• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest [Mar 28, 2015]Aftershock! Axe, Zero, Dabuz, Junebug (Arlington, TX)

Oracle

Smash Master

Facebook Event

Tourney Locator Thread

REGISTRATION LINK

Preview of top level players in attendance

Zero
Dabuz
Axe
Junebug
Pink Fresh
Eikelmann
Westballz
Ipunchkidsz
Wobbles
VGBC Redd
Milkman
TLoc Denti
FX DFW Dakpo
Sethlon
Lunchables
Ripple
Jason Waterfalls
Nashun
Sosa
Strong Bad
Machiavelli

Finally, the culmination of the Winter Aftershock circuit is here! The circuit has been scoring points from tournaments across the southwest, and now, the top 8 placings for each game will be invited to participate in the top 16 bracket at aftershock, to compete for $3000 in prizes! If you didn't make top 8 on the circuit, don't worry, because all players are eligible to enter the open bracket, the top 8 placers of which will be entered into the top 16 final event! For more information on the Aftershock rankings, go to www.tourneylocator.com/aftershockrankings

1200 Ballpark Way, Arlington, TX 76011​

For our first Aftershock, we will be using the spacious Arlington Convention Center! With over 6000 sq. feet, there will be a ton of room for tournament and friendly setups for all of the available games! There is also a hotel across the street, so for people coming from out of city, theres a convenient place to stay!

Entry Fees
Venue: Closed

Melee Singles: $10
Project M Singles: $10
Smash for Wii U Singles: $10
Melee Doubles: $10 Per Person
Project M Doubles: $10 Per Person
Smash for Wii U Doubles: $10 Per Person

Note: You may not enter more than 4 events
Payout Stucture
Each game will be guaranteed a $1000 base pot, regardless of the number of entrants. However, for each game that breaks 100 entrants, there will be an additional $500 on top of the entry fees.

If you make top 8 on the rankings for any of the games, your venue and entry for that game will be completely free!

Schedule
Saturday, March 28th
9:00 AM: Venue Opens, Friendlies begin
10:00 AM-6:00 PM: Wave 1 of Pools
6:00 PM- 11:00 PM: Wave 2 of Brackets
10:00 PM: Exhibition Matches

All Brackets on day 1 will stop once they reach the top 8 players, who will be seeded into the top 16 bracket for the next day

Sunday, March 29th
9:00 AM: Venue Opens, Friendlies Begin
10:00 AM-4:00 PM: Top 16 singles bracket up to top 8, doubles brackets finishes
4:00: Top 8 Singles
Stream:
All events will be streamed by twitch.tv/tourneylcoator and twitch.tv/clashtournaments

Rules
Keep in mind all rules are not final; these are subject to change up until the week of the event.
All Events

* All games will be best 2/3, until top 8, which will be 3/5

* Pausing during a match, unless approved by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the player who pressed the pause button.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the player who quits.

* If time runs out, the person with the highest number of stocks left wins. If the players have the same number of stocks when time runs out then the player with the lower % is awarded the victory. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a self-destruct move the player who initiated the move is awarded the win; otherwise the player displayed as victorious by the game is determined as the winner. The best example of this is Kirby's neutral B offstage.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii/Wii U loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise prevent the match from finishing that player will the match and may be disqualified at the Tournament Organizer's discretion.

* No excessive stalling. This is up to the judgment of the TO, but in general, stalling is considered making the game unplayable to artificially run the timer of a match (ie excessive infinite shino stall, peach bomber stall, luigi ladder)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as the match finishes within the two-minute time frame between matches.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset; this does not include extending time limit between games

* Set Procedure: Each player will choose their character, double blind pick is available by request. Players will then strike from the starter stage list given, and play on the agreed upon stage. For each subsequent game, the winner will announce their stage ban(s), the loser of the previous game will choose the stage, the winner will chose their character, then the loser will chose their character.

Smash 4

*2 Stock, 6 Minute games

* Starter Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Town and City

*Striking will be performed in a 1-2-1 manner, first strike is determined by RPS

*Counterpick Stages: Halberd, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt

* Each Player gets two stage bans

* Modified Daves Stupid Rule: A player cannot go back to the stage he last won on in the set

Melee

*4 Stock, 8 Minute games

* Starter Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64

*Striking will be performed in a 1-2-1 manner, first strike is determined by RPS

*Counterpick Stages: Pokemon Stadium

* Each Player gets one stage ban in a 2/3 set, no bans in a 3/5 set

* Modified Daves Stupid Rule: A player cannot go back to the stage he last won on in the set

Project M

*4 Stock, 8 Minute games

* Starter Stages: Green Hill Zone, Battlefield, Distant Planet, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2

*Counterpick Stages: Final Desination, Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Warioware, Skyworld

* Each Player gets two stage bans

Additional Info:
All you need to bring is enough money to enter, a controller, and a drive to win! If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to post them here or send me a private message. I hope to see you all at the biggest smash event the Southwest has to offer!

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Bad Smash 4 rules. No other valid city in Tx uses these rules. Not going.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I wish I could negative RSVP. :applejack:
You are not gonna get my support for such a cancerous ruleset.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
"each player gets 1 stage ban" is this in reference to CPing? if so..... :/

2 stock... :/

DHD stage... :/

other than that smash4 ruleset is fine to me

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
This particular event is a circuit event. Players who have gathered enough points through out the season are invited to participate. Look at this as the championship. Or the playoffs even. This is why doubles aren't a thing on the initial card. They are not the focus.

Xyro77

2 stocks is not the standard by any means. Its good to know you are THAT uninformed and want to treat a brand new game as a side event.

Doubles not being here is a HUGE hurt for the few players that will go to this event. Why in the world would ANYBODY go to a singles only event where try-hards will go diddy. Doubles would have been a different opportunity for more money/fame and less diddy domination.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What's cancerous is the entire stock debate. Hell, Smash 4 should be 4 stocks like Melee cause I see Falcon and faster characters get kills really quick. 3 stocks is for scrubby Brawl that was super campy, 2 stocks is for scrubs that want cheesy rage kills when they kill their opponent first. Only real men use 4 stocks, everything else is too fast and you might lose the set if you SD in lower stock matches.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Might be going to this. SoCal uses 2 stock so it's nothing out of the ordinary here.

Sad though that if I do come that it sounds like not all of my Texas buddies will be coming. :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also, is there seriously no doubles at this tournament?
This is what I want to know. Doubles is my favorite!!

PM ruleset:

This is entirely unnecessary in PM (and probably Smash 4 as well). There are more than enough stages such that a player should never have to go back to a stage they lost on unless they agree. Please use the better one.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
This particular event is a circuit event. Players who have gathered enough points through out the season are invited to participate. Look at this as the championship. Or the playoffs even. This is why doubles aren't a thing on the initial card. They are not the focus.
To my understanding, this is the "championship." Most major events that do this also have doubles. Look at Apex. They're doing it. MLG in 2010 and before had doubles at championships too. Doubles is a HUGE part and some people only go for doubles. Makes no sense.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Hey everyone!

First and foremost - We're working on doubles. Please be patient; it's just a matter of us sorting out the details. Of course doubles is on the agenda, and thank you for the feedback you've already provided about that as a side event. I'll personally make sure that we figure out a way to include doubles. We're already making plans to adjust the schedule to allow for it :)

Secondly - At this point the community is divided among whether to do 2 stock or 3 stock for Smash 4 and there is no definitive standard. We are choosing to go with 2 stock for our event based on experience that we have with running our events and after analyzing other events as well. We appreciate your feedback on the rule set, but at this point we will be moving forward with a 2 stock rule set for singles in an effort to make the event as enjoyable and efficient as possible.

Third - I'm surprised that you (Xyro, and Razer as well) are giving the feedback you are in such a negative light. Would it not benefit you more, as a leader of your community, to provide a positive light to the efforts of the community around you and help promote it as we have done for you? I'm not sure what you want to accomplish or how this helps either you or us as a community, but I will make sure that what feedback you do have is taken into consideration.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Sorry if I came off at negative. Thank you for clearing up doubles. It just seemed shocking since it wasn't there with no information and a set schedule.

Two, I think it's justifiable how we come off if you already seem dead set on running 2 stock when there is no standard and the rest of TX runs 3 stock. It seems like a battle that cannot be run after your post eh?

Edit: Can we also have a discussion on the stage list? I think lots of people could take issue with what's posted up.

Last edited:

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
For an event this size that runs this many tournaments concurrently we don't really have much of an option, unfortunately. Worst case scenario we can just make up for it and run 4 stock at Aftershock 2, deal? ;)

P.s. - Joking aside, Doubles will be 3 stock.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Sorry but I know it can be done efficiently with 3 stocks 7 minutes still. You also say it'll be more enjoyable which is the definition of subjective in this case. All my points still stand & your responses just show why people are upset, especially if you're not willing to budge.

Doubles being 3 stocks is obvious. No need to address that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
7 min is probably too short for 3 stock. 2 stock 6 min probably has a lower chance of going to time than 3 stock 7 min. It would probably have to be 8 min

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
"An event this size..."

Go shovel that bull**** down someone else's throat.
Either way, enjoy this crap.:applejack:

Last edited:

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
2 stocks is not the standard by any means. Its good to know you are THAT uninformed
paragon was 2 stock
final battle was 2 stock
ktar was 2 stock
DVDA was 2 stock

i'm sure there are more tournaments that used/use 2 stock.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
I also want to point out that in the rules section, it says that these are not the final rulesets. I have no idea where you guys are getting the idea that these rulesets are finalized 2 months before the tournament. The stagelist in particular is something that hasn't really been worked on; its just a placeholder i copied from our last shockwave. There will be more discussion on stages in the upcoming weeks

Xyro77

paragon was 2 stock
final battle was 2 stock
ktar was 2 stock
DVDA was 2 stock

i'm sure there are more tournaments that used/use 2 stock.
And I can quote just as many or more using 3. The point is, 2 stock isn't the standard, ESPECIALLY in Tx where the largest smash city (Houston) and the 3rd largest (SA) us 3.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I also want to point out that in the rules section, it says that these are not the final rulesets. I have no idea where you guys are getting the idea that these rulesets are finalized 2 months before the tournament. The stagelist in particular is something that hasn't really been worked on; its just a placeholder i copied from our last shockwave. There will be more discussion on stages in the upcoming weeks
Save it for the north, Alex. :applejack:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Yes, I read that and welcome stage discussion. But that should apply to stock rules as well which Infinity just posted will not be subject to change lol. Counterproductive.

Xyro77

Imagine posting a smash 4 event with no solid ruleset even though the game has been out for 5 months (by the time this event happens).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
tl;dr if you won't come to a tournament because it's 2 stock then don't come, simple as that, get out of the thread & stop wasting everyone's time. feel free to dissent to the stagelist tho if that's what's holding you back.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Warning Received
tl;dr if you won't come to a tournament because it's 2 stock then don't come, simple as that, get out of the thread. feel free to dissent to the stagelist tho if that's what's holding you back.
Why are you even posting? Go back to playing PM. :applejack:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm posting because I'm attending this tournament and entering Smash 4 Singles at it.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
tl;dr if you won't come to a tournament because it's 2 stock then don't come, simple as that, get out of the thread & stop wasting everyone's time. feel free to dissent to the stagelist tho if that's what's holding you back.
Idk if this is sarcastic or not. If it isn't, lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not being sarcastic, Infinity made that pretty clear earlier in the thread.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
If the ruleset clearly says ruleset isn't finalized, which means I'm guessing it's open to discussion. I'm posting because I'm interested in attending but have concerns with the ruleset which doesn't align with the norm in TX at the moment.

So if it's open to discussion, then I want to voice my concerns especially when the opening post says rules are subject to change.

tl;dr no.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
They are subject to change, but we know what we're doing. I have a ton of experience running tournaments, and from what I have seen, based on evidence from our own and other tournaments running 3 stock, is that the tournament will not only take much longer to run, but will also be less enjoyable to watch and play in. 3 stock might be fine at smaller, 1-2 event tournaments, but this is projected to hit 100+ in all 3 games, and I don't want a fiasco where multiple games have to suffer, run late, and lose stream time because a single event takes way too long to finish. With all of the evidence and observation I've had, its going to take much, much more than a few players angrily complaining without reasoning or proof to convince me off of 2 stock.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If the ruleset clearly says ruleset isn't finalized, which means I'm guessing it's open to discussion. I'm posted because I'm interested in attending but have concerns with the ruleset which doesn't align with the norm in TX at the moment.

So if it's open to discussion, then I want to voice my concerns especially when the opening post says rules are subject to change.

tl;dr no.
Well if you all wanted an open discussion, you guys started off on a sour note by just trashing the rules without explanation. Cancer rules, rules suck so I'm not going, yeah very open and mature guys. Took more than 1-2 posts for some complaints to be articulated in any meaningful way. This is more proof that stock debate sucks

Top Bottom