• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

12 Characters: Homage to Street Fighter II?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
This struck me at random the other day and now I feel it's more than just a coincidence that SSB64 has 12 playable characters. We all know that there are 8 initial playable characters in the game with 4 being unlockable; let's see how this compares to Street Fighter II:

The first release of Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, had 8 playable characters with 4 CPU-exclusive boss characters. The second release, Championship Edition, made the boss characters playable, totaling 12 playable characters.

SSB64 has 8 initial characters and 4 hidden ones. The hidden characters are CPU-exclusive until you beat them in a match, which unlocks them.

I read an interview in which Sakurai stated that he won a Street Fighter II tournament back in the day, and we know Super Smash Bros. was his response to making an accessible family-friendly fighting game, but I can't help but feel that Sakurai made a homage to Street Fighter II by organizing the playable characters in this way.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Luigi = Ken
Mario = Ryu
DK = Zangief
Link = Vega
Samus = Dhalsim
Captain Falcon = Guile
Ness = M. Bison
Yoshi = Sagat
Kirby = Chun Li
Fox = Balrog
Pikachu = Blanka
Jigglypuff = E. Honda

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
ssb64 & s-nes hyper fighting character-select screen overlays:

ryu = luigi
ken = ness
e. honda = mario
chun-li = yoshi
blanka = donkey kong
zangief = kirby
guile = link
dhalsim = fox
balrog = jigglypuff*
vega = captain falcon
sagat = pikachu
m.bison = samus*

*m.bison was originally intended for the boxer, before being switched for balrog; switch for the u.s. release names.

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Rufus' dive kick is called a Falcon Kick and travels at an angle similar to Captain Falcon's aerial falcon kick. Both games influence each other a bit.

Top Bottom