U Virtual Console) (2014) (Exclusive)
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (Wii U Virtual Console) (2015) (Exclusive)

Nintendo Cameos & References In Games:

In Tales of Symphonia (Game Cube), the character Presea could get a Klonoa costume.
In Tales of Hearts (DS), Klonoa appears as a summon character.
In Tales of Phantasia (GBA), Klonoa appears as the Statue of Friendship.

Weaponry

(Klonoa also has many weapons using the Wind Ring, all introduced in Legend of the Star Medal (GBA) and used in Namco X Capcom.)

The Wind Bullet:
The magical jewel at the end of Klonoa's ring can fire a concentrated orb blast of wind known as a "Wind Bullet" that serves as his primary means of attack. When this bullet is fired against an square block or enemy, their bodies inflate and become rounded, filling up with a light substance that makes them float. Klonoa can then pick them up over his head and either toss them straight forward into other enemies or use them to perform a second jump in the air, allowing him to reach places he normally couldn't (and kicking the enemy he is holding downwards in the process). However, there have occurrences in several games where Klonoa's ring could fire wind bullets without anyone inside. The Wind Bullet can also hurt instead of just make enemies inflate, as shown in Klonoa Heroes. The Wind Bullet is also capable of pushing or pulling enemies toward or away, so the Wind Bullet could act as a grab for Klonoa as well as a primary attack.

Sword:
Besides creating the Wind Bullet, the Wind Ring can use the wind to create a Wind Sword to slash his enemies. It is his most used form of attack in other media, like commercials and artwork for the game.

Boomerang:
A Boomerang used to hit multiple enemies, can rotate around Klonoa and hit anyone close to him.

Arm Cannon:
A pair of cannons attached to each of Klonoa's arm that can fire a big spiked ball to his enemies.

Beam Gnome:
The Wind Ring can create a beam that can act like a shield which he can use to tackle his enemies. in Namco X Capcom it can also be used as a defensive counter against long range attacks.

Hammer:
A powerful weapon used to smash his enemies, in Namco X Capcom Klonoa can use it to open chests without losing Action Points (AP).
Abilities & Techniques

Floating:
Klonoa can often use his large, floppy ears to his advantage by flapping them in order to add a few more inches to his maximum jump height, or to remain in the air for a moment longer.

Board Riding (Up Recovery potential):
Klonoa has demonstrated the ability to ride a special "Air Board" in several of his titles. Resembling a snowboard that hovers slightly off the ground, this board is usually only available in certain circumstances, but it allows him to travel over large areas of snow or water. His ears are also usable when on the board, as well as his Wind Ring, allowing Klonoa to make impossibly large jumps and stay in the air for an extended time.

Tornado Attack:
When using the attack, he flies in the air then unleashes a massive amount of tornadoes around him. Originating from Klonoa Heroes: Legend of the Star Medal (GBA)

Thunder Hurricane (Final Smash Potential):
The second special from Klonoa Heroes: Legend of the Star Medal and his ultimate assault in Namco X Capcom. In the Volk City level in Heroes, Klonoa is defeated by Flower Joka and is thinking of a new attack. He then trips on a wire and gets electrocuted. This inspires him to create the 'Klonoa Thunder Hurricane'. When using the attack, he begins to spin as bolts of lightning spark around him.

Artsy Omni "Leak"

The Klonoa Leak was an SSB4 Leak posted onto Imgur in June 2014 by a Youtube User named Artsy Omni. He claimed that he managed to find unused content in the files for the Smash Bros Website before the Files got deleted. A few days later though, the Leak was confirmed Fake by the Creator. Images can be found here.

Klonoa In The Clouds of Trailers
It appears Klonoa may have appeared in the clouds of various trailers for Super Smash Bros. 4.​

Misc

In a game magazine interview, Hideo Yoshizawa confirmed that he got his idea of Klonoa from Mario Bros. (Source Needed)

Here Nintendo Life states: "Klonoa's strong presence on Nintendo platforms (there's a number of GBA spin-offs out there too), coupled with the fact he and Huepow would fit in beautifully on the Smash Bros. roster — both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics — make him a very strong candidate."
Theme Music

Various Artwork

Klonoa’s Hammer

Klonoa’s Air Board

Move Sets
Credit: NobunagaSmash94 on Deviantart
Credit: Evilwaluigi on Deviantart

Supporters List
(Signature Icon & Roster Maker Icon For Your Convenience)

ErenJager ErenJager
JungleSloth JungleSloth
DreamcastBoy99
XionKai
LaserLockOn
Pallex
Dish0ut
Desert Croc
Kamen Rider Kiva
magiciandude
Zoljinx

Last edited:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
been playing his old games recently. love em. i wish they'd bring him back sometime. i will say that neutral B seems really broken lol

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know much about Klonoa, but I like his design. He does look oddly similar to the Sonic characters though.

Blazingskittles423

Smash Rookie
Decent choice but not very likely.

:laugh:

I've actually known about it ever since I found out about the new game, and I've been wanting Klonoa for the game ever since. I just joined the website yesterday, so I'm new to posting stuff for forums.

Actually, I do consider myself to be a Slowpoke. I have a hard time keeping up with the times. XD

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Klonoa has no chance. Sorry. I have to keep telling my gf the same thing (she really wants Klonoa.)

It's as likely as a DBZ character, honestly.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd have hoped the webcomic they developed to "keep him alive" would've sparked more interest than it did. I really wanted him alongside Sonic in Brawl.

Given that Namco isn't getting special treatment, and he isn't exactly the most iconic or first-pick material character, it seems doubtful.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Klonoa has no chance. Sorry. I have to keep telling my gf the same thing (she really wants Klonoa.)

It's as likely as a DBZ character, honestly.
Nah. Klonoa actually has a chance. Albeit a very small and nearly non existent chance. That's still a million tiems more then any DBZ character.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Nah. Klonoa actually has a chance. Albeit a very small and nearly non existent chance. That's still a million tiems more then any DBZ character.
DBZ has extremely easy moveset potential, has appeared on tons of Nintendo games, is extraordinarily popular, and brings an image that Smash lacks. Klonoa is about average moveset potential, has appeared in very few games in general, is known by very few, and just seems like a "Sonic" image.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
DBZ has extremely easy moveset potential, has appeared on tons of Nintendo games, is extraordinarily popular, and brings an image that Smash lacks. Klonoa is about average moveset potential, has appeared in very few games in general, is known by very few, and just seems like a "Sonic" image.
Originating in video games rule.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Originating in video games rule.

I don't recall Sakurai every really saying he only wanted true video game characters (he might have. I don't know for sure.)

Simultaneously, Klonoa is like #500 in a list of viable third party characters, which Sakurai said he's avoiding.

For clarity, I give both of them a 3 x 10^(-25) chance.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't recall Sakurai every really saying he only wanted true video game characters (he might have. I don't know for sure.)

Simultaneously, Klonoa is like #500 in a list of viable third party characters, which Sakurai said he's avoiding.

For clarity, I give both of them a 3 x 10^(-25) chance.
he stated it back in the pre brawl days. He said that the guest characters must have originated for video games. So it can be assumed that he still holds that rule.

No one is saying that Klonoa is very likely. He just has a much better chance then any anime character.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
he stated it back in the pre brawl days. He said that the guest characters must have originated for video games. So it can be assumed that he still holds that rule.

No one is saying that Klonoa is very likely. He just has a much better chance then any anime character.

Concede.

I will now call Klonoa as likely as one of the trees on Bob-Omb Battlefield in Mario 64.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
I really like Klonoa.

I think he'd fit in great with Smash.

There is no way he'll make in though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pfft, if you no Pac-Man, don't even think you have any chance in Smash.

I hate how this is but it just is how it is.

Otherwise we should just wait for never-to-become-reality game that is Namco X Nintendo.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't even know this thing but I'd MUCH rather have him in Smash than Pacman (his arms+legs design just looks terrible imo... Klonoa at least looks like a cute little guy).

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Namco: We would like to put Pacman in
Sakurai: We cannot think of good moves for Pacman...
Namco: Hmm... OH OHHH!
Sakurai: What?
Namco: Since you said we're not going to have any more 3rd party right?
Namco: And we are going to have Sonic in...
Sakurai: Right
Namco: Pacman + Sonic = Klonoa ^_^

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
He'd make a much better character than Pac-Man for sure.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
So the SSB4 press kit contains images of items from Namco games, specifically Galaga enemies and the S-Flag, from various Namco games (including Starfox Assault). I've seen speculation that the S-Flag functions similarly to Pokeballs or Assist Trophies, summoning retro Bamco characters. Emphasis on "retro", as both the Galaga guys and the S-Flag are rendered as 2D sprites.

Does this support Klonoa's (or maybe Lloyd's) chances over those of Pac-Man, seeing how the first Klonoa game was in 3D? Or does it reduce the likelihood of any Namco Bandai characters being playable to zero?

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
We've all been speculating, guessing, hoping, and praying for a Namco Bandai character in Smash. My opinion: Add Klonoa to SSB4! Forget Lloyd Irving! Forget Pac-Man! Let's add Klonoa to Smash Brothers 4!

Ok, ok, before you start raging on me, and saying things like "Pac-Man should be in!" or "Lloyd Irving is the best choice!" Just hear me out.

Klonoa could have a cool and unique moveset. He'll have no trouble fitting in with his surroundings. His colorful and cartoony style fits perfectly! Plus, he's a humanoid animal, and we already have plenty of those in Smash! (Fox, Falco, Sonic, etc.)

Klonoa is familiar with Nintendo fans as well. He got a remake of his first game on the Wii.

If you feel as if I missed anything, please comment about it. Also, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Don't forget to vote on the poll above! Thanks for reading, and have a nice day/night!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Klonoa has a slightly more unique moveset potential than Lloyd but I'm pretty sure Lloyd is better known (even if Klonoa does cameo in his game). Both of their styles fit great and there are atleast as many humans as humanoid animals so how does that matter?

I would absolutely love to have Lloyd in, while Klonoa would be only ok for me but, as I see it, their likelihood is roughly equal.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
EDIT:

Moved to OP after becoming the new OP of thread.

Klonoa for Smash!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
@ErenJager:

Since it was a japan only spinoff, I would be hesitant about including anything unique to The Legendary Star Medal, however the sword and shield seem like logical extensions of his existing wind abilities and the boomerang seems rather in character. The only thing I'm not so sure on are those Megaman style canons.

You also mention his redesign as an alt costume. No. The things with most potential besides the wind ring are those hand-like ear tips. They, IMO, should be used in his grabs (maybe use the ring when still), throws and pummel at the very least, probably fitting into his tilts and aerials, too. You cannot use a costume that cuts them in Smash (the costume would be fine for non-fighting games).

As for the Hoverboard, it seems odd to ride that upwards but it's been too long since I touched Lunatea's Vale so I'm not really that familiar with its workings.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
@ErenJager:

Since it was a japan only spinoff, I would be hesitant about including anything unique to The Legendary Star Medal, however the sword and shield seem like logical extensions of his existing wind abilities and the boomerang seems rather in character. The only thing I'm not so sure on are those Megaman style canons.

You also mention his redesign as an alt costume. No. The things with most potential besides the wind ring are those hand-like ear tips. They, IMO, should be used in his grabs (maybe use the ring when still), throws and pummel at the very least, probably fitting into his tilts and aerials, too. You cannot use a costume that cuts them in Smash (the costume would be fine for non-fighting games).

As for the Hoverboard, it seems odd to ride that upwards but it's been too long since I touched Lunatea's Vale so I'm not really that familiar with its workings.
It's not unique to the legendary star medal, they appeared in other games, they just originated there... (on a nintendo exclusive game) granted only in japan, however it's much better then having moves originating from playstation only games, or a multiplatform game.... -_-'

I don't think you played very many Klonoa games.
Also everything else is just your opinion, which is nice.

The "hover board" is like a sky diving board, watch the power rangers movie intro.
And yes it can move upward on wind currents.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yes, it's all opinion.
I feel it would be a major missed opportunity to not make use of his hand-like ears but that's just me. Likewise, my uncertainty of the merit of the arm canons is likely mine alone. I may have made it unclear what my stance was on the sword and "gnome beam". They both seem like excellent extensions of the wind ring's abilities but the latter does have an unnecessarily wacky name.

No, I haven't played many of the Klonoa games, just the wii remake of the first and a lot of Presea's alt. costume. I did attempt to play Lunatea's Veil (and was confused by the fact that he suddenly spoke fluent Lunatean/Klonoan) but then I moved house and I've not seen it since :(.

I enjoyed the game I played and I definitely like the character but yes, I am a touch uneducated for this thread. Sorry.

Aren't wind currents a stage element though?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yes, it's all opinion.
I feel it would be a major missed opportunity to not make use of his hand-like ears but that's just me. Likewise, my uncertainty of the merit of the arm canons is likely mine alone. I may have made it unclear what my stance was on the sword and "gnome beam". They both seem like excellent extensions of the wind ring's abilities but the latter does have an unnecessarily wacky name.

No, I haven't played many of the Klonoa games, just the wii remake of the first and a lot of Presea's alt. costume. I did attempt to play Lunatea's Veil (and was confused by the fact that he suddenly spoke fluent Lunatean/Klonoan) but then I moved house and I've not seen it since :(.

I enjoyed the game I played and I definitely like the character but yes, I am a touch uneducated for this thread. Sorry.

Aren't wind currents a stage element though?
Yeah, there is only certain times that the board is able to be used, typical a stage element is involved (in most games, but not all).
This is similar to a spring in the sonic games though, but in smash it just spawns. So IDK, it could work.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
See, I find Sonic's spring and, to a lesser extent, Megaman's use of Rush to be rather out of place already.
That said, the board would be no more out of place than those (quite possibly less so) so I guess I'd be the only one to take issue with it.

NebulaVista

Smash Cadet
See, I find Sonic's spring and, to a lesser extent, Megaman's use of Rush to be rather out of place already.
That said, the board would be no more out of place than those (quite possibly less so) so I guess I'd be the only one to take issue with it.
Why couldn't he just use his double jump ability (the one where he throws the enemies down)? Like Sonic's spring, it could damage enemies if it hit them.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Just to hear him say "wahoo" is enough reason to make him happen.
I like his original design more btw.

NebulaVista

Smash Cadet
Just to hear him say "wahoo" is enough reason to make him happen.
I like his original design more btw.

I'll be honest, in the chance that he does get in, he's probably not going to have his old design. They've only used his original design in the first game, every game that came after that has used his new design (albeit with different clothes in just about every game).

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I'll be honest, in the chance that he does get in, he's probably not going to have his old design. They've only used his original design in the first game, every game that came after that has used his new design (albeit with different clothes in just about every game).
Of course, but that doesnt mean i have to stop preferring his first design ;D

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alternate costumes.

Top Bottom