• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Takamaru's sword is pretty much for decoration and deflecting projectiles; his bread and butter is projectiles. A character who can spam well from afar, deflect projectiles when others try to do the same and attack with his sword/various special abilities when people try to get up close sounds pretty different from the other swordsmen in the game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru's sword is pretty much for decoration and deflecting projectiles; his bread and butter is projectiles. A character who can spam well from afar, deflect projectiles when others try to do the same and attack with his sword/various special abilities when people try to get up close sounds pretty different from the other swordsmen in the game.
This. And he brings a unique play-style that most characters had never done before, which should be enough to tickle Sakurai's fancy if he'd seen some Murasame Castle gameplay. I can't imagine any character other than Takamaru that could introduce such gameplay in the first place. :cool:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'd hesitate to say that Taka's sword is just for decoration when his entire identity is that of a samurai and no matter what casual impressions about sword users would lead one to believe, there is a totally different set of characteristics and dynamics to using katanas than there is to using the knight like or European fencing style of the characters present in the roster already.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only Capcom was bought by Nintendo, then I could imagine that both Arthur and Takamaru would be rivals in Smash 5. After all, both of their games were extremely hard and had run-and-gun elements to them. :troll:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, where does Takamaru fit? (There are such things as hybrid character types):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd hesitate to say that Taka's sword is just for decoration when his entire identity is that of a samurai and no matter what casual impressions about sword users would lead one to believe, there is a totally different set of characteristics and dynamics to using katanas than there is to using the knight like or European fencing style of the characters present in the roster already.
You're definitely right that his sword does make up a large part of his image AND could easily be implemented unlike the other swordsmen. I was mostly going off by how in his game, you tend to throw projectiles and deflect them more since it allows you to keep going while taking out enemies, usually his sword is for dispatching enemies that block exits and take a beating.

As for his classification like what Oracle_Lord asked, I'd say a mix-up between Ranger, Zoner and Speedster.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wait....why am I not added to supporter list already? Add me to the supporter list and I have a request.

Would anybody make Takamaru's SSB4 colors?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Hmmm. After a bit of research I could possibly throw something together. Anyone got any costume suggestions, actually?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wait....why am I not added to supporter list already? Add me to the supporter list and I have a request.

Would anybody make Takamaru's SSB4 colors?
You may want to tag @Xenoblaze for him to do that since he does have a habit of slacking off (I've seen him on Facebook a few hours ago).

As for colors, I remembered Splat doing some colors for him and I might need some time to dig it up.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Here they are, just found this hanging around the Charactte Palette Swap Thread and it was made by @splat as I've previously stated.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Aw man, those are pretty neat. I especially dig the Captain Rainbow Takamaru palette swap.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They all all pretty well done, especially the Captain Rainbow and blue palettes. Here's to hoping Karasumaru (the dark one on the end) becomes a canon character in Return to the Murasame Castle.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
They all all pretty well done, especially the Captain Rainbow and blue palettes. Here's to hoping Karasumaru (the dark one on the end) becomes a canon character in Return to the Murasame Castle.
That would be pretty cool. At this point, it is hopeful Nintendo remakes a Takamaru game and releases it stateside at all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That would be pretty cool. At this point, it is hopeful Nintendo remakes a Takamaru game and releases it stateside at all.
Believe it or not, I did come up with a few ideas for it like weapons and enemies. I've just been too busy with other things to think of anything else and I've sort of couldn't think of a brand new plot.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, I did come up with a few ideas for it like weapons and enemies. I've just been too busy with other things to think of anything else and I've sort of couldn't think of a brand new plot.
So you have come up with ideas and enemies for the newest Takamaru game? Talk about dedication!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So you have come up with ideas and enemies for the newest Takamaru game? Talk about dedication!
Yeah, I've been interested in such an idea for quite a while, I have them on Facebook (which I'll share into separate posts).

Weapons
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.389324221161203.92449.146093455484282&type=3

Boss Battles
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.391351134291845.92796.146093455484282&type=3

Spell Scrolls
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.389947274432231.92577.146093455484282&type=3

Enemies
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.389278714499087.92437.146093455484282&type=3

Easter Eggs
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.424759670950991.1073741825.146093455484282&type=3

Everything you can see is still incomplete, especially the other enemies and more Easter eggs. Since I'm not into digital arts, I do use Google Images as visual examples so far.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Here they are, just found this hanging around the Charactte Palette Swap Thread and it was made by @splat as I've previously stated.
I am in love with the Blue/Orange (Knicks?) Taka in the middle. Still not fond of the Samurai Warriors look outside of the clothing design though.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I am in love with the Blue/Orange (Knicks?) Taka in the middle. Still not fond of the Samurai Warriors look outside of the clothing design though.
Yeah, most of everyone were using 3D renders for each palette, especially splat.

Unless we can invite @ AncientTobacco AncientTobacco here to do some new colors with his Class art. I remembered him doing colors for Medusa earlier this year.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I wish if there was a better quality/res version of that art without the katana being so abruptly cut off. lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wish if there was a better quality/res version of that art without the katana being so abruptly cut off. lol
Sadly the only one's that actually show the full piece are low quality (like the one in @Xenoblaze's OP). We need the best of image editors in order to pull something off like that.

I'm guessing that AcientTobacco is M.I.A. at the moment to work one these.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here you go.

No Rainbow Takamaru because his outfit has patterns that would take a while to make.
Nice, now that Kurasumaru on the right end looks even better than splats by a long shot. It just looks so sinister and strong.The retro outfit itself looks even more natural since it actually suits that appearance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I kinda want to see recolors based on the color schemes of Nazo no Murasame jo enemies. There's more than a couple to choose from.

Red (Fire Ninja, Red Ninja, Tengu, Earth Demon, Porter, Flame Thrower (my favorite), Red Daimyo (also a favorite), "Green" Daimyo, Pink Daimyo, or Murasame himself (not sure how they'd do that, but it would probably be awesome)):

Blue (Star Ninja, Blue Ninja, Fire Shinobu, Hill Bandit, or Blue Daimyo (my favorite),:

Green (Green Ninja, Fire Demon, or Bomb Thrower (my favorite))

Other/Black and White (Black Ninja, White Ninja, Flying Ninja, Bomb Shinobu, Sword Samurai (You don't know how cool this could be.), Spear Samurai, Flame Ninja (would also be amazing), or Castle Guard:

With blue Sprite Takamaru counting neither as red nor blue.

Anyone (@ AncientTobacco AncientTobacco ?) want to try basing some recolors off of these guys? What enemy would you like to see?

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I have some pretty high-res copies of SW3 Takamaru on my PC that I can use for photoshopping the alt costumes. If you give me a bit I can see if one of my friends who is big on digital art can recreate the original Takamaru art for graphics and other things.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I kinda want to see recolors based on the color schemes of Nazo no Murasame jo enemies. There's more than a couple to choose from.

Red (Fire Ninja, Red Ninja, Tengu, Earth Demon, Porter, Flame Thrower (my favorite), Red Daimyo (also a favorite), "Green" Daimyo, Pink Daimyo, or Murasame himself (not sure how they'd do that, but it would probably be awesome)):

Blue (Star Ninja, Blue Ninja, Fire Shinobu, Hill Bandit, or Blue Daimyo (my favorite),:

Green (Green Ninja, Fire Demon, or Bomb Thrower (my favorite))

Other/Black and White (Black Ninja, White Ninja, Flying Ninja, Bomb Shinobu, Sword Samurai (You don't know how cool this could be.), Spear Samurai, Flame Ninja (would also be amazing), or Castle Guard:

With blue Sprite Takamaru counting neither as red nor blue.

Anyone (@ AncientTobacco AncientTobacco ?) want to try basing some recolors off of these guys? What enemy would you like to see?
My favorites out of these guys will go in order: Akasame (Red), Aosame (Blue), the Green Bomber (Green :troll:), Sword Samurai (White), and Flame Ninja (Black). That second to last one is something I'd like to see the most.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
All right. I think I'm gonna go with Earth Demon (Red), Aosame (Blue), Ryokusame (Green), Sword Samurai (White+Black), Ayame (Pink), Original NES Palette, and the Captain Rainbow Palette.

And my friend is working on the recreation. I'll report back when that's done.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All right. I think I'm gonna go with Earth Demon (Red), Aosame (Blue), Ryokusame (Green), Sword Samurai (White+Black), Ayame (Pink), Original NES Palette, and the Captain Rainbow Palette.

And my friend is working on the recreation. I'll report back when that's done.
Awesome, thanks for that.
On the other hand I would like to go back to the subject of Smash Run enemies.
Specifically which of the above in @ Pacack Pacack 's post should appear that isn't a "generic" ninja?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Specifically which of the above in @ Pacack Pacack 's post should appear that isn't a "generic" ninja?
Tengus, Flame Throwers, and Hill Bandits can work. Especially the first one since I hated that guy during my first playthrough. DX

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The Tengu definitely should make an appearance. They go hand in hand with Japanese mythology.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think the Smash Run enemies representing a certain franchise will only appear when the character representing it's franchise is unlocked first? The ninja and tengu enemies would work really well for Smash Run.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Do you guys think the Smash Run enemies representing a certain franchise will only appear when the character representing it's franchise is unlocked first? The ninja and tengu enemies would work really well for Smash Run.
That can work so things won't be too much of a spoiler for those who've bought the game. Though we don't know if the Chorus Men and/or any other Rhythm Heaven reps will be starter or unlockable since the Sneaky Spirits appeared in the E3 Smash Run demo.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have some pretty high-res copies of SW3 Takamaru on my PC that I can use for photoshopping the alt costumes. If you give me a bit I can see if one of my friends who is big on digital art can recreate the original Takamaru art for graphics and other things.
That would be amazing.

Definitely the sword samurai if they're not alts, fire demons, tengu, and Fire Shinobu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom