• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SIMON BELMONT: Castlevania's First Vampire Slaying Whip-Wielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Simon Belmont is both the first hero of the Castlevania series and the most iconic. Not only has he been in more titles than any other character, Konami has already used him to represent Castlevania in several separate fighting games, including the famous Smash-like DreamMix TV World Fighters.

Simon's most recent design

For more information, visit Simon's Castlevania Wikia page.

MY PROPOSED MOVESET
SPECIALS
Up Special​
WHIP LATCH
A tether recovery that functions similarly to Zero Suit Samus's but at the angle of Olimar's. If the tip of the whip connects with an enemy, they are grabbed and then thrown towards Simon, allowing him to combo them or potentially KO enemies towards the bottom of the stage. If an enemy is hit with the whip but not with the tip, they are lightly hit away.

All of the sub-weapon attacks (Cross, Axe, Holy Water) can be charged slightly for their Double Shot and Triple Shot versions. As the attack charges, Simon puts more of the weapon in his hand and the weapons become surrounded with fire making the weapons slightly stronger each stage. It goes from No fire => Red fire => Blue Fire =>Pure White flame
If the attack is charged significantly longer, its powerful “Item Crash” will be used.
Side Special​
CROSS TOSS
The cross projectile is a slow-moving boomerang that does low damage and knockback but goes through terrain. If Simon catches one on the return, it disappears. Otherwise, it just keeps going past him.
I. Throws a cross-shaped boomerang to the side.
II. Throws two boomerangs 15 degrees above and below sideways.
III. Throws three boomerangs: one to the side, one above, and one below.
Crash, GRAND CROSS: A giant ethereal cross forms around Simon. Beams of energy shoot out from the ends of the cross, damaging things to Simon's left, right, up, and down.

Neutral Special​
AXE ARC
The axe is a mid-damage, low knockback projectile that arcs into the air and then towards the ground. Hitting anything makes the axe disappear.
I. Lobs one axe into air up and forward.
II. Lobs two axes with the second one being slightly below the first.
III. Lobs three axes with the third being slightly above the first.
Crash, BLADE SHIELD: Four flaming axes start to encircle Simon to form a shield to interfere with enemy attacks. Each axe will only absorb about 7% damage before disappearing. If the axes hit an object or enemy, they deal 7% damage.

Down Special​
HOLY WATER VOLLEY
The Holy Water projectile is essentially a Molotov cocktail. On impact, the bottle breaks and showers liquid fire around it. The fire droplets deal continuous damage to enemies and objects and disappear after a few seconds.
I. Throws one down and to the right to cover a small area in front of Simon.
II. Throws a bottle down to either side of Simon.
III. Throws a bottle to either side of Simon and a third straight downward, essentially blanketing an area of the stage with flame.
Crash, DIVINE STORM: Simon raises his arms to the heavens, and a portal opens above him that rains down flaming holy water for 5 seconds creating a zone of damage.

Final Smash​
STOPWATCH
Time stops for everything except Simon. For the next 15 seconds, Simon can freely move around and attack enemies while they are frozen in place. When the Final Smash ends and time resumes, all enemies are launched based off of the last attack that hit them (for maximum effect versus a single target, he'd probably want to throw down a Holy Water for damage over time and start using quick attacks to rack up damage and then use a charged smash attack .
STANDARD ATTACKS

All of his whip attacks have a sweetspot at the whip tip when and where it cracks. A slight distortion occurs at the tip and the classic whip crack noise sounds, making it clear where it's best to catch your foes and on what frame.
Smash Attacks
Up: Simon does a spinning kick in the air and then whips out while spinning back to the ground. The kick knocks close enemies into the whip sweetspot and the whip tip itself if what launches enemies.
Side: Simon wraps the whip around himself while charging. On release, he spins around and lashes out powerfully. Like all of his whip strikes, it sweetspots at the tip but still damages closer enemies.
Down: Simon raises the whip and then snaps it twice, once at the ground in front of him and then once behind him.
Tilts and Jab
Jab: Simon smacks enemies with the hilt of his whip. Comparable to Ganondorf's jab, mostly useful for spacing.
Up: Simon simply whips directly upward. Fast and straightforward.
Side: Simon simply whips directly sideways. Fast and straightforward.
Down: Simon whips down on the ground in front of him like a lion trainer. Sends enemies upward.
Aerials
Up: Swings his whip in an arc above him, cracking it when it's directly above.
Forward: Essentially his side tilt attack. Straightforward lash in front of him.
Back: Leans back and lashes behind him.
Neutral: Simon spins horizontally in mid-air once with his whip circling around him. The whip cracks when it's crossing his body, effectively making it hit hardest on enemies overlapping Simon.
Down: Swings his whip in an arc below him and cracks it when it's directly underneath. The sweetspot spikes.
Throws
Grab: He lowers his arm a bit and swings the whip around waist level instead of chest level. If an enemy's close enough, he wraps it around them and brings them into his grip. Since he's using it to wrap around something and not to damage it, he does not crack the whip.
Smack: He hits a grabbed foe with the hilt of his whip.
Up: He trips them with his foot and then pulls the whip upward to send them spinning into the sky.
Forward: He yanks the whip that's around the enemy to unwrap it quickly, sending them spinning sideways like a top with a string. The throw launches at a fairly steep sideways angle.
Back: He pushes the grabbed enemy behind him and then whips them around the ankle to make them trip and faceplant which hits them away.
Down: He jumps onto the enemy and uses them as a ledge to jump up, then uses the whip to pull himself back towards them like a meteor, knocking them away.

Video of Simon Belmont in DreamMix TV World Fighters

BELMONTIAN BALLADS
Simon's theme song Vampire Killer from Castlevania: Judgment
Remix of Wicked Child
Bloody Tears version compilation
Simon's theme song from Super Castlevania IV

Support icon, courtesy of Frostwraith

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Definitely in support of simon, he would be a fantastic edition and hes easily one of my most wanted third party characters. Why this thread took as long as it did to come about is beyond me.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was really surprised to see that there've been absolutely no threads dedicated the Belmonts. Castlevania has had such a long and extensive history with Nintendo, I don't know why people aren't a little more excited for Simon.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd love to see this guy make it in though this thread could definitely use some muzak. Personal favorites are Wicked Child and Bloody Tears.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've added some music links to the OP.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
That is an awesome moveset--very inventive and respects the history and tradition of Simon and Castlevania.
I thought Simon would be an excellent addition to the next Smash Bros, too (included him in the prediction thread).

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
either Simon cause he classic Nintendo, or Gabriel Belmont ( like a more modern simon) or just have it as a pallet swap like wario has biker and old school

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It'd be fun to see different Simon designs and different Belmonts as alternate costumes. I do think that Simon would be the one to get into Smash since historically speaking he's been Konami's choice character to put in crossover fighting games.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have to say, I like the 2008 version. Although if he is fighting vampires maybe he should protect the neck a little more. The exposed chest though is fine.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have to say, I like the 2008 version. Although if he is fighting vampires maybe he should protect the neck a little more. The exposed chest though is fine.
Oh really? I don't think it'd show up in Smash... the game it came from got reallllllly bad reviews, largely because of people hating the character designs (and the gameplay sucked, but mostly the designs).

They took characters like Grant Danasty (
) and turned them into this:

Good point about the neck, though... I feel like I've never seen Vampire Hunters in movies/tv shows ever try to cover their necks. You'd think they would, right?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The 2008 seems like the least likely that would be used. The one with facial hair seems like he would be more likely willing to rip off the face of undead adversities.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I really like the recent 2012 one. He's got the face of experience, like a man who's seen some shiz in his day. A lot of his 3D appearances have looked more like his long-haired 2001 design, which I'd also be fine with... For some reason, I just don't having parts of his legs exposed, though. Reminds me of wearing knee-high socks with shorts and sandals.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I gotta say, I'm actually ok with Simon. Normally I'm not too big on third parties(aside from Megaman and the possibility of a Namco rep), but Simon works well for Smash Bros. I guess I say that because Simon is kinda in the same boat as Megaman, both being deeply involved in Nintendo's history since the NES days. Granted I'm unsure of his chances what with Konami already having Snake and everything. I do have some support for Simon though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I gotta say, I'm actually ok with Simon. Normally I'm not too big on third parties(aside from Megaman and the possibility of a Namco rep), but Simon works well for Smash Bros. I guess I say that because Simon is kinda in the same boat as Megaman, both being deeply involved in Nintendo's history since the NES days. Granted I'm unsure of his chances what with Konami already having Snake and everything. I do have some support for Simon though.
Yeah, it's hard to say how Konami's Snake already being in affects Simon's chances, I could see it argued either way. In the very least, it shows that Konami is okay with their characters getting in and Nintendo knows what it's like to do business with them, so that's nice.

He'd be awesome in Smash... I enjoy playing as Zero Suit Samus but it'd be nice to have a real whip user in the game.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Hah, oh man, is that something people are expecting from character threads now? Well, I never played Kid Icarus but if I get super bored I'll write something up.
The codecs, and jokes originated from Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The codecs, and jokes originated from Kid Icarus: Uprising.
I think you're missing the point.

It's not his responsibility to make a codec. It's a cool bonus but not a necessity.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hehe, I think I will make one anyway. I haven't really noticed other threads posting them in their OPs, but I kind of skim OPs for pictures, links, and movesets.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Simon Belmont would be an incredible character in Smash Bros. There is no way he could suck.

Let's hope that someday we get to see this truly forever underrated character in perhaps the most under-appreciated video game franchise of all-time gets his dues. Being playable in a Smash Bros game would be a great start.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
About time this thread appeared. Simon Belmont would be a fantastic edition to SSB4. I didn't think Nintendo and Konami would be able to make Snake fit at first but I was pleasantly surprised at how well he fit into Brawl despite his much darker and more adult franchise. If they can do it with Snake, why not Simon? Especially because Castlevania is also a huge franchise that got its start on Nintendo. Bring on Simon and Snake over Pac Man and Mega Man any day in my eyes.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
About time this thread appeared. Simon Belmont would be a fantastic edition to SSB4. I didn't think Nintendo and Konami would be able to make Snake fit at first but I was pleasantly surprised at how well he fit into Brawl despite his much darker and more adult franchise. If they can do it with Snake, why not Simon? Especially because Castlevania is also a huge franchise that got its start on Nintendo. Bring on Simon and Snake over Pac Man and Mega Man any day in my eyes.
Yeah, I really don't think the tone is much of a problem. If anything, Smash Bros. takes light-hearted franchises and turns them darker. I made sure to not include the knife subweapon in Simon's moveset since I know Sakurai considers knives and guns more violent than, say, swords (long knives) and lasers (guns that burn to death). He probably wouldn't be too worried about kids picking up crosses and whips. :)

... I wonder if Sakurai considers throwing axes too violent. I mean, I think knives and guns are avoided since kids could actually find them in their household, and hatchets are also around.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really don't think the tone is much of a problem. If anything, Smash Bros. takes light-hearted franchises and turns them darker. I made sure to not include the knife subweapon in Simon's moveset since I know Sakurai considers knives and guns more violent than, say, swords (long knives) and lasers (guns that burn to death). He probably wouldn't be too worried about kids picking up crosses and whips. :)

... I wonder if Sakurai considers throwing axes too violent. I mean, I think knives and guns are avoided since kids could actually find them in their household, and hatchets are also around.
He's avoiding controversy. Parents can't complain about kids using swords and lasers because, as you said, those are inaccessible in real life. That's why Snake's explosives are cool too. Whip and Magic attacks aren't a problem (I know Simon usually doesn't use magic, but hey, he has a universe filled with magic to represent).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
He's avoiding controversy. Parents can't complain about kids using swords and lasers because, as you said, those are inaccessible in real life. That's why Snake's explosives are cool too. Whip and Magic attacks aren't a problem (I know Simon usually doesn't use magic, but hey, he has a universe filled with magic to represent).
Oh, I know... it's just funny to me. It is a totally sensible policy. I still wonder about throwing axes, though... I'd hate to be the parent that takes their kids out camping and sees them throwing hatchets at each other and yelling "I'm Simon Belmont! Take that, vampire!"

Probably not an issue, though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Alright, I'm just posting here to wish my favorite vampire slayer some good luck! MAYBE HE'LL BE IN THE REVEAL TRAILER? (annnnnnnd maybe not.)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm just posting here to wish my favorite vampire slayer some good luck! MAYBE HE'LL BE IN THE REVEAL TRAILER? (annnnnnnd maybe not.)

Yes, may he be the next Snake: revealed in the initial trailer much to everyone's surprise.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Maybe Snake is gone for good and Simon will be the Konami rep. I mean, Sony does seem to push to have Snake as exclusive as of now.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd be sad to see Snake go... but happier to see Simon. Castlevania certainly has a stronger association with Nintendo than Metal Gear does. I think Simon would really bring a lot to the game... He can show Zero Suit Samus how to actually use a whip. :)

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If there was only going to be one Konami character, it should be Simon Belmont, given the theme of Smash Bros. Castlevania was a major player on NES, SNES, has been on later systems and many iterations have appeared on Nintendo handhelds.

He's one of the icons of the NES era, and because of that was one of the main characters of Captain N: The Game Master

In fact, if Simon was in, they could have a Captain N reunion: Simon Belmont, Mega Man and Pit!

Honestly, him, Mega Man and Sonic seem to be the most fitting 3rd party characters to include. I can't think of many more that would be deserving (Snake is fine and all, but I would not have suggested him at all, particularly considering the fact that the modern series basically started on Playstation). A Final Fantasy representative would make sense, but the problem is that there's not really any single character that is an obvious choice from that series (a Black Mage is kinda generic, a Moogle doesn't do enough and is more of a mascot than a fitting representative, ideally you'd want a character that's unique and not go with a sword-wielder who'd be too much like Marth/Ike). I suppose Geno would be a decent substitute as a Square representative...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I approve of Simon Belmont. We need someone with a slow yet LONG reach.

Simon wouldn't be a particularly fast character. And he wouldn't be the strongest. But he'd definitely be a middle-range guy, which we don't have many (Samus/Zamus, and Ivysaur perhaps?)

I hope they go for the early designs. That last design looks like Ganon and Ryu (SF)'s lovechild.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would be stoked if Simon Belmont's regular moves involve the whip in 8 directions a la Super Castlevania IV (plus tether recovery).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
If there was only going to be one Konami character, it should be Simon Belmont, given the theme of Smash Bros. Castlevania was a major player on NES, SNES, has been on later systems and many iterations have appeared on Nintendo handhelds.

He's one of the icons of the NES era, and because of that was one of the main characters of Captain N: The Game Master

In fact, if Simon was in, they could have a Captain N reunion: Simon Belmont, Mega Man and Pit!

Honestly, him, Mega Man and Sonic seem to be the most fitting 3rd party characters to include. I can't think of many more that would be deserving (Snake is fine and all, but I would not have suggested him at all, particularly considering the fact that the modern series basically started on Playstation). A Final Fantasy representative would make sense, but the problem is that there's not really any single character that is an obvious choice from that series (a Black Mage is kinda generic, a Moogle doesn't do enough and is more of a mascot than a fitting representative, ideally you'd want a character that's unique and not go with a sword-wielder who'd be too much like Marth/Ike). I suppose Geno would be a decent substitute as a Square representative...

I would love to see the Captain N reunion, heh. I mean, including Captain N would be nice too.

Simon Belmont has already been in tons of fighting games, but since he didn't originate from one I feel like the Smash Team would have a lot leeway in deciding his moveset.

(in terms of Squenix, it is true that a lot of Black Mage's personality and fan base is derived from the super uncannon web comic. Moogle-wise, throughout the games they've been seen in combat... I think of their Final Fantasy 6 appearance where they favor spears, boomerangs, and shamanistic dancing to summon nature spirits to destroy their foes. And Geno's cool too, sure.)

@Shinhed
Heh, Ganon+Ryu... Yeah, I see that. I personally like the newest design, it seems interesting without being... too interesting. I think it's likely that his appearance would be similar to the 2001 where he has an assortment of leather armor pieces and distinctively long red hair.
It's weird, though... I feel weird about the exposed thighs. I probably said it earlier too, but it reminds me of someone wearing short-shorts and long socks.

@Arcadenik
It'd be cool to be able to whip in 8-directions, but I don't really know how you'd get the diagonals with the standard Smash Bros. control scheme. The only way I can really think is to have something like Mega Man's Metal Blade special, neutral special input then a direction. Maybe the tilts could also be angled during the startup? Or maybe he'd uniquely have tilts in all directions.

Who knows! I would love to see him, though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean that Simon's whipping in 8 directions would probably be his aerial attacks... hell, he might be very unique in that he is the only one with diagonal aerial attacks. Oh god.... if Simon doesn't get in SSB4, I propose that we make him the next Mega Man for SSB5.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Neutral B: Sheik-like chain whip.
Tilt B: Throw Cross
Up B: Holds on to the first Castlevania boss (a giant bat) as he makes it back to the stage.
Down B: Holy Water

A: Whip
Ftilt: Spinning whip (waltzes performing a 360 turn before unleashing the whip strike)
Dtilt: Crouching whip
Utilt: Upwards whip

Fsmash: Flaming whip!
Dsmash: Spinning whip
Usmash: Throwing axe

Aaerials: All whips!

Grabs: From a distance of course!

The more whip-based his moveset is, the better. :D

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean that Simon's whipping in 8 directions would probably be his aerial attacks... hell, he might be very unique in that he is the only one with diagonal aerial attacks. Oh god.... if Simon doesn't get in SSB4, I propose that we make him the next Mega Man for SSB5.

It's a nice and simple gimmick. A lot easier than Mega Man's multispread of specials-as-standards, for sure.

A tilt attack in any direction simply whips in that direction, both on ground or in air. If it was also a tether recovery, that'd be even sweeter. Man, I would love to play Simon...

Would y'all want to see him with the whip or the whip's upgrade, the flail?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like the chain whip better but the Vampire Killer itself is a leather whip... right?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I like the chain whip better but the Vampire Killer itself is a leather whip... right?

Yeah, though... in theory, the Whip was originally created with arcane alchemy, so that might explain the fact that it can change materials. So, its origin is both magical (alchemy) and divine (blessed through a character's sacrifice).

Having the flail-tip would really emphasize that the sweetspot is the tip, but the satisfying whipcrack only actually makes sense with a leather whip... Pros and cons all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom