• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Combos Guide

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
im really trying to share something useful to the mewtwo community.
i sincerely hope it helps those who are trying learn mewtwo.

this combo guide is written for mewtwo players that are well underway in learning advance tecniques and have decent understanding of mewtwo's playing style.

!PLEASE READ!
-it will be commonly assumed that audience already knows general smashbrother melee terms.
-combos presented in the list are dependable and tested on tournament leveled players.
-combos do not work on all percentages or characters and maybe situational.
-explinations will be posted when requested.
-combos are categorized by combo starters, then the sequences are arranged in order of neutral, forward, up, back, then down.
-combos apply to opponents with advance DI and Tech, otherwise not posted.
-combos may be situational.
-grabs may also include approapriate amount of sparks in between.
-shorthop reverse shadowball charge cancel will be abbreviated into SBCC
-none of the combos are created hypothetically

Lets begin ~~

------------------
The Combo List
------------------

Running A

combo : runningA > Grab > continue
combo : runningA > Dtilt/Ftilt/Utilt > continue
combo : runningA > Usmash >continue

Tilts

combo : Dtilt > Ftilt
combo : (fast fallers) Dtilt >Dtilt > repeat
combo : Dtilt > Grab > continue
combo : Dtilt > Fair > Fair/Uair > djcFair/Uair
combo : Dtilt > Nair Fastfall > Grab > continue

combo : Utilt > Bair/Fair/Nair

Throws

combo : (fast fallers) Uthrow > Nair Fastfall > Grab > continue
combo : (fast fallers) Uthrow > shfflcFair/Uair > Grab > continue

combo : Dthrow > techchase > Grab > repeat/continue
combo : Dthrow > FullCharge shadowball.

Aerials

combo : shfflcFair > Grab > continue
combo : shfflcFair > Usmash
combo : shfflcFair > shfflcFair > repeat/continue
combo : Fulljump-rising Fair> Fair
combo : Fulljump-rising Fair > djcNair/Fair/Uair

combo : (in air) Uair > djcUair/Bair
combo : shfflcUair > Grab > continue.

combo : (in air)last-hitNair > Grab > continue
combo : (in air)last-hitNair > Dtilt/Fair > continue

combo : (in air) Bair > djcUair/Bair
combo : SHBair > repeat
combo : SHBair > DI through > Dtilt > continue
combo : SHBair > DI through > Fair > continue

B moves

combo : (edgeguard) shadowball Charge > FullCharge shadowball
combo : SBCC > Grab > continue
combo : SH shadowball > Grab/Dtilt > continue

combo : Disable > anything

Smashes

combo : Usmash > Uair/Bair

NOTE: although these combo's work on characters with advance DI and TECH, you can still potentially practice these in training mode and allow room for minor adjustments during a game.

--------------------------------
How To Use Combo Starters
--------------------------------

Running A
- RunningA's hitbox last for a decent duration and travels a decent range.
- The little knockback but decent stun makes it a good combo starter if you can land it.
- Ultimately, use wavedashes and dashdances to create contrast in your movement speed, then use running A to break your pattern.
- its priority is not high, so do not use carelessly, however it has IASA frames to aid you in retreating when you miss.

Dtilt
- Wavedashes, and spacings are the key to starting combos with Dtilt. Thats all there is to it.
- Wavedash to Dtilt is an effective approach on ground approachers.

Utilt
- Use Utilts to start combos on aerial approachers.
- It has longer range than many character's Dairs, use your experience to judge whether or not you can counter their dairs by outranging them.
- Utilt is also effective on platform stages, when you are below the platform your opponent is on.

Grabs
- Like Dtilt, Wavedashes and mindgames are the key to executing a succesful grab.
- Shield grabs are also usable to punish enemies with inaccurate spacings. However, it must be stressed that shield grabs are not dependable in complex matchs since there are many ways other characters can punish you for shielding too much. Use shield grab only when you know it will not miss.

Nair
- Using nair as an approach, you usually aim to land all hits on your opponent. nair would generally be used to counter or punish aerial approachers. Mindgame is needed, since nair has low priority. However, nair comes out with low execution time, and often comes out faster than your oppoent's timed aerial, hence, making nair a very decent aerial approach.
- Nair's last hit has a knockback that potentially leads to grabs.
- using nair as combo starter, you generally full jump nair before touching your opponent, then time your land so that the last hit is executed before you land and hits your opponent. With the DI and momentum you already have, continue to grabs, fairs, or dtilts.

Fair
- Many people attempt starting combos with fairs mixed into wavedashes. In truth, fair has little range and needs to be used with caution. Do not throw out random fairs.
- Why fair alone, when dtilt flawlessly connects to fair.
- Fair can be used to start combos on aerial approachers when you know and are able to predict their approach patterns. Enemies that know mewtwo will know that most of his approaches are ground based. knowing that, they rarely suspect you jumping towards them in the air and fairing them. Use this approach with caution and approapriate mindgames.
- Fair can also be used inplace of a shield grab. On certain scenarios, Fair out of shield serves as a better combo starter than shield grab.

Uair

Bair

Usmash
- Usmash is one of mewtwo's most versatile of smashes.
- It has a long lasting and huge hitbox that covers mewtwo entire body.
- The last hit has an even larger hitbox that is also disjointed.
- The last hit potentially kills targets at an estimated 140% and the knockback also sets up for combos at low to mid percentages.
- Mewtwo's Usmash cannot be crouch canceled at all percentages.
- It is mistaken that Mewtwo's Usmash is slow and easily punishable. Use Usmash in conjuction with wavedashes.

Disable
- disable counters all 'walk up and jab' approaches.
- disable can be used shorthopped out of shield
- use with extreme caution and appropriate mindgames

Shadowball
- spamming shadowballs occasionally opens opportunities for approaches.
- use shorthop and sh retreating shadowballs to manage your spacings.

SBCC (shadowball charge cancel)
- Use SBCC on fast aerial approaches

thread is open for debate
editing will be done periodicly

Finally~~ thankyou for reading

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
first post..

well, this helps me out, the only thing i need to find now is somewon who can DI correctly whos lives near me o_0

combo : Disable > anything
LOL

Know when you say :combo : Dtilt > Nair/Fair
is that shuffl fair or full jump?

Codename: Zero

Smash Journeyman
combo : [c] (fast fallers) Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab > Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab

I believe this should be changed to

Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab > Uthrow > shfflcUAIR > Grab

I don't think you can catch up to them with Fair because you have to be right in front of them: Uair has a much larger hitbox. I know this combo works on Falcos from 0 - 67%.

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
Now that we got this all that we need now is some charecter matchups and move data to make a large mewtwo guide like t!Mmy's or 8000's

thats what mewtwo needs...a large guide

flashy!

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
"combo : Fulljump-rising Fair> Fair
combo : Fulljump-rising Fair > djcNair/Fair/Uair"

Isn't this just repeating?
Good job, plus I liked the Disable thing >.>

edit: i see now, ok

Airo

Smash Lord
"combo : Fulljump-rising Fair> Fair
combo : Fulljump-rising Fair > djcNair/Fair/Uair"

Isn't this just repeating?
Good job, plus I liked the Disable thing >.>

Does -Uthrow > WD Utilt > Grab work? (on fast fallers?)

it is similar but no they have differences
i will add in detail

combo : Fulljump-rising Fair> Fair
this move is commonly known as doublefair

combo : Fulljump-rising Fair > djcNair/Fair/Uair
this set up has a djc in it. which means that a second jump is used to connect to the second hit and so the combo will not be able to continue

combo : [c] (fast fallers) Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab > Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab

I believe this should be changed to

Uthrow > shfflcFair > Grab > Uthrow > shfflcUAIR > Grab

I don't think you can catch up to them with Fair because you have to be right in front of them: Uair has a much larger hitbox. I know this combo works on Falcos from 0 - 67%.
i will cut out the repeated part in the combos to allow imply variations

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
If i could give rep right now i would give some to you for this awsome guide

if you do a revers shadow claw( jump backwards why shadow clawing fowards) then you can shuffle another one in and uptilt
But if they Di away from you then you can wavedash into a down tilt
(Ive only tried this on fast fallers)
Does this work?

I love my new sig, Flashy!

D

Deleted member

upair grab
dtilt grab
uptilt bair

all pretty basic but necessary

Airo

Smash Lord
well.. keep in mind that there are many possible combos outside of this guide..but im aiming to stick to the ones that you can actually approach opponents with... dair does potentially lead to other things but from my experience, dair is to slow to approach with.

oops, and thx umbreon mow.. ill add those in.

Airo

Smash Lord
interesting... i guess i have something new for me to employ into my game

SH Nair, with all full hits and a forward DI, following your opponent, can connect to a grab. =]
There are few conditions to meet though:
- make sure your manage your DI and timing so that your enemy is always infront of you
- your final hit needs to be at the vertex of your jump.
- the percentage must be cooperative inthe sense that the knockback is not too huge to bypass your chasing DI.
- your opponent must be a medium to fast faller, and needs to be medium to large in height.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
If D-Tilt is at max range some of those combos won't hit.

With Neutral Air I end up just doing full jump into neutral air into djc Shadowball. From there you can go into whatever mid-range options Mewtwo has (quickly before the opponent can recover) Easier to do then trying to do a situational grab and it can end up with a grab anyways =3

Airo

Smash Lord
well. scenarios sure are countless...
but this guide does hopefully serve to express a good idea of mewtwo's type of combos.
in no way are any of the combos for multipurpose use.

if your opponent has terrible DI, mewtwo's combo alternatives are drasticly numerous.

Metà

Smash Master
I'm not sure if you can juggle space animals at really low percentages with the u-smash, but try that out. I don't play M2 anymore though, so I don't really have much to contribute.

Airo

Smash Lord
You forgot dthrow>dsmash. It doesn't work all that much, but it looks too cool to not post.
=] well.. it is pretty cool... but it only connects if your opponent doesnt techs or DI away.
ill add a note that it has a nice chance of connecting this combo only IF you are using your Dthrow on an opponent on the ledge and facing away from the stage, since it would not be their best choice to DI off the stage and let their aerial tumbling animation carry them down the stage.
though As of now, i plan to have this combo guide compile of only combos that have absolute chances of connecting in particular situations.

thx for your imput though. i will write a more indepth analytic section for the combo guide when i have the time. in that section, i can include Dthrow>Dsmash

i think you forgot forward B}dsmash. im not sure its a combo but it workd\s for me
forward B to Dsmash is both counterable and techable. although it does connect when your opponent has no experience retaliating against ForwardB, landing the ForwardB is still a problem in many scenarios.

I'm not sure if you can juggle space animals at really low percentages with the u-smash, but try that out. I don't play M2 anymore though, so I don't really have much to contribute.
hi meta!
back to topic. Usmash cant juggle even space animals for the reason that Usmash has heavy delay and no IASA frame, so mewtwo wont be able follow the DI of the space animal and connect into a juggle. good try =p

Metà

Smash Master
Landing a d-air on a standing opponent can set up some good combo opportunities. It knocks them up into the air for a free aerial (or maybe a shadowball, I dunno). A lot of characters can do this, like Samus and Captain Falcon, but I'm sure it can be applied to Mewtwo (however, not as effectively). This could be devastating on fast-fallers.

Hope my contributions are helpful. <3 Mewtwo and especially <3 Mewtwo players. ^ ^

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Most of Tapion's Falcon Dair combos work due to Tech reading... so Mewtwo's Down Throw tech chasing with Dair might work. Not really a combo... but impressive in a combo vid anyway XD

SHbair wd repeat until at edge > SHbair wd onto edge > Ledge Uair > Something?

Shbair wd repeat until at edge > SUNC > Ledge Uair?

Airo

Smash Lord
in general, shuffles are very multipurpose and you wont need to use instantDJC

only in extreme conditions like instantDJCBair edgeguard. since the tail goes through the stage in this djc, forming a very dependable means of edgeguarding.

instantDJC fairs add to flash flash.
since instantDJC fair comes out and ends so incredibly fast, some people also include it in their movements for the sake of mindgame.

instant DJC also doesnt work with dair or uair.

Airo

Smash Lord
Meta and I are buds

Landing a d-air on a standing opponent can set up some good combo opportunities. It knocks them up into the air for a free aerial (or maybe a shadowball, I dunno). A lot of characters can do this, like Samus and Captain Falcon, but I'm sure it can be applied to Mewtwo (however, not as effectively). This could be devastating on fast-fallers.

Hope my contributions are helpful. <3 Mewtwo and especially <3 Mewtwo players. ^ ^
dair comes out too slow, has uber low priority, and too low of a knockback to use as a combo starter. it only sets up for combos at high 80-120% although it DOES connect to simple combos like, i chose to exclude it from my list, since it is not dependable at all in gameplay. save dair for edgeguards =p

Most of Tapion's Falcon Dair combos work due to Tech reading... so Mewtwo's Down Throw tech chasing with Dair might work. Not really a combo... but impressive in a combo vid anyway XD

SHbair wd repeat until at edge > SHbair wd onto edge > Ledge Uair > Something?

Shbair wd repeat until at edge > SUNC > Ledge Uair?
the Dair is too slow to effectively connect with techchases. im sure it connects with proper mindreading. but it will definately be uber hard o.o

i added SHbair > SHbair > repeat

wavedash is not neccessary, however if knock back or DI is out of range, you CAN waveland your bairs instead.

thankyou VERY much for contributing guys =]

edit: oh wee =.= double post

Hpnotiq

Smash Cadet
nothing new, but very good thread thou*... this combo stuff is very important to make ur game more solid and make you more fluid...

TIN0

Smash Cadet
NNID
FarmingEIAS
3DS FC
1907-8613-7842
thanks. these combos are really helpful. I skimmed it and i'll read it all later so I didn't see it all, but I'm pretty sure that jab- down tilt- fair or up smash works

WickedMewtwo

Smash Rookie
If a player has high damage and you Nair at the side of a stage you can tech! The last frame of his Nair does a Zap and if hit at the right time it will Tech and the opponent will spike down and die!! I find this awesome. But its hard to do.. :4mewtwo::4bayonetta:

Top Bottom