• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Experienced Link: Classic Link Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Classic Link, the star of A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Seasons.

This Link is similar in concept to all Links, as he wields the Master Sword and defeats Ganon. However, Classic Link has many unique tools exclusive to him, including:
- Cane of Byrna
- Magic Hammer
- Golden Sword
- Silver Arrows
- Titans Mitt
- Rocs Feather
- Magic Rod
- Super Bombs
- Seed Shooter (With Gale Seeds)

Classic Link also has relevance and popularity going for him, thanks to Triforce of the Gods 2.
Though he may not be completely likely, he could still very well appear as an Alternate for Link or Young Link, and maybe even lend some of his gear over. So, what do you all think, fair Smashers? Classic Link, Toon Link, or Young Link? Or all three?

Discuss away! On your way out, feel free to pick up a Classic Link support signature icon!
Movesets below!
Some moveset ideas:

Downfall Link should use the Cane of Somaria as his Down B move.
After swinging the cane and summoning the block, characters could stand on it or carry it like an item.
Link could also detonate it like a bomb by pressing Down B again.

I imagine his three smash attacks being based on the medallions from Alttp.

Forward Smash: Bombos Medallion.
Link swings his sword around him in circle near the ground, while fire blazes after it. Also hits opponents behind Link.

Up Smash: Ether Medallion.
Link stabs his sword skyward, followed by a sudden cold flash. Has a slight chance of freezing.

Down Smash: Quake Medallion.
Link does a short hop upwards and then crashes down with his sword pointed to the ground. The impact shakes the ground around him and releases some bolts. Has a slight chance of burying opponents.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
If it means a link with an even more different moveset. Then I'm all for having him instead of toon link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He's my favourite incarnation of all Link's in the Zelda series (Alongside the design of the Princess Zelda of that game). I'd love to see him playable in smash, even if he replaces Toon Link. :)

He has now 5 games under his belt too.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't this belong in the Link discussion thread?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
well thats good. nobody wants a pantsless hero.
Then why did everyone complain about Wonder Woman's pants in injustice... Well I guess she's a heroine.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Toon Link had a ton of cool gear he doesn't use in Brawl.

There's no guarantee that Classic Link would use his.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, Toon Link had a ton of cool gear he doesn't use in Brawl.

There's no guarantee that Classic Link would use his.
Yeah. They have to have the same moveset.

That rule was stated on the dojo.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yeah. They have to have the same moveset.

That rule was stated on the dojo.
" Tips
Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."

DAM YOU SAKURAAAAAIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And people say that I read too much into what Sakurai says. "This is a once in a lifetime chance Snake" Snake confirmed to NOT be playable smash 4! :troll:

Regarding the Toon Link quote, this doesn't really stop them to give any second Link at least a Luigified clone moveset where they still use the same items but utilize them differently such as the second Link at least having the ability to aim their bow like Pit but with more control of how many degrees he should aim and using Fire/Ice/Silver arrows, doing the Hurricane spin and Skyward Sword Link could use the Beetle or the Skyward Strike. I'd be happy with either the return of Toon Link or the appearance of Classic Link since their both awesome.

D

Deleted member

Diddy's got a point. Sakurai only said that the specials were the same as a rule. Seeing as Toon Link doesn't have the exact same moveset (seeing as he has different moves that replace vanilla Link's kicking attacks due to T. Link's tiny legs), It wouldn't be that farfetched to see further changes to the non-Specials for Toon Link (if he returns) or "Classic Link" (if he replaces Toon Link or becomes the new Toon Link). For example, that Magic Hammer (which hammers are also a staple in the series) could be used for some attacks.

And even then, there's nothing saying Sakurai can't pull a Falco/Wolf with Toon/Classic Link's Specials as long as he uses the same tools. T. Link used a regular Boomerang while Link used a Gale Boomerang, for example, and they worked quite differently.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I wouldn't mind this Link replacing Toon Link as long as his specials and A attacks are a bit different. I still want to see Link, any Link use a Hammer for a smash move or two along with some other weapons for attacks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Said it in the Zelda series thread, but why not name this dude Teen Link?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nah.... I prefer Classic Link.

Reminds me of Sub-Zero and Classic Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Is the remake just graphical or are they making a totally new game based on story lines/levels? I would love to see a 3D title made (a la Ocarina) of basically the original Zelda. It would be awesome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Said it in the Zelda series thread, but why not name this dude Teen Link?
Nah, Classic Link suits him better.

NO!!!!

A Classic Link support sig, by the way. :p
I couldn't help but chuckle at this for some reason. :p

Both Classic and Toon Link are awesome imo so I'm fine with either of them.

Is the remake just graphical or are they making a totally new game based on story lines/levels?
It's not a remake. I'ts a brand new game set in the same world as A Link to the Past. It's another sequel for Classic Link. At least from what I understood... :/

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Classic Link's moveset

Neutral B - he shoots beams from his sword, charge for spinning version from ALTTP
Side B - he throws the Magic Boomerang that stuns opponents like Mewtwo's Disable when their damage meters are over 100%
Up B - he spins his sword just like the other Links did and then he starts to float with the Roc's Cape (from Oracle games)
Down B - he pulls out bombs just like the other Links did, he pulls out Super Bombs when you Smash down the stick while pressing the B button
Final Smash - he shoots Silver Arrows that can KO opponents with one hit
Smash Side/Up/Down A - he swings the Magic Hammer like King Dedede

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Classic Link's moveset

Neutral B - he shoots beams from his sword, charge for spinning version from ALTTP
Side B - he throws the Magic Boomerang that stuns opponents like Mewtwo's Disable when their damage meters are over 100%
Up B - he spins his sword just like the other Links did and then he starts to float with the Roc's Cape (from Oracle games)
Down B - he pulls out bombs just like the other Links did, he pulls out Super Bombs when you Smash down the stick while pressing the B button
Final Smash - he shoots Silver Arrows that can KO opponents with one hit
Smash Side/Up/Down A - he swings the Magic Hammer like King Dedede
That's cool but I think the side B should be him charging with the Pegasus Boots and his sword out. That way he'd be more Luigified (with Smash 4 coming out we're gonna be seeing that word a lot more.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Classic Link should have palette swaps based on the older Zelda games.

Default / Green Team: Green Mail (green tunic, green hat) from ALTTP
Red Team: Red Mail (red tunic, purple hat) from ALTTP
Blue Team: Blue Mail (blue tunic, yellow hat) from ALTTP
Black: Shadow Link from Zelda II
Sepia: sepia-colored Link as he was depicted in the original version of Link's Awakening
Lavender: lavender tunic, lavender hat from NES Zelda + pink hair from ALTTP (sounds fabulous? :awesome:)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If he does end up making it and NOT have pink hair as alternative I'll hate him forever.

Seriously though, I'm not really expecting him to be regular or child Link. To me it seems likeliest that for the Wii U version they'll go with Skyward Sword and Wind Waker (HD) designs, and the 3DS will most likely use OoT3D ones (yes, also Sheik :sheik: - np shiek u kinda kewl nao).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder what the story is with the pink hair, because all the artwork of him had brown/ blonde hair

It must have been some kind of sprite problem

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would think it's because of some system limitations which is usually how some characters end up with characteristics developers never planned to give them in the beginning (at least that was the case with Mario). But I guess the developers just though pink hair suited the sprite better than yellow or brown hair. I'm not sure really... :/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's so damn ugly like, damn, it's ugly. And not looking pretty.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's so damn ugly like, damn, it's ugly. And not looking pretty.
I like his old appearance. He has a classic fantasy feel that got lost in later installments.
He really seems coming out from those cheesy 80's movies like The Never Ending Story (which wasn't cheesy but you get what I mean).
He's perfect as an...

ALTERNATE.
COSTUME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom