• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Doki Doki Panic...Imajin for Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
There is a character I wanted to see in Brawl, a character I feel more than deserves representation in a game that celebrates Nintendo, despite that many have long forgotten about him and his game and plenty more never even knew about him.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1598/151/1600/mario_imajin_doki_doki_panic.jpg

How about this: Imajin. He is the main character Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. Otherwise known as Super Mario Bros 2. He is a first party character. And his creator? None other than Shigeru Miyamoto himself.

Now, first, i'll explain the game. It was created as a Japan exclusive for the Famicom disc system. It was well received platformer about a family trying to rescue kids. When it was time to release Super Mario Bros 2 in the United States of America, Nintendo decided the real SMB2 (later released here as Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels), was too hard of a game for the American audience.

So the solution? They gave Doki Doki Panic a Mario face lift. They replaced Imajin, Papa, Mama and Lina (the Yume Kojo family and main characters of the game) with Mario, Peach, Luigi, and Toad. They changed many other things as well, which can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Kōjō:_Doki_Doki_Panic

Imajin is the main character of what is the 2nd Mario game in the USA. He is a very unknown, yet very historical Nintendo character. If he doesnt seem important or historical enough yet, consider this: it was Imajin's game for which Birdo, Wart, and the ShyGuy's were created. Without Imajin's game, these characters would never have been in a single Mario main series game, let alone the spinoff games in which those characters appear so prominantly. Another small factoid: The alternate world in Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros 2 is called the Subspace.

Super Mario Bros 2 has been ported to the snes (all-stars), gba, wii (all stars), and virtual console. The characters and themes from the game have been adapted into Mario main series games as well as spinoff games countless times across every console generation. And none of this would have ever happened, so many classic characters would have never been a part of the Mario universe had it not been for Imajin's game.

In all seriousness, this character needs to gain a following. Imajin was created by Miyamoto, and I honestly think the only thing holding him back from a Smash roster spot is that he isn't remembered. I hope that with this post, I've done a little reminding as to how important Imajin and his game are to the history of the Mario franchise.

Imajin for Smash!

Here is an example of how he could look as a Smash character (credit goes to http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Fanten_Expo/Fantasy_Factory)
image.jpg

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Another small factoid: The alternate world in Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros 2 is called the Subspace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it SubCon? As in subconscious, hence the "dream" aspect?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm pretty sure that Imajin and his family were created by Fuji Television for the Fume Kojo event, and not by Nintendo.

As such, while they're probably most famous for appearing in a video game, they did not originate in video games and were not created by Nintendo (probably not owned by them either).

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that Imajin and his family were created by Fuji Television for the Fume Kojo event, and not by Nintendo.

As such, while they're probably most famous for appearing in a video game, they did not originate in video games and were not created by Nintendo (probably not owned by them either).
I remember reading that Nintendo created the game with a partnership with Fuji for the Fume Kojo event, but that Nintendo held the rights to the game as well as the characters. Unfortunately, I can't find the website...obviously I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% sure that Nintendo owns the game, and I do know that Miyamoto created the game and characters.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm still not sure if Imajin can be legally used again by Nintendo, and I've done a good amount of research on the topic too. Of course, it's been a while.

I'd like to see him as an Assist Trophy for sure, or at least as a cameo in a SMB2-themed stage.

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
Hmm. No.

Doki Doki Panic being a Japan only, carried over by SMB2, Imajin may not be the Japanese rep

Baby and Milon are more eye-catching.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
What exactly would he do? Peach already represents the SMB2/Doki Doki Panic gameplay in her moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it SubCon? As in subconscious, hence the "dream" aspect?
No... the world itself is Subcon... but the alternate world you enter via potions is Subspace.

What exactly would he do? Peach already represents the SMB2/Doki Doki Panic gameplay in her moveset.
And now Luigi represents the SMB2 gameplay with the addition of his flutter jump.

I hope Toad joins Mario, Luigi, and Peach as a playable character in SSB4. I want to have all four characters from SMB2 playable in SSB4.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I want him, as an alternate custom ;D
Subcon needs more love, but i dont think it needs it in this way...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I saw somebody else suggest Imajin on the miiverse...maybe he is gaining a following? hoping!

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading that Nintendo created the game with a partnership with Fuji for the Fume Kojo event, but that Nintendo held the rights to the game as well as the characters. Unfortunately, I can't find the website...obviously I could be wrong, but I'm almost 100% sure that Nintendo owns the game, and I do know that Miyamoto created the game and characters.
I remember reading a lot of things that aren't true either. Fuji Television's Yume Kojo festival had nothing to do with Nintendo initially and Miyamoto certainly did not create the characters. Even the games credits state they were designed by "Sugiyan"/Fuji TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKgKqoZonU). The festival itself took place before the game was even released.

You can read about the event here (Japanese): https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/コミュニケーションカーニバル_夢工場'87

If you want to support Imajin as a third party character, then sure. But he is 100% not Nintendo. Something tells me Fuji Television and NIntendo aren't going to be too enthusiastic about bringing attention to characters that neither of them have used in over 25 years.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I could have sworn that I read that Nintendo owned the characters...I'll try and find the source...but honestly, I still feel the same about him as a character either way. What he and his game mean to the history of Nintendo and the Mario franchise warrant the roster spot.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about Doki Doki panic and wondering if Imajin has a support thread. Of course he does. Smashboards never fails.
Anyway like many I'm not sure about the legality regarding Imajin, but if it is possible for him to appear in the game I totally support him.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about Doki Doki panic and wondering if Imajin has a support thread. Of course he does. Smashboards never fails.
Anyway like many I'm not sure about the legality regarding Imajin, but if it is possible for him to appear in the game I totally support him.
I'm not 100% positive, but IIRC the character was created by Miyamoto and while Nintendo didn't own the event, they do own the characters. I swear, sometimes I wish I could find a way to have 10 minutes to talk with Miyamoto or Sakurai in order to plead my case for Imajin. I really think he'd be a fantastic character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom