• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Man In The Garb, a Dr.Mario character FAQ v2.2 - Small update done

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
The Man in the Garb, a Dr.Mario character FAQ

Super Smash Brothers: Melee Character FAQ
Dr. Mario Character FAQ
Written by Dr.Capsule - lord_raven@hellokitty.com
Version: 2.2

Index:
1: Introduction
2: Doctor Vs Plumber, who shall prevail?
3: Why the Doctor? (Pros and Cons)
4: The Doctors Moves
5: Playing Dr.Mario
- Picking a color
- Recovering
- Getting up from the edge
- Edge-guarding
- Comboing
- Wavedashing
6: Credits and legal stuff

1: Introduction
Dr Mario has so far figured in three games of his own. One on NES, one on the Gameboy and one on the N64.
But finally he's got a chance to get out of his lab to join the Smash Bros roster and he does it with style.

But who is the good doctor?
He is one of the few doctors in the whole gaming market and probably the only one figuring in a fighting game. Just that earns him some cred.

Anyway, Dr.Mario is the character you "play" in his own game Dr.Mario, a puzzle game where you combinate pills to eradicate viruses.

A very addictive game that I myself believe to be up there with Puyo Pop and Puzzle Fighter in terms of puzzle-games.
But on to SSBM,this is the text that comes with the Dr.Mario trophies.

Dr Mario:
"Immaculate in his medical garb, Dr. Mario destroys killer viruses with his amazing vitamin capsules. With his dedicated nurse, Princess Peach, at his side, Dr. Mario spends day and night in his laboratory working on new miracle cures. Somehow he's managed to keep up with all the new viruses that have arisen over the years."

Dr. Mario (Smash 1):
"There's hardly any difference in the abilities of Mario and Dr. Mario, so choosing is largely a matter of taste. Dr. Mario is a tad slower due to his lack of exercise, but his Megavitamins pack a bit more punch than Mario's Fireballs. The capsules travel on a unique trajectory and make a distinct sound on impact."

Dr. Mario (Smash 2):
"The differences between Dr. Mario and Mario are more pronounced in some areas than others, but basically they can be played in a similar fashion.
While it may be hard to spot the contrasts, they do exist. For example, Dr. Mario's Super Sheet is longer and narrower than Mario's cape, and any opponents hit by Dr. Tornado will fly off in diverse directions."

Finally, how do you get Doctor Mario?
Just finish the game on Classic without using continues and you'll face him. Beat him and he's yours to use.

2: Doctor Vs Plumber, who shall prevail?
Doctor Mario hasn't been rescuing princesses and stuff like his plumbering counterpart and therefore lacks training, making him slower, but also stronger for some reason...
So what's the reason I choose Dr.Mario over Mario?
Well:
- He's stronger. His attacks deal more damage and makes the enemy fly further.
- His F-air is better than Marios spike and are probably his best knockout move.
- His pills rock your world. They deal more damage than the fireballs, flies further and are
harder to avoid.
- He's a tad bit slower.
- His recovery is worse thanks to the fact that the cape is only usable once and then it hampers your recovery.
- Also he doesn't have a Up-B glitch like Mario does.

So, he's slower and has worse recovery. But that's about the only things worse about him compared to Mario.
Well actually, that makes Mario a better character in many peoples book, but that's beside the point. :p

But then again, why choose him at all?
I mean, characters like Falco or Sheik ARE better, so why shouldn't you play them instead?
For me, it's a matter of taste. I find Dr.Mario to be the most fun to play of all characters, and beating some cocky Falco only makes it funnier.
But anyway, I'll try making you understand why I find him so appealing.

3: Why The Doctor? (Pros and Cons)

Pros and Cons
Dr.Mario is a great character that has good smashes, good juggles, a great aerial game, is pretty fast and has a great projectile. Dr.Mario is just like his counterpart pretty good at everything.
This is by far his biggest strength and weakness. Doc’s only enemies are the characters that are over-balanced. Characters like C.Falcon, Fox, Marth and Sheik. The whole top eh?
He can take on half the "higher" tier and the whole middle to bottom-tier, but the fact that the top characters are his counters are what make him drop down to High.

Actually I believe Doc can hold his own against all characters, it just comes down to one single sentence.
Don't make mistakes.
That's it. If you make a mistake with Dr.Mario against a higher-to-top tier character, you're screwed thanks to Docs horrible recovery.

So who should play the good doctor really?
Personally I fins him incredibly awarding to play with. You know you stand a chance against the top if you just manage to avoid making little errors.
Doc is a good character with lots of advantages but his recovery is an even bigger disadvantage coupled with his bad range. But as I’ve said before, if you’re looking for a challenge,
play him because SSBM won’t get any better than this. Getting interested? I sure hope so because now I’ll guide you through each and every of his moves and then I’ll teach you how to put every one of them to good use.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
4: The Doctors Moves

In this area I will describe each attack as well as putting a little something about when, how and why to use the attack. I will also put up a little basic guide before going on to the actual moves, such as Dodging, Sidestepping and Shorthopping. But I will also write about the techniques called L-Canceling and Wavedashing.

Moves:
As I just said, I will first write a little something about the various moves all characters are able to perform, such as jumping and dodging.

Jumping:
Jumping is done by simply pushing the control-stick Up or by pressing the X or Y button.
Jumping is among the most important thing to do, since a good bunch of attacks only can be done from the air or are better when done so. For Doctor Mario, jumping is very important when combined with his array of aerial-bound attacks, since his best (I.M.O) knockout move is among them. Jumping is also done for closing in faster to your opponent or for confusing them by jumping over them and attacking them from behind. Just jumping isn't enough, mastering jumping is essential for all SSBM-players, without exceptions.

Dodge:
While holding the R or L-button, press left or right on the control stick to dodge. Dr.Mario rolls out of the way by doing this. His dodge is neither bad nor good, it's pretty standard. This can be both good and bad. Dodging is a pretty nifty technique maybe the first 500 hours or so you play, but after that the uses of it declines. There's a laggy start-up and finish in which your opponent can hit you. Dodging is never to be regarded as useless I believe but in the long run you should use prioritise better techniques.

Shielding:
As you KNOW, by holding the R or L button you will put up your shield which absorbs damage. Incredibly useful and combined with other techniques it's simply "awesome".
The little tricks are:
Jumping from the shield is a great way to get out of the way. You can instantly perform attacks, air-dodge or just get the **** out of there. You must learn this.
Dodging. Yes you can dodge from the shield. I don't know why I wrote this but here it is. You can dodge from the shield.
And, since you jump from the shield you can also wavedash. Now I promise that you'll break your poor wrists before getting this down. Harder trick there isn't in this game I believe.
But if you do learn it, you've just improved your game with all characters.

Short-Hopping:
A jump, only much shorter. You do this by pressing the X or Y-button very fast, you just tap it carefully. What is this good for you ask? Well, it's the same as for usual jumping; you do attacks out of it, only that the attacks are done closer to the ground. And therefore, you can do all your aerial-attacks as ground-attacks, adding five attacks to your ground fighting!
Once again, Doc's best knockout-move is an aerial one, and if done with a short-hop, you do it faster and with a bigger chance to hit.

Fast-Falling:
A very simple yet useful technique, fast falling is done by pressing down on the control stick while falling. If done so, your character will fall faster towards the ground. The uses for this are explained later but the basics for it are reaching the ground before your opponent can get to you and hit you while in the air.

Sidestepping:
Another move everyone can do. When holding the R or L-button, press down on the control stick to Sidestep, making the character flash for a second and avoiding all possible harms.
This is simply a move for avoiding attacks on the spot. With the right timing you will be able to avoid about anything including smashes, grabs and thrown objects. This for example has much better uses in the long run than rolling. You'll dodge and will be able to hit your opponent directly after it. Also, there’s barely any lag involved so simply it's a more viable tactic when you become a better player.

Air-Dodging:
The last type of dodging, air dodging is of course done in the air. Just press R or L while floating and you will suddenly stop and flash for a second, making you invulnerable to attacks. If you press the control stick at the same time, you will float a short bit in that direction. This can serve as a third safer jump than the usual Up B. Air-Dodging is a technique that should not be overabused, since it is pretty easy to attack someone out of it. After you've done it, you can't do anything more but fall to the ground. While doing this, you're extremely vulnerable to attacks. Air Dodging is therefore preferably done as close to the ground as possible, otherwise you're in for a nasty surprise. Use, but don't abuse.

Air-Teching: (?)
By tapping the control stick left-right, you’ll straighten yourself up while tumbling around in the air. This becomes more and more useful the more you use it. Right now I’m able to do it maybe a second or two after I’ve been hit, enabling me to counterattack much faster, especially if hit by a launcher which has sent me straight up. Other uses are for recovery. When being smashed over the edge and trying to come back, do this to straighten up and save your jump for later. Using your jump to straighten yourself up can be dangerous since your movement in-air will be seriously hampered by it. Save it for later and trick your edge-guard happy opponent.

Teching:
This is also a quite simple technique to use. It's also easy to learn but to master takes some time though not very long compared to other techniques. It is simply a fast recovery when you've been hit to the ground. Right when you touch the ground, press R or L (you can use Z too but I advise against it) to perform a kip-up and rise to your feet immediately. To get the correct timing in can need some practicing but it's quite easy really. You should practice this until it's a reflexive action, you just press the R/L when you hit the ground without thinking about it. But there's more to it. You can also hold a direction on the control stick when doing this to roll that way getting you out of harms way. The downside of this can be that you continually roll into people’s smashes by accident by pointing the stick the wrong direction... Still, it's important to learn this too. Finally you can tech to a wall by pressing R or L when you hit it. This is especially important on levels such as Hyrule where you can hide in the "cage" in the middle and with help of this survive well over 300%.

L-Canceling:
This little thing is probably the most usable thing you'll ever learn if you actually manage to master it. It sounds pretty simple but is less. After you've done an aerial attack close to the ground, you'll fall to it and then a short to long recovery time follows when you can do nothing. Frustrating isn't it? Well, by using L-Canceling, you will negate that recovery time and will therefore be able to move out of harms way faster or follow up with another attack much faster than without. So how do you do it? Just before you hit the ground, press R or L.
It's that easy. But remember that this must be done in the middle of a fight right after you've done another attack. No matter what people say, I simply find this to be the best technique in SSBM at all. It speeds up your game and leaves you less vulnerable after an attack. What more do you need? You can play fast with DK dammit!

Wavedashing:
Now for the fascinating bug people has realised exists. Wavedashing is simply air dodging into the ground, extremely close to the ground. But I'll go into it deeper. Wavedashing is a way to move over the screen fast while being able to perform any attack anytime. Sounds good doesn't it? It really is, but it's pretty **** hard to learn too. So how do you do it? For starters, you should practice it by jumping once, and when you've almost reached the ground, air-dodge diagonally down-left or down-right. If done correctly, Dr.Mario should slide a little bit to the direction you pushed the stick. This is in most cases no good, but it’s just the beginning. After you've learned this, you should try doing it out of a short-jump. After this, you should try doing the one-hundredth of a second after you've jumped, continually.
Hold the stick, down-right or down-left and press jump, then press R or L as fast as possible, preferably as I just said, one-hundredth of a second. If done correctly, you'll slide a bit in the chosen direction. Now press X, R, X, R, X, R, X, R, X, R over and over again and you should begin to slide over the screen. Now start to alter the control back and forth and you should be able to move around the screen by just wavedashing. Nice, you know how to perform a wavedash, now you should learn to perform it out of nothing and follow it up with attacks.
More on this in the "How To Play Doc"-part.

DI’ing:
DI stands for Directional Influence and is something that should be kept in mind all times when playing. DI is used to get out of combos, survive into higher percents of damage and space your attacks to hit better.
You do this by using the control stick as usual. If you’re hit out from the platform, push the stick towards the platform and up to make your character float upwards a little and slow your flight towards doom. Your recovery will then be easier and shorter.
When you’re being comboed, also remember to DI. How to do this I can’t really say, it depends on which attack you’re hit by and what player you’re juggled by. For instance when chain grabbed by Peach at low percents, you can’t really know how she will move next to catch you. A good chain grabber uses their own version of DI’ing to grab you again. The only thing I can tell you is to practice.

You may think this part was pretty useless but since it’s the basics of playing Super Smash you should learn it all before moving on to the next part. Now, if you’re some kind of pro cruising for other viewpoints on Doc this part was pretty useless. :p

The moves:
Now I'll go into each of Dr.Marios moves and write something about the uses for them and maybe a little about the range, damage and speed.

A Button Moves: (The basic stuff)
The A-button is the bread and butter in SSBM. The characters strong attacks, Smashes, and Aerials are done with that button and I'll dare to say it's at least twice as important as the B-button.
First out is the basic combo: A, A, A.

A, A, A: One, Two Kick-combo
Damage Done: 4, 4, 4%
Mario’s basic combo is slow, I have to admit it. It’s slow, deals low damage and most characters can deal out an attack before you manage to kick them. So simply avoid the kick. But don’t avoid the whole move, all attacks are good to know and only gives you more options. The death of all players is predictability. So use it sparingly, preferably if you can manage to time it against grabbers or people about to smash you. It’s Docs fastest attack and has uses just for that.

Strong Attacks:
Dr Mario’s strong attacks aren’t among the best in the game, but the uses do exist as with all attacks. They are mainly for keeping distance and racking up a little extra damage.

Up A: Uppercut
Damage Done: 10%
A good move simply. Doc smashes his fist up making anyone in its vicinity fly. If you hit someone on the ground or very close to it, they’ll fly up and to the right. If hitting someone in-air, they’ll fly almost straight up. This is one of Doc’s best jugglers and can often be used continually against bigger/heavier characters with Ganon and Link as favourites. (Surprise huh…?) Still, Doc is best played as a short-hop maniac and doesn’t really like standing on the ground except when edge-guarding, but if you’ve shield-grabbed someone and smashed them down, use this for a quick combo followed by a N-Air.

Forward A: Kick
Damage Done: 7%
This move is not that good. It’s simply a kick, and a quite ugly one to boot. Doc just protrudes his foot forward hitting anyone who happens to be standing there. The only nice thing to say about it is that it has quite nice range. You could go in for some extra damage against lightweighters with bad range like Ness or Jigglypuff. Again, this has its uses but they are few. Use it sparingly like when Edge-Guarding or when you just want your enemy to get away from you.

Down A: Sweep Kick
Damage Done: 9%
Doc bends down and sweeps his foot in front of him. This move is strange, since it sends the enemy flying towards you and behind you. This move also is mainly for poking the enemy and gives you a little breathing space. Even more useless than Forward-A, I barely ever use this attack but I'll tell you about the strange use I have for it. When facing an enemy such as C.Falcon or Ganondorf, who has highly abusable recoveries you can edge-guard with this. Just bend down and wait for them. When they reach the edge, kick them in the head and they'll be trying to fly past you. Now, since the edge is in the way, they'll get smashed into that and will then fall to their doom. In most cases the cape is better but since this goes a tiny bit under the edge you could psyche your opponent with it. Just remember to roll away or sidestep if he techs, you’ll get hit by his recovery otherwise.

Dash A: Glidekick
Damage Done: 9%
You’ll love this move for very long. It is fast, has nice range, goes under your enemies shield and sends your opponent straight up. But, almost all Dash-attacks suck in the long run. This one has among the worst recovery time of all moves and has a hit box that makes your little sister cry. If you miss this one against an experienced player, you’re screwed big time. But as usual it has its uses. Actually I still use this against Marth. Right when he’s done his smash and missed it (yeah REALLY often right…) you can do this to pop him up in the air and juggle him. If he sets up his shield it’s all right because it’ll probably go under it. So the uses are clear, it can be good if done after a missed smash, but you have to make sure it connects because otherwise you’ll get more hurt than you’d ever manage to hurt him.

Smashes:
Smashes are a little like Dash-attacks. They’re great the first 500 hours of play but the use decline, not as much as the Dash though. Doc’s smashes are good, maybe even great but he has some serious problems connecting them due to the short range of them. But of course, as with all moves you should learn them, master them and use them whenever you see an opening. It’s his most powerful attacks after all.

Forward-Smash: Lightning Smash
Damage Done: 19-25%
This move is Doc’s best KO’er in terms of damage and knock back-effect, but is less so when you take its horrible range in account. It can easily kill someone at 100% if not less, and if they reach as much as 150% (shame on you) they will "die" from the massive impact. The trick with this one is to use it when your opponent is recovering from his own smash or to Wavedash back or forth and do one with the C-Stick. Forward makes it gain a little more range and backwards makes it serve as an evasive attack. This is a great attack, it’s just hard to hit with.

Up-Smash: Overhead Smash
Damage Done: 16-21%
You’ll use this one less and less the more you play just as with the rest of his smashes. The wind-up time is just to long for it to be truly great when playing on high level. But this one’s still pretty nifty if used as a juggler. It may not deal incredible amounts of damage and the launcher effect is pretty bad too but almost 20% and the chance to juggle your opponent is always welcome. But as I’ve stated before, the wind-up time is a little to long and it requires a good sense of timing to actually get in a clean hit.

Down-Smash: Dragons Tail
Damage Done: 18-24%
This name may be misdirecting, but it was the best name I could come up with. Dr Mario bends down and smashes both his feet and legs around him knocking away all enemies nearby.
It has the best range of Doc’s smashes and is pretty fast to throw out. The only problem is that he spins around his feet instead of doing a split. The recovery is a little to long but if you hit, that’s not a problem. As with all smashes, you have to hit because otherwise you’ll get hurt which you in most cases can’t afford when playing Doc, at least not against characters like Fox, Marth and Sheik. Tough luck eh? You can’t use your strongest attacks against your biggest enemies. I guess that’s what makes them your biggest enemies.

Aerial Moves:
As stated before, Doc’s aerials are his best moves. He has a good charge-attack that outranks his dash, a great K.O-move, a very useful edge-guarder, a good juggling attack and also a nice combo-starter. Mastering his aerials is essential, if not a must when playing Doc. Plus; they’re darn cool when used correctly.

But before I go into the moves, I’ll have to present the single most useful technique in the entire game, namely shffl’ing.

Shffl’ing:
Shffl is short for "ShortHopped FastFalled L-cancel".
Sounds pretentious don’t it? Now imagine being able to perform all your aerials on grounded enemies with less performing time than a strong and less recovery than a smash. The thought almost gave me goose bumps before I learned it. It’s the best simply and as soon as you’ve really learned this, you’ll start asking yourself how you could have been playing without this. ^_^
But for now, you’ll just have to learn the basics which everyone is forced to start with. Practice doing it in training first and then go over to doing it in matches. Your playing will get worse the first 5-10 hours when learning this but then it will suddenly improve at a pace only experienced when you first started playing the game. I’m not kidding here. Before learning this I could kick my best friends C.Falcon with maybe one or two characters namely Doc and Marth. Now I can kick him with DK, Ness, Young Link, Doc, Marth, Fox, Luigi, Ganondorf and occasionally Roy. The usefulness of shfll’ing transcends everything and if you don’t learn this, you’ll never get truly pro. But well, you won’t get pro just by learning this but it’s the biggest step you’ll ever take.

Here’s a course on how to learn shffl’ing. Remember to do each part until you’re really proficient at it. Just L-canceling once or fast-falling once won’t do. Practice it for at least five minutes, preferably fifteen. Shffl’ing is hard and recquires both precision and speed so practice practice practice, otherwise you’ll learn this the wrong way and will only end up frustrated and will start calling L-Canceling unnecessary which is as far from the truth you can come.

1 - First off, learn to fastfall. Jump, perform an F-Air and then smash the stick down. You should reach the ground faster.

2 - Learn to L-Cancel. Jump, press Forward + A and when you reach the ground again, press L or R. If done correctly, most of the lag will be cut off and Doc will rise to his feet faster.

3 - Now combine these two. Jump, do a F-Air, smash the stick down and when you reach the ground press L or R. Faster performance, less lag. This really demands immense practicing and until you’re really good at this, you shouldn't go further into this. At least half an hour should suffice. Yes, I know this may sound extreme but the truth is that you sacrifice maybe two-three hours of your life to get much better at this game. If you’re going for casual play (what’cha doin at SWF anyway then?) maybe this isn’t that necessary but if you want to get pro in the long run, you MUST learn this.
After you’ve learned fast-falling in conjunction with L-canceling, you should learn how to short-hop.

4 - Basically, just tap the jump-button slightly or tap it very fast. You should jump a little less vertical. Do this for 10 minutes or so until you’re getting it down in practice. Now start adding attacks to this. Actually, short-hopping is the most important step in shffl'ing. You could first practice a little in matches with just short-hopping. Your game will probably improve by just learning thus. But that’s besides the point, learn to fully shffl instead.

5 - Now, do all of this at a time. Short-hop, press F-Air, fast-fall and press L/R when reaching the ground. Did you get it in? Probably not because if you did you should have skipped this part.
For you who didn't, you'll need weeks of practice and you need to practice it IN matches. Try doing short-hops and L-Cancels all the time, on all aerials. It'll probably take months until you'll fully get it down and can do it as a reflex. I think I’m getting this down pretty good by now. I get it in little more than 9/10 times, and maybe 8/10 times when getting a clean hit since the timing is a little different then. Also, I don’t think about the fact that I shffl any longer, it’s as natural as jumping and wavedashing, it’s just another technique in my arsenal and the same should apply to you in the long run.

But now, I will describe each aerial attack, both when performed in-air and when performed as a juggle.

For starters, Doc’s aerial game actually isn’t that incredible. He doesn’t have very good manoeuvrability when flying and his attacks are pretty short-ranged. Shffl’d on the other hand, the aerials quickly becomes what defines Doctor Mario. He can deal nice damage in short time while still being able to avoid counter-attacks due to the almost non-existent recovery time his shffl’d aerials has. In other words, Doc should stay as close as possible to the ground while still being in the air.

Neutral-Air: Sex-Kick
Damage Done: 5-9%
Doc’s Sex-Kick is among the best in the game. It has a long performing time, a good hit-box and increases in power the longer it’s out. This means of course that the most powerful hits are performed from the air. Full-jumped, fastfalled ones can sometimes actually be worth using, though not very often. But using this as some kind of counter in-air is stupid, the range is bad and you really need some kind of momentum for it to be usable. And so, shffl’ing comes into the spotlight once again.

Shffl’d this attack becomes one of Doc’s best. It is quite fast, has short recovery, a good hitbox and deals nice damage. The trick is to use it while running. Do a short dash and then a shffl’d N-Air. Congratulations! Doc’s best charge-attack is yours to use and abuse. A good way to push your enemy backwards is to use this over and over on him pushing him further and further back.

A great attack and possibly the one you’ll use the most because of it’s versatility.

Back-Air: Double Kick
Damage Done: 8%
Docs B-Air is almost as good as his Sex-Kick. It’s fast, has the best range of his aerials and has pretty good knockback. If you don’t shffl it, full-jump it and use it for its range to poke away incoming enemies.

If used with shffl’s this attack has uses similar to Jiggly’s B-Air. It is far better than N-Air when edgeguarding and racking up damage. The recovery is as usual non-existant and so you can do it maybe once per second or even more often with enough training. It can’t be used as a charge however so leave that for the N-Air.

Up-Air: Somersault
Damage Done: 7-10%
First off, this one is incredibly hard to shffl, even if you use the C-Stick. You’ll have to train for months (after you’ve learned basic shffl’ing!) until you can pull this off correctly but when you do it’s… Actually this attack isn’t as great as you hoped. It’s good alright but doesn’t have very many uses. The main use is if you can pull it off repeatedly without fail. Then you’ll be able to hit low-percentage enemies with this for up to 30%. Yeah I know that’s a lot, but the training this requires is immense. Also openings won’t appear very often. It’s kinda like smashes. They’re great when you get them in, but you won’t get them in very often. Of course you should learn this, but save it for last.

Up in the sky this attack is far better I think. It’s very good for juggling as you can hit from beneath and it sends your enemy just a little up and to the side, time for another one? You’ll find yourself using this one more than it should be healthy when airborne. Along with B-Air, this is Doc’s best attack while being forced to fight flying. There’s also another strange use for it if you feel like surprising your opponent.

When someone's about to come back to the edge, you could just run out, hold the control stick a little up and press A. You’ll hopefully hit the opponent and send him away again. You should then have your second jump left to get back to the edge. Or if you haven’t got it because you screwed up the attack, your Up-B should be enough.

This attack is better than you realise first. Use it often but keep in mind not to be predictable. Use this when jumping up under your opponent but mix in other attacks every now and then to surprise your opponent. Be unpredictable!

Forward-Air: Air-Smash
Damage Done: 17%
You have a better name for Doc’s strongest aerial? I sure don’t and so I’m gonna call it "Air-Smash". This deals as stated above a whopping 17% to whoever may be in its nearness. That’s enough to kill enemies at 100-150%. To boot you’ll often get this in while your enemy’s airborne and so you’ll need even less damage for them to be smashed to kingdom come. Anyway, there are some major downfalls for this attack and it doesn’t really matter if it is performed shffl’d or not. It has major wind-up time for starters where Doc first pulls his fist back ready to smash it. Second, it has very short range and the hitbox is just his fist, not his body like the Sex-Kick. Thirdly, even if you l-cancel it still has among the worst recovery-times of all Doc’s attacks. And if you miss the l-cancel and even missed the attack, you’re gonna get hurt. And so, this attack requires the most practice of all Doc’s aerials. You’ll have to master this one to make it useful, so the first five to ten hours of shffl’ing, you should use this consistently. Your gameplay will suffer but in the long run you’re gonna get far better anyway. People will start anticipating when you will throw this out and will start avoiding it. Good, when they’ve started doing that and you feel comfortable with it, start using it maybe one-tenth as much, but with bigger precision. Throw it out when he least expects it and make sure you’re really gonna get it in. In the long run, this will become your number one K.O-move perhaps along with your grabs.

Down-Air: Drill-Kick
Damage Done: 2-11%
This move should not be used shffl’d, you have lots better moves to use instead of this one. Instead it should be used with a full jump but with the fast-fall and l-cancel. This way it can be used for intercepting enemies from the air while stopping them from counterattacking. It is therefore most useful against floaters such as Peach, Samus and Jigglypuff. And, if you hit with this while airborne you can always get in a free Up-Air directly after. I use this attack very sparingly because of the many downfalls of it. It has its uses but they are few and they are very circumstantial.

Special Attacks:
Docs special have been quite overlooked by me. They are actually pretty good but are as the name implies used for special circumstances. You have a great projectile, a good edge-guarder, a rather crappy third jump and a somewhat fun recovery trick helps you against edge-guarders. You should learn the uses of his specials just as you should learn all his A’s and grabs, they’re simply part of his arsenal and the more you use of it the better.

Neutral-B: Megavitamins a.k.a The Pill
Damage Done: 4-6%
The pills are along with his Air-Smash what define Doctor Mario and also what makes him more than a Mario-clone. The pills have it all. Damage, a great stun effect that sometimes sets in even if the opponent blocks, a great bounce effect that is affected after how far from the ground you throw the pill and fast spamming rate. The only thing missing would be speed, it’s not that fast but on the other hand it’s better for setting up combos that way.
But anyway, what is the best way to use the pill? It’s something called a pillrush and if you don’t know what that is I’ll tell you right now.
A pill-rush is a short-hopped, fastfalled pill. Those again huh? Starting to get annoyed? I did when I realised I had to fast-fall every **** attack I used. But if you think a little you realise its kinda logic. Fastfalling makes you reach the ground faster which shortens your recovery time. And shortening the recovery time makes you faster, which is what this game is all about in the long run. Every **** second you possibly can earn by using weird strategies is good, because you’re gonna need it. But back to the pills.

Anyway, a main tactic is to short-hop forward, throw a pill and fastfall. Repeat. You’ll be throwing pills against your opponent until you’re close enough to start doing shffl’d N-Air’s or a F-Air instead. They’re simply for rushing your opponent while keeping some sort of defense up. Another nice trick you can do is to first do a pillrush and then do a fulljumped pill. Both pills should reach your opponent at approximately the same time. But really, you should check out the other Doc-guide here on Smashboards, his Pill-part is far better than mine.

Up-B: Super Jump Punch
Damage Done: 2-13%
This is bad, really really bad. The range is short, the damage is incredibly low and the third jump-effect is a joke. If you use this as an attack I’ll laugh at you. But since it’s so bad, you have to learn sweetspotting. You have to learn the exact path and length of this so that you can grab the edge by the millimetre. There’s is a little fun thing to this that makes its usefulness a little more than abysmal. Doctor Mario’s arms are longer than it seems. He can actually grab the edge from a little distance after you’ve finished this. It’s nothing I would recommend you learn to do but it will save you a number of times and your opponent is gonna go: "You should have died there!". But well, since it’s so bad it’s even more important you learn how to surpass this weakness of Docs. It’s about the only recovery he has after all so you’ll just have stick with it.

Forward-B: Super Sheet
Damage Done: 8-11%
The sheet is another thing that is less useful than Marios, I guess it’s to balance that his F-Air, D-Air, F-Smash and Sex-Kick is better. But from what I’ve learned, it’s actually a little longer than Mario so the reflector-effect should be better. But how often are you gonna use that? The main use of this attack is edge-guarding. You know that hitting someone with this turns them around, which has a few times saved me from smashes and the like. Try doing it on an enemy using his third jump. If you time it correctly, they’ll turn around in mid-air without a chance to recover. It is really easy to do against C.Falcon and Ganondorf and a little bit harder on Falco and Fox. But you can do it against everyone with a third jump; some enemies are just much harder. It’s for example possible to do it against Marth but the timing is much harder to get in and you’ll probably get hurt by it anyway. But more on that later. This move just gains more and more uses the more you play.

Down-B: Dr. Tornado
Damage Done: 2-10%
I don’t really know how to put this. But alright, this might be Doc’s worst attack overall in competition with his Down-A. It has bad range, low damage and bad recovery. Yeah, it’s that bad. But of course there are uses, they’re just few and kinda unnecessary, you could do much else instead of this. But I’ll tell you since I’m so nice. One is to use a U-Throw against fastfallers and immediately do this. You’ll do maybe 15-18% of damage, which can be quite helpful. But remember you can only do this when they’re on low to mid damage. The same goes for normal-weighters on low damage. Against floaters it isn’t possible.
The other is to use it in mid-air against some U-Air happy opponents. With a little luck they’ll be trapped in it and sent away to get you some breathing space. The third are for recovery-purposes. If you mash the B-button when doing this, you’ll stay in mid-air and can turn a little to the left or right while doing it. The recovery part will explain this better later on.

Throws:
Doc’s throws are good. He has a little something for everything when it comes to grabbing your opponent. Just learn when to grab and which throw to use and you’re set. Throwing is among the most basic things in SSBM and has some major uses. Anyway, first I’m gonna tell you about some little tricks involving grabbing.

Shield-Grabbing:
The normal way to grab is to press Z, but after a while this won't do since your opponents are to fast to get grabbed normally.
Then, you should use Shield-Grabbing. If you've seen the "How To Play", you should know that you can grab by pressing R and A together.
And that's about it. First you shield and wait for someone to hit you. When they've finished their attack, press A to grab. This enables you to first shield to avoid damage and getting flung away, then grabbing and either setting up a combo or just throw them away. Very simple, yet very useful. Just remember to use Z when running.

Dash-Canceling:
Yay, another cancel-tech!
When doing a running grab, you should smash the control stick up before pressing Z.
If done right the lag-time involved by missing will be cut to maybe half. Just learn it, it’s simple and useful.

On to the throws:

While Holding - A: Headbutt
Damage Done: 3%
Dr.Mario headbutts his opponent while holding him, dealing a small amount of damage. This may seem useless, but if you grab often and remembers to use this once or twice, you'll soon rack up some respectable extra-damage with this.

While Holding - Up: Trampoline Launcher
Damage Done: 8%
This attack somehow reminds me of a trampoline since it sends your opponent up the same way Mr Game & Watches recovery do.
Anyway, this is a launcher, only made for sending your opponent up. This throws main use is for players who really like air-fighting or against characters who hates it. It can also be used when standing under a roof to smash them up in the roof and then directly down again to give you a free smash. Not really his best throw but not a bad one either. And don't forget that this is the choice when fighting fast-fallers on low damage, the D-Throw won't get you anywhere then.

While Holding - Forward: Fling
Damage Dome: 9%
Well, he flings his opponent a little bit so that's the best name for it. They won't go very far, nor will it deal very much damage. But this is really fun for edge-guarding. Just when they think they've made it back, just grab them, headbutt them once or twice and send them out again, and again, and again, and soon they'll be dead for sure. If they manage to get past you, turn around and use the next grab instead. Another fun use can be to fling your opponent into another if playing free for all. Since this throw comes out really fast, it can be used for interrupting a charging Captain Falcon itching to use his knee. Or you could even throw some poor fella right into the same Falcon and his dreaded knee.

While Holding - Back: Wrestle Whirlwind
Damage Done: 12%
Like some big wrestler he grabs his opponent by the legs, spins them around a few times and then throws them away. Now we're talking!
This is by far Dr.Marios best knockout-throw and has killed many a smash-avoiding opponent. Other from just killing them off, I don't know what this move is for. If they don't die right-out, run to the edge and get ready to edge-guard. And by the way, this move deals a nice 12%. ^_^

While Holding - Down: Rebound Pound
Damage Done: 6%
Doc smashes his opponent into the ground, which makes him bounce up again and ready to smash away. My personal favorite when it comes to setting up combos, since they won't be able to guard you when you grab. (Duh) Prolly his best set-up move and far better than the Dash-A in the long run. The effect is similar but it's safer.

And well, that should be it really. Now I'll move on to getting a little deeper into playing Dr.Mario.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
This part of the FAQ will probably be the most important one and also the part I'll update the most. It will be broken down into several sub-chapters and therefore have its own index.
Each sub-chapter except for the first will be broken down into segments with a difficulty as title, showing how hard it is to perform and/or learn the following technique/s.

Part One - Picking a color
Part Two - Recovering
Part Three - Getting Up From The Edge
Part Four - Edge-Guarding
Part Five - Comboing
Part Six - Wavedashing

Part One - Picking a color:
An important part (At least I think so) of playing SSBM is to pick your own version of your character of choice and then stick to it, teaching your opponents that when you pick that character with that particular color, they're in for some spanking.
So here I'll present the different aspects of our favorite doctor.

The Doctor
Color: White
History: This is the ordinary Doctor Mario, the one figuring in his own games curing patients with his array of pills. This is also the basic choice for any Dr.Mario player. There's nothing more to it except that white Peach is his trusted assistant.

The Butcher
Color: Red
Sometimes you have to get all that frustration out of your body. Dr.Mario does this by slaughtering countless cows, pigs and other animals. Legally of course. The color of his coat is red because of all the blood he'll get on him when swinging the meat-axe. It was bought red you know, it hasn't been colored that way by the blood...

The Necromancer
Color: Black
You've heard of Dr.Jekyll and Mister Hyde? This is Dr.Marios version. When he puts on his black suit, he becomes a servant of the dark arts of necromancy, taking his vow to preserve life to the extreme. If a patient happens to die, he will use his dark magic to make the person rise once again, adding to his increasing number of servants and assistants.
Fear him and his dark minions! ._.

The Gynaecologist
Color: Green
This is what Dr.Mario does during his spare-time. He checks what's behind the underwear of girls. Pretty perverted you may think, but it's a job like any he will tell you. If you ask him why he does it during his spare-time he will just hush at you and tell you not all girls are models.
Armed with a endless amount of contraceptive tablets, a.k.a The Pill, he fights for the rights of women. A dedicated debatteur, he will crush any religious people who're against his precious pills.
Actually, I got this idea from when I happened to pause during a back-throw on Peach. I looked closer and saw that he was stretching his right hand against her - hrm - you understand... And from that point, he was the mighty gynaecologist and my choice of color.

The Bluesman
Color: Blue
You may not know this, but Dr.Mario actually plays in a Blues-Band. He plays the saxophone to be precise. He may not be very good at it, but he tries really hard. Other than that, this set up is supposed to be his finest set of clothes, which he wears at seminaries and similar occasions such as important conferences. A serious man indeed, the good doctor.

Part Two - Recovering:
Recovering is to survive being smashed out from the edge. "There are a number of ways to do this and the choice is yours." The one who thinks out up what game that quote comes from gets a price! But let’s get serious. Recovering is something you’ll spend lots of time doing when playing Doc. Remember that about doing mistakes? This is what you’re gonna have to do if you make one. Too bad Doc is crap at it. Here’s the moves you can use anyway.
- Jumping
- Airdodging
- Super Jump Punch (Up-B)
- Doctor Tornado
- Super Sheet
- Air-Teching

The best would be if you could recover by just using your jump, and maybe combined with a air-dodge to evade your opponents attacks. Preferably you should air-dodge against him and hopefully past him. It’s even better if you could air-dodge a little down against the edge to reach it faster after you’ve finished your air-dodge. Actually, if you manage to dodge down into the ground it’s even better. You’ll do a wavedash which probably tricks your opponent and makes you go past him, making you able to counterattack. But this is overcourse, let’s take one thing at a time.

Now, if you happen to go far enough past the edge so that a jump and a air-dodge isn’t enough, you’ll have to use your Up-B. The area it covers is pretty bad for a third jump and you’re kinda vulnerable while doing it. Just learn sweetspotting like I mentioned earlier and you’re at least a little bit safer. If you forgot or didn’t read that part, I’ll tell you again. It’s grabbing the ledge by the millimeter. This way your opponent will have a harder time edge-guarding you and maybe he jumps out to hit you. Then immediately press Up-B. If playing on Final Destination, you’ll smash him up into the wall beneath the ledge and he’ll fall to his doom. If not, you just grabbed the edge and will surely survive. Maybe you can even edge-hog the opponent.

Moreover, always remember to air-tech. That is tapping the control stick left-right to straighten yourself up. This way you can save your jump for later which is good for a number of reasons. One is against spikers. If someone jumps out prepared to spike you, fastfall. Hopefully the spike will miss and he will be forced to get back to the ledge. Remember you have your jump left? Use it now and hit him with your Up-B and sweetspot. Now let’s be a little optimistic. If you are, you’re gonna reach the ledge before your competitor. Now get up there before he does and edge-guard him back.

Another thing to always remember is the Super Sheet, but only use it once. Using it more than once only makes you lose vertical distance while that one helps you gain a little.
Also, it slows you down when flying at high speed out from the edge.

Getting tired of all these little tricks you have to remember? Well there’s more. The Doctor Tornado for example. If you’re positioned above the edge, press Down-B and mash B like **** while holding the control stick towards the edge. You’ll slowly float towards safety and will gain a little space. This is often enough to save you from a certain death and should therefore always be kept in mind.

So this is what you should do every time you get smashed and have to recover;
Air-tech by tapping the control-stick back and forth and use the supersheet to slow you down. Then press Down-B and mash the B-button to gain a little extra distance. Fall down beneath the edge, use your jump and if necessary, try timing your Super Jump Punch (Up-B) so that you JUST grab the edge. Easy? In theory yes but it recquires some immense playing and practicing until you actually remember all this. But you’re gonna need it since Docs recovery is so bad. That pixels you’ll gain from a super-sheet and tornado will save your life many times, and sweetspotting really makes the difference between life and death.

Part Three - Getting Up From The Edge:
Yes, this is connected to recovering but is still something else.
It is to begin with associated to how much damage you’ve suffered so long.
So let’s begin.

Say you’re hanging on to the ledge and Falco is standing up there waiting for you to make a mistake so he can smash you out again. What to do, what to do?
First, check your damage. Is it over or under 100%?
Under you say? Good, this’ll become easier then.
Pressing A will make you bend over the edge and do a double-kick kinda similar to your B-Air.
It deals 8% and won’t make your enemy go very far. But it’s enough for you to have a chance at getting out of there. Pressing jump makes Doc fling himself up from the edge and jump over your enemy. You also have you double-jump left so counter attacking should be easy.
Finally you can press R or L to roll. Doc will bend over and roll like a ball a little bit. The start-up time is kinda bad even at low percents, Doc has to make a small attempt before heaving himself over the edge.

Finally you can angle the control stick slightly up to make him do a small somersault and land on the ledge. I haven’t really cared about this but it’s possible, just so you know.

Now if your percents are over 100%, it gets trickier.
Pressing A makes Doc slowly bend over the edge and kick the enemy for about 10% damage.
Don’t touch this one, the wind-up time is huge and the recovery bad. There’s much better things to do.

Pressing jump makes him heave himself slowly over the edge and jump only by the power of his arms. This can be used but is kinda laggy and is more for when your opponent is far away or when you for some reason attached to the edge by free will.

Pressing R or L makes him slowly crawl over the edge and roll sideways. Ick, this sucks. You’ll get smashed either before you even start rolling or directly after. If you do this, you’re nuts.

Finally tapping the stick slightly up makes him bend over the edge and stand up. Simply don’t.

Now you ask that if you can’t do any of your options when you’re over 100%, what should you do instead?
First, press down to drop from the edge and then immediately press jump to ascend over the edge and up on the ledge. From this you can air-dodge or attack.
Well actually it’s not that easy since you have to jump a milli-second after you let go of the edge ‘cause otherwise the effect will be delayed (Of course) and your opponent will have a bigger chance of stopping you. But now to the choices.

Air-dodging is often the best choice. It enables you to dodge your enemys attacks and land safely behind him. With a little practice you’ll even be able to wavedash as a way of getting up from the edge. But doing that demands training and doing it in actual fights and while learning it, you’ll take a huge number of suicides from missing the air-dodge and dodging down back into the edge instead.

Doing attacks from the edge is similar to shffl’d aerials, so check those out again first.
But there are of course a couple of differences. The F-Air is good against people who doesn’t like shield-grabbing but rather stands there waiting to attack. The N-Air is very hard to cover distance with and is rather a way to hit enemies standing directly over you. (For some reason)
And the D-Air is actually at its esse here. Jumping up and doing a drillkick has confused many a opponent and protected me from getting hit.
Finally the U-Air is quite good here to. The knockback is reasonable, the recovery is short and it’s quite hard to grab you from it. Just mix them up and you’re set.

Part Four - Edge-Guarding:
Edge-guarding is the way of stopping people from recovering and getting up from the edge.
Doc doesn’t really excel at this but has a couple of tricks that makes him at least stand above the crowd.

The main attacks for this are:
- F-Smash
- B-Air
- Super Cape
- N-Air
- Edge-hogging

There are more but they are used less than the rest. Strongs and the Pill are among them but since they’re not that good and the uses are quite obvious I won’t go deeper into them.

First off is the F-Smash. There are no enemies that are so unaware of their vulnerability as people making an effort to get back to the ledge alive. Therefore, the F-Smash has some good uses in edge-guarding. You have to be positioned pretty close to the edge and hope your foe isn’t hasn’t got that fast reflexes. I he hasn’t, he’ll wait a second or two until jumping up and that’s where your smash comes in. Smack it in his face and send him out again to a sure death. Not many survives Docs F-Smash from the edge…

The B-Air is a killer in edge-guarding and should be your main. The range is as stated before good, the knockback is nice and the recovery-time short. Kick him back, then kick him further back and then kick him even further back with this. I can’t really explain how useful this attack is when edge-guarding, you’ll just have to try it out yourself.

The super cape is another great way to edge-guard.
It simply turns you opponent around no matter what he’s currently doing. The best use is of course to turn him around when the enemy is performing his third jump. Hit him as fast as possible to make him fly away from the edge as far as possible. Against all characters who has third jumps that ends with them being vulnerable and just falling down this is a killer. I’ll put the uses against each character of this in the next update.

More on, the N-Air is actually one of my favourites. The trick is to jump up and place your foot in their face when they’re trying to get back. Just by touching it they’ll fly out again and has to do it over. Maybe it’s time for a Super Cape then?

Edge-hogging is to grab the edge before your opponent does safely protecting him from grabbing it himself. This is the best know way to stop those pesky sweetspotters from getting up. One way is to short-hop backwards and grab the edge. Another one is to wavedash backwards, that way you’ll slide over the edge and grabs on faster than by short-hopping. But this is not enough. Right when your enemy is about to grab on to the edge, press R or L to get up and stop them from hitting you with their Up-B. If timed right, you’ll escape unhurt and they die. Can’t get any better.

Finally there’s a combination of the B-Air and edge-hogging. When hanging to the edge, you can just jump out and kick them back with your B-Air and then use your second jump and maybe the Up-B to get back to safety yourself. More on this some other time, I’m not that proficient myself at doing it.

Part Five - Comboing:
Comboing is something that most people are convinced doesn't exist in SSBM with a few exceptions and I'm one of them. There is no such thing as certain attack-combinations that always work or in any way certain button-combinations that always work. And that's what I love about SSBM. You have to improvise, just like you always should when fighting. Now, maybe you think that a combo-part is meaningless but let me explain. I will dedicate this part of the FAQ to teaching you how to improvise your own combos. There will be no combos such as Dash-A to U-Tilt to U-Smash to D-Air to U-Tilt to F-Air. Well you could sometimes get this one in but the possibility is incredibly low and also it's dangerous to work out litte combos before even getting in the first hit... No, you should think over your options about five times a second. Not by sitting there thinking "What should I do now?" it should work by instinct.

The most basic combo-starter that all Doc-novices will use is the Dash-A. It's a good starter to boot. It goes right under shields and launches your opponent just above you. From here you should be able to think for yourself. A U-Tilt is fast and sends your opponent away ready for maybe a U-Air or an F-Air. You could also get in another U-Tilt if you're lucky and continue the combo from there. Also, a Up-Smash is always a viable option, but only on lower percents, otherwise the chance is they DI away or manage to get in a Sex-kick or similar. Moreover, you can of course get in all your aerials directly from this one but actually I advise against it. Use a U-Tilt instead and an aerial after that.
A similar set-up but performed in another way is the D-Throw. The followups are very similar but the angle U-Tilt sends your opponent may be a little off, be mindful of that. Another way to get in the U-Tilt is by L-Canceling a D-Air and immediately throw out a U-Tilt. Can be quite hard to get in but is rewarding; don't use it to often anyway. A little surprise that every player needs.
You know how to do a running smash right? Dash and then smash the stick up and press A; you should immediately charge up a smash. This can be a good way to launch your opponent up again when they're trying to land. A full-jumped aerial is better here. Do a U-Air on them and throw a pill. Or a back-air if they're close to the edge. Or a D-Air to a U-Air. Improvise.
And I mentioned pills. Yes, they're a great way of setting up little combos thanks to their short stun-effect and fast spamming rate. Do a full jump, pill and then fastfall to whatever aerial you may feel like or if you're proficient with your timing, wavedash after the pill and grab your opponent. You can also short-hop and fastfall the pills, run and then do a shffl’d aerial, a Dash-A or maybe a wavedashed smash.
A really hard launcher is the shffl'd U-Air which can be chained mostly into more aerials, a shffl'd U-Air for instance. :p If you’re good enough at this, you should be able to get in maybe three or four of these and if you’re lucky a smash at the end. You should really try to learn to get in maybe two or three in a row and get it down in regular play. It
Finally, the U-Throw is a launcher of course, but Doc throws his enemy so **** far with it it's useless in most cases. The uses do exist though. Against fast-fallers for instance, on low damage. If these criterias are filled, the U-Throw is definitely better than the D-Throw. The D-Throw makes them reach the ground so fast again you won't have any time to get in a hit.
The followups are similar of course but remember that they fall faster so the U-Smash is better than the U-Tilt in this case.

Part Six - Wavedashing:
You should have learned WD'ing before even looking at this part. I've written about how to do it in the moves part.

Dr Mario’s wavedash is a really good one. It's fast and goes quite far. To boot he has numerous uses for it making it one of the most useful WD'es in the game.

Use one is wavesmashing. You WD forward towards you opponent. Then you hit the C-Stick the direction you want to load up a smash while moving. BAM!
This may sound really good but isn't actually. Your opponent will learn to get out of there when you start WD'ing if you do this to often. It can be good sometimes, but I prefer more refined ways to get in my smashes. But you should learn this and surprise your opponent with it when he doesn't expect a slow laggy smash to be coming his way.

Use two is countering. WD backwards when your opponent is about to hit you and then hit him instead. Far better than the other use I believe. You opponent will probably be lagging from his attack, or if you're really fast, you'll hit him on his way down before he has even reached the ground. This IS the best if not the only way to get in your F-Smash when playing against advanced players. Forget about standing there waiting for them to simply walk into it. You have to move dude.

Use three is landing. When you're about to land from floating around in the air, wavedash into the ground right before hitting it and you'll...GASP...wavedash away!
Now, this wavedash is longer than the usual one and this trick makes you away from whatever enemy that is trying to juggle you. You'll find this more and more useful when playing and it will in time hopefully be a reflex for you.

Use four is comboing. Did your opponent fly away a little bit more than he should? You don't have time to run after him, stop and perform a smash you say? Well, then wavedash!
When you have risen to the level (I'm closing in) where you can string together attacks by WD'ing, you've come far. I'm using the three first on a regular basis and am cruising for this one. The few times I get it in, it really pays off. So try, just try using the WD for comboing. When you've learned to you shouldn't be reading this FAQ anymore.

6: Credits and legal stuff
This document is Copyright (c) 2004 the author, Dr.Capsule, all rights
Reserved. Unless otherwise mentioned, the content within this file was
written and is sole property of the author.

You may e-mail me and ask for permission to put it up on your site, unchanged of course. If you're polite, you'll probably get my permission.

First off, I have to give my thanks to Neophos for critisising the FAQ and making me update it.
I also have to thank VilNess for being the coolest finnish smasher out there and helping me get this FAQ better.
Also thanks to ivootjes(nr18), Kirby Squa and THE RED SPARROW for pointing out errors so I could correct them.
Finally thanks to JJ, ShortVersion, soroush123, HoodedHomie1234, PillSpammer and DaRkNeSsOfHeArT for their feedback.

And of course I'll have to thank Nintendo for letting HAL make this great game. I have so far played this **** game for more than 900 hours, which has probably messed up my grades pretty badly. (Why am I writing this? I should be studying... )

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
This is al for now, please read it through and comment on it. I will update with my own experiences as well as inputs I feel would make my guide better. You will of course be put in the credits area then. ;)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Good, very good! Doc is highest tiered character that I play (due to my attitude problem against top&upper tiered characters, except for Captain falcon.) and I´m quite good with!
Maybe It´s just me, but I got a picture about your guide that makes Doc look like only an average comboer. I think he´s more than that.
Again, might be just me...
Also notice the unique part of Doc´s sex kick which gets stronger after released, while all other neutral A´s either stay same or decrease...

Thanks again for the guide! Doc rocks!

Neophos

Smash Ace
yesh. its nice, i did read most of it, and yeah , good job.

I know that your Doc is good, so well, it wasnt unexpected that the guide would be good.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, thanks guys. I appreciate it. :)

But I have to rewrite it on several spots, it's kinda outdated actually. It took me about two month to write it so I've become lots better during the writing process. The only thing that is somewhat recent is part 5.

Anyway VilNess, no matter how much I love Doc, (He's my fave) I can't deny that he's not that great of a comboer. He got good launchers and finishers but not that great followups = Combos.
But you'll send 'em up and away, but not with that much damage added.

Neophos

Smash Ace
yay!! a guide that gets updated!!

its almost rare.. >.> <.<

and also, personal question, or well....

why didnt you use Doc against my Sheik?? your Doc was plenty much better then your Fox..

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it was...
I thought of that myself the week after. But I really don't care, and they would have been mad (madder) if I had won the tournament... You're just gonna have to give me a rematch. ;)

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by VilNess
Also notice the unique part of Doc´s sex kick which gets stronger after released, while all other neutral A´s either stay same or decrease...
Well I have, did you really read it through (?) because I mentioned just that when I described the Sex-Kick, that the attack increases in strength the longer it's out. @_@

Also, the first update is done!
I've done little fixes and changes every here and there, AND I've added a new area in the "How To Play"-part on Wavedashing.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I didn't, and that mainly because I actually barely ever use them. But I'll try and maybe it'll be in the next update. :)

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
try to get contact with "kirby squad" (he isn't very often on the boards, so maybe you'll have to wait a few days) and ask him for dr. mario's edge guarding, he's the best edge guarder I know and he plays dr. mario.

Kirby Squad

Smash Lord
yeah with the doc u should try to keep the match on the sides of the lvl so u can backthrow and try back-kicking or caping but I can't really explain it.... only show it :p

ShortVersion

Smash Rookie
Nice guide. I'm interested in playing doc and this and that other guide were just what i was looking for :). Glad you had sections on WD'ing and Shffl'ing because those are 2 things i need to work on. Keep up the good work.

PS: (Capsule or Kirby...do you have any videos on DC++? I've seen some of Mike's and he's pretty good but i want to see different play styles.)

soroush123

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Dr.Capsule

The Gynaecologist
This is what Dr.Mario does during his spare-time. He checks what's behind the underwear of girls. Pretty perverted you may think, but it's a job like any he will tell you. If you ask him why he does it during his spare-time he will just hush at you and tell you not all girls are models.
Armed with a endless amount of contraceptive tablets, a.k.a The Pill, he fights for the rights of women. A dedicated debatteur, he will crush any religious people who're against his precious pills.
Actually, I got this idea from when I happened to pause during a back-throw on Peach. I looked closer and saw that he was stretching his right hand against her - hrm - you understand... And from that point, he was the mighty gynaecologist and my choice of color.
You friggin rule. lol Great guide dude.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Hehe thanks people, now I have to update and improve the guide for you. :D

Especially the move-part, it's kinda outdated. And the How To Play-area needs a major overlook too.

And yeah, I've got videos but there I'm crap in comparison to now I think. I can barely shffl there and doesn't use wavedashes nearly as much as I should. You could check them out but that's not me, that WAS me. Also the people I'm playing against has improved, too bad they haven't learned neither WD'ing nor shffl'ing...

HoodedHomie1234

Smash Apprentice
Doc is actually one of the better combo characters in the game, infact the Japanese think that Doc is a sheik counter because of his awesome combos on her, ive seen captain jack get quadruple u-airs on Azen's sheik among other cool combos

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know, it's just that you have to be ultra-pro to pull off multiple shffl'd U-Airs. I believe my Doc to be pretty decent and I can do maybe one or two of them. I'll have to adapt my FAQ to beginner to intermediate+ since it's that kind of people who reads FAQ's, the rest watches vids.

Anyway, I'll have to update it as I said, and hopefully it'll be a major one.

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
A major update has now been made and the name has been updated to 2.0. The reason is that all attacks has been rewriitten and the How To Play part has been given a grand overlook. Hope you like it better now. :)

VilNess

Smash Champion
good to know you´ve been updating this, although I´m growing more on normal Mario...

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Your guide is very good EXCEPT on you proclaiming Dr.Marios superiority in the sex kick area. Have you met my friend Samus?:o

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Yes I have met your friend Samus and I guess she's his only rival in the sex-kick department. I'll see to that when I update this again. I will probably add more to the edge-guarding part and add a Vs-area.

Thanks by the way. :)

Neophos

Smash Ace
But the friend Samus has a evil twin named Luigi.

His sex is 1% stronger, more priority, and can combo better. Samus has more range and KO power to the sides (duh...), but Luigis can kill floaties at relatively low %.

So, Luigi > Samus > Link > Doc. ^_^

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
**** you're scary sometimes Neo. @_@
Seems like I have to do a update then. I wonder when I get the time. **** school and Bloodlines... Well, mostly Bloodlines. :p

PillSpammer

Smash Rookie
Nice guide! I only have one major grievance...

Black Doc ---should be called---> Doctor Pimp
Red Doc ---should be called---> Doctor Love

:-)

And perhaps you might wanna add that Dr Mario can't walljump whereas regular Mario can.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Bloodlines?

X__x

And yes, Luigi´s sex has more priority then Samus even when Samus is 100% power and Luigi´s only around 70% ^_^

Luigi´s and Link´s hit each other, but Link´s only got that kind of priority in his toes. If you hit with the leg or so, it´s really weak.

Samus got more priority then Link´s, strangely enough. So Samus > Link, Link = Luigi, and Luigi > Samus.

Yoshi´s is tied with Link, but loses to Samus and Luigi.

Doc´s is way weaker at startup, but when timed so it clashes at 14% with the others, it beats Link´s, and ties with Yoshi´s. Luigi´s and Samus beats it though.

>_>

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Good guide. Gonna have individual character matchups?

And on the colors...

Black - Drug Dealer Doc
Blue - The Quack
Red - Malpractice Mario
Green - Gynecologist (WOMG WE HAVE T3H SAMEZORZ!!!)

EDIT: I can't spell...>.>

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, seems like I have to update it once more, I haven't played Doc for a while though. Can't find any competition...

So, no wall-jump in contrast to Mario and an update on Sex-kicks.
Maybe I'll change the names or add variations to them...

Finally, if I would add character match-ups they would be short. No 20-liners. I'd just write a little on what to focus on and what to emphasize less on. A problem is also that I wouldn't be able to write accurately on most match-ups. I mean; Peach, Falcon, Link, Mario, Marth, Falco, Ness, Samus and Jiggly should be a breeze since that's what my friends play but after that I'm gonna have a prob.

So if you want a match-up part you gotta help me out people!

EDIT:
A update has now been done.
The first fout parts of the FAQ has been grammar-checked and parthly rewritten to better reflect my current thoughts on Doc.
Next on is to do the same with the whole "How to play"-part but since this took me almost an hour you'll have to wait... :p
Also I'm starting to sketch on a Vs-area which will probably mark v3.0. But don't expect that one until after christmas.

EDIT 2:
Another minor update has been made.
I've looked through the How To Play part and corrected little spelling and grammatical errors as well as rewriting some parts that felt outdated.
AND, I've been thinking about the Vs-part.
Probably each character will have his own "Title" with a couple of undertitles like "Basic Fighting" and "Edge-Guarding". More on that later. Tomorrow I'm going to by father to celebrate christmas. I'll be back by Saturday evening.

lljb30

Smash Rookie
like the guide...i know i'm late...

as doc being my best, i'm glad to learn a little more about him...

one thing i noticed you didn't mentioned as a good combo: drill kick into uppercut...even though you dissed the uppercut and mentioned the drill kick is aerial combo ready, i like to use it because it knocks the opponent up far enough to ready for a throw (block air rcover attack of course)...that's especially useful at opponents with higher percentage...

and the uppercut is pretty powerful to me because it has more punch than mario's, but i know it will never hold a handle to luigi's critical!

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Aye, great guide, kudos there...
One little thing, 'people doesn't' should be 'people don't' but who cares when the guide is this good :laugh:
Oh, and I didn't see you mentioning how Doc's dash-attack can hit someone that's hanging on the edge. Pretty useless anyway, but 'ell.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I don't think the edge thing would be very useful. Considering if they don't DI they go up and behind you to some degree. We don't want them getting back on... Unless you chain it to a bair or something. Meh.

Anyway, Great Guide. I actually recently found out i prefer Doc's playstyle to Mario's alot more, and this helped me improve. Great job!

The Black Knight

Smash Rookie
Very Good.
I just recently joined smashboards and this was the first post I actually read through (I use 'the necromancer' consistently, and was looking for some pointers). Anyway, I had but one somewhat negative comment: Dr. Tornado is a very (Though not extremely, mind you) effective move for scattering multiple opponents who could possibly be attacking at the same time, and also when used in the air, can allow Dr. Mario to regain balance on the ground, due to the utter lack of recovery skills. Apart from that, I was very impressed, and look forward to returning for updates.

Ganons-Advisor

Smash Cadet
you forgot when your on the edge you can up-B and if your on the right level you can go through the floor straight at them.
its really easy to use on FD.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Dr.Capsule said:
The Gynaecologist
<--- is rolling on the floor laughing :D

I've played this game for quite a while and always used The Necromancer, but I've never actually seen this, to be honest. Now I will use, The Gynaecologist! XD. And since I've recently added Doc to be my 2nd main (solely using Falco just isn't working out), I need a color that I will want to stick to. Rofl.

I didn't see anything about his Up+B Cancel, but I didn't look for it either. I'll edit my post once I check, and if you don't have it then add it! >_<.

I DIDN'T SEE IT :\ add it. You probably don't come to the forums anyway, but add it. =[. It's so cool. And not that hard. Bleh. Bye. :D >__>

Top Bottom