• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Power's Innovative Icon- Nester

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
NESTER
(I can't believe no one has come up with this yet)​
Nester is the mascot of Nintendo Power who appeared in comic strips Nintendo Power made.​
Although Nintendo Power is gone now, Nester can live on and represent them in a Smash game.​
ATTRIBUTES:
Power: Weak, but powerful on special moves.
Height: Tall as Link.
Weight: Light to Middleweight.
Speed: The Speed of Ness.
Jump Height and Speed: Nester jumps as high as Ness and jumps fast as Link. Can jump 2 times.
MOVEPOOL:
Ground Attacks:
A: Nester punches, like Ness'.
AA: Nester punches again, again like Ness'.
AAA: Nester kicks upward.
A-Side: Nester sweeps up a kick.
A-Dash: Nester slides (Like in Megaman), can actually trip an opponent.
A-Down: Nester slides and makes a big kick.
A-Up: Nester kicks upward, similar to Lucas'.
Aerial Attacks:
Neutral-Air: Nester swings a NES controller (like a lasso).
Side-Air: Nester meteor smashes with a Power Glove, like Mario's.
Back-Air: Nester back kicks, like Mario's.
Up-Air: Nester headbashes upwards.
Down-Air: Nester twirl kicks, like Mario's.
Smash Attacks:
Side Smash: Nester makes a huge punch with the Power Glove.
Up-Smash: Nester punches upwards with the Power Glove.
Down-Smash: Nester swings around a NES controller.
Grabs:
Side-Grab: Nester sumo tosses an opponent, like Mario's.
Back-Grab: Nester sumo tosses an opponent backwards.
Up-Grab: Nester tosses up the opponent.
Down-Grab: Nester bodyslams an opponent.
Taunts:
Up-Taunt: Nester shows his Power Glove and shouts out, "Nintendo Power!"
Side-Taunt: Nester reads the first issue of Nintendo Power.
Down-Taunt: Nester gives a thumbs up.
Special Moves:
B-Neutral: Getting Cheat Codes: Nester reads a Nintendo Power issue to increase his speed, but not the lag of his attacks.
B-Side: Funky Bowling Ball: Nester rolls a powerful but slowmoving bowling ball. Has start up time.
B-Up: Nintendo Parachute Nester rides a Nintendo Power issue parasol. Like Mr. Game and Watch's.
B-Down: Power Up: Nester makes an epic pose, anyone who contacts him will make (only) his standard attacks more powerful temporarily.
Final Smash:
NINTENDO POWER:
Nester summons a giant Nintendo Power logo that comes towards the screen to KO an opponent. Can be dodged by simply dodging, cannot be shielded. Nester screams the famous quote,"Get the Power! Nintendo Power!" while doing this Final Smash.
This moveset took lots of time to do. I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
He has been requested but in the impossible thread,wich I don't agree with even though his chances are pretty low.

Howard and Max should be present somehow.I don't really like this moveset,but some ideas are good.Nester has had the ability to imitate video game characters.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He has been requested but in the impossible thread,wich I don't agree with even though his chances are pretty low.

Howard and Max should be present somehow.I don't really like this moveset,but some ideas are good.Nester has had the ability to imitate video game characters.
Yeah I was gonna say this was a pretty basic moveset.

D

Deleted member

There's no reason Nester should be added, I shall call this a joke thread.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What is your argument? This is not the situation in which it is so obvious (like near clones).
Nester is a strange case, between 1st party and 4th party. He has next to no demand... and now that Nintendo Power is gone, his chances are dead.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You have a point there, I guess.

But, I would ask: How relevant is Nester to Nintendo's history? And is he known in Japan?
American people at most didn't know Starfy nor Lucas, yet they appeared in Brawl.
This could be the same if Sakurai wanted to delve deep in to American history.
Your argument is invalid.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
There's no reason Nester should be added, I shall call this a joke thread.
he can fill Pichu's "Joke character" slot.

plus the guy somehow got his own game once and was part of a former Nintendo owned product, so it's not that impossible.

D

Deleted member

What is your argument? This is not the situation in which it is so obvious (like near clones).
"Near clone" is a bull**** argument in itself, but this isn't the topic for that.
However, what Nester has going against him is the following:

-Not a video game character (no, Funky Bowling doesn't count, he is a comic character firsthand), putting him at the same level as Captain N.
-American exclusive (in which Mike Jones would be the better option by FAR), and again, there's Captain N.
-Has absolutely nothing interesting to translate into a game like Smash other than the Power Glove, which can just as easily be given to 9-Volt among other classic Nintendo references, and a bowling ball, which can be given to Miis among all the other crap they can do.
-Completely obscure to the point that only diehard fans of Nintendo Power will recognise him.
-Phased out of Nintendo Power quite some time ago, making only a few cameos and the occasional milestone comic.
-Nintendo Power is finished, and wasn't even owned by Nintendo since 2007.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
"Near clone" is a bull**** argument in itself, but this isn't the topic for that.
However, what Nester has going against him is the following:

-Not a video game character (no, Funky Bowling doesn't count, he is a comic character firsthand), putting him at the same level as Captain N.
-American exclusive (in which Mike Jones would be the better option by FAR), and again, there's Captain N.
-Has absolutely nothing interesting to translate into a game like Smash other than the Power Glove, which can just as easily be given to 9-Volt among other classic Nintendo references, and a bowling ball, which can be given to Miis among all the other crap they can do.
-Completely obscure to the point that only diehard fans of Nintendo Power will recognise him.
-Phased out of Nintendo Power quite some time ago, making only a few cameos and the occasional milestone comic.
I was waiting for someone to make a better response than I could. Thanks! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

American people at most didn't know Starfy nor Lucas, yet they appeared in Brawl.
Problem is, Nintendo is a Japanese company.
Argument is invalid.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
R.O.B. had generally no demand, yet he appeared in Brawl. Your argument is invalid.
Actually there were some R.O.B. supportes back in the day. I was once of them. :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
R.O.B. was not a videogame character, but he was referenced quite a few times in games like Warioware: Smooth Moves. Nester on the other hand was actually referenced to, read about Nester here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power

So you're not against Mike Jones, what was the point of that. :awesome:

Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. were completely obscure that only diehard fans of these guys will recognize them. :awesome:

Nester appeared on the last issue of Nintendo Power, they still cared for him of course.
There was Nester's Funky Bowling published by Nintendo.
The Mother series was concluded, yet Ness and Lucas got there spotlight in Super Smash Bros.

Your arguments are silly. :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I also don't think that most European players know about this character, too...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Nestor is impossible, but he's pretty much next to impossible. He's just got too much against him, and almost nothing for him. Pretty much what Golden said.

R.O.B. had generally no demand, yet he appeared in Brawl. Your argument is invalid.
Except ROB appeared in all major territories, was essential to Nintendo's worldwide success, represents Nintendo's actual history and hardware much better than a past mascot of a single-region publication, so even if he wasn't popularly requested before his addition, he still had many points in his inclusion that Nestor doesn't. Popularity isn't the only factor in character inclusion, especially in the historical/hardware reps like G&W and ROB. It's a very valid argument.

This is assuming NA and Japan are equal to Nintendo and Sakurai, which, as great as it would be if they were, they aren't. Him being virtually non-existent in Japan is a much bigger problem than Lucas or Starfy not having any games in NA at the time. Plus, Lucas and Starfy were popular characters in Japan (where character popularity matters most) unlike Nestor in NA, who really only gets mentioned as a pipe dream or joke. Nestor isn't even popular in his own territory, the vast majority of people don't even know who he is. Again, a valid argument you are throwing off because for some reason you assume a popular Japanese video game character is equal to a mascot of a magazine based in America.

It's kinda funny no one responds to a good idea like this.
That's because it's not a good idea. ;)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't think Nestor is impossible, but he's pretty much next to impossible. He's just got too much against him, and almost nothing for him. Pretty much what Golden said.

Except ROB appeared in all major territories, was essential to Nintendo's worldwide success, represents Nintendo's actual history and hardware much better than a past mascot of a single-region publication, so even if he wasn't popularly requested before his addition, he still had many points in his inclusion that Nestor doesn't. Popularity isn't the only factor in character inclusion, especially in the historical/hardware reps like G&W and ROB. It's a very valid argument.

This is assuming NA and Japan are equal to Nintendo and Sakurai, which, as great as it would be if they were, they aren't. Him being virtually non-existent in Japan is a much bigger problem than Lucas or Starfy not having any games in NA at the time. Plus, Lucas and Starfy were popular characters in Japan (where character popularity matters most) unlike Nestor in NA, who really only gets mentioned as a pipe dream or joke. Nestor isn't even popular in his own territory, the vast majority of people don't even know who he is. Again, a valid argument you are throwing off because for some reason you assume a popular Japanese video game character is equal to a mascot of a magazine based in America.

That's because it's not a good idea. ;)
GENERALLY

Nester can be considered a historical icon, because most of us generally missed Nintendo Power. Sakurai would need to research into American Nintendo history if that's going to be possible. But that's his choice to do it.

D

Deleted member

R.O.B. was not a videogame character, but he was referenced quite a few times in games like Warioware: Smooth Moves. Nester on the other hand was actually referenced to, read about Nester here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power
However, R.O.B. debuted with Gyromite, a game that needed him in order to play it. R.O.B. is as much as "video game" character as the Zapper and Super Scope is a "video game" weapon (and guess what's an item in Smash?).

The point is that he's American exclusive. Characters that don't exist to the Japanese public WILL NOT GET IN. And it there was to be one, Mike Jones would be the best option, given the StarTropics series.

Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. were completely obscure that only diehard fans of these guys will recognize them. :awesome:
Wrong. Anyone that knows anything knows how R.O.B. is important to Nintendo history as the marketing scheme that saved Nintendo during the Video Game Crash. Without R.O.B., we wouldn't even be arguing about this. As for Game & Watch, he was an obscure blindside character, yes, but given that there was the Game & Watch Gallery titles right before Melee....yeah...not as obscure as you think. That, and people know Game & Watch worldwide. Nester is pretty much only known in America.

Nester appeared on the last issue of Nintendo Power, they still cared for him of course.
The Mother series was concluded, yet Ness and Lucas got there spotlight in Super Smash Bros.
Mother is a ****ing game series. Nintendo Power is a ****ing magazine. If you are seriously comparing the two, there is no saving you.
Also, I said "occasional milestone comic". Last Issue was a milestone.
Nester's Funky Bowling is also irrelevant to the points you are trying to counter. And you know what ELSE is published by Nintendo in America? Dragon Quest. OMG, that must mean Nintendo OWNS it!!! :awesome:

They are only silly to the one who can't make a decent counterpoint. (That's you, by the way.)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
However, R.O.B. debuted with Gyromite, a game that needed him in order to play it. R.O.B. is as much as "video game" character as the Zapper and Super Scope is a "video game" weapon (and guess what's an item in Smash?).
inb4 R.O.B. became a video game character in Brawl.
Just as much you (needed :awesome:) Nester to enjoy Nester's Funky Bowling.

The point is that he's American exclusive. Characters that don't exist to the Japanese public WILL NOT GET IN. And it there was to be one, Mike Jones would be the best option, given the StarTropics series.
So Sakurai doesn't care about America, shame on you. All it requires for Sakurai is a little out of region research. :sick:

Wrong. Anyone that knows anything knows how R.O.B. is important to Nintendo history as the marketing scheme that saved Nintendo during the Video Game Crash. Without R.O.B., we wouldn't even be arguing about this. As for Game & Watch, he was an obscure blindside character, yes, but given that there was the Game & Watch Gallery titles right before Melee....yeah...not as obscure as you think. That, and people know Game & Watch worldwide. Nester is pretty much only known in America.
So does my mom know that in gaming class? :awesome:
I thought R.O.B. failed to impress because R.O.B. was too slow to move a gyromite.
He was not impressive gameplay wise (Nester's game was not impressive either), YET HE APPEARED IN BRAWL.

Mother is a ****ing game series. Nintendo Power is a ****ing magazine. If you are seriously comparing the two, there is no saving you.
Also, I said "occasional milestone comic". Last Issue was a milestone.
Nester's Funky Bowling is also irrelevant to the points you are trying to counter. And you know what ELSE is published by Nintendo in America? Dragon Quest. OMG, that must mean Nintendo OWNS it!!! :awesome:
I compared Mother and Nintendo Power because they both ended (and concluded). Mother was said to not have another sequel (don't say you have hope). Nintendo Power ended because Nintendo was not of their interest. R.O.B.'s legacy ended because Nintendo had no interest to make more games that needed R.O.B., yet they still care. Nintendo can still care about the Americas.

In general, you don't give a **** about Nintendo of America. :<

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can we not insult each other guys? This isn't worth it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Damn comp crashed. Did save my post though, apologies for it being late by now:

Since Melee we've known that Sakurai hasn't had a problem including peripherals and (Nintendo) systems in Smash, which is more than can be said for characters that originated in print.

Well... for one, Mike Jones is a video game character. And he does have a small Smash fanbase. Nestor... doesn't. He's not likely either though btw.

Or people who played the Game & Watch Gallery games... or Mario Kart DS... or you know... owned a Game & Watch or a ROB. These were people all over the world, not just in NA.

Of course Nintendo Power still cares for him, but anyone outside of Nintendo Power doesn't really seem to anymore, including Nintendo themselves.

Yes. Yes there was. A NA-only bowling game for the Virtual Boy. That'll catch Sakurai's attention. That's comparable to other historical Nintendo reps. :rolleyes:

One, when Lucas was included in the roster (05) the series wasn't done yet, Mother 3 hadn't even been released. Secondly, a series with a huge amount of Japanese popularity and a game released a year before the projected release date isn't equal to a character from a magazine that hadn't been seen regularly since 1993 and had one mediocre game for a flop of a system that couldn't have sold well, and didn't leave much of an impact in the long run. Plus, even though it's now done, the Mother series is still a cultural phenomenon in Japan, and Ness and Lucas will always have an impact within Nintendo (even disregarding their Smash appearances), and continue to still have popularity, so their spotlight in future Smash games is still warranted.

Pot, don't call the kettle black. ;)

Nester can be considered a historical icon, because most of us generally missed Nintendo Power. Sakurai would need to research into American Nintendo history if that's going to be possible. But that's his choice to do it.
Uh... huh. If Nestor was really and truly an icon... they probably wouldn't have ended his appearances within the magazine. Or he would've gotten more games. Or both. I'm not saying he doesn't have a small amount of fans or people who remember him fondly, but he can hardly be compared to G&W or ROB, not just because Nintendo Power is much less important in the long run than the actual Nintendo systems and peripherals that caused the system success, but because being the mascot for four years in a magazine that ran for 24 years and was published only in NA, with one subsequent game still wouldn't really be merit enough for Sakurai, even if he did look into American Nintendo history, which he won't... when he can look at worldwide Nintendo history.

There's nothing wrong with supporting Nester, but condemning others for bringing up valid points against his inclusion is a bit misguided.

D

Deleted member

My God, are you seriously THAT dense?
R.O.B. was an accessory that the game required to play. Nester was just one of TWO characters to play as for one American exclusive game for the failed Virtua Boy. Take R.O.B. away, and you can't play Gyromite or Stack-Up whatsoever. Take out Nester, and...it becomes Hester's Funky Bowling and doesn't have multiplayer.

I also never said Sakurai doesn't care about America, so don't be stupid. However, a character that only will cater to a niche group of Americans WILL NOT GET IN. It's simple logic. This is rather ironic, as I'm American myself, but STOP ACTING AS THOUGH AMERICA IS THE MAIN THING THAT MATTERS.
There are characters that Sakurai noted were more popular in America. Namely Sonic and Pit as examples. However, they were still well known in the other corners of the world to the point that including them would not confuse a majority of the fans.
And there are still other characters with more popularity in America than other corners of the globe that have a shot. Ridley. Little Mac. Isaac. These three, despite having not as great as fan support in Japan, all have their merits to include.

And while R.O.B. was not impressive, he saved Nintendo. Nester did no such thing. Stop comparing the two, it's idiotic.
Comparing a magazine to a game series is also idiotic. Don't do it anymore.

In general, you're an American bigot that's so blinded by the grand ol' red white and blue that you can't seem to realize when America is not a prime focus to determine simple logic.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's people like the OP that give a bad image of the United States, only furthering the stereotype that Americans are dumb people, not to mention something else, but I'll keep myself moderated.

I mean, he even resorted to trolling on the Isaac support thread.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My God, are you seriously THAT dense?
R.O.B. was an accessory that the game required to play. Nester was just one of TWO characters to play as for one American exclusive game for the failed Virtua Boy. Take R.O.B. away, and you can't play Gyromite or Stack-Up whatsoever. Take out Nester, and...it becomes Hester's Funky Bowling and doesn't have multiplayer.

I also never said Sakurai doesn't care about America, so don't be stupid. However, a character that only will cater to a niche group of Americans WILL NOT GET IN. It's simple logic. This is rather ironic, as I'm American myself, but STOP ACTING AS THOUGH AMERICA IS THE MAIN THING THAT MATTERS.
There are characters that Sakurai noted were more popular in America. Namely Sonic and Pit as examples. However, they were still well known in the other corners of the world to the point that including them would not confuse a majority of the fans.
And there are still other characters with more popularity in America than other corners of the globe that have a shot. Ridley. Little Mac. Isaac. These three, despite having not as great as fan support in Japan, all have their merits to include.

And while R.O.B. was not impressive, he saved Nintendo. Nester did no such thing. Stop comparing the two, it's idiotic.
Comparing a magazine to a game series is also idiotic. Don't do it anymore.

In general, you're an American bigot that's so blinded by the grand ol' red white and blue that you can't seem to realize when America is not a prime focus to determine simple logic.
STARFY generally in America was not well known either.
American Nintendo history can shared worldwide too, I'm not a douche about America, I was stating that a region needs it's share of love.
Nester (Nintendo Power) gave American gamers a guide and some advertising of games.(something different from R.O.B. required to play Gyromite and Stack Up)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think he's doing it solely as he happens to be the thread starter, and so is trying to protect it from counter-arguments at all costs.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Except Nester isn't nearly as important as R.O.B.

Stop insisting on the same thing over and over. Goodness, you're stubborn.

Anyone with a sane mind knows that everything has its pros and cons.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Except Nester isn't nearly as important as R.O.B.

Stop insisting on the same thing over and over. Goodness, you're stubborn.

Anyone with a sane mind knows that everything has its pros and cons.
They happen to be the only good arguments. Every Nintendo character has its pros and cons. R.O.B. has pros and cons, Mario has pros and cons, Ice Climbers has pros and cons, I could go on. Even though Nester has pros and cons, That doesn't stop him to appear in a Smash game. We just need some American Nintendo history added to a Smash game, that's all we need.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They happen to be the only good arguments. Every Nintendo character has its pros and cons. R.O.B. has pros and cons, Mario has pros and cons, Ice Climbers has pros and cons, I could go on. Even though Nester has pros and cons, That doesn't stop him to appear in a Smash game. We just need some American Nintendo history added to a Smash game, that's all we need.
Why do you have to divide a line? American gaming this. Japanese gaming that. How about SSB be a celebration of gaming in general?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Does the studio Retro Studios ring a bell? Perhaps Metroid Prime and DKC Returns will...
Retro Studios is based in Austin, Texas, United States of AMERICA.

And, guys! This will be a long night, if BluePikmin11 doesn't accept the fact that his arguments are void. I'm sharing my popcorn bowl with y'all!

[collapse="Popcorn!"][/collapse]

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Comparing him to Starfy's pretty dumb as well...

Nester appeared in a cancelled American-only magazine that he hasn't made a regular appearance in in many years, is very much unknown even in his country of origin, is not originally a game character, and is even more unknown in Japan. Face it...no one really cares about him. At all.

Starfy is from a five game (four pre-Brawl) series that revolutionized the "marine" platformer, is incredibly popular in Japan, has made cameos in North American games (Mario and Luigi SS and Super Princess Peach, as well as having a cut Donkey Konga song), and had enough interest to finally get the fifth game in North America. He has a sizeable SSB4 fanbase to boot.

I believe your arguments are, once again, invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom