• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Considering the Confirmed Characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It's no secret that Nintendo wants to surprise us with the reveal of new characters, but why do you think they announced the veterans they did? Here's my theory.

Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu have always been the first characters revealed, so I don't consider that a sign of anything. But the other confirmed veterans are Donkey Kong, Fox, Samus, Bowser, and Pit. To me, Samus, Donkey Kong, and Fox, being part of the original 12 are probably there just to show off new models.

But here's where the speculation begins: The currently revealed newcomers (Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer) were not dependent on any other characters, making their reveal easy. But most newcomers are dependent on other characters. This leads me to think that the next newcomers will be Bowser Jr. and Palutena (or another Kid Icarus rep if Pit's Final Smash remains the same). King K. Rool and Ridley are in the same boat, but Bowser and Pit stand out as not being part of the original 12.

Also, since Wario wasn't shown, that leads me to think that if Waluigi makes an appearance, he'll be unlockable.

Do you guys agree with my speculation?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't agree on Waluigi. He has never appeared in a Wario Ware Title, and would be categorized as a Mario character most likely.

On the website, the top 4 veterans are Mario, DK, Link, and Samus. In the list, Pikachu and Kirby are not in the top four. Take it as what you will, but it could be that they will be receiving more content in the form of playable characters this time.

Bowser I believe was included because they changed his model and movement capabilities, which is the same as Pit's situation. They are different from their Brawl counterparts.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Samus has always been revealed as early as Kirby, Pikachua and Mario. DK is easily as big a character and franchise as those six, I'd say he just wasn't revealed early in Brawl cuz in his Melee-Brawl days he'd hit a bit of a rut. And if they put in those six, Starfox just kinda rounds off the key long standing Smash franchises.
As for Pit and Bowser, I think they were there to rep Brawl and Melee, and to showcase new movesets. Also, Pit's Sakkurai's new baby.
Though the Pit/Palutena thing definitely crossed my mind, too.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
On the website, the top 4 veterans are Mario, DK, Link, and Samus. In the list, Pikachu and Kirby are not in the top four. Take it as what you will, but it could be that they will be receiving more content in the form of playable characters this time.
As an extra note it's probably worth mentioning that while Pikachu and Kirby were part of the Big 4 in Brawl they each brought 2 newcomers.

No reason for Samus at least to be boosted in status if she isn't supposed to bring forth anything new from her franchise, Metroid was the 3rd mentioned title in the trailer too. DK is understandable, big franchise, recognizable name, just had a return to form, but Metroid? No way it would get so much attention without something being planned for it, no way Samus could boot off Kirby and freaking Pikachu unless something is planned at least.

It was obviously easy to reveal Villager, Mega Man and WFT since they aren't part of any established franchises, I'm unsure if they're the only ones of their kind though, I'd be surprised if Little Mac isn't in. I'm expecting Palutena to be the next newcomer, or maybe Chrom will get a somewhat early reveal like Ike did.

I think it's saying something at least.

Btw, as someone else mentioned, Bowser was likely shown off early because of his revamped moveset.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit and Bowser are indeed the only ones not from the original 12, along with the newcomers of course. As I said before, Smash4 development began after Kid Icarus Uprising was completed, that of which Sakurai was the head of the game as well. It seemed like a coincidence that Pit would be shown this early, and already showing that he has new moves inspired and influenced by KI:U. Though the development is still far from done, I am expecting Palutena to be revealed as a newcomer eventually. So far, that and an improved Pit are my top concerns.

For Bowser's case, I guess it was to show off some of his new tricks, though I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr. being another one of those newcomers too. I wonder if they're gonna give Bowser his voice that he's had recently, that originated from Mario Galaxy. It would make Bowser sound more cooler. As said before, Pit and Bowser are the only current veterans with new moves shown atm, at least that's what I remember.
As for the Waluigi thing, I cannot agree with it. We may have to just face the fact that he just isn't that big like Wario (who has his independent series) is and won't make it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think nobody has pointed this out yet, there has been exactly 1 Brawl veteran and 1 Melee veteran revealed. Make of it as you will.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What FalKoopa said, basically. Bowser and Pit were Melee and Brawl's arguably most prominent newcomers, respectively, since Bowser topped that game's poll by an insane margin and was a big enough villain to have a new original boss designed in his image, whereas Pit was a fan favorite revitalized by Uprising.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
The veterans are just listed in the order they premiered in the series. In 64 it was Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu. It's the same as on the new Dojo aside from Yoshi currently missing. If he pops up before the site gets a redesign, I'm positive he'll be next to Kirby and Fox will move down next to Pikachu.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the real question is why the hell bowser not included in smash bros and luigi was. Same with jiggs over mewtwo. Sense making has always been at a minimum for sacks your eye.
'Cause clones are easier to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom