• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The first ghost Pokemon, Gengar SSB4 Support Thread

What's your favorite Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Game?

• Total voters

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Gengar might seem like a completely random Pokémon. Right... Well you're wrong! Gengar had a very important role in the first Pokémon mystery dungeon game which I'm not going to say to avoid spoilers. Hey, if Machamp gets a thread, then so does Gengar! (Note: I do not like Generation 1.)
Gengar.png

Playstyle:
Gengar is a character that mainly focuses on being annoying to fit his role in Mystery Dungeon (still no spoilers!). He has Embargo which prevents an opponent from using items, Taunt which makes opponents only able to attack Gengar and no other characters for a few seconds and Sucker Punch which can be unexpected. However, Gengar is a very light character and has a bigger hitbox than most light characters so he'll be KOed the fastest of any character.

Moves:
A: Shadow Claw- Gengar slashes. The maximum combo is 5 slashes
A side: Lick- Gengar swings his tongue at the opponent.
A up: Payback- Gengar slams upward
A down: Night Shade- creates a shadow barrier around Gengar for 1 second

B: Embargo- If it works, the opponent is not allowed to use items (except Smash Ball)
B side: Poison Jab- 5 punches that do damage and make opponents take damage over time
B up: Sucker Punch- Gengar teleports and lands and uppercut. This is also used for recovery
B down: Taunt- Gengar is the only opponent that can be hit for about 3 seconds

Pummel: Licks the opponent
Front Throw: Gengar smashes the opponent away
Back Throw Gengar swings the foe away
Up Throw: Gengar slashes the opponent upward
Down Throw: Gengar throws a shadow ball at the opponent

Final Smash: Hex- Gengar sends a giant ghostly vortex that brings foes near it and brings them in it. If a foe is in it, they will take damage until the vortex explodes doing serious knockback.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Fully support even though it will never happen.

pretty much same deal with scizor and dragonite cool pokes but never gonna happen for smash...

Well dragonite could..

Also Ghastly was the first ghost pokemon not Gengar :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a Gengar on my team. That was before Gengar had Shadow Ball too...

It had a really gimmicky moveset, with Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Night Shade, and ...I forgot.

My team was built of good pokemon. ...Just they didn't have good attacks

D

Deleted member

Putting Gengar or any ghost Pokemon is like adding King Boo. They're both ghosts. Most of the times, ghost are immune to physical attacks. But in Pokemon, they can get hit by ground, rock, steel and flying type attacks. I don't mind any additional Pokemon as fillers. I can see Gengar as more of a Pokeball Pokemon than a playable character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Putting Gengar or any ghost Pokemon is like adding King Boo. They're both ghosts. Most of the times, ghost are immune to physical attacks. But in Pokemon, they can get hit by ground, rock, steel and flying type attacks. I don't mind any additional Pokemon as fillers. I can see Gengar as more of a Pokeball Pokemon than a playable character.
I completely disagree with you. If ANYTHING Gengar would be a playable pokemon, if not, he just won't be in the game

Since he's not popular enough he won't be playable

But there is nothing about Gengar I see as "Pokeball pokemon"

Ghastly, sure, but not Gengar

Vale

Smash Ace
I just don't see it happening, despite Gengar being a cool Pokémon. But, supposing it does happen, what would his jumping capabilities be like? The embargo move would be interesting to see in Smash Brothers, although useless for competitive play.

Also, I'm liking the hive mind on the poll question.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Gengar is by far my favorite Pokemon, but he is an odd choice for a Smash fighter. Despite his role in Mystery Dungeon, it seems pretty unlikely.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering he would likely have to be chosen over Mewtwo, I highly doubt Gengar would be chosen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My favourite ghost pokémon happens to be Haunter. Gengar would be cool, but given that the OP supports him based on his appearance in the first PMD, it TOO late for his inclusion.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Haunter as an evolution was definitely cooler than Gengar, yeah.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice

pretty much same deal with scizor and dragonite cool pokes but never gonna happen for smash...

Well dragonite could..

I know but I'm just considering the entire family as one because Gastly becomes a Gengar. Hey, I could change it to "The most annoying Pokémon series characters, Gengar for SSB4.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Okay, then by your logic, Ganondorf is immune to everything but the light arrow or Marth can't be hit by swords or spears.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, then by your logic, Ganondorf is immune to everything but the light arrow or Marth can't be hit by swords or spears.
Um.... Marth can be hit by swords and spears.....

And Ganondorf is also weak to the Master Sword.

Regardless I still agree with your point. Being a ghost isn't a point against Gengar.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Um.... Marth can be hit by swords and spears.....

And Ganondorf is also weak to the Master Sword.

Regardless I still agree with your point. Being a ghost isn't a point against Gengar.
Falchion prevents being hit by swords and spears. Not only that, but it allows him to heal. Thankfully, Awakening balanced it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that this thread wasn't locked like the others.

On topic, Gengar should be a pokeball though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Seriously? I think he could be a great fighter.
Every character under the sun has potential to be great fighter. :laugh:

But not every character can get in as a fighter. So, a pokeball would a minimum recognition of Gengar's abilities.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Every character under the sun has potential to be great fighter. :laugh:

But not every character can get in as a fighter. So, a pokeball would a minimum recognition of Gengar's abilities.
What about Unown, Magikarp, Deku Tree and Big the Cat? Good fighters? Yeah...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What about Unown, Magikarp, Deku Tree and Big the Cat? Good fighters? Yeah...
Big the Cat, Unwon and Magikarp all have a lot of possibilities.

The great Deku Tree can even do stuff. He is a powerful deity like figure.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Gengar might seem like a completely random Pokémon. Right... Well you're wrong! Gengar had a very important role in the first Pokémon mystery dungeon game which I'm not going to say to avoid spoilers. Hey, if Machamp gets a thread, then so does Gengar! (Note: I do not like Generation 1.)
View attachment 356
Playstyle:
Gengar is a character that mainly focuses on being annoying to fit his role in Mystery Dungeon (still no spoilers!). He has Embargo which prevents an opponent from using items, Taunt which makes opponents only able to attack Gengar and no other characters for a few seconds and Sucker Punch which can be unexpected. However, Gengar is a very light character and has a bigger hitbox than most light characters so he'll be KOed the fastest of any character.

Moves:
A: Shadow Claw- Gengar slashes. The maximum combo is 5 slashes
A side: Lick- Gengar swings his tongue at the opponent.
A up: Payback- Gengar slams upward
A down: Night Shade- creates a shadow barrier around Gengar for 1 second

B: Embargo- If it works, the opponent is not allowed to use items (except Smash Ball)
B side: Poison Jab- 5 punches that do damage and make opponents take damage over time
B up: Sucker Punch- Gengar teleports and lands and uppercut. This is also used for recovery
B down: Taunt- Gengar is the only opponent that can be hit for about 3 seconds

Pummel: Licks the opponent
Front Throw: Gengar smashes the opponent away
Back Throw Gengar swings the foe away
Up Throw: Gengar slashes the opponent upward
Down Throw: Gengar throws a shadow ball at the opponent

Final Smash: Hex- Gengar sends a giant ghostly vortex that brings foes near it and brings them in it. If a foe is in it, they will take damage until the vortex explodes doing serious knockback.
I support Gengar.... but his chances with Smash is the same as his with the Ghostbusters....

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
It's pretty awkward that Gengar has had -NO- representation in Smash thus far. Being that him and Duskull are my favorite pokemon, I would love to see him playable - but that'll never happen. I'd be overjoyed to see him pop out of a pokeball.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

Well dragonite could..

Gengar was one of the earliest Pokemon created. So he is the first in that sense.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
As much as I like Gengar, I am quite tired of Generation I Pokémon reps in Smash Bros, so I can't really say I support the ghost.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
If the roster was just a tiny bit bigger I would want him. For now, put him in a ball. Unless a miracle falls from the smash heavens and gets rid of Jiggly Puff and opens a Pokemon spot.

Top Bottom