• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
These translations are based off of Sakurai's responses to fan email that used to be posted periodically on the official Japanese Super Smash Bros. website, they can be found here, http://www.smashbros.com/jp/toukou/bn/list.html

My personal translation notes and/or thoughts are generally within the [ ].

Disclaimer: To avoid further debates on exactly what is said, as usual I don’t try to make the English sound coherent, rather so you all can see how/why/what I’ve translated and come to the decision for yourselves.

By the way, the Japanese title for this is Super Smash Brothers X, instead of Brawl.

Highlights:

#31-40: Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added is 1-2.

#71-80: The speed of the game will be "moderated." Unclear whether this means slower or faster, but slower is more likely.

#71-80: Every character's ability is being refined from the very beginning in order to allow "more freedom" in aerial combat.

#81-90: Not all characters will return.

#121-130: Just like in SSB and SSBM, in SSBB some attacks will be weaker than others on purpose.

#141-150: If they add online functionality to the game (they are still working out technical difficulties), they do not plan to add a ranking system to online battles.

#161-170: "This time, we'd like to stress easiness over the small details of combat, so overall it might become somewhat easier."

#171-180: Now that Smash is world-renowned, they don't want to include characters only popular in Japan. However, due to the success of the Fire Emblem characters, they still may.

#251-260: Sakurai will make Snake (and all other guest, i.e. 3rd party, characters) into an unlockable character. Sakurai will also eventually reveal all the secret characters (most likely what he did when melee was released: give details on a single starting character every week until release, then after release, give details on one secret character every week until they've all been done).

Full Story:

#1-10: Congratulating someone for getting married and having a kid due to a Melee tourny.

#11-20: Talking about the high calibur of his team, and how they will try their best to please people around the world with SSBB.

#21-30: "Annoying, right? But its so cute, isn't it?" Sakurai is just responding to an email talking about the Nintendog from the trailer.

#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

Sakurai said it as a question, so it could still change. But now we at least have a ballpark of how many non-Nintendo chars will be added.

#41-50: Sakurai says that he thinks the new song (featured in the trailer) is very fitting, and there are already arrangements (I assume he means people hired) for the rest of the songs.

#51-60: Sakurai's witty response to an email suggesting Smash Bros should be featured in the Olympics.

#61-70: Its actually funny, the email Sakurai responds to actually was asking for Toad, but randomly interchanged Toad’s Japanese name with Pinochio’s Japanese name (he reversed the order of one symbol by accident several times). So Sakurai just made fun of him a little bit in this response.

#71-80: This was my very first translation of Sakurai’s stuff. I took a look at my old translation, and looked at the Japanese again. But I decided that my old translation is more or less good enough, because Sakurai was unusually straightforward about what he said. Here is the abbreviated version:

Sakurai said in response to a person complaining that SSBM is too fast: "Don't worry, the speed of the game will "be moderated" a little bit. When I asked "Could we allow more freedom in the aerial battles?" Everyone on my team agreed, so we are refining every character's ability from the very beginning"

Which personally leads me to believe that the changed dynamics of air combat will change the speed of the game (and since air combat is naturally a bit slower than land combat, as more of the game focuses in the air, the speed would be altered).

#81-90: Ah yes, my big translation. This is the translation that started this all. I cut down the original post a bit because it was so long:

After my initial quick translation that I posted on GameFAQs, I was bombarded with people shouting "LIAR! NOT TRUE! STFU TROLLER!" so I decided to post a full translation.

"In order to prove you naysayers wrong, here is a full, nearly exact, translation of what he said. My own personal commentary is provided in the [ ].

DISCLAIMER: Sakurai uses very ambiguous language in his response. So try not to nitpick the English in this passage too much.

"Sorry. I'm not very smart but I can't tell a lie so I'm just going to write it.
As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely.

For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number.

But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].

For argument's sake, no matter how much staff there is, with just manpower we can’t just put in everything, and as my own job [read: workload] does not decrease, there is a limit.

But, the consumer’s desired things to be included [There really isn’t a good English equivalent for that word] are weeeeell understood. You will be [he doesn’t give a subject to the sentence, so I’m using ‘you’] happy regarding the adapted characters moving around on different stages as well [The email he is responding to complained about how there are only 3 stages from SSB that are stages in SSBM, so I guess this infers that there wont be a whole lot of previous stages].

So, we will once again struggle to create characters. I cannot promise you anything other than that.”

And that is exactly what Sakurai said. Hope you guys enjoy the info ^_^ "

#91-100: Sakurai is just being modest about the trailer. Nothing important.

#101-110: Now he’s being modest about his own intelligence, and reflecting on how he wishes he could do stuff like lose on purpose to help other people. Yeah, Sakurai has an odd sense of humor.

#111-120: Sakurai is thanking this guy for sending him an email from Korea (I guess no American sent a Japanese email). And Sakurai also says that there is no helping dreaming about a DS version of SSBB, but right now people should look forward to the Wii version that they are working so hard on.

Sounds like he doesn’t want to say for sure that there won’t eventually be a DS version…

#121-130: Sakurai is saying that they can’t make all of the attacks for each character really strong. And Sakurai goes on to say that the best people always use all of the different attacks for the character, and because they use everything they score much higher.

So yes, some attacks are weaker than others on purpose.

#131-140: “Yes! More than people only wanting to win, we want people to want to have fun in the game. Of course, there are times where the opposite is true, too.”

Take that for what you will, it could mean nothing, but you never know.

#141-150: Sakurai says that to be able to put online battles in the game, there are many high hurdles they must overcome. And if they are able to overcome these hurdles, Sakurai states (verbatim) " 'The winner is great [Also read as celebrated, famous, etc.]' kind of system is not planned to be added."

I'm assuming Sakurai means he's just going to add basic online functionality to the game. He also says his reason is to keep the game fun for the same reasons that melee was fun, or something along those lines. This doesn't mean that wins/losses won't be recorded, but we probably wont be seeing any rankings.

#151-160: This update is simply informing the sender of the email that the Wii can also use 4 GC controllers. Stuff we already know.

#161-170: Upon careful consideration, I decided that my original translation was as accurate as can be. So here it is: "This time, we'd like to stress easiness over the small details of combat, so overall it might become somewhat easier."

#171-180: In this update, Sakurai basically just says that since Smash Bros is popular throughout the world, he can't just use characters that are only popular in Japan. But then he brings up that it worked for the Fire Emblem characters. Once, a black man (yes, he said that) thanked Sakurai for creating Roy just for him.

Another typically cryptic response doesn't necessarily tell us if he will/won't include obscure Japanese characters, but given the general tone of his response, I'm leaning heavily towards no.

#181-190: All Sakurai was talking about were the voice actors for Metaknight and Pit. For you anime fans out there, Pit's Japanese voice actor also plays Conan from Detective Conan (Case Closed in the US I think).

#191-200: Sakurai is simply saying that there is ALOT of time before the game is done, and the staff will work their hardest. I think he also says that while he has a fever (could just be an expression) he will try his best to provide updates.

#201-210: Sakurai says in response to an email asking only for well-known characters (like Mario, Link, etc.) to appear in SSBB, "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...doesn't get me excited"

#211-220: "The game isn't even finished and you already want to know the ending?" Another response where Sakurai is just being funny and playing around.

#221-230: Sakurai said that since you are able to do so many things with the Wiimote, maybe he might add a prank-like function [read: easter egg/CORRECTION: A better translation would be "gimmick-like function," maybe think about the C-Stick's inessential function to SSBM] to the game with the Wiimote.

#231-240: The smash Snake will not use his knife or his pistol [read: guns]. Instead, weapons like his grenade and rocket launcher are being worked on, and it is planned that he will use them. Sakurai reasons that while in Japan, using a survival knife and using a sword are very similar, it is not the same in other parts of the world. In order to allow more people to play this game [read: to not get a T for Teen rating] they will balance it for all countries. Apparently, they also had this reasoning when they created Fox's blaster.

#241-250: This was a rather odd statement by Sakurai. If I'm not mistaken, then I believe he said that this time, only Metaknight will have a Rock [read: Rock as in type of music] version of Kirby's Dance song.

One of the great SWF admins, McFox, clarified this translation in what I think is the closest interpretation: "Well, this is Kirby's victory dance song. I assume that means that when Metaknight wins, a Rockish version of this song will play, instead of Kirby's standard theme."

#251-260: Sakurai in response to an email asking that everything be unlocked as a default = "Well... that is a tough question. As long as the internet exists, all secrets will be revealed quickly. Sometimes even before the game comes out, even. Secret characters are one of the fun parts of Smash. Although you don't want to find out until the very end, I guess [literally: 'after all,' so there is no doubt in this statement] I'll reveal them. Again, just like "Smash fist" [literally: 'Sumabura ken,' the name of the Japanese SSBM site?] I can't just hold these characters back. "

The rest isn't too important. Except the last sentence. Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character.

#261-270: Sakurai doesn't say much besides that Link doesn't have any catchphrases, and having a Link that talks would be odd. Thats...it.

#271-280: Sakurai simply reminisces about Kirby's copy ability. The only important Smash info is the last sentence, "I guess I have no choice but to make a Snake copy, too. Should it be a bandana? Or perhaps a beard?"

#281-290: To finish off the updates, Sakurai responds to an email from the wife of the very first emailer he responded to. After a simple congrats, he starts talking about how the poll has closed. Sakurai says there were alot of submissions that they recieved, and he apoligizes for the many ideas that they can't implement. The only new info is this statement, "We will create this game with balance in mind."

That looks like its the end of the line for now. Probably no more updates on the Japanese site... which means this thread is going to grow some mold until there is anything new (and it'll probably have an English site update too). I want to personally express my gratitude to Smash World Forums' admins and users for being so supportive, its because of all of you that I decided to keep this thread alive.

Thanks.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Oh gawd... I would want all of SSBM characters to stay, but if I was going to cut some of 'em it'd be:
-Doc
-Pichu
-Roy
...maybe Y.Link

Everyone else seems essential >.> and Falco and Ganon... oh gawd... Paranoia is going to hit the forum :o....

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Thank you Samurai. I was hoping we'd find someone who could translate some of the stuff he's been saying for us.

=TF=Omega

Smash Cadet
This is.... disheartening.

I don't think this is a wise decision on Nintendo's part, partly because the people who play with the "dissappearing" characters, which could be ANYBODY'S character, will most undoubtedly be angry. They should keep all 26 in there in my opinion, even if they still have the same dag-nasty (possibly cloned) moveset, if only to keep the fans happy.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
Perhaps the cut is being made so to include more newcomers?
doubt it. he's talking about reducing the "work load." They might be making space for the new characters they just brought in.

Mabe this means 5 characters will be cut?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
For the second time Vulpine, the 5 shown are not the only new characters. There will be more.

*EDIT* You know how I know? Because AFTER the trailer was shown, Sakurai started taking suggestions for characters. He wouldn't take suggestions for characters if they ALREADY had the only new characters they were going to take already in the game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
It's kind of a rule of thumb for a fighter game to have MORE characters with each new edition. There is often a handful that gets the boot, for every departure, there's something like two or so to take their place. At any rate, a SSB game with LESS feels kind of out of place, wouldn't you say?

JPW

Smash Ace
i'm taking a good shot at:

Pichu
Young Link... could be replaced with Cell Shaded Link though.
Marth and Roy I reckon these guys will be replaced with up to date Fire Emblem Characters.
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo and Ice Climbers will aslo have a chance to be cut or not I reckon.

I guess Pichu is a definite from everyone. lol.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Honestly, the reason that they wont just throw in characters is because of balance issues. I can nearly 100% guarentee that, because I have had enough experience with fighters, MMORPGs, and RTS games to know that the major factor in any competitive game's success is balance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's hard to say, DiXy, but personally, I want all 26 characters to return. I don't care if they're clones, but they were all fun to play with. For example, Falco is the stronger one, and Fox is much weaker than his 64 self, so I find it easier to play Falco. Ganondorf is a 'nuff said anyway. Pichu gives me more of a 64 Smash feel, but then again, I just can't stand playing the new Pikachu. Though he is technically better than Pichu, I find him worse for my play style.

Dr. Mario is different enough in the sense of no classic feel, but if anything, he'd make a nice alternate costume.(with cosmetic changes, like the pills, but for the most part, he could be a pure clone of Mario...oh, and a different Super Move, of course) Y. Link may have had almost the exact same moves, but he played extremely differently from Link, making him quite his own character. If anything, I just hope we see Metal Ganondorf in Classic...I am still quite annoyed that he can't appear in Classic as is!!

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox said:
For the second time Vulpine, the 5 shown are not the only new characters. There will be more.

*EDIT* You know how I know? Because AFTER the trailer was shown, Sakurai started taking suggestions for characters. He wouldn't take suggestions for characters if they ALREADY had the only new characters they were going to take already in the game.
But here he is saying that the amount of characters they created last time was a difficult feat that theyre going to try to achieve again. It doesnt sound sound like theyre jumping to crate a massive amount of characters like we all hope. I feel that my prediction is just as valid as yous. If I am in fact wrong, I give you full permission to laugh at me when Brawl comes out.

Best101

Smash Ace
DiXy said:
The speed 'moderately' adjusted? Does this mean wavedashing, teching and wavedashing will be adjusted :(?
I don't think brawl will have those techniques, and you said wavedash twice

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
As long as he only removes low tier characters (basically failures of the game) its all good O_O

*No more Pichu, No more Mewtwo, No more Boozers, no more G&W...that would be good >_>* (well not good but better than removing Fox -_-')

*edit*
Why would Brawl not have teching, airdodging and traction? >_>

DiXy

Smash Rookie
Not taken out, adjusted. However he could mean the speed will be improved forcing even greater compitition but I don't see how it could get much faster?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Vulpine51 said:
But here he is saying that the amount of characters they created last time was a difficult feat that theyre going to try to achieve again. It doesnt sound sound like theyre jumping to crate a massive amount of characters like we all hope. I feel that my prediction is just as valid as yous. If I am in fact wrong, I give you full permission to laugh at me when Brawl comes out.
I'm not saying there are 20 characters we don't know about. But you're trying to say that we already know the entire character list for Brawl, which is false.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lord_Deathborne said:
It's kind of a rule of thumb for a fighter game to have MORE characters with each new edition. There is often a handful that gets the boot, for every departure, there's something like two or so to take their place. At any rate, a SSB game with LESS feels kind of out of place, wouldn't you say?
This is true. I suppose it was wishful thinking to think that the original 26 were immune to being taken out. Heck, only Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li made the cut in the transition from Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 3.

Skullkid

Smash Apprentice
Tell me I'm wrong (please), but if this is true that means the'll be no more than 26 characters in this game...

I think thats impossible. There must be some mistake.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
dotdotdot! said:
This is true. I suppose it was wishful thinking to think that the original 26 were immune to being taken out. Heck, only Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li made the cut in the transition from Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 3.
A perfect example! Cutting a few chars isn't the same as cutting the total roster (or keeping it the same size)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I think there will be more than 26, but it won't likely be MANY more. My best guesstimate would be between 30-35. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not.

burrito

Smash Lord
I'm feeling positive. I don't think he'll remove many characters and the ones that he does will be replace with other equally good characters. For example, Young Link will be replaced with cel shaded Link, Roy will be replaced with a different Fire Emblem character, and Pichu will make room for a different pokemon.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Well, just think, if there's less then 26 characters in the game, and 5 are for sure being added. that means at least 6 have to be cut. I'd be stupid to say there'll be less then 26.

Let me put it this way. We Don't Know Until The Game Comes Out (and we unlock all characters)

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox said:
I'm not saying there are 20 characters we don't know about. But you're trying to say that we already know the entire character list for Brawl, which is false.
I never said I was right my friend, or what the entire character list would be. Just pointed out the possible.....and mabe playing a little "devil's advocate."

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Here's a trick you can play on yourself:

Presume there'll only be Mario,Link,Pikachu,Kirby,Meta,Pit,ZSamus,Wario,Snake in the next SSBB.
Wait for the game to come out, only expecting those characters.
Be suprised that there are 30-40 characters.

It's called expecting less then what'll really be there.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Vulpine51 said:
I never said I was right my friend, or what the entire character list would be. Just pointed out the possible.....and mabe playing a little "devil's advocate."
But your point is completely invalid. There is definitely, without a doubt, AT LEAST 1 more character we don't know about. Because Sakurai is taking suggestions for characters after the trailer is released, we know they're adding AT LEAST 1 more, and of course there'll be more than just one more character.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
If you take Sakurai's suggestion that they would work equally as hard on Brawl as they did Melee I think somewhere around 40-45 is more likely.

Keep in mind also that there is an entire studio of 50+ developers at work on this project.
I'm just saying don't look at the glass half-empty...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye, and so much for speculating that just about anyone could be in. Granted, everyone does seem to have a fair shot, but we'll now have to be realistic and accept that probably the more obscure characters won't make it in.

My guess, then, for characters removed, would be Pichu, Roy, and Mewtwo. Possibly Ice Cimbers as well since they now have Pit in to take the place of the old NES character. And Mr G&W might not make it back in. I'd imagine that Ganondorf will get an entirely new moveset, and that Doc *might* be cut, but hopefully they'll acknowledge the fact that he's loved in the community and will keep him in.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think Sakurai is being really cryptic with his message. Its not really the best move to absolutely remove characters that people have become attatched to from the game, so I think he is actually going to make the clones into full-fledged characters with their own movesets, and/or greatly altered movesets.

So while the same "characters," in terms of movesets, wont be in the final game, the same characters WILL be.

I could be wrong though ^_^''

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Remember that our translator said the post was ambiguous... And after saying some characters will be cut for sure, most of the post focused on how characters will be "remade." I don't think this news is all that bad... Though I'm disappointed to lose any characters, I still highly doubt anyone will be lost but clones, and I still think my prediction of 40 characters could come true.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
McFox said:
But your point is completely invalid. There is definitely, without a doubt, AT LEAST 1 more character we don't know about. Because Sakurai is taking suggestions for characters after the trailer is released, we know they're adding AT LEAST 1 more, and of course there'll be more than just one more character.
Fine you win. You make a good argument. I would love for there to be 50 more characters to be in Brawl. I just choose to not get my hopes up. BUT I would rather they focus more on improving gameplay or adding some intresting new stuff to the game itself, than add some new characters.

Squatdog7

Smash Apprentice
I serously doubt that there will be the same amount of characters in this as there were in the last one. Last time it may have been hard to get 26 characters in the game, but think of how many brand new move sets and charaters were added. This time those main 26 already have move sets in place that may be upgraded, but it will not take as much time. That means most of the work will go into the new characters. I think that there will be 35 characters, which is more then enough especially if some clones have more original movesets.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
This news will not sit good with the DKU guys. Their fear that DK will be removed may come true. I doubt it though since he's been in since the beginning.

I'm more worried about Mewtwo, Ness, Ice Climbers, Marth, and Game & Watch. All of which are characters I'm good with. Except Game & Watch. I just want him in. For a low-tier guy, he's actually the most creative they've gotten with in the game and in the hands of a master, he's downright dangerous. But mostly I just want him back for comic appeal. :laugh:

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I dont see why ICs would be taken out. They are a totally original characters. The clones have much more to worry about.

burrito

Smash Lord
By the way, thanks a lot SamuraiPanda for translating this. Has Sakurai said anything else interesting?

dracleath

Smash Rookie
I think it's fairly likely that they'll implement the ability to have alternate outfits with different skins and models.

I think we'll probably see doctor mario just be an alternate outfit for mario. Young link(or cell shaded link or whatever) will just be alternate for link. Pichu will just be alternate for pikachu. Roy and marth could also be combined into different outfits for one character without loosing much.

I think sheik might end up getting cut outright though, it seems like a waste to have a whole character based on something zelda did in one game, and shiek is popular but her moves aren't particularly visually impressive or original. I think she'll be in as an alt costume for zelda with zeldas moveset.

Falco and ganondorf will probably get their own movesets or at least get a different B move or two.

Other than that I think everyone's ok except maybe game and watch. Game and watch might get cut just because he doesn't really fit on a next gen system, ie you can't really take game and watch and make him look great by giving him a detailed outfit and new moves like they did with mario and link, and he never really fit with the physics of smash bros.

So that's five or six chars right there that could be cut, and with 4 of them not much at all would really be lost from the game. I'd certainly rather have 4 new characters than 4 clones. Shiek and G&W I'd be sad to see go, but whatever.

Top Bottom