• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 29, 2014] Smash INTENSIFIES (Montreal, QC)

QcRice

Smash Rookie

Smash INTENSIFIES is a new tournament series coming to Montreal. With support from CESA (Concordia E-Sport Association), Smash Montreal presents a competitive tournament scene and social experience that will allow players to meet head to head. Join us and play with a wide range of players and skill levels in an offline environment.

This event is a 1 day tournament happening at Concordia University. Featuring the highest in-demand games played in Montreal’s competitive Smash community, come join our fiercest competitors for an event you’ll surely remember.

Grab your controller and game pads and let the Smashing Intensify!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tournament Director

Rice - David Yeung

Melee TOs

Sabz - Sabrina Nguyen
Kyle - Caio Vidal

Project M TOs

Shairn - Brian Bouchard
M83 - Samuel Lévesque
Wotan - Miles Wilkie

Smash 3ds/Wii U TOs

Pixie - Alex Laliberté
Ally - Elliot Carrozas

Date: November 29th, 2014: 10 am - 11 pm

Concordia University H Building, 7th Floor - CSU Lounge
1455 Boulevard de Maisonneuve O, Montréal, Québec
H3G 1M8

DRUGS AND ALCOHOL ARE ENTIRELY FORBIDDEN

Stream:
www.twitch.tv/ssbmontreal

Stream Schedule:
To be Announced

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER AND 3DS*

*BRING SETUPS (TV AND CONSOLES)*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Registration Available at Gamers’ Vault until Wednesday the 26th of November.
Pre-Registration ALSO Available at Concordia 2nd Floor H building on the 12th and 26th of November.
**If you are out of town or cannot acces gamers' vault easily, please contact us.

Venue Fee - 5$ Pre-registration/10$ at the door

Pre-Registration Available at Gamers’ Vault until Wednesday the 26th of November.
Pre-Registration ALSO Available at Concordia 2nd Floor H building on the 12th and 26th of November.
**If you are out of town or cannot acces gamers' vault easily, please contact us.

*Bring a CRT Television and get a 5$ discount
*Bring a Wii U with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and get a 5$ discount (for friendlies and bracket purposes only)
***Discounts apply only to venue fee

Melee Singles - 10$
Project M Singles - 10$
Smash 3ds (top 16 Bracket on WiiU) Singles - 10$

----------------------

Prize Payout
Less than 32 entrants

1st place : 60$
2nd place :30%
3rd place :10%

Greater than 32 entrants

1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 5%
5th (x2) place: 2.5%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attempted schedule

*Players that register for at least 2 events will be scheduled for different waves

Venue and registration opens @ 10:30am

Registration closes @ 12:00pm sharp (Melee/PM/3DS&WiiU)

Wave 1 of pools for Melee @ 1:15pm
Wave 2 of pools for Melee @ 3:15 pm
Lunch Break @ 5:00 pm
Melee bracket begins @ 6 pm

Wave 1 of pools for PM @ 1:00 pm
Wave 2 of pools for PM @ 3:00pm
PM bracket begins @ 6pm

Wave 1 of pools for 3DS @ 1:30 pm
Wave 2 of pools for 3DS @ 4:00 pm
Wii U Bracket begins @ 7:00 pm

*BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER AND 3DS*

Tournament rules and format

All events will be hosted in a Pools format. Depending on the attendance of each event, players will be spread out in 8 to 16 person pools and the players with the highest score will move on to the Bracket stage consisting of the top 16 players of their respective event.

************ Warning ************

We might not have enough Wii U set ups, it would be appreciate if players would accelerate the pools by playing matches on their 3DS instead

************ Warning ************

DISQUALIFICATION RULE

After your match is called,
5 minutes later -> 1st warning
10 minutes later -> 2nd warning
15 minutes later -> DQ

DQ warnings will be called with a microphone and timers will be displayed in a projector, together with the bracket matches that are supposed to be played.

Melee Singles Ruleset:
General Rules:

Singles Starter Stages:

• Final Destination
• Yoshi’s Story
• Dreamland
• Battlefield
• Fountain of Dreams

Singles Counterpicks:
• Pokemon Stadium

Stage Bans
• For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
• For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Others rules
• 4 Stock Matches, 8 Minute Time limit
• All sets are best 2/3 games. Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals sets are best 3/5 games.
• All items off and set to none
• If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
• Unless both players agree before a set, If you pause-reset a game, you forfeit that match. It doesn’t matter if you spiked your opponent, or if they were already dying off the top, just let the the game go to “GAME” in any tournament match.

Set procedure:
1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage. 1-2-1
3. The players play the first match of the set.
**Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick
9. The next match is played.
10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regard to the tournament environment. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Stage List and Rule Set Familiarity
2. Venue and Entry Fees
3. Arriving On Time
4. Maintaining Personal Hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Whining

Project M Singles Ruleset:

Project M will be run exclusively on version 3.02

General rules:

Starter stages:
• Yoshi's story
• Battlefield
• Pokemon Stadium 2
• Final Destination
• Smashville
• Dreamland
• Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks: (stages available after the 1st match)

• Warioware
• Skyworld
• Green Hill Zone
• Yoshi's island (Brawl).

Stage Bans
• For Best of 3 sets and best of 5 sets, each player gets 3 stage bans.

Others rules
• 4 Stock Matches, 8 Minute Time limit
• All sets are best 2/3 games. Semis Final, Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals sets are best 3/5 games.
• All items off and set to none.
• If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
• Unless both players agree before a set, If you pause-reset a game, you forfeit that match. It doesn’t matter if you spiked your opponent, or if they were already dying off the top, just let the the game go to “GAME” in any tournament match.

Set procedure:

2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage. 2-3-1
**Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Smash 3DS/Wii U Singles Ruleset:

Top 16 advance to Double Elimination brackets on Wii U only

General rules

Starters:

Final Destination (Original only, can only play omega upon player agreement)
Battlefield
Smashville

Counter Picks (available after the 1rst match):

Town & City
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege

Stage bans:
• For both best of 3 and best of 5, Players get 2 bans.

Other Rules:
• 3 Stock 8 minutes matches
• Items set to None and Off
• Mii Fighters are banned
• Equipment and Custom Moves are banned
• All sets are best 2/3 games. Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals sets are best 3/5 games.
• All items off and set to none

Set procedure:
2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage.(Rock, paper, scizor, loser's ban 1 starter stage, winner pick)
***Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans 2 stages.
8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.

Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regard to the tournament environment. In other words, players are responsible for:

1.Stage List and Rule Set Familiarity
2.Venue and Entry Fees
3.Arriving On Time
4.Maintaining Personal Hygiene
5.Controllers and Character Knowledge
6.Minimizing Whining

Montreal Smash Hubs

SSB64 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ssb64mtl/

SSBM - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ssbmtl

SSBB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/144552745610487/

Project M - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pmmtl/

Smash 4 (3ds/WiiU) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ssb4mtl/

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Sooo... how bout that 3.5? I'll see if I can get a carpool from Boston, but just lettin ya know that our chances of coming if 3.5 is there will be much higher than 3.02.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Who do we contact if we can't get tickets ahead but want them anyway ?
Could we have a little bit more info once on campus to get to the site (never went to concordia) ?
Since I assume concordia to be kinda big and easy to get lost into.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Who do we contact if we can't get tickets ahead but want them anyway ?
Could we have a little bit more info once on campus to get to the site (never went to concordia) ?
Since I assume concordia to be kinda big and easy to get lost into.
We are supposed to have a registration office, as soon they solve their technical problems with their phone, I will give you the number to call them.
I will address to Rice the HOW TO GET TO THE H BUILDING.

Concordia is not that big, tbh, but I understand that is not cool to find the place on your own.

Sooo... how bout that 3.5? I'll see if I can get a carpool from Boston, but just lettin ya know that our chances of coming if 3.5 is there will be much higher than 3.02.
It is going to be 3.5.

Last edited:

UIFlames

Smash Rookie
I don't quite understand this : ***Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.

Can anyone enlighten me? This is going to be my first tournament.

Bazkip

Smash Master
I don't quite understand this : ***Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.

For port priority, see http://www.ssbwiki.com/Port_priority

Neutral start refers to where on the stage you start the match, so like on Battlefield it can start out with one player on a platform and the other on the ground, which is an advantage for the player on the ground. So you may want to contest this and get your opponent to change their port so they'll also start on a platform.

You don't really need to worry about either since they're pretty minor things and 99% of the time nobody is gonna bother or even care about them.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961

Port priority: Depending on which controller port you have, one player will have priority over the other when the game needs to break a tie of sorts. For example, when two grabs occur at the same time, both players grab the ledge simultaneously the game looks at the players' controller ports and the port closest to one will win and get the grab/ledge. There are other situations where port priority affects the match, such as being attacked simultaneously when one player is grabbing the other.

Neutral start: On most stages in Melee and some PM/sm4sh stages players will not start at an equivalent location, one often being on the ground/top platform while the other will be on a side platform. In these cases, the player who has the lower ground is advantaged, so to avoid it, any player may elect for a neutral start, which means that at the beginning of them match, both players will take place below side platforms before counting down to begin the match.

EDIT: Ninja'd

UIFlames

Smash Rookie
Port priority: Depending on which controller port you have, one player will have priority over the other when the game needs to break a tie of sorts. For example, when two grabs occur at the same time, both players grab the ledge simultaneously the game looks at the players' controller ports and the port closest to one will win and get the grab/ledge. There are other situations where port priority affects the match, such as being attacked simultaneously when one player is grabbing the other.

Neutral start: On most stages in Melee and some PM/sm4sh stages players will not start at an equivalent location, one often being on the ground/top platform while the other will be on a side platform. In these cases, the player who has the lower ground is advantaged, so to avoid it, any player may elect for a neutral start, which means that at the beginning of them match, both players will take place below side platforms before counting down to begin the match.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Thanks for the clarification :)!

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Techiyo here:

I'd like to know when you guys are going to start install everything? I'm gonna show up and take some pictures for my school project... please? :D

D

Deleted member

It was great meeting you all at the smash tournament. Have not been on the scene since the early brawl years. Like everyone else my goal is to get better. So if there is anything smash related events like smash fest and stuff please let me know. I do not have facebook so this and Nintendo dojo is where you can find me. Also I do not have a Wii U. So if anyone wants to play me online just PM me your FC. My Fc: 3797 6229 6293

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom