• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TIME TO SPLIT!! Sgt Cortez for SSB4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchojose0750

Smash Rookie

First of all, this is a horribly overlooked character from the Gamecube. He shoots, he jumps through time pockets, he makes terrible catchphrases, and saves humanity, HE is Sergeant Cortez!

HISTORY
He comes from the closest relative of the legendary N64 game James Bond Goldeneye, a sci-fi FPS called Timesplitters. It received 2 additions to the original, TS2 and TS: Future Perfect. However, the Cortez I'm focusing on is his better half, or triplet I should say, in TS:FP. A Company named Free Radical turned the game into reality with the Playstation 1, but once newer technology was available, developers turned to the Playstation 2 and the Gamecube for firepower! FreeRadical went under and Timesplitters was thrown into the basements of kids everywhere once Halo and other more popular FPS titles started to push themselves into the minds of the public.

WHO IS CORTEZ?
He is a Space marine from the year 2401 and is sent to defeat an evil race of aliens called Timesplitters. They are bent on removing humans from the pages of history by traveling back in time, but Cortez is always hot on their trail. he is assisted on his adventures by unexpected allies, his own colleagues back in the present, but more prominently.. HIMSELF! Breaks in space and time cause him to interact with his future/past self, which allow him to do some crazy but really awesome tasks. he's also armed to the teeth with unique weaponry and a few gadgets here and there, and his hands aren't just for show either!

Cortez, while being serious on the job, is incredibly enthusiastic. The best way to describe him is that he's as curious as solid snake and as much of a ham as C.Falcon. He's caring and kind of a goofball at times. There are moments where he might feel like he's being treated as a joke, but deep down, he knows what hes doing is for the good of everyone, and they should be thankful for what he did! (even though they wouldn't have a clue that any of it had taken place XD).

WHY SHOULD HE BE IN SMASH?
As stated above, Cortez is overlooked countless times by the gaming community. Even though he may not look it, his charming features can catch any player's heart if given the chance. He can offer something different to smash in terms of a moveset (which will be explained below) and it doesn't have to be centered around using any type of gun at all. He also comes pre-packaged with alternate costumes, a solid snake-like easter egg potential, some items that can be added to smash's item list, stages stemming from old western to space-age themes, potential assist trophy ideas, and MORE!

DOES HE OFFER GOOD MUSIC?
of course!

TimeSplitters 1 - Streets
TimeSplitters 1 - Castle
Timesplitters 2 - Wild West
TimeSplitters 2 - Mexican Mission
TimeSplitters 2 - Return to Planet X
TimeSplitters 2 - Nightclub
TimeSplitters 2 - Anaconda
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Like a Monkey
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Disco a GoGo (my favorite!)
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Chinese
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - Castle Tank Boss

And now, enjoy some colorful cutscenes made with good'ol gamecube graphics paired with great voice acting from the last and greatest installment of Timesplitters!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Music doesn't stand a chance to fascinate gamers without a good stage to kill each other on! This part is a bit hard to explain because there are no concrete possibilities for stage potential. There are many stages that could be great ones AND bad ones. For example, in the Mansion of Madness level, there's a large creature that comes out of a well, straight out of a freaky meat-induced nightmare. Pretty good, it'd be similar to Frigate Orpheon/Spear Pillar/Brinstar Depths without the stage hazards. Or the Khallos Express, a speeding train filled with time portals, helicopters, and the stereotypical madman trying to run over a hero's tied-up lady friend with said train. The best way to utilize these massive games, I believe, would be similar to Rainbow Cruise. BUT maybe 3, 4, hell make it 5x times bigger, include an entire stage of a game (why stop at TS???). Just one problem: Auto-scroll? It can be put in, but that would turn the stage into another clone of the Mushroom Kingdom(Above/Underground). Definitely not what I aimed for, I see no auto-scroll. But how to KO with a side smash when the camera follows the characters instead of the usual? The only kill moves would have to be Up-smash or spike into a pitfall. That should not be allowed, all side-based attacks must KO somehow. No idea right now lol.
MOVESET

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He doesn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of being in Smash 4. Not that I support him.

Rather unknown 3rd party. Seriously, I didn't even know he existed until now,
Now, is this a joke thread? :?:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Fi: I have calculated this character's probability of appearing in the next Super Smash Bros. title. The character has a 0.001% chance to make an appearance in the fourth Super Smash Bros. title.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Well, people here are talking about Wreck-It Ralph, so... Why not Cortez? lol
pretty much.
it looks alot better than other first-timer threads anyway. in all honesty, i personally know that this is his dream character, so it makes for a great practice thread.

glad you finally made this thread poncho. lol. guess it was only a matter of TIME. it seems alot of you guys truly don't know who cortez is, but thats alright, he really is obscure XD. hell, ness was pretty obscure in the 64 days and could still be considered so towards most gamers in general :ohwell: .
any Golden eye fan out there should really take a look at this game. when poncho slamed this game in my face for the first time, i was pretty skeptical, but then 5 minutes later i took the controller away from him and played away.
cortez may not be a "nintendo-only" character, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in smash. i mean look at snake! if you had no knowledge of these two characters and were asked to choose which one fits into smash bros better, im sure alot of people would look at cortez. i love snake, but the only thing about him that bugged me is that smash bros could never express how he got into the smash universe! Cortez at least had a method :p (but that should be left for the story mode thread hahah).
its a shame he'll most likely never be in smash, but unlike most pipe-dream characters, it wouldn't do cortez justice if no one explained WHY he'd be such a great character. all in all, timesplitters is one of those lost-gem type games, and more people ought to know about him.

@poncho
i'll probably help you out with a moveset just for fun. i bet his will be quite interesting ~ :smash:
afterwords we'll discuss THAT character...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Time Splitters was the successor to Goldeneye. I never got the appeal of goldeneye compared to later games on the N64 but when I played this game I understood how people must've viewed Goldeneye in it's time. Sgt. Cortez travels through various times into wacky stereotypical movie plot sequences and his form changes to match the era. For instance, go back in time to the old west and become six-shooter toting Elijah Jones. Enter Neo Tokyo and become Martial Artist stealth man Ghost. This game is one of the funnest party games letting you play with up to 4 people as any character model seen in the game with weapons and characters spanning across all ages future and past. Robots, Crossbows, Monkeys, Flamethrowers, Zombies, Lasers. Good times.Keep him the hell outta smash though.

smellysmallwood

Smash Cadet
Goldeneye/Timesplitters 2 are, and probably always will be, my favourite shoot 'em ups, Future Perfect lacked something I thought. I personally would love to see Cortez back in action I just can't see it being in smash bros. because he never really had that much personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom