• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
From Earthbound

Same moves as Ness/Lucas as far as THEME is concerned but entirely different mechanically. Let me give some examples:

GRAB: PK Fire. She shoots the famous pk fire bolt and it travels aa short distance (shorter than Ness') but the attack counts as a grab(hits through shield and cannot be reflected). When a person is hit with this they become grabbed at the point of impact(not at where Paula is). You can then pummel them(Paula will psychically burn them) or throw them as would with any other grab, but they are thrown from the spot they are in where PK Fire hits them and not from where Paula is.

downSmash: PK Freeze. This would have a stunning effect like ZSS downsmash, but it would hit on both sides and charging it would increase its range instead of its power.

upSmash: PK Flash. Just the explosion part without the normal charge on Ness' PK Flash. Charging this smash would increase the size and power of the attack.

downB: Teddy Bear. Paula drops a Bowser-sized stuffed bear(in front of her if on the ground or below her if in the air) that will act as both a wall and a platform(no ledges). The bear will be immovable but have HP as well as a time limit. Paula, of course, can only have one active at a time and once she has placed it she cannot remove it except by depleting its HP(or by having it fall off stage by spawning it there).

upB: PK Thunder. Still the recovery, but very different. Moves much faster than Ness'/Lucas' and can turn much tighter as well. The projectile is also a good deal smaller. It moves through enemies like Lucas' but only has the hit effect of the TAIL from Ness' pk thunder. Hitting herself with it causes her to "teleport" in the direction she would fly, reappearing after a set distance or when reaching a wall/ledge. Should would explode upon reappearing and deal damage/knockback. Before hitting herself with PK Thunder she can cancel it at any time by shielding or airdodging. Laser-type projectile that cannot be destroyed with other attacks.

Uair: Around the World. This is Ness' upsmash. Now it's stronger and also Paula's uair.

Nair: Same as Ness/Peach/Zelda/DK/etc.

B: Slingshot. Fire very quickly but has short range if not charged. Always fires in front of her and the projectile falls to the ground when the distance comes to an end. Will deal damage and hitstun during its entire flight time. Standard projectile that can be blocked with attacks.

Final Smash: Pray. Has some ****ty random effect that is good but not that great. If you use this 9 times in a single match the game ends with you(or your team) as the winners.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A 3rd Mother rep is highly unlikely, but the only contenders I see for that spot are Porky, Masked Man, Jeff and Ninten.

I'd prefer Porky.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A 3rd Mother rep is highly unlikely, but the only contenders I see for that spot are Porky, Masked Man, Jeff and Ninten.

I'd prefer Porky.
Jeff is equal to Paula (Both are partners of Ness)
Porky basically compiles only its Mother sequels.
Masked Man is fine because he just looks like a badass with potential in my eyes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Jeff is equal to Paula
Jeff has a bit more prominence in Brawl. Those fearsome rockets.
Jeff > Paula.

I won't respond to the comment on Porky, because you are biased towards Ninten and I'm biased towards Porky. :laugh:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see Paula ever having a chance of being added to the universe of Smash Bros. If the Mother series get a 3rd rep then it's going to be a villain but you did an amazing job on Paula's move set and Final Smash. You may even be her rather first supporter or most dedicated fan. I wouldn't mind if she appeared.

You should have created a more appealing title to get her noticed as well as gaining more support.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I don't see Paula ever getting in as playable. Although the teddy bear move is neat.
She seems more destined to be an assist character.

The rest of the earthbound/mother cast is just way more diverse and different.
Claus, Porky, Jeff, Duster, Kumatora would be considered over her.

If they want a female rep Kumatora just makes more sense. She's got a personality, she's more recent, and sets herself out to be different from Paula, and Ana.

If they want a villain Claus or Porky make sense.
Jeff and Duster being more unique play style choices.
Even as a last minute clone Ninten makes more sense. =x

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
...How many times a day am I going to see "THE SERIES HAS TOO MANY CHARACTERS/ENOUGH" argument?

Masked Man is pretty much a lock unless they want to last-minute clone Ninten, and even I (who's probably one of the biggest Mother fans here) doubts that.

Paula's cool and all but as D3monic said, Kumatora really has more personality.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think I'd rather have someone from the first Mother game as a newcomer (Ana, perhaps?) That way we could have someone representing each game in the trilogy.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
...How many times a day am I going to see "THE SERIES HAS TOO MANY CHARACTERS/ENOUGH" argument?
I'm not a fan of that argument either. It made sense in the past, when Sakurai didn't want to over rep a series like kirby in smash64 or melee, when Bowser, Peach, Wario, Zelda, diddy, and ect were missing... but there aren't a lot of big star characters left. I'll agree that Mother/Earthbound isn't big enough to warrant 2 newcomers per game, but I don't think a series should be overlooked because of how small it is for future games.

@Kapus, Ana is basically Paula. Not the same character, but similar designs, powers, and persona. Ninten is the best shot the series has at a rep.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
While I definitely agree that Ninten has the best chance out of anyone (the other two games got their main characters as reps, after all), I think Ninten and Ness are more similar in design than Ana and Paula are. I can hardly tell them apart!

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Wow

I was not expecting replies on the likelihood of this character being in smash, but I guess those are as good as any. Does anyone have anything to say about the character design or the mechanics of the few moves I listed?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember once support Paula for Brawl, having somewhat of a moveset that'd become Lucas's somewhat. Suggested it even to this one guy in DA:

Nowadays though, I just thing an Alt.skin if possible would suffice much better.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I remember once support Paula for Brawl, having somewhat of a moveset that'd become Lucas's somewhat. Suggested it even to this one guy in DA:

Nowadays though, I just thing an Alt.skin if possible would suffice much better.
I like myself a good clone character. I always try to remind people that what many call
"clones" are very different. What with different weights, fall speeds, run speeds, sizes, tractions, damage, knockback, jump height, double jump height, along with changes on their B moves. I'm very surprised when people refer to Falco and Fox in BRAWL as clones. Ness and DK have more in common than Fox and Falco.

For this, though, I was going for something different.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I really like the sound of that there moveset. specially the teddy bear. Pray could do with a bit more thought, maybe.
I think she'd be cool though. Her look would be pretty distinctive for brawl; the whole innocent but powerful school girl shtick.
but for peeps saying she's got no chance... is that informed by fan demand? cuz in terms of mother, she's like the first to join ness, and pray is like hpw you defeat gigyas, right? surely that counts for a bit?

Luigithemetal64

Smash Rookie
From Earthbound

Same moves as Ness/Lucas as far as THEME is concerned but entirely different mechanically. Let me give some examples:

GRAB: PK Fire. She shoots the famous pk fire bolt and it travels aa short distance (shorter than Ness') but the attack counts as a grab(hits through shield and cannot be reflected). When a person is hit with this they become grabbed at the point of impact(not at where Paula is). You can then pummel them(Paula will psychically burn them) or throw them as would with any other grab, but they are thrown from the spot they are in where PK Fire hits them and not from where Paula is.

downSmash: PK Freeze. This would have a stunning effect like ZSS downsmash, but it would hit on both sides and charging it would increase its range instead of its power.

upSmash: PK Flash. Just the explosion part without the normal charge on Ness' PK Flash. Charging this smash would increase the size and power of the attack.

downB: Teddy Bear. Paula drops a Bowser-sized stuffed bear(in front of her if on the ground or below her if in the air) that will act as both a wall and a platform(no ledges). The bear will be immovable but have HP as well as a time limit. Paula, of course, can only have one active at a time and once she has placed it she cannot remove it except by depleting its HP(or by having it fall off stage by spawning it there).

upB: PK Thunder. Still the recovery, but very different. Moves much faster than Ness'/Lucas' and can turn much tighter as well. The projectile is also a good deal smaller. It moves through enemies like Lucas' but only has the hit effect of the TAIL from Ness' pk thunder. Hitting herself with it causes her to "teleport" in the direction she would fly, reappearing after a set distance or when reaching a wall/ledge. Should would explode upon reappearing and deal damage/knockback. Before hitting herself with PK Thunder she can cancel it at any time by shielding or airdodging. Laser-type projectile that cannot be destroyed with other attacks.

Uair: Around the World. This is Ness' upsmash. Now it's stronger and also Paula's uair.

Nair: Same as Ness/Peach/Zelda/DK/etc.

B: Slingshot. Fire very quickly but has short range if not charged. Always fires in front of her and the projectile falls to the ground when the distance comes to an end. Will deal damage and hitstun during its entire flight time. Standard projectile that can be blocked with attacks.

Final Smash: Pray. Has some ****ty random effect that is good but not that great. If you use this 9 times in a single match the game ends with you(or your team) as the winners.
Your attacks for Paula are not that unique. You're taking the idea of using moves that Ness and Lucas uses in a different control. Also, Pray as a Final Smash is not an interesting attack. Doing random events with that move doesn't seem either fair or help her. Here's my suggestion:

Forward Smash A: Fry pan

Aerial A: Split Kick. Like Ness's in SSB 64.

B: PK Freeze. It doesn't automatically go forward while Lucas' does. Tilt forward for her attack.

Side B: PK Fire. Travels longer than Ness's

Up B: PK Thunder. Damages opponents but won't cause the ball to disappear. When she hits herself, she will cause multiple damage to her target like Lucas'.

Down B: PSI Magnet. Larger than Ness's or Lucas'

Final Smash: PK Fire Ω. When it touches something, it explodes. This'll cause lots of damage. Anywhere between 40%-60%. It's 1.5 times stronger than the Smart Bomb. It may or may not do a KO.

What do you think of all of these moves? All of these moves are exactly the moves that she uses in the Mother games.

Last edited:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Did you just call my ideas where I took the B moves from the other characters and made them into Paula's A moves and entirely changed the mechanics on them and just kept the names/flavor the same "not unique" and then you went and made a movelist where Paula has the same B moves as Ness/Lucas? Jeez...

And since when have final smashes been fair?

EDIT: Hey wtf you are from Lodi? You should come over and play Melee with me.

Last edited:

Luigithemetal64

Smash Rookie
Using Pray to end the game is just unacceptable because it's not an attack. It doesn't do any damage to any player. Final Smashes is suppose to have an effect on the players, not to the game. That's why I suggest the PK Fire Ω.
Also, in the Mother games, Paula, Poo and Kumatora were the ones uses PKs Fire, Freeze, Thunder, PSI Magnet. If you ever play those games, you would believe me. That's fine if Ness and Lucas borrows one of their friends' moves, it better if they have a couple of their own like PKs Flash, Rockin, and Love. I'm just trying make the moves true to the Mother series and fun.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Pray should have a random effect on the players or the screen. Random effects should include healing everyone a little bit, reviving an opponent who died, a chasing light instakill, status ailments like causing everyone to go to sleep, making the screen flash, that sort of thing.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Using Pray to end the game is just unacceptable because it's not an attack. It doesn't do any damage to any player. Final Smashes is suppose to have an effect on the players, not to the game. That's why I suggest the PK Fire Ω.
Also, in the Mother games, Paula, Poo and Kumatora were the ones uses PKs Fire, Freeze, Thunder, PSI Magnet. If you ever play those games, you would believe me. That's fine if Ness and Lucas borrows one of their friends' moves, it better if they have a couple of their own like PKs Flash, Rockin, and Love. I'm just trying make the moves true to the Mother series and fun.
It only ends the game if you use it nine times. I never went into detail about the other random effects it might have before that.

And yes I know that Paula uses those moves(I played those games many times) which is why I gave them to her.

EDIT: also any interest in playing Melee with me? We live so close to each other.

Last edited:

Luigithemetal64

Smash Rookie
The game doesn't need a new, and an alternative way of ending a match. Pausing the game and pressing buttons is all we have to do. You need to face the facts.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
lol@face the facts

So when was the last time you ever saw 9 smash balls appear in one match let alone have them acquired all by the same player? Do you know how long a match would have to be for someone to get 9 final smashes? The game ending effect is more of an easter egg than anything and the more useful effects of the final smash would be the other random things it does that I didn't talk about. If the game has gone on long enough for a single character to get nine smash balls then it probably should have ended at least 4 smash balls ago.

EDIT: but really Luigithemetal64 do you wanna play Melee sometime?

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Three Earthbound characters, giggle, we might actually one get cut, I think its going to get cut to just Ness, she'd be a nice Assist Trophy though.

Luigithemetal64

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter how long the match is. Your idea of Pray is not an attack, it's sabotaging the game. If we want the game to end, just pause and press buttons. And, no, I will not come to play Melee because you know nothing about moves being used as attacks. PK Fire Ω is better than Pray. You can easily damage your target. That's the last time I'll talk about Paula's Final Smash Pray. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom