• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Banner template, wrench, and general design inspiration courtesy of N3ON.
One of Intelligent Systems’ beloved turn-based handheld franchises has already found its way into the Smash Bros roster. But what of the other? I'd like to run through the reasons why Advance Wars should get a rep, and why Sami is both a viable and good rep for the series.

“Why does Advance Wars need a rep? It was just some Game Boy game, right?”

Many Smash fans may recognize Advance Wars from its assist trophy in Brawl, which featured a large number of infantry and tank sprites from the GBA games pouring out onto the stage and opening fire on the fighters. The assist trophy was a nice nod, but the Wars franchise rates more representation than that. Advance Wars is over a decade old and as a sub-series can claim four games to its name, all of which proved popular, especially among Western gamers. Taken as an umbrella, the larger Wars franchise boasts a dozen titles released over the past 25 years, all on Nintendo consoles. Despite the size and age of the franchise, its popularity, and the impressive cast of characters boasted by Advance Wars, the series has yet to see true representation in Smash Bros in the form of a playable character. This is an egregious oversight which should be corrected.

“Okay, so Advance Wars deserves a rep. But which character?”

Andy is perhaps the most recognizable character to those who have not played the games, as he took the leading role in Advance Wars 1 and was a prominent character in Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising. However, there are several other characters who are just as important within the series as Andy, and just about as recognizable. Sami and Max share top billing with Andy on the cover of both Advance Wars 1 and Advance Wars 2. In the first the trio can be seen riding on the same tank, and in the second they stand together as the COs of Black Hole loom menacingly in the background. Every member of the Orange Star trio figures equally in the AW1 and AW2 intros, while no other CO receives equivalent screentime.

Andy plays a larger role in the plot of AW1; the game centers around his (mis)adventures as he seeks to get to the bottom of recent conflict in Wars World. In AW2, however, Andy is no more important to the plot than Sami or Max; all three COs get an equal share of mandatory missions both in Orange Star and as allies in the other nations’ missions. In AWDS, Andy does not appear in the game’s campaign at all, replaced by the oh-so-hip Jake; by contrast, Max and Sami both play a significant role, with Max in particular a major character for most of the game. As we can see, while Andy is still the likeliest Advance Wars rep, it is quite possible to justify Sami or Max representing Advance Wars instead of Andy.

“Alright, Sami could reasonably appear, but why is she a better inclusion than Andy or Max?”

Andy has one big problem. He is really annoying. I say this as somebody who likes him, too. You remember Pit? Remember HIYAYAYAYAYAAAAAA? Andy, as a younger teenage boy with a personality that tends toward irritating obliviousness, is at very high risk to be every bit as annoying as Brawl Pit, if not more.

This picture says it all, really.

Andy would certainly be a fun character to play in Smash regardless of how annoying he is, but why take a more annoying character when less annoying ones are available?

“Well then, why not Max? Max is a cool dude."

Max will pretty inevitably be a big, heavy, slow physical bruiser type relying on a fist-based moveset: just look at his official art! Anything else wouldn't be true to the character, in terms of both design and personality.

Smash already has a few of these "bruiser" characters, most notably DK. Max could be made unique nonetheless, but Sami has an advantage in terms of uniqueness. Plus, big, heavy, slow characters are often pretty crappy in actual gameplay.

Sami is the most visually unique of the three when compared to the rest of the Smash roster, as well as lending herself more easily to a "soldier" moveset than Andy or Max by virtue of always appearing with some kind of weapon. She very likely will be far less annoying than Andy could be. Given all this, I find her to be the best possible AW rep out of the 3 plausible ones.

Potential counter-arguments and rebuttals:

“Advance Wars has been dead for years. It’s no longer relevant!”

Advance Wars has not seen a new release in 5 years, it's true. Nonetheless, the series remains relatively popular and is very fondly regarded by many gamers. The series is one of Nintendo’s finest for handhelds. Advance Wars 1 holds a Metacritic score of a remarkable 92/100 and was rated the 26th best game on any Nintendo system by Nintendo Power. Advance Wars may have been in stasis for some years, but the series is still significant and has many loyal fans. Recent rumors of a new AW game brought many fans still eager for a return to the series out of the woodwork. Should these rumors be true, an AW rep becomes significantly more likely, as a Smash rep to accompany a new game in the series would aid greatly in efforts to revive Advance Wars.

“We’d get Will instead! Days of Ruin was the most recent game.”

Days of Ruin did poorly enough that it did not release in Japan at all, and received mixed reception from fans in general due to drastic changes in gameplay and especially art style. The game’s lack of visibility among Japanese fans, the primary target audience for Smash, as well as mixed feelings from the AW fanbase, significantly less popularity, and character designs which clash with SSB4’s aesthetic combine to make a DoR rep incredibly unlikely.

“X character from the series has a better chance!”

Only Andy has a better chance of inclusion than Sami. Barring Max, who breaks even, every other CO from AW1 and AW2 is not a protagonist, and therefore will not be included over the series’ main characters as long as the series lacks at least one rep. Jake and Rachel are protagonists in AWDS, but as newcomers with only one appearance to the trio's three their odds of inclusion are significantly lower, particularly as AW1 & AW2 are more "core" games for the series. Hawke would be a potential inclusion if the series went to two characters, but that won’t happen. Nell is also very important within the story, but as the tutorial character and advisor, not a protagonist.

“Advance Wars COs don’t actually fight in their games like Fire Emblem characters do; they command! How can they have a moveset?”

Advance Wars characters are actually some of the most fitting inclusions in Smash, as every member of the cast is a professional soldier who fights for a living. Sure, they don’t take to the battlefield directly in gameplay, but nearly every CO looks quite battle-ready in their art, and dialogue throughout the campaigns indicates that the COs are fighting on the front lines.

Gameplay elements such as unit call-ins or silo missile strikes can easily be worked into special moves, and a physical fighting moveset fits any AW character very well, so the normals are not a problem. Out of the main three, Sami looks like more of a fighter than Andy, but not Max.

“Advance Wars doesn’t fit the tone of Smash; it’s too violent! And doesn’t Sami have a gun?”

Advance Wars is about war, yes, but a very cartoony and caricatured portrayal of war. All of the AW COs wear very bright colors, making them a perfect fit for the atmosphere of SSB4. Sami’s rifle can easily be swapped for a rocket launcher; in fact, the AW start screen and AW2 game box take this exact approach by giving Sami a bazooka. If Solid Snake can be made to fit within the Smash atmosphere, adapting an Advance Wars character is a piece of cake.

Potential Moveset (WIP and extremely rough – serves only as an illustration of the potential for interesting movesets with AW characters):

Jab: Sami elbows the opponent. If it connects, she follows up with a knee hit, and if that connects a punch.

Ftilt: Sami kicks in front of her.

Utilt:

Dtilt:

Fsmash: Sami swings her rocket launcher through the air in a heavy blow.

Dsmash: Sami drops and swings her legs around.

Usmash: Sami tosses a grenade which immediately explodes in the air directly above her head.

Neutral B: Sami fires a rocket ahead in a straight line.

Side-B (on ground): An APC appears. Sami grabs onto the back and rides as the APC charges forward in a straight line. Any characters hit by the APC will be buried.

Side-B (in air): Sami grabs on to a T-Copter instead of an APC, which flies straight forward and knocks back impacted characters.

Down-B: A silo missile template (a giant crosshair, for the unfamiliar) appears on screen. Sami may move the template with the analog stick and press “A” to fire. Immediately after firing, a silo missile drops from the top of the screen at good speed and explodes in the designated AoE for moderate damage and knockback. Sami cannot move while aiming the template.

Up-B: Sami rises through the air on a captured building as per the classic capturing animation, damaging any opponent she or the building impacts.

Nair:
Fair:
Bair:
Dair:
Uair:

Up Throw: Sami hurls her opponent into the air with both arms.
Forward Throw: Sami kicks her opponent away from her.
Back Throw: Sami spins around and hurls her opponent backwards with both hands.
Down-Throw: Sami throws her opponent on the ground and jumps on him with both feet several times, as per the classic AW capturing animation (perhaps with appropriate sound effects?)

Final Smash:
After Sami presses B, gameplay freezes and two words immediately fly in and crash together in the center of the screen, covering everything: SUPER POWER

The screen flashes white,
begins to play, and gameplay resumes as Orange Star infantry and mech units pour onto the stage, shooting at players for minor damage and hitstun. Sami herself gains greatly improved speed, weight, and hitting power for a brief period of time, but can still be killed-after all, circumstances permitting, it's best to hit your opponent during their power turn to avoid charging their meter! Sami’s Final Smash overrides the stage’s theme with the AW2 Super Power theme for its duration..

Sami's Commandos Corps
[COLLAPSE="Supporter List"]
Chauzu
Spinosaurus
Aduross
jaytalks
Falkoopa
JediSuperSonic
Maffewt
Z1GMA
SSBCandidates
God Robert's Cousin
ShichibukaiJimbe
ChronoBound
AlRex
Sabrewulf238
R.O.B.
Takehiko
Erotic&Heretic
Zulyar
Superyoshiom
CroonerMike
Hong
Kickback
Snakeyes
8-peacock-8
MandoBardanJusik
Plain Yogurt
JaidynReiman
Thereallucario
Princess Toady
smashkirby
Kremling Klansmen

[/COLLAPSE]

Potential Stage: Black Hole Fortress

[COLLAPSE="Potential Stage"]
The platform floats above a scene of pandemonium. Jutting upward in the background is an imposing black fortress, bristling with minicannons, death rays, and lasers. Groups of Black Hole and Allied Nation units run, drive, and fly around exchanging fire in the background.

At regular intervals, much like the Arwing strafing runs on Corneria, a CO power will be selected and affect the stage as the battle against Black Hole bleeds over into the players' fight. The background of the stage will briefly transform into the traditional Advance Wars flame-backed power name screen when a hazard activates. These COs and powers may be as follows:

Rachel - Covering Fire: Three silo missiles are targeted at points on the stage and fire, exploding for damage and knockback.

Olaf - Blizzard: Thick snow falls on the stage, reducing players' running speeds significantly.

Sensei - Airborne Assault: T-Copters drop off an infantry squad, which runs around shooting the players. If items are on, the T-Copters will drop "supplies".

Eagle - Lightning Strike: A squadron of bombers carpet-bombs a segment of the stage.

Sturm - Meteor Strike: A large meteor impacts a point on the stage for massive damage and knockback in a sizable AoE. Players will be warned of the impact point before impact occurs. [/collapse]

Potential Music (more to come)

[COLLAPSE="Andy's Anthem"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Sami's Theme"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Advance Wars 2 Ending Theme"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Kindle's Theme"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Penny's Theme"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Last edited:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
She seems badass. I know nothing about the series, really, but you've convinced me that she should in instead of Andy. Also, Sami is a more interesting name than Andy. Moveset-wise, not sure how I feel about her constantly summoning rather large vehicles and structures out of nowhere to ride them for a second before they disappear.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Sami was my favorite CO to use back in Advance Wars 2. I feel like she is better character than Andy, and I would prefer to see her. And if I recall, in promo shots I remember seeing her with bazooka while Andy has a wrench. I think bazooka beats wrench.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
She seems badass. I know nothing about the series, really, but you've convinced me that she should in instead of Andy. Also, Sami is a more interesting name than Andy. Moveset-wise, not sure how I feel about her constantly summoning rather large vehicles and structures out of nowhere to ride them for a second before they disappear.
Thanks! The moveset is definitely extremely rough and not meant to be an actual moveset pitch, just an illustration of the great moveset potential offered by AW via unit callins and CO powers.

The vehicles wouldn't necessarily have to be large, though. Advance Wars units are pretty small and chibi-style to begin with. A T-copter move could be no larger than Snake's recon drone, for example.

Sami was my favorite CO to use back in Advance Wars 2. I feel like she is better character than Andy, and I would prefer to see her. And if I recall, in promo shots I remember seeing her with bazooka while Andy has a wrench. I think bazooka beats wrench.
Yeah, I like Andy a lot but I think he's definitely less interesting than Sami as a Smash rep. I'd prooobably prefer Andy to Max, as a wrench-based moveset would be more fun than roid rage, but I'm just really worried that they'd make him incredibly annoying.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Sami would be great for smash, I think. Why not just give her Snake's old moveset? I don''t think Snake will be in ssb4.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I approve of Advance Wars getting a spot in Smash.
It's such a good Game(s)

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I agree with Wars deserving a spot in SSB.

I also agree with Sami being a better choice over Andy in so many ways (personality, moveset potential, gender...).

So yeah, Sami for Sm4sh!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sami would be great for smash, I think. Why not just give her Snake's old moveset? I don''t think Snake will be in ssb4.
Unfortunately, Snake's entire moveset doesn't quite fit an Advance Wars character. Both Snake and, say, Sami are soldiers, but AW's atmosphere is much goofier and cutesy than MGS, and giving Sami Snake's whole moveset would not properly reflect that.

Sami having normals akin to Snake's such as rockets, land mines, etc would work fine, but an AW rep's special moves should reflect the colorful, happy, and charming atmosphere of AW, and that would require a unique moveset.

I approve of Advance Wars getting a spot in Smash.
It's such a good Game(s)
Thanks! It frustrates me that the series hasn't seen any representation yet. It's a fantastic series, and quite a sizable one too! I really hope we don't get passed over again this time, but I can't help but feel that AW's chances for a rep are not great.

I agree with Wars deserving a spot in SSB.

I also agree with Sami being a better choice over Andy in so many ways (personality, moveset potential, gender...).

So yeah, Sami for Sm4sh!
Thanks! I am really hoping that Sami's status as one of three main characters of the series would be enough to give her at least a fighting chance of inclusion over Andy, even though it's quite unlikely. She would be a much more interesting inclusion.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Thanks! It frustrates me that the series hasn't seen any representation yet.
Now when you mention it, I get frustrated as well.
I can't remember how many hours I've spent on AW and AW2.

Now how do we reach Sakurai?

btw, t'd be cool if you added "marching in" in the Thread Title :p

OT: Do you know if there will be an AW-game for 3DS?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
btw, t'd be cool if you added "marching in" in the Thread Title :p
I am indeed working on a "joins the fight" logo for Sami.

OT: Do you know if there will be an AW-game for 3DS?
There's been some weird noise coming out of Intelligent Systems lately. There were a few interviews earlier in the year, prompted no doubt by FE:A's colossal success, in which the interviewers also asked Intelligent Systems if they have plans to make another AW. In the first interview the team had to ask each other who would answer the question and then said that they'd like to make another AW, and in the second one they said, and I quote,
Kouhei Maeda said:
“Whether or not we have plans to bring out a new entry in the Advance Wars series is a secret.”
Simply something being lost in translation, or a hint that a new AW game is in development? You decide! Personally, I hope it's the latter, and a return to Wars World at that. DoR was a nice experiment, but if they want to revive the series they need to return to its roots. Definitely keep the DoR unit roster, though. Best unit roster and balance in the series.

It should of course be noted that Nintendo and not IS gets to determine whether a new AW game will be made, so any enthusiasm for a new one on the part of IS can only go so far.

Still, Paper Mario is done, Awakening is done, and SMTxFE seems like the Atlus team will be handling more of the development, so if Nintendo does want to put out a new AW, this is the perfect time.

If they do a new game, I really hope that they return to Wars World, cut out all of the silly crap of DS, and just go back to the basics of AW gameplay but with a larger cast of COs and perhaps the DoR unit roster. Take DS's more realistic character designs if you want to appeal to people who liked the "mature" atmosphere of DoR and fans of the old aesthetic alike.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm all for her. Love Advance Wars and she's my favorite CO with Kanbei.

In fact, Advance Wars need to come back with the original cast and the basic gameplay. Inteligent System said they're considering a new game, correct?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm all for her. Love Advance Wars and she's my favorite CO with Kanbei.

In fact, Advance Wars need to come back with the original cast and the basic gameplay. Inteligent System said they're considering a new game, correct?
Yeah, and they then said that "whether or not we are making a new AW game is a secret." So it's possible that they are working on one, though of course that wording could simply be intent garbled in translation, and Nintendo holds final say on whether or not a new AW is made.

I too hope that we return to the old cast, especially since DoR is pretty nicely wrapped up. If IS wants to shake things up they can do a timeskip or something. Just give me the cheery old atmosphere back.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
This'd be so awesome. A soldier chick would be fantastic. Especially now that i'm starting to worry snake might get cut... she could fill the soldier role, in a more atypical fashion.
I like the vehicles in the moveset, so long as they're kept cartoony and maybe even smaller that sami is, to emphasise the chibi feel.

man, i'd love to see wars get a stage or a character. doubt it though, they sold pretty **** in Japan.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
This'd be so awesome. A soldier chick would be fantastic. Especially now that i'm starting to worry snake might get cut... she could fill the soldier role, in a more atypical fashion.
I like the vehicles in the moveset, so long as they're kept cartoony and maybe even smaller that sami is, to emphasise the chibi feel.

man, i'd love to see wars get a stage or a character. doubt it though, they sold pretty **** in Japan.

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet
If they do put in an Advance wars character I would hate it hate it, if Andy is in. UGh. Sami's that chick!

For her special Moves at least, here's what I got.

Neutral B: Machine Gun Spray - Long range attack
Side B: Grenade Toss ala Snake
Up B: Copter Ladder - Small Helicopter appears and she hangs from the ladder for a short time. Pressing B shoots bullets from her gun.
Down B: Turret Set Up - Press it once to build it halfway, press it twice to set it up. It hits an approaching enemy from any direction, but can be destroyed if it takes enough hits.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's admittedly a problem, but from what I have heard Punch Out! isn't very popular in Japan either and yet Little Mac is a SSB4 frontrunner for inclusion. So who knows! Plus, the fact that AW did get an assist trophy can't be overlooked. An assist trophy isn't as nice as an actual rep, but it's still recognition, and most series which got an assist trophy are likely on the cusp of playability (see: Animal Crossing). Too bad the assist trophy didn't have a CO to go with the units, though. Would really have helped visibility.

I envision the vehicles as definitely being smaller than Sami, kind of like the AW1 cover where they are all basically bigger than the tank.

I approve of this. Also, Sami is much more appealing then Andy from what i've read here.
Andy's undoubtedly wrench-based moveset would be interesting, but visually I feel that he is unable to represent the warlike side of Advance Wars as well as Sami can, since Andy using actual weapons would feel a little wrong. My main fear is just his voice. It could be horrifying.

If they do put in an Advance wars character I would hate it hate it, if Andy is in. UGh. Sami's that chick!

For her special Moves at least, here's what I got.

Neutral B: Machine Gun Spray - Long range attack
Side B: Grenade Toss ala Snake
Up B: Copter Ladder - Small Helicopter appears and she hangs from the ladder for a short time. Pressing B shoots bullets from her gun.
Down B: Turret Set Up - Press it once to build it halfway, press it twice to set it up. It hits an approaching enemy from any direction, but can be destroyed if it takes enough hits.
Nice moveset! I do hope that she'd be able to get away with her machine gun, but sadly probably not. Maybe if they made it shoot lasers bolts? :grin: Still, the bazooka is a fine fallback.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Dude, you should give her throws.
Dthrow should easily be Capture Stomp, and it'd be her most damaging throw.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Haha, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that! Oh my god that would be amazing.

On that note, as weird as having a growing building as a recovery would be, I really want that as the recovery for any Advance Wars character. It's just so quintessentially AW. I'd also accept a T-Copter.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, the Dthrow could be the "Capture Stomping", and the up+b "Finished Capturing Rise".

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wouldn't want her to build anything like a tank or building, but things that resembles those thing. What if she could capture parts of the stage for a short period of time.

MoveSet:
Special neutral: Capture - Sami can go to anywhere on the stage and capture part of it. That means that a generic but small building would rise differentiate by her palette color. It would do minimal damage but main it could be used as a platform. Different Sami's can't capture different buildings other than their own. She can do up to 2. Can be destroyed by opponents.
Forward: Bazooka Shot. Sami fires a Bazooka.
Up: Bazooka Jet. Sami aims her bazooka diagonally and it firs her upwards. Different than other recoveries in that the main damage comes from the bottom.
Down: Anti-Tank Unit. She creates a anti-tank that attacks any people who come close to it. It has up to three shots, but can only fire in one direction. Can be destroyed by opponents.

Final Smash - Victory March.
Sami can now capture up to 4, but now the buildings explode shortly after, with sizable knockback damage. All her other attacks are improved, and she emits a blinking glow.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The idea of "capturing" parts of the stage is very cool! I like it. Yet another example of the incredibly unique moveset potential offered by an AW character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... Sami looks like a cool addition. I don't have much knowledge on Sami, as I haven't played any Wars game, but still, I support her.

If Snake gets cut for whatever reason, Sami could take on some of his moveset, I think.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hmm... Sami looks like a cool addition. I don't have much knowledge on Sami, as I haven't played any Wars game, but still, I support her.

If Snake gets cut for whatever reason, Sami could take on some of his moveset, I think.
Thanks! Normals akin to Snake's would definitely work well for Sami, as she is a special forces commando and always appears with weaponry in her art. Snake's specials wouldn't be as fitting, but the normals (land mine, rocket launcher, mortar, etc) definitely fit well.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd really like to see Sami in Smash 4 ^^ she was my favorite CO in the original AW. I really like all the ideas in this thread for a moveset. I have like nothing to add though other then my support.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Some good ideas here. I feel like we easily can get around the "no real guns" thing by being a bit creative.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, AW has a much easier time getting around the anti-firearms rule than MGS.
I agree. Do you think oversized novelty bullets could work? Not huge, but large enough to be disassociated from real ones.
I think jaytalks uses of the bazooka for >b and ^b are great because of association with mech units, Sami having a bazooka on the the cover and also maintaining the war tone in an acceptable way.

However, the machine gun is such an integral part of her look, it needs to be on her back at the very least... And I've a (possibly silly) idea to integrate into her moveset...
Maybe, use it as a melee weapon for some of her standard attacks?
Comparable to how ZSS uses the paralyzer to pistol whip. To brush over why she doesn't just fire bullets, Sakurai could just mention in an interview/direct (or the website, if it includes text later) that it's out of ammo, make a quip about needing an APC... To emphasise that one of her taunts could be Sami trying to fire the gun, but nothing comes out and the bullet no-ammo symbol flashes above her head like it would an infantry unit.. she looks at it with disappointment and puts it away. thoughts?

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, AW has a much easier time getting around the anti-firearms rule than MGS.
I agree. Do you think oversized novelty bullets could work? Not huge, but large enough to be disassociated from real ones.
I think jaytalks uses of the bazooka for >b and ^b are great because of association with mech units, Sami having a bazooka on the the cover and also maintaining the war tone in an acceptable way.

However, the machine gun is such an integral part of her look, it needs to be on her back at the very least... And I've a (possibly silly) idea to integrate into her moveset...
Comparable to how ZSS uses the paralyzer to pistol whip. To brush over why she doesn't just fire bullets, Sakurai could just mention in an interview/direct (or the website, if it includes text later) that it's out of ammo, make a quip about needing an APC... To emphasise that one of her taunts could be Sami trying to fire the gun, but nothing comes out and the bullet no-ammo symbol flashes above her head like it would an infantry unit.. she looks at it with disappointment and puts it away. thoughts?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Many good ideas in this thread.
I'll make some moves myself:

Neutral B - Assault Rifle:
Sami fires 3 Round Bursts with her Assault Rifle.
3% per bullet.
Knockback is same as Shiek's needles.

Side B - Mini Tank:
Sami places a Remote Controlled Mini Tank on the ground.
You can go back/forth and fire the cannon, as well as selfdestruct to regain control over Sami.
Up/down controls the aim. Fire with A.
10% damage, medium knockback.

Down B - CO Power, Double Time:
This manouver charges up over time.
When fully charged (about 30 seconds), press down B to activate it, and Sami yells "Double Time!".
For 5 seconds, all opponents are 50% slower.

Up B: Maybe later.

Final Smash - CO Power, Victory March:
All opponents are 50% slower for 20 seconds, and all Sami's attacks are x3 more powerful.
Dthrow is insta-KO.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Side B - Mini Tank:
Sami places a Remote Controlled Mini Tank on the ground.
You can go back/forth and fire the cannon, as well as selfdestruct to regain control over Sami.
Up/down controls the aim. Fire with A.
10% damage, medium knockback.

bro, I think you're really onto something with the idea of her specials controlling remote-controlled vehicles from the AW series.
One of the more unique characters, comparable to Olimar. Side b - mini tank, Up b - B-copter, down b - anti-tank/artillery, b aforementioned capture idea...

The bazooka ideas could be worked into the standard moveset a la Snake's rocket launcher... the recovery could be her dair; it could work as a small recovery/meteor smash. It is possible, the standard attacks are becoming a lot more varied.
And I like the idea of the standards drawing on Sami being a soldier with strong ties to infantry and mech units (and as such borrowing their weapons), and her specials drawing on her position as a Commanding Officer.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
for some reason everything i post is double-posting...? sorry, y'all!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Guys, you need to draw pictures of Nami on Miiverse and write "Commander Nami marches in".
I just did it, and ppl seemed to like it.

Oppearation Miiverse Nami Spam begin !!

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
COMMANDER NAMI MARCHES IN!! That is AWESOME!

you can go on miiverse on the internet sans wii U, yeah? cuz I'm on this bandwagon.

Also, in regards the summoning vehicles idea... I think when the units are summoned they should perform their interaction automatically before disappearing/waiting for opponent to destroy them, like an AT.
BUT if Sami attaches herself to the vehicle, she will have control.
Eg. hop on the tank, can no control bullet fire and movement. Stand behind anti-tank/artillery and press standard attack button and she can control the angle of fire for more precise aiming, as well charge shots for increased distance/power. B copter would be different, as she would have to attach herself automatically for the recovery to work. But maybe the opposite can happen; you can hop off early to let the b copter automatically hone in on and attack enemies before disappearing/being destroyed.

Not only does it make more sense as a battle style more so than a summons character, i think it serves a s a throwback to Dark Conflict (or days of ruin if 'murica) where the COs could inhabit the vehicles.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
whoops, didn't even notice....

I'm cool with any badass redhead chick, though

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
whoops, didn't even notice....

I'm cool with any badass redhead chick, though

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
COMMANDER NAMI MARCHES IN!! That is AWESOME!

you can go on miiverse on the internet sans wii U, yeah? cuz I'm on this bandwagon.

Also, in regards the summoning vehicles idea... I think when the units are summoned they should perform their interaction automatically before disappearing/waiting for opponent to destroy them, like an AT.
BUT if Sami attaches herself to the vehicle, she will have control.
Eg. hop on the tank, can no control bullet fire and movement. Stand behind anti-tank/artillery and press standard attack button and she can control the angle of fire for more precise aiming, as well charge shots for increased distance/power. B copter would be different, as she would have to attach herself automatically for the recovery to work. But maybe the opposite can happen; you can hop off early to let the b copter automatically hone in on and attack enemies before disappearing/being destroyed.

Not only does it make more sense as a battle style more so than a summons character, i think it serves a s a throwback to Dark Conflict (or days of ruin if 'murica) where the COs could inhabit the vehicles.
Could be an interesting mechanic! Vehicle summoning can be taken in a lot of different directions, which is yet another reason I'd like to see an AW CO in Smash.

Guys, you need to draw pictures of Nami on Miiverse and write "Commander Nami marches in".
I just did it, and ppl seemed to like it.

Oppearation Miiverse Nami Spam begin !!
If you draw or see any good ones, post them here! I'd love to see them. Thanks for getting the word out. Any more publicity for AW is always nice.

I also love the idea of an Advance Wars character having a Wario Fart-style chargeable Down-B COP. Very, very cool! This is the kind of unique moveset potential I knew an Advance Wars character could bring.

I too thought about having her gun fire the cartoony pellet bullets that the AW assist trophy infantrymen fire. It'd still be a gun firing bullets at the end of the day, though, and the realistic nature of her M16 would most likely trip flags.

I'd definitely love her to be carrying the machine gun and do physical hits with it even if she can't fire it, but having a gun be present at all would probably qualify as a no-no if her firing bullets was a problem in the first place. To make up for it, they could always have her sling the rocket launcher on her back. As long as she is carrying some kind of weapon, her AW look will be more or less preserved.

Gonna edit the OP with these new potential moveset ideas in a bit. The idea of having her summon controllable minions is also really neat, and expresses AW in Smash very well while creating a very unique character. Great stuff, guys! It's too bad that we got into the swing of things after Sakurai already closed fan suggestions.

Top Bottom