• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play SSB64 Online!

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
For those of you who don't know about it, Kaillera is an online tool that works in conjunction with Project 64 (a N64 Emulator) which allows you to play multiplayer games over the internet. Smash is quite popular in the realm of online emulator play. The server I play on (Emularena Grounds) has at least 40 people and 5+ Smash games going at all time, and it has 50+ people and 10+ games on Friday nights and weekends.

Someone wrote a great guide at http://www.sitesled.com/members/myztek/index.html to help new users download Smash 64 and get set up with Project64 and Kaillera (aka Project64k). This is a great way to hold yourself over for SSBB online play, or if you don't have any one near by that you can play Smash Melee with.

If you are having problem downloading the emulator or Smash Brothers ROM, try getting it from this website (hosted by the same people whose server I play on) http://paramountx.tripod.com/emu-rom.html . Project64k can be downloaded from Meow edit: Against the rules to post links to emulators.

**EDIT: A lot of people have been telling me that they've had problems with the turbo upload site or whatever it is, so here is the SSB ROM rehosted: Meow edit: Against the rules to post links to roms.

knucklesfanatic

Smash Rookie
O yea that server rules. I know all about the project64k. it's pretty good only thing is gotta watch the fps. just don't text during 4 player game

For those of you who don't know about it, Kaillera is an online tool that works in conjunction with Project 64 (a N64 Emulator) which allows you to play multiplayer games over the internet. Smash is quite popular in the realm of online emulator play. The server I play on (Emularena Grounds) has at least 40 people and 5+ Smash games going at all time, and it has 50+ people and 10+ games on Friday nights and weekends.

Someone wrote a great guide at http://www.sitesled.com/members/myztek/index.html to help new users download Smash 64 and get set up with Project64 and Kaillera (aka Project64k). This is a great way to hold yourself over for SSBB online play, or if you don't have any one near by that you can play Smash Melee with.

If you are having problem downloading the emulator or Smash Brothers ROM, try getting it from this website (hosted by the same people whose server I play on) http://paramountx.tripod.com/emu-rom.html .

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Is there an Xbox version? Or is this an Xbox version? xD I haven't even bothered to look at it yet.

I have a modded Xbox... with SSB64 on it. >>

Liney

Smash Cadet
yo, is there any way to like, reduce the lag and make it smoother. At times it's not that bad, but sometimes the lag like, really sucks and i don't like it. I've heard most people play like, completely lagless. I WANT THAT!

help please.

Thino

Smash Master
play on the server you have the least ping on , if if you still lag and the server has setdelay option , set it to a superior value than the default one

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
We should just sticky like, a FAQ or something for everything noobs ask about playing online.

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
It keeps giving me a Graphics Error, Does anyone else getting this problem? Says somthing about my Direct3D and HAL not compatible or something like that with the orginal Project64K

but the better GFX plugin says ERROR: Direct3D failed to initialize. Error Code:8876017CD3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

I click OK.

ERROR: Failed to Intialize Graphics.

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
make sure you're using project64K (emphasis on the K, which means it comes with Kaillera). play around with the graphics settings a bit. I tried fiddling with them awhile back and stuff starting not working. i reverted to the original settings which seemed to work fine. worst comes to worst, try posting on the kaillera forum. although kaillera hasnt been updated in awhile, people still check the forums. you might also want to try finding the godweapon and anti3d websites. these are two other popular kaillera servers, and they have a lot of people who read their forums.

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
Update to the graphics problem. I had a friend try project64k without kaillera and i works fine, but when he tries the same version with kaillera, it crashes. So... its not just your computer's settings, but something screwy with kaillera. there was a link in the kaillera forums somewhere to a slightly updated .dll file that might fix some of the bugs. see if you can find it.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
It keeps giving me a Graphics Error, Does anyone else getting this problem? Says somthing about my Direct3D and HAL not compatible or something like that with the orginal Project64K

but the better GFX plugin says ERROR: Direct3D failed to initialize. Error Code:8876017CD3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

I click OK.

ERROR: Failed to Intialize Graphics.
This also happens if your color settings aren't set up right...

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
try changing your color setting to Medium instead of Highest, if it's on Highest right now

flaco

The Terminator
Well I used to play it but I got bored of it it just playing two games online smash brothers n64 and Mario kart 64 lol thats it I got sick of it.

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
You got sick of playing smash? Sounds like you shouldn't be posting in a smashboards.com forum... Are you trying to blame your boredom on Kaillera? Kaillera is just an addon that lets you play emulated games online. If you don't like playing Smash or Mario Kart then I'm sorry, but there's a couple million of us worldwide that still enjoy it.

flaco

The Terminator
Well is not that I don't play it or I don't like it is that my controller got messed up and everytime I played with the keyboard I lost get what am saying.

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
Ahh ok. Yeah Kaillera still has a few bugs to get worked out. My controller settings got reset once after like 6 months of playing, and I had thought my controller broke from playing smash too much. If you're having issues getting your controller set up, don't forget to play with the deadzone.

If by messed up you mean you poured coffee all over it, then CompUSA sells a usb playstation clone controller for under 20 bucks. I've been using that forever with smash and it works great :).

flaco

The Terminator
Well is that my brother broke it when I was playing with him he got pissed but at the moment I cant play killera client :urg:

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
If you can't connect to a server immediately, close the window and try again. If its timing out, the server might be down. If you can connect to a few servers that seem to have people on them, you might want to fiddle with your windows firewall or router. Hope this helps.

nesshero

Smash Cadet
thanks, now i can connect to servers, but when anyone starts a game with me, it starts off lagging a lot in the selection screens, and then it says i "Desync" and it just stops working (always before we even get to actually start playing). how can i fix this? my ping is 109ms...

Spamiclese

Smash Rookie
I bet you're playing in full screen :-). Full screen with smash brothers causes it to desync all the time. Play in windowed mode. You can make the window really big, just dont put it in full screen.

Also, when playing with people, be sure to turn on all the characters under options -> gameshark in the emulator window as well as turning on the mushroom kingdom under the vs tab. Turning on the mushroom kingdom also allows you to modify the items settings in the game itself. Most people don't play with items and will leave if they don't see you turn them off.

109ms is the max ping I would try playing smash with. Some people might boot you from games if its not a 1v1 since having 4 people playing and one person having a 109 ping will probably lag it.

If this doesnt help, try turning off torrents, downloads, or anything else that might be hogging bandwidth. Let me know if this helps.

LuZr!!@

Smash Cadet
I read and followed the guide, and I quite easily got it to work. :D it's pretty awesome even though it's only smash bros 64 and it's a tad slower then normal.

Top Bottom