• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2GGT KTAR Saga: A Battle of Two Coasts

Since the start of the decade, 'Keitaro's Tournament at Rutgers' (KTAR) has been a long time staple event series of the Tri-State region. Many players who we now consider as 'top-level', Nairoby "Nairo" Quezada for instance, eked out a start for themselves there. From a small local event, KTAR transitioned to become a multi-state affair and even spawned a few international iterations.

All good things must come to an end. With Rich "Keitaro" King taking up a job at Counter Logic Gaming in the West Coast, the series had to be put on hold. While the Collision series of events was rebooted to serve its role, Keitaro and 2GGT's Champ have teamed up to organize one last KTAR: the 2GGT KTAR Saga.

Today, two storied tournament series, one from the West Coast and the other from the East Coast, collide. Happening at the eSports Arena in Southern California, talents from all over have flown in for this one day, 409-man Super Smash Bros. Wii U national. Here's everything you need to know about the event and some of the heavy-hitters attending it.

Event Information
2GGT KTAR Saga's doors will open at 8:00 AM Pacific Time but the event's full schedule is as follows:
  • 8:00 AM - Doors Open
  • 10:00 AM - Start of Doubles
  • 12:00 PM - Start of Singles Wave A
  • 2:00 PM - Start of Singles Wave B
  • 4:00 PM - Top 48
  • 6:00 PM - Top 8
  • 9:00 PM - Special Events
The entire event will be livestreamed on 2GG's official Twitch channel. For brackets, Smash.gg has you covered.

Notable Players

Coming off a top 8 finish at EVO 2016 is Larry "eLv | Larry Lurr" Holland :4fox:, arguably the best Fox in the world. During his Super Smash Bros. Brawl career, he attended SKTAR and SKTAR3, finishing 9th at both. Still a top player in the new world of Smash Wii U, this might be his last chance to make top 8 at a KTAR event.

EVO 4th placer and Hawaii-native James "CLG | VoiD" Makekau-Tyson :4sheik: is a clear contender for the top spot. Known for technical Sheik play, his move to Southern California last year began his rise to international relevance. His only KTAR attendance to date was KTAR XVIII, where he placed 4th.

While the Netherlands' finest, Ramin "Mr. R" Delshad :4sheik:, didn't get top 8 at EVO, one shouldn't count him out. Being one of the first players to realize Sheik's potential, he's had consistent top 8 finishes throughout the entirety of Smash 4's history. One of KTAR's first international guests, Mr. R makes his return to the series after his last appearance at 2013's KTAR VIII.

Rhode Island's top dog and KTAR XVII winner Tyler "Marss" Martins :4zss:is another threat to look out for. He's only started travelling this year but has already placed within the top 8 of tournaments like Genesis 3, Pound 2016 and Apex 2016.

These are but a few of the top-level players attending the event. Others to look out for include Tyrell "Nakat" Coleman:4ness:, Corey "False" Shin:4marth:, Jestise "PG | MVD" Negron :4diddy:and a host of talents from both coasts.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Who do you think is going to win KTAR Saga? Tell us in the comments below!

For more coverage on 2GGT KTAR Saga, stay tuned on Smashboards.

All photos belong to 2GG and videos to VGBootCamp and EVO.

Last edited:

Comments

Could the writing staff please specify if they're writing about the Melee side, Smash 4 side, or both together in the headline?

This was my first Smash 4 tournament. I entered singles and won my first set against a Pit. Then I was knocked into the losers bracket by a Ganondorf; A Cloud player eliminated me there. They were all pretty nice people, and I accept that my mistakes were what got me bumped off. I used Ryu for all three sets. So I'm going to resolve to improve my recovery and comboing with Ryu. In addition, I'm going to look into learning Mario as a possible secondary. I'm looking forward to my next tournament!

Pink Fresh loses his own saga, but wins KTAR Saga over Marss, VoiD, Larry Lurr and Mr. R? This series is crazy.
(also shoutout to TLTC taking 13th with solo Palutena)

Top Bottom