• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bearer of the Mark of the Outsider: Zael for Super Smash Bros. 4!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
ZAEL (THE LAST STORY) ENTERS THE FRAY!

Zael is the protagonist of The Last Story, which is one of the three Project Rainfall games. He holds the Power of the Outsider, which gives him immeasurable power, with abilities such as Accelerate, which allows him to move much faster than normal.
Background Information

Zael is a member of a mercenary group made of six members, who all strive to one day be knights for the Empire. They travel to Lazulis Island to get one step closer to that dream, and from that point, Zael and his fellow mercenaries are set on a new journey, which turns out to be quite more than they expected.
WHY ZAEL?

Zael is your everyday swordsmen from the surface, but he is more than meets the eye. While his sword is nothing compared to Shulk's Monado, Zael possesses the Power of the Outsider, which, as stated above, gives him powers. If implemented correctly in Super Smash Bros., Zael could diversify the swordsmen group by including his abilities in his moveset and Final Smash. The Power of the Outsider allows Zael to absorb energy for up to five blocked attacks, and then reflect them back at the opponent to cause damage. Zael also has a special ability exclusive to him called Accelerate, which boosts his movement and attack speeds. Aside from the special abilities, Zael has special combat techniques, such as the Vertical Slice (in which Zael runs against a wall, does a back flip, and then slices the enemy) and Slash (which can be done from around a corner on an incoming enemy to do extra damage). While Zael does not have nearly the same chances as say Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles (great game btw. Definitely rrecommend it!) he could prove to be an interesting character if done right.
MOVESETS

I do not currently have a moveset ready. Feel free to contribute while I create one of my own.
Possible Stages

Lazulis Island

Lazulis City
Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QBBHF5wou94&feature=endscreen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-7FDUCc80
Supporters
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones
@ P PreedReve
@ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

In Closing...
I am definitely a supporter of Zael myself, however I do not see him as a likely candidate for the initial roster. Therefore, I support him as a Downloadable Character for Super Smash Bros. 4. Discuss away!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know this guy can't compete with Shulk, but what about Aeron?

I guess I want to know why Zael should be supported over Aeron. Just curious.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm more of the opinion that, if DLC is implemented, I would be rooting for a pack of both Zael AND Aeron together. Granted, I also believe that both characters have plenty of potential and merit.

However, frankly, I have yet to play Pandora's Tower, but will begin it soon, as I literally beat The Last Story five minutes ago.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm surprised that there isn't already a Zael thread, checked and couldn't find a thread on him (or in his alternate name Elza) in the directory.

Shulk, Aeron, and Zael all are unique swordsman that would be fun to play as in Smash Brothers, what with Shulk possessing the Monado, Aeron possessing the Oraclos Chain, and Zael possessing the power of the Outsider. However, I'm not confident any of them to appear, except some people do put the most stock in Shulk, which is the most popular of the three games, Zael's The Last Story being second, and Aeron's Pandora's Tower third, though upon examination, peoples' favorites can wildly vary upon the three. I myself find a unique and interesting taste from all three myself, falling in love temporarily with each one as they come out, hence my current avatar.

As for Zael's moves, Gale is definitely one that needs in, and perhaps can be his recovery. It can make him fly and explode in gust towards any second inputted direction given (or simply up or diagonal if held in). Implementing his trademark Gathering would be rather difficult though. Making nearby players while its activated either move towards you as if a taunt might be consider OP, controlling the direction their facing or something doesn't exactly fit with it, and controlling at how they can only damage the user of Gathering when it's activated isn't exactly what it does either, and a bit strange. The Final Smash though could be Gathering Burst, whether or not Gathering can be a special move, where it makes all players on the stage go towards him, and when released, or after a short time, you damage everyone close to you for a lot of damage and slow them down.

Perhaps the standard special can be Spirit Attack that involves you charging, and the longer you charge the longer the duration of a speed boost of your movement and attacks. Perhaps Power Strike can simply be a powerful sword strike as a side special. And that's about the best I can do.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
edit: DEEEEEEEEEEERP, just realized I posted this in completely the wrong thread. Boy, do I feel stupid.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm planning on making an Aeron thread when I am done with Pandora's Tower. I'm very interested in it.

How hard is it to keep Elena from turning into a complete beast? I'm scared that i'm to epic fail and end up with something resembling a nasty creature.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It is very easy to prevent that from happening, just don't return to her when the timer is zero. There's a point in the timer where you reach a blue region, and after a little bit of that she'll partially transform, which I think might lower your affinity with her a little (if not, it still makes you feel bad so DON'T DO IT!) and she breaks special items given to her which will need repaired, and if you wait even LONGER she'll transform even further and you'll feel even worse, the longer you wait the bigger mess she makes in the Observatory (which you find she tries to clean up afterwards).

If I remember correctly, just make a habit of spending half the allotted time plus a quarter of the other half at the towers and no more. Also, you can get multiple endings depending on your affinity, so I'd recommend trying to raise it the most you can, although if you adore her as much as I did playing it you probably don't need me telling you to do it.

And wait, Aeron doesn't have a directed thread? Dang I would have sworn that as well. Not that surprising I guess, there isn't much of a following for the last two Operation Rainfall protagonists.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wow...I guess Zael isn't all that popular.

I started Pandora's Tower, and I must say that I see a lot of potential in Aeron as a Smash character. I'll get around to making a thread for him when I have the chance.

Shulk, Aeron, and Zael should all be in, even if two of them are DLC.

Shulk should be a guarantee, but if you try to put one of the others in without trying to complete the Operation Rainfall trifecta it just feels really weird and is unfair to the one left out.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know this guy can't compete with Shulk.
It's funny you should say that, because last time I checked in JPN, TLS outsold Xeno

I like TLS and wouldn't mind Zael's inclusion. I think he will show up in Smash IN SOME FORM, even if he isn't playable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here is my moveset for Zael.

Zael Moveset
Specials
- Up B- Gale: Zael winds up and propels himself upward with air. Used for a recovery
- Neutral B- Power Strike: While holding B, Zael charges up his weapon, and attacks following that for a short period of time will be stronger than usual
- Down B- Block- Similar to a counter, but more like Game and Watch’s bucket attack. Zael stores up energy, from either physical or special attacks, and can launch them back after a minimum of 3 to a max of 5 attacks. The more attacks withheld, the stronger the rebound attack.
- Side B- (still haven't come up with one...)

Basic Attacks
- A: basic jab
- A+A: jab, then sword swipe
- A+A+A: jab, swipe, then another swipe
- Down Tilt: Swipes low with his sword
- Up Tilt: Quickly swipes in the air
- Side tilt: Zael kicks forward in a punting motion
- Neutral Air: Zael swings his sword in a circular motion
- Forward air: Zael strikes forward with a downward arc
- Down air: Zael swings downward, can be used as a spike
- Up air: Swings sword upward for a slice
- Back air: Zael swings his sword behind him

Smash Attacks
- Forward Smash : Zael thrusts his body forward with his right shoulder. This is a two part smash similar to Link. If A is hit again, Zael swings his sword in a horizontal slice.
- Upward Smash: Zael does a back flip and smashes his sword into the ground (basically his vertical slice attack from The Last Story)
- Downward smash: Zael strikes both in front and behind him

Grabs
- Pummel: knees opponent
- Forward throw: uppercuts and then strikes with his sword
- Down throw: Holds opponent down with foot, and then stabs downward with his sword
- Up throw: simply throws enemy into the air
- Back throw: tosses enemy behind him, then swats them with his sword

Final Smash:
Accelerate
- When Zael gets the Smash Ball, he is able to activate his special move “Accelerate”. This allows him to move much faster, including his flinching animation. Basically marginally slower than “Fast Brawl” (or whatever it is called)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I like him but I haven't played The Last Story.
If it was for me, him, Shulk and even Aeron would be in Sm4sh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I like the moveset, but the Final Smash is boring. :/
True. But in The Last Story, that is his special ability. Otherwise he doesn't have much to be used as a "Final Smash".

Let's keep up the discussion. These guys need some support to be even considered for DLC, which is where I see them anyway.:sadeyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think if we got The Last Story 2, and character DLC was implemented past partially finished characters or scrapped veterans, then Zael might stand a shot. Assuming he'd be the protagonist again. Otherwise, yeah he'd make a pretty good character, and The Last Story could use some more attention, but it's probably not going to happen.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You have a solid point N3ON. I'm still hoping they show up as DLC though. NO MATTER WHAT YOU PEOPLE SAY!!!CAPS

Really though, consider the idea of Shulk in Smash. Shulk in his "relevance" to Nintendo is essentially on the same scale as Zael or Aeron. Obviously, Shulk is more well known and popular for Smash, but the other two heroes are in the same boat as he is nonetheless. At least I would say.

The only thing Shulk has that they don't is the renown and popularity. Quite honestly, I would agree that Xenoblade is the best of the trio. But that by no means is saying that the others aren't good. Each of them could bring a different moveset with them. If you ask me, what Smash needs, is swordsmen that can set themselves apart from the other swordsmen to a greater degree than the others already present. Zael and Aeron can do that.

My moveset doesn't really do Zael justice. I'm sure Sakurai could come up with something though.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
The Last Story was the first Operation Rainfall game I purchased. Like the other two Operation Rainfall games, I was not sure whether or not I would like The Last Story. I can usually tell whether or not I will like a game just by watching the gameplay videos; however, The Last Story happened to be amongst the very few cases in which I had to actually play the game in order to find out. In the end, I decided to take a gamble and bought the game upon release--and ended up liking it, story-wise and gameplay-wise. I like how the game actually forces you to think and plan during battles, as opposed to jumping head-first into the fray--which, for most battles in the game, will lead you to a swift and unpleasant end. Now that I have some more time on mine hands, I think I might try the "New Game Plus" mode soon.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Though I doubt he will be included, I do think it would be interesting to see Zael in Smash 4. His powers would definitely make him a unique fighter. I would love to see his crossbow incorporated into his moveset; for instance, they could have him randomly shoot either a regular arrow, an explosive arrow, a paralysing arrow, or a banana peel that would trip foes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Last Story was the first Operation Rainfall game I purchased. Like the other two Operation Rainfall games, I was not sure whether or not I would like The Last Story. I can usually tell whether or not I will like a game just by watching the gameplay videos; however, The Last Story happened to be amongst the very few cases in which I had to actually play the game in order to find out. In the end, I decided to take a gamble and bought the game upon release--and ended up liking it, story-wise and gameplay-wise. I like how the game actually forces you to think and plan during battles, as opposed to jumping head-first into the fray--which, for most battles in the game, will lead you to a swift and unpleasant end. Now that I have some more time on mine hands, I think I might try the "New Game Plus" mode soon.

Anyway, to get back on topic: Though I doubt he will be included, I do think it would be interesting to see Zael in Smash 4. His powers would definitely make him a unique fighter. I would love to see his crossbow incorporated into his moveset; for instance, they could have him randomly shoot either a regular arrow, an explosive arrow, a paralysing arrow, or a banana peel that would trip foes.
I actually never even thought of the crossbow. That could honestly even make him more unique.

I could just imagine him tripping someone with a fake banana, and then rushing up and comboing them. That would make for a pretty decent strategy.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm a big fan of the Last Story. The combat in the game is probably my favorite of any RPG. I would to love to see Zael as a character. And I would love for the Last Story to become a strong Nintendo franchise with a sequel.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
As you can see by my avatar, I'm a last story fan as well. While I doubt Zael will appear, one can still hope.

Also, thought I'd bring some humor to the thread:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I know this guy can't compete with Shulk, but what about Aeron?

I guess I want to know why Zael should be supported over Aeron. Just curious.

Because Aeron's game crashes on you and The Last Story will not crash your Wii. I have someone who bought Pandora's Tower and had to quit it because it kept locking up on him.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I haven't played Pandora's Tower, but what I can tell from reviews, it seems the Last Story was a better game. The Last Story also sold better.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Because Aeron's game crashes on you and The Last Story will not crash your Wii. I have someone who bought Pandora's Tower and had to quit it because it kept locking up on him.
I can say that this has never happened to me while playing it.

Also, woo Zael! I have to say that TLS is a fantastic game and I'd be surprised if it didn't have something in the game. Like at the very least have Toberomono as a song.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I can say that this has never happened to me while playing it.

Also, woo Zael! I have to say that TLS is a fantastic game and I'd be surprised if it didn't have something in the game. Like at the very least have Toberomono as a song.

Agreed about TLS. Games like TLS are needed more on Nintendo consoles, PS3 has a host of similar games that sell well. About PT, My friend may have gotten a bad copy of Pandora's tower

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think the difference is that compared to Xenoblade, Last Story had a much more... mixed reception in general. I did very much enjoy Last Story quite a bit, but I know a lot of people that absolutely despise it and I know even more then just a mostly meh reaction to it. As last story was also much shorter then Xenoblade, I also don't think Zael was developed as well or left as big of an impression in the long term.

I wouldn't mind Zael in Smash, I just have an a pretty large amount of doubt.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
So, it turns out that Nintendo is going to release Pandora's Tower on the Wii U's eShop in Japan, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand later this year.
This could mean that a release of the Last Story isn't too far off but XSeed (the company that published both games in North America) has yet to confirm a North American release for Pandora's Tower.
I sent them an ask on their tumblr page, so hopefully they will respond.
I suggest that anyone interesting to send them an ask about it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones Add me to the list for which I've gotten my hands on the game and enjoy the story so far. While realistically he has little chance, but I'll be willing to lend a hand for the brain child of the ex-Final Fantasy director.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Last Story was a pretty good game. I'm just wondering what Zael could do to make himself unique from the other sword users. I know he has the Mark of the Outsider, but I'm wondering how it could be used in a moveset.

D

Deleted member

I always wanted Zael to be playable in Smash 4 alongside Shulk, but I always knew it had a slim chance of happening due to the former's lack of popularity.

Regardless, I voted for Zael and will continue to support him. I'd like to be added to the list of supporters as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just asked Xseed about bringing The Last Story to the eShop on Tumblr. Here's to hoping that they would answer our questions or think about speaking with Nintendo about it.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
The Last Story was a pretty good game. I'm just wondering what Zael could do to make himself unique from the other sword users. I know he has the Mark of the Outsider, but I'm wondering how it could be used in a moveset.
Well, your idea on the use of Block/Gather is a good start.

Other Ideas (borrowing some from my Calista thread)
-His Forward Special could be Vertical Jump. He could dash forward in an upward arc, then slash downward.
-Gale could be his Up Special. He could create a whirlwind that sends both him and enemies upward.
-In game, Gathering Burst give him access to other abilities like Guard Counter, Cure, and Gathering.
-He does have Accelerate and Power Strike, both moves that buff him.
-Zael also has access to both a crossbow with different kinds of arrows and bombs.
-He could also command the other characters to use spells, placing Magic Circles around the stage.

*Edit*
Here are some useful links I used when making my Calista Moveset:
The Last Story Wiki
Zael's Page
Weapons Page
Gathering
A list of game mechanics

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Bad news: Got the message back and Xseed said that what I've asked is a more appropriate question for Nintendo of America instead of them. So we might as well take our requests elsewhere.

Top Bottom